Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Today at 4:33 pm

» New member from Europe
another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

another not bought one yet

Go down 
+10
jobo2mi
MikeO
surlybiker58
kbcmdba
model28a
tarmacburner2
"Hi Yo"
RArch
Meldrew
gooffy
14 posters
AuthorMessage
gooffy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
gooffy

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2012-09-13

another not bought one yet Empty
PostSubject: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 1:26 am

Hi all
Last time i rode a bike was quite a while ago when i had a honda super dream, now my mate wants me to go touring with him in europe,

now i understand it has been a long time and i mean to get a lot of road hours in before then but my question is, i am only 5.5 and i really like the look of the
silverwing 600 scooter compared to a touring bike.
I plan to buy a 2nd hand is there anything i need to look out for and would my height suit the bike, nothing worse than hopping around at traffic lights etc
cheers
Goof
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 3:28 am

I'm glad you've now amended goldwing to Silver Wing, your questions specific to buying used have been answered many times before in previous posts and as recent as last week if you do a Search.

As for touring it's more about preparation and attitude than any specific bike or scooter, they're only taking you where you make the effort to ride to.

Last edited by Meldrew on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 3:42 am

welcome

As for your height check this site out http://cycle-ergo.com Click Add a Motorcycle > Honda > Scooter > Silverwing then alter the settings to suit your height. It seems if you have an inseam of 29" you should have no problem.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
another not bought one yet 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 3:53 am

welcome welcome welcome Why not go to a dealer and see what fits?
Back to top Go down
gooffy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
gooffy

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 5:06 am

ha couldnt afford the goldwing, going to a dealer this weekend for a shot hopefully i return unscathed
cheers
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 5:31 am

gooffy wrote:
ha couldnt afford the goldwing, going to a dealer this weekend for a shot hopefully i return unscathed
cheers

Check out the current crop of 400cc maxi scooters too, they're very capable solo tourers and being single cylinder they're lighter than the Silver Wing to move about.

I suppose living where you do you're quite handy for the big dealerships in Edinburgh or down the A1 in Newcastle.
Back to top Go down
gooffy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
gooffy

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 2:15 pm

yup , going to blyth tomorrow seen a silver, silverwing 2006, 12k on the clock for 2800, along with back box and heated handles, looks good,
i might check out the 400 as will be traveling alone
cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 3:44 pm

I'm only 5'10 and I feel too tall for the Swing, especially with the stock shield.

IMO 5'5 is the perfect height for it.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 4:53 pm

Hello,
Silverwing makes a great tourer. I find that when doing motorway speeds you aren't wringing it's neck but have plenty in reserve.
one modification a lot of people do is change the stock screen. Mine has a Givi Airflow AF214 on and it is excellent.

Good luck with finding the right one. (Marco has just bought a brand new one so it will probably be for sale sometime in October.)

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 5:11 pm

tarmacburner2 wrote:
(Marco has just bought a brand new one so it will probably be for sale sometime in October.)
But did he get a 2007 or a 2012 ? Question
Back to top Go down
kbcmdba
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
kbcmdba

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2011-05-05

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 10:08 am

Welcome.

At 6' with a 32" inseam, I have no problem enjoying my rides even with the stock screen though I'm sure that putting a taller screen on would help withbuffetting but I'm not convinced that I will like it enough to warrant the drop in fuel economy. Time and trial will tell.

KB
Back to top Go down
http://kbcmdba.blogspot.com/
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 3:31 pm

I put the Air flow on and I still get in the 50s mpg. Yes if I am heavy with right hand it will drop down in the mid to high 40s but that happened with the stock screen also.
Back to top Go down
surlybiker58
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
surlybiker58

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-12-11

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 8:02 pm

I did not notice any change in fuel consumption after I changed from
the stock windshield to the taller Givi .

Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 3:34 am

Less buffeting/turbulance should cause less drag so, in theory, the Givi screen should not increase fuel-consumption.

I remember hearing a scientific kind of chap talking about roof-boxes on cars.
He said that instead of mounting them with the pointy end forwards, if they were mounted with the back at the front they were better aerodynamically as the pointy end didn't create a vortex at the back which causes drag.

Last edited by MikeO on Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
gooffy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
gooffy

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 4:12 am

got to dealer, swing gone, hopefully another will pop up soon
Back to top Go down
jobo2mi
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
jobo2mi

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2011-06-06

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 7:27 am

Sorry gooffy .... that happens a lot! I've been looking for a new Swing too, but not in any hurry. One will come along.

I have others keeping their eyes and ears open too. Good things come to those who wait!

Next spring I'll be looking in earnest. This ride season is nearly over for me (another month or so) so not in any hurry this year. When the new season gets closer (end of February, first of March) I'll be actively looking again.

