Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???

Go down 
+47
terrier
arskal
The Bern
Easyrider
AldusFran
Dale N.
GoonerKev
bikehiker
Osprey
exavid
petrolderek
bandito2
WingMan02
DickO
NWSSC
Sknrdtec
tinman
lalee
Cosmic_Jumper
AncientBriton
Mike from NS
billc.
cotetoi
Colin B
Atrick
ScottO
Bluemoon
scooterboyz
Meldrew
Waspie
almagor
jobo2mi
mrcaveman
DarthJ
The Scootist
Old Limey
GHM-PM
surlybiker58
MikeO
Dimond
Ishkatan
"Hi Yo"
model28a
cjuzda
dspevack
mike_reffner
mjm1942
51 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
mjm1942
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mjm1942

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2012-03-27

centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? Empty
PostSubject: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 5:48 pm

Hi All,
Looking for helpful tips to get the bike on its centre stand. This is something I have been "struggling" with since I got my bike a few weeks ago. I'm not a big guy but not that little either. At 5'7" and 160 lbs I should be able to do it but it is a real struggle and I have even (embarassingly) had to ask my wife to help. Even then it's tough. Is there a secret??
Thanks for the help
Back to top Go down
mike_reffner
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 6:26 pm

I'm 63 and also have trouble getting it onto the center stand. First I only use it if the surface is close to being level. I always put the sidestand down first, so the bike is more steady to start with. I grip the left grip with my left hand the passenger grab bar with my right. Push down the center standwith my right food and step down hard and left with the right hand. Hope this helps. Oh, and getting it off the stand can also be a challenget.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 7:14 pm

Another "secret" is to have a welding shop "Shorten" your center stand.

While having the full height of a center stand is great for changing a tire or doing maintenance or testing the bike in place, there is no reason it has to be THAT high, and for the normal use as opposed to maintenance, there is no reason that your bike can't have 4 points of contact (front and rear tire and two points of center stand). Taking an inch off will make it much easier. How much you take off is up to you.

I also ADDED a half inch to the thickness of the foot of my side stand so the bike would sit up straighter and be less likely to fall over if the ground isn't perfectly level. The welding shop can do that too.

Lastly some people carry the equivalent of a lid to a tuna can with them. (Something that size) Its easy to store, and can be used under the side stand to spread out the weight on an uneven or even soft surface.

Dan
Back to top Go down
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 7:59 pm

The absolute key is to use the following procedure:

First, keep the sidestand down.
Second, stand facing straight forward, not turned toward the bike.
Third, Left hand on left grip, right hand on left rear rail (pilion hand hold)
Fourth, step down with right foot on centre stand in the appropriate spot UNTIL the left foot of the centre stand touches the pavement
Fifth and critical, gradually let the bike lean away from you until the right foot of the centre stand contacts the ground (you will feel this, not be able to see it), obviously. When it contacts the ground, the bike will stop feeling like it's falling away from you.
Finally once the right foot of the centre stand contacts the ground, simply push down HARD with your right foot while leaning back and pulling back and up with your right hand (more back than up - you're not "lifting" the bike, the stand is doing that for you) . Makes sure you are facing straight forward.

The key is to be facing forward and to make sure that the right foot of the centre stand is also in contact with the ground. That way by pulling up and leaning straight back, you are using your body weight instead of just trying to muscle it. You need to push down hard and firmly with your right foot at the same time as you are pulling up and back. I guarantee this will work.

also a no brainer but make sure the front wheel is straight, not turned slightly to the side

Chris

Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 8:07 pm

You can also try puting a piece of wood under the back tire.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 9:44 pm

Chris, Your instructions are spot on. The best thing is to find a good level surface and practice getting both sides of the stand down. With a little practice, it should be easy. It's leverage, not strength, that makes the difference.
Back to top Go down
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 10:09 pm

I've really struggled with my center stand despite following all the great advice above. Then I discovered ..... it really helps if you let go of the brake when you push down on the center stand.... the bike has to roll a little to get the rear wheel off the ground.

So... push down with your foot, pull up/back on the passenger seat handle, and release the brake lever.
Back to top Go down
http://www.parklawnsailingassociation.org
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 3:26 am

All of the tips noted above are useful. I especially like to keep a 4x4x1 (actually about 3/4 inch thick) piece of redwood in the garage that I roll onto (by placing the wood behind the rear tire and backing up) which makes getting it up a breeze. I also carry a 1" wide x 6" x 1" (actually about 3/4") piece of redwood that I place behind my rear tire and roll back onto. For the most part I avoid even putting it up on the center stand unless I really need to. Getting it down I hold the brakes - lean back in my seat - then quickly throw myself forward into the handle bars - my momentum does the rest.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 4:37 am

I agree with Chris in particular.
One must co-ordinate arms and foot - it's no use trying to do it bit by bit.The action must flow!

