Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Bike8 North (Scotland in the main) I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Hi there guys
Bike8 North (Scotland in the main) I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 7:20 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Bike8 North (Scotland in the main) I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Bike8 North (Scotland in the main) I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Bike8 North (Scotland in the main) I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Bike8 North (Scotland in the main) I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Bike8 North (Scotland in the main) I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Bike8 North (Scotland in the main) I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Bike8 North (Scotland in the main) I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Bike8 North (Scotland in the main) I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Bike8 North (Scotland in the main)

Go down 
+4
drewsieboy
marco
Meldrew
tarmacburner2
8 posters
AuthorMessage
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

Bike8 North (Scotland in the main) Empty
PostSubject: Bike8 North (Scotland in the main)   Bike8 North (Scotland in the main) I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2012 6:34 am

Two of us set off at 10:15 on Monday 17th Sept to do the northern half of the Bike8 route, me on the Silverwing and my mate on his BMW 650GS (800cc twin). The nearest point to start the route was Sedbergh. The first day was Sedbergh,
Hawes, Richmond, Hexham, Jedburgh and Newtown St Boswells. This was our first overnight stop. Leaving NSB on the second day I forgot to turn the tracker on until we got to Stow (via Galashiels), on up to Dalkeith and on the Edinburgh By Pass, over the Forth Road Bridge which is a spectactular piece of engineering but not as good as the
Railway Bridge. Once over that it was on to Auchterarder, Perth and Scone. Once we got passed Blairgowrie the scenery and the roads just got better and better, pity the weather didn't do the same. Passing Balmoral Castle the Royal Standard was flying so the Queen was in residence. We gave her a wave and continued on. Up through Tomintoul and reached the Moray Firth at Nairn. We decided to get on the other side of Inverness before looking for somewhere to stay. Found a hotel at Inchmore. Day three, Inchmore to the Muir of Ord and Garve. Here we turned westward towrds Loch Maree. Down through Torridon was brilliant, mountains rising up virtually by the roadside. No easy walk in the get warmed up if you wanted to climb them. The weather was good so we decided to ride around the Applecross Peninsular. Applecross has the only petrol pumps I know that are owned by the community. Then it was over the most stunning part of the ride, the Bealach Na Ba (Pass of the Cattle). The views were breathtaking. Then down the other side, onto Lochcarron for lunch. After lunch it was down to Eilean Donan Castle, passed the Five Sisters of Kintail, which we never saw as the weather had clagged in plus low cloud. Invergarry, Fort William and Ballachulish, over the bridge. The weather had improved greatly and Glencoe was bathed in evening sunshine. I must say that the ride up through Glencoe was something to remember, best I have ever seen it and I've seen it a few times. We stopped at Tyndrum for the night, the chicken curry in Paddy's Bar was excellent. Next morning we packed in the rain, it rained passed Loch Lomond, the Erskine Bridge, Glasgow, Biggar, Moffat and it stopped raining just before Dumfries. Dumfries onto Gretna, and fourth night spent at Brampton. Next morning it was dry and bright. An easy day riding to Alston, Middleton in Teesdale, and finally to Sedbergh to complete the route. That just left the fifty miles back to home. Tomtom showed 1017 miles from door to door, Silverwing was a bit dirty when I put it in the garage on Friday evening.
The Silverwing behaved flawlessly, used a bit of oil 300ml which I was surprised at. No idea of how much petrol it used as when we fill the bikes we just pass the nozzle to each other. (We have what we call the 'Fun Fund', we both put money in and use that for petrol, meals, accommodation etc).
Friday night - luxury of my own bed.
Here is link to the tracker's recording of the route. It will open in Google Earth if you have it installed.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/89523430/bike8north.kml

Would I do it again? Just let me fill up the tank and I'm away.

Photos too big so I'll add some links to Dropbox. Hope these work.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/89523430/Brewtime.JPG

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/89523430/Foreign-Soil.JPG

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/89523430/glencoe.JPG

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/89523430/Me_taking_Phil.JPG

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/89523430/Nice_Bin%21.JPG

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/89523430/Phil_taking_me.JPG

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Bike8 North (Scotland in the main)   Bike8 North (Scotland in the main) I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2012 7:25 am

Nice account of your trip and good photos too, I'm sure marco aka Horobags will enjoy seeing that Silver Wing being put to good use. Smile
Back to top Go down
marco
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2010-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Bike8 North (Scotland in the main)   Bike8 North (Scotland in the main) I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2012 10:54 am

Laughing , nice one meldrew, well remembered, after the trip to France earlier this year with Fred, I dont really look at his s/wing as my old scoot anymore, mind you not a bad thing if he's using so much oil, Shocked Laughing , only joking , great pics Fred, sounds like a great trip, Im jelous!!
Just a thought, I wonder if the K+N, power commander, and arrow can which makes the engine breath easier, can cause the increase in oil consumption ??, did you burn any oil in France Fred?? that trip was around 900 miles.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Bike8 North (Scotland in the main)   Bike8 North (Scotland in the main) I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2012 12:42 pm

Another question for young Fred, why did you start at Sedbergh, a small South Cumbrian town home of the posh boys Public school, and Steadmans one of the best butchers in the country that does up to 100 varieties of sausages.