Back to top Go down
http://www.josbooks4kids.com
gooffy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
gooffy

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 9:01 am

aye i want it for next spring, but was pipped at the post for a good buy,
gonna have to get out the staring blocks quicker next time
as dont seem to be much going in the far north Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 3:46 pm

Good luck mate, second hand Wings are like hens teeth here in Blighty!

I have never seen one in a dealers, seen a few on t'internet, but aways asking too much.

If I hear of one going I'll post or PM you! Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 4:45 pm

Come on there's plenty of used Silver Wing's about, there's three for sale at Bradford Motorcycle Centre, two at Doble Honda in Surrey, and Bike Trader and MCN always have a few for sale.. Check a few Honda dealers Used Bikes lists and you'll find more. It depends how much you really want one and how much effort you're prepared to put in.

If you don't want to ride out of your local area to look at used Silver Wings, you can always do a deal on the phone and have it delivered.
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 5:51 pm

Keep an eye out for them on Ebay too, dealers list on there as well as private people. You can setup searches that will email you when new listings appears just like you can at http://www.autotrader.co.uk/bikes

You can get a pick delivered to anywhere in UK for £100-120, so you can broaden your search if you thrust the dealer.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 7:26 pm

RArch, I've found it's usually the dealers doing the "thrusting". Smile
Back to top Go down
gooffy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
gooffy

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 7:44 am

i have both on favorites and check daily, maybe i'm being fussy but i would like one about 3-4yr old low milage with the extras and preferably black,
one just popped up in edinbough for 4250 black 09 plate no photo in yet, might get a deal here with no trade in Wink
Back to top Go down
gooffy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
gooffy

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 4:00 pm

HI all
Looking at a 2007 plate, swing, with 16k on the clock, has anyone any opinion on the milage,
asking 3k for it, back box and heated grips trying for a discount with no trade in Smile
any thoughts going to have to get it delivered 200 mile away
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 4:07 pm

Not going into the money bit, we pay for what were happy with.

If it's anything to go by my 2009 has 16k miles on it.

Has it a service history? Belt is changed at 16k miles. So that SHOULD have been replaced recently!!! Worth asking and checking for receipts for confirmation. (Belts are aprox, £100 - £130 if done by a UK dealer)
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 4:15 pm

gooffy wrote:
HI all
Looking at a 2007 plate, swing, with 16k on the clock, has anyone any opinion on the milage,
asking 3k for it, back box and heated grips trying for a discount with no trade in Smile
any thoughts going to have to get it delivered 200 mile away

It sounds like it's the 07, one of the three Silver Wings for sale at Bradford Motorcycle Centre that I mentioned in an early post.

I'm f****** good aren't I! Wink
Back to top Go down
gooffy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
gooffy

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 2:25 am

aye yer good any comments on the bike though heehee
Back to top Go down
derekj
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2012-08-19

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 4:23 am

hi goofy welcome to the forum.
I wouldnt worry to much about mileage, here is the logic its a 600cc scooter , so not going to be owned by a rough 17year old on cbt .
I have an 06 56 plate with 53000 miles on it 1 owner dealer history and it does not miss a beat.
I think when you do make the decision you wont be sorry , i have come down from a vfr800 and not sorry it was best for me .
Being slightly vertically challenged with 29 indide leg i find the bike is spot on size wise. The room for storage etc is superb and with a 51 litre box on the rear you wont need much esle to take all of your touring equipt.
Hope this helps in some way
DEREKJ
Back to top Go down
http://www.aberdarepark.co.uk
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 4:45 am

If I was you I'd be more concerned about getting quite a heavy and powerful maxi scooter delivered when you've no previous riding experience on scooters of any kind.

p.s. That Honda top box is 45 litres.

Back to top Go down
derekj
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2012-08-19

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 5:05 am

Personally i would use it as a chance to familiarise myself with the swing and ride it home take it easy and you will be surprised how quickly you gel with it , they are absolutely brilliant things to ride and so smooth .

GO FOR IT BUY IT ENJOY IT , I DARE YOU , ITS THE ONLY BIKE TO RIDE.
Derekj
Back to top Go down
http://www.aberdarepark.co.uk
gooffy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
gooffy

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 3:10 pm

Gotcha
2005, silver swing, 12k on clock, hope to collect next week
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 4:20 pm

gooffy wrote:
Gotcha
2005, silver swing, 12k on clock, hope to collect next week
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Nice one!