I describe the start of the action after making sure both stand-feet are touching the ground as 'Surprising it' - it's no good starting gently and building up the effort.
Don't jerk but be positive and determined, with arms bent, not stretched.
As has been said, there is a knack. I repeat, I 'surprise' my Silverwing!
Back to top Go down
surlybiker58
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
surlybiker58

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 7:28 am

When I step on the stand, I put my full weight on it and the bike goes on the stand easily.
Middle age with it's extra fifty pounds does have some slight advantages
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 7:35 am

surlybiker58 wrote:
When I step on the stand, I put my full weight on it and the bike goes on the stand easily.
Middle age with it's extra fifty pounds does have some slight advantages

Basically yes this is what I do with no problems. A matter of leverage, ensure both center stand legs contact the ground, pull back on handlebar with left hand step on center stand foot and throw weight into it and it slides up with no problems.
Of course as Surly says a few (ahem) extra pounds of ballast does not hurt either... pirat

I love having both stands! My wife's Metropolitan does not have a side stand nor did my KLR have a center stand, so I am in heaven with both again!
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 2:11 pm

I always liken putting it on centre stand to a Judo throw, as everyone else has said a nice swift flowing movement. We in England might say"Now brace yourself Rodney"(Only Fools and Horses) catching the chandalier. Laughing
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 10:52 am

Chris did a great job of explaining the mechanics of lifting the bike onto the center stand. As explained it is about leverage. The only thing I would add/emphasize is that the more you pull up on the pillion grip rail while you step down on the center stand the more you increase the downward force on the centerstand step because the weight of the bike that you lift is transferred through you to the step. So even if you are slight in stature this will give you more leverage/mass.
Back to top Go down
DarthJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2011-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 12:10 pm

The convenience makes me wish Shadows had center stands. Maintenance is so much easier with one.
[i]
Back to top Go down
mrcaveman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 5:31 pm

Don't have on soft soe shoes. A good boot makes it easyer.
Back to top Go down
jobo2mi
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
jobo2mi

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2011-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 6:15 pm

mrcaveman wrote:
Don't have on soft soe shoes. A good boot makes it easyer.

An ABSOLUTE must!!! Soft shoes will kill you!!! But it took me a few tries to get it right ... leverage, leverage, leverage!! Why, I even lifted Big Red up from the ground when he fell over on the lawn (long story, dummy me!! Shocked ) . Didn't think I'd be able to lift 500 lbs, but I did it like I was told here, and he came right up, all by myself! cheers I used the center stand whenever I parked him for any length of time. Making sure both sides of the center stand are touching the ground BEFORE you try to leverage/lift is important.
Back to top Go down
http://www.josbooks4kids.com
almagor
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 6:16 am

Raising the bike on its center stand was never a problem before, till I got my Honda Silverwing... My solution: with the help of a local welder we took a steel rod 16 mm in diameter and bent it into an 90 degree elbow, with one side about 7cm long and the other 10 cm. This rod was welded to the tip of the center stand, and now the bike is as easy to lift on the stand as a 125 cc machine. I am having a problem attaching a photo, but if you send me an email (almagor@aol.com) I will be happy to share a photo of the modification.

Last edited by almagor on Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 6:47 am

How about that, a new member who posts an ANSWER without introducing themselves. How refreshing. Thanks Almagor. I would suggest that you go to the introduction section and introduce yourself, so we can properly welcome you. You sound like the type of member we need.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 7:06 am

"Hi Yo" wrote:
How about that, a new member who posts an ANSWER without introducing themselves. How refreshing. Thanks Almagor. I would suggest that you go to the introduction section and introduce yourself, so we can properly welcome you. You sound like the type of member we need.

+1 :not worthy:
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 7:23 am

Almagor might also be interested to know that there's 3 other forum members in Israel, sbavli, avir, and shlomy2000. Smile
Back to top Go down
almagor
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 7:27 am

Thanks for the info
Back to top Go down
scooterboyz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2012-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2012 1:33 pm

I'm 6' at 155 lbs. Its all about LEVERAGE. I queeze rear brake while holding rear left side of passenger "handrail". While continuing to do so, I place my foot on center stand until it hits the ground. Maintaining that, I lean the bike slowly away from me until I've felt that both center "feet" are on the ground. AT THIS POINT, AND ALL SIMULTANEOUSLY, I PULL REARWARD ON THE HANDLE BAR ( RELEASING THE REAR BRAKE! ) AND STEP DOWNWARD ON CENTERSTAND WITH MY ENTIRE BODYWEIGHT (ONE FOOT ON PEG AND THE OTHER FOOT OFF THE GROUND. ) I FOUND USING THIS TECHNIQUE, THAT THE BIKE WOULD "POP-UP" VERY EASILY. I EASILY GET MY BIKE "AIRBOURNE" FACING DOWNHILL STREETS. Most importantly practice! Jack it up 10 times consecutively and I guarantee you by #6 you have it down .
Back to top Go down
Bluemoon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2012 9:05 pm