Many's the time I've rode past that old sandstone school on my MZ on the way to a MZ Riders Club camping weekend at nearby Dent, saw the Rugby teams out on the playing fields, and heard the traditional cry of the school prefects..."Fetch me another boy, this one's split!" Smile
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Bike8 North (Scotland in the main)   Bike8 North (Scotland in the main) I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2012 1:33 pm

Meldrew wrote:
Another question for young Fred, why did you start at Sedbergh, a small South Cumbrian town home of the posh boys Public school, and Steadmans one of the best butchers in the country that does up to 100 varieties of sausages.

Many's the time I've rode past that old sandstone school on my MZ on the way to a MZ Riders Club camping weekend at nearby Dent, watched the Rugby teams out on the playing fields, and heard the traditional cry of the school prefects..."Fetch me another boy, this one's split!" Smile
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

PostSubject: Re: Bike8 North (Scotland in the main)   Bike8 North (Scotland in the main) I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2012 1:44 pm

Hello Meldrew,

The route done by bike 8 actually uses Hawes as their start and finish point but it was more logical for us to go up the M6 to J37 and go across to Sedbergh. So we did the Sedbergh to Hawes bit first instead of last. As you will see on the .kml file that on the way home we left Sedbergh and came down through Kirkby Lonsdale and jumped on the motorway at Lancaster.
You can obviously start and finish the route anywhere, to do the southern half we will probably ride over to Skipton to start it.

Already received my silver Bike8 badge from the magazine.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
marco
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Bike8 North (Scotland in the main)   Bike8 North (Scotland in the main) I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2012 2:33 pm

I joined the MZRC in 2001, used to go to the lancs meets at Leyland, quite a friendly bunch, and some strange bikes, not just the MZs,
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Bike8 North (Scotland in the main)   Bike8 North (Scotland in the main) I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 8:30 am

I joined about 1977-8, and was dead keen from the early 80's to the mid 90's. I went to quite a few MZ rallies in Germany, Holland, and Czechoslovakia, and was a third of the MZRC team that went to the FIM Rally in 1986.

I lost interest in the early 90's when I got back into BMW's, and lost interest in bikes generally before I bought a Helix. I carried on my membership out of loyalty until 2003-4, and that's about it. I've got an ETZ 250 rusting away in my garage, spare wheels, general spares, and a couple of boxes of MZ Rider magazine. I really should have got rid of all this stuff years ago, and now my house is up for sale I should make the effort. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
marco
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Bike8 North (Scotland in the main)   Bike8 North (Scotland in the main) I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 11:58 am

One of the latest additions to the MZRC committee, is ,,,,,, well the best complement I can say about him is that he's unbearable.!!
If you bung your ETZ in the mzrc 'for sale section' on their website, I think you,ll be suprised at the interest you,ll get Meldrew , even for the spares. Just put 'non member after the advert, it,ll still go in. Then wait for the dreaded phone calls 'what, where ,when, how much'?? Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
drewsieboy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Bike8 North (Scotland in the main)   Bike8 North (Scotland in the main) I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2012 7:31 am

Is there a scottish section to join? I am getting my s/wing on 25 th feb . delivered from dobles. Ilive in the penicuik area i would like to meet fellow s/wing riders. All the best. Mind dont use force use vaseline.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

PostSubject: Re: Bike8 North (Scotland in the main)   Bike8 North (Scotland in the main) I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2012 7:43 am

Hello drewsieboy,

You would probably get more response if you post a new thread in the introductions section introducing yourself.

No separate Scotland section, not many posters in the UK section. You could always start a thread in the UK section asking for Scottish members to post there, you may be able to arrange some meets or rides.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Bike8 North (Scotland in the main)   Bike8 North (Scotland in the main) I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2012 9:22 am

drewsieboy wrote:
Is there a scottish section to join?

There was originally an England section set up for members on this side of the Atlantic. It was changed about 18 months ago to UK section at the request of Mick, a Scottish forum member. Neutral
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Bike8 North (Scotland in the main)   Bike8 North (Scotland in the main) I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2012 9:57 am

drewsieboy wrote:
Is there a scottish section to join? I am getting my s/wing on 25 th feb . delivered from dobles. Ilive in the penicuik area i would like to meet fellow s/wing riders. All the best. Mind dont use force use vaseline.

Nah laddie but there is an introduction section that will give you less grief and more joy!!!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Bike8 North (Scotland in the main)   Bike8 North (Scotland in the main) I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2012 1:23 pm

Nice pics tarmacburner. Glad you had good time. cheers
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Bike8 North (Scotland in the main)   Bike8 North (Scotland in the main) I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2012 1:32 pm

TMB, just viewed your pics!!

The 'brewtime' brought memories and a pic I took of what you don't want to find in a 'passing place'.

Bike8 North (Scotland in the main) Passingplace0001
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Nowun
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Nowun

Number of posts : 288
Registration date : 2012-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Bike8 North (Scotland in the main)   Bike8 North (Scotland in the main) I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2012 4:27 pm

Great pics, TMB - looks like a good trip
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Bike8 North (Scotland in the main)   Bike8 North (Scotland in the main) I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2012 5:32 pm

Love seeing the pictures and glad you had a good safe trip.
Old Dave in Western Nebraska
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bike8 North (Scotland in the main)   Bike8 North (Scotland in the main) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bike8 North (Scotland in the main)
Page 1 of 1