Now - how to take your mind off next week? Wink
Back to top Go down
mick
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mick

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2011-11-11

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 2:40 pm

gooffy wrote:
Hi all
, i am only 5.5 i need to look out for and would my height suit the bike, nothing worse than hopping around at traffic lights etc
cheers
Goof

hi Goof and welcome( better late than never Smile )

been riding scooters then onto bikes and now back to the scooter
everything i have ridden i have always been on my tip toes when stationary obviously Laughing

but the silverwing is the only scooter that i can sit stationary with both my feet just about flat on the ground
which is a bonus
i am 5` 7" FYI

when i got mine was looking for one about 3 years old but not much about unless i travelled south to get them as bit scarce up in west of scotland
but decided to get one from a dealer in grangemouth but was a year old and x demo
as talked myself into the cost it would be to go south to get one etc i wouldnt be saving that much

but honestly best thing i have ridden
sold my vfr vtec to get a vespa gts 300 but was good about town
but no power when on motorway but honestly cant fault the FJS (fjc) just wish i got one sooner
Back to top Go down
gooffy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
gooffy

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 10:00 am

Well it arrived this morning, and i love it, i need a new fairing and a new front tyre everything else seems sound , done around 50 mile breaking myself in
Smile
Back to top Go down
rodenbach
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
rodenbach

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 10:49 am

Enjoy your Wing !
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 3:16 pm

gooffy wrote:
done around 50 mile breaking myself in
Smile

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 4:59 pm

Hello,
What is the condition of the rear tyre? Lots of advice of the forum as to tyres to get. For what it is worth I fitted Metzeler Feelfree Wintecs on mine, front and rear. Bought online from mytyres and fitted by local mechanic.

What parts of Europe are you thinking of going to? I have digitised maps of quite a few countries if you want them. Files are .jpg but also have a lot that are calibrated for Oziexplorer so with GPS you can find your location.

Download TYRE, free software, great for planning.

Back to top Go down
gooffy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
gooffy

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2012 1:58 am

cheers m8 shall let you know, not untill next summer.
I'm a bit cautious about the rear tyre plenty tred but when looking through the history he has had a punture repair done on it, wonder if it is safer replacing both.

i was reading about tyres on the forum but i might just go for what you have got i take it you rcomend them.

thinking of installing a crane to get the wing on the center stand a will prob get the knack sometime but nearly done my back in today trying ha Laughing
The windshield is very shabby think it has been cleaned with a brillo pad
but it did give me good protection i am only 5.5 so i might just stick with a new one, but i do like the look of the airflow
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2012 6:33 am

Gooffy, you have a PM.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
gooffy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
gooffy

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2012 2:58 pm

cheers m8
i actually have 7 pms, i never thought of checking them

tx for pointing me there
Back to top Go down
gooffy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
gooffy

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 3:47 pm

DuggleBogey wrote:
I'm only 5'10 and I feel too tall for the Swing, especially with the stock shield.

IMO 5'5 is the perfect height for it.

so right m8 perfect
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 4:07 pm

The stock screen wobbles about far too much for my liking.

A previous owner of my scoot had changed the screen for a Givi, then I changed that for a Givi Airflow. - i think that one is a 'keeper'

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
gooffy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
gooffy

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 1:28 am

ordered the airflow, hopefully i can find the instructions on here how to fit it
cheers m8
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 5:32 am

gooffy, When you get your new screen, there is a "pictorial" under the Honda Silver Wing section on the forum page. This should help with the installation. You could actually go there now, but that's not a guy thing. Wait till you get stuck and then look . Smile
Back to top Go down
gooffy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
gooffy

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 7:46 am

Shocked lol ,cheers m8ty
Back to top Go down
gooffy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
gooffy

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 3:10 pm

I have just over 12 k on the clock and i going to get the wing serviced,
i have no handbook
would this be a major service or standard oil change etc,
going by what i have got it was last serviced at 8k 2 yr ago
Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
surlybiker58
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
surlybiker58

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-12-11

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 6:26 pm

Besides the oil change and filter, at 12k miles , the air cleaner get replaced,
along with the Brake fluid . The crankcase breather and the belt case air cleaner get cleaned. Engine idle speed, Emission control system, drive belt,
brake pads, brake lock system, and sidestand all get inspected .
Hopefully they did the full 8k service prior or you could be looking at
other items too.
Back to top Go down
gooffy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
gooffy

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 4:51 am

surlybiker58 wrote:
Besides the oil change and filter, at 12k miles , the air cleaner get replaced,
along with the Brake fluid . The crankcase breather and the belt case air cleaner get cleaned. Engine idle speed, Emission control system, drive belt,
brake pads, brake lock system, and sidestand all get inspected .
Hopefully they did the full 8k service prior or you could be looking at
other items too.

cheers m8
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: another not bought one yet   another not bought one yet I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

another not bought one yet
Page 1 of 1