Most of the tips were spot on. Even for a new SWing owner. I been riding Gold Wings since they came with a kick starter for emerg use. So using the center stand on the SWing was a piece of cake. I have been taking advantage of you guys expertise and reading all about the maintenance on this fun machine. I'm keeping the GoldWing around for long distance riding but the SWing should be great for the local (200 mile) rides to try out new eating places.
Back to top Go down
ScottO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ScottO

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2013-10-19

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2013 7:52 pm

Chris, you just saved me. Time to do my first oil change and just about killed me trying to get it on the stand. Read your instructions  and worked! My biggest problem is I just moved up from a 150. I've got to lean the SWing a lot further than the 150. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
Atrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Atrick

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2012-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 11:59 am

I've never had a problem putting my Swing on the centre stand until today. Rolling the bike off the centre stand I discovered my rear tyre had a big nail in it and was completely flat. This meant the bike was now lower than normal and totally impossible to heave back onto the centre stand - and I couldn't move the bike either! However, I must say a big thank you to Mr Honda for putting the 12v connector in the LH glove box as this enabled me to blow the tyre back up so hopefully I'll be able ride the 5 miles to the dealer tomorrow and get the puncture fixed!
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 12:30 pm

Glad you managed to get a satisfactory albeit temporary result.

Lots of threads on the forum about stuff to put in tyres to seal holes but in the UK I recommend PunctureSafe. It really does work.

I suggest if discussion ensues about this sort of stuff we do it in an appropriate thread, even a new one.
Back to top Go down
Atrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Atrick

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 05, 2013 1:15 am

Yes, I bought some a couple of years ago but so far haven't got round to putting it in.. ho humm... Embarassed 
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 05, 2013 3:47 am

LOL!

I know the feeling. :-)
Back to top Go down
Atrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Atrick

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 05, 2013 7:02 am

Not having a good day (again) -  Naturally, the nail is in the WRONG place so the tyre can't be repaired and I've got to have a new one at around £70 inc. fitting which I guess ain't too bad but (of course) Honda have fitted an obscure branded size (IRC SS-530) that no-one seems to stock... Mad
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 05, 2013 7:03 am

Atrick wrote:
Yes, I bought some [tyre sealant] a couple of years ago but so far haven't got round to putting it in.. ho humm... Embarassed 
When you do, take it slowly, squeeze gently and have LOTS of paper towel on hand!!!

Laughing  Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
Atrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Atrick

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 05, 2013 7:45 am

Ha ha - these days I'm not sure I can... No 
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 05, 2013 8:46 am

On the subject of centrestands: I got a welder to attach a slightly larger piece of steel on the footpeg that you step on. That gave a lot more area to push down on, you feel more secure. Practice, practice, practice, no substitutes or shortcuts.
Back to top Go down
billc.
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
billc.

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 05, 2013 9:19 am

Regarding centerstands, how do you get the bike OFF the centerstand. I usually SIT on the Bike and gently ROCK the bike forward and off it comes. I am then balanced on the bike and can either put the sidestand down, or crank the bike and drive away. I rarely take the bike off centerstand by standing next to it...billc.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 05, 2013 10:47 am

Same here.
If I'm feeling fragile I leave the side stand down until I'm steady but not always.

In fact - I've just thought: when I come to a halt prior to getting off and putting the bike on the centre stand I put down the side stand, lean the bike on to it, dismount, deploy the centre stand and heave the bike up then (usually) flip up the side stand to finish off with.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 05, 2013 4:04 pm

Colin B wrote:
Atrick wrote:
Yes, I bought some [tyre sealant] a couple of years ago but so far haven't got round to putting it in.. ho humm... Embarassed 
When you do, take it slowly, squeeze gently and have LOTS of paper towel on hand!!!

Laughing    Rolling Eyes 
Or do it my way, buy a cheapo Clarke 500cc oil suction gun from Machine Mart ( I already had one ), fill it with the required dose plus a bit more, connect the plastic hose to the valve stem and use the gun like a giant syringe to squirt it into the tyre. It takes a couple of minutes and you don't waste any apart from a bit adhering to the pump diaphragm. Wink 
Back to top Go down
Atrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Atrick

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2013 9:42 am

Thanks Meldrew, I'll get one & have a go when I get the bike back with the new tyre on (hopefully later today) - better late than never!  My apology for hijacking the thread somewhat... Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2013 8:01 am

Cotetoi,

As you say ... practice, practice, practice. I'v see a very capable Gold Wing rider have difficulty in getting a S'Wing on the center stand.  I maintain it is all in technique (and in being certain the parking brake isn't set Rolling Eyes ).  Lift straight up with the right hand on the rear passenger grip handle as you stand straight up on that little "peg" of the center stand.  I've managed to do this while even wearing worn out rubber sandals. Yeah .. a little bit of foot pain followed. :lol!:  Glad that the welding effort helped.
Mike
Back to top Go down
AncientBriton
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
AncientBriton

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2014-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 3:43 pm

The easiest fix is to buy an 8 Inch long 1-1/4 inch pipe nipple, slip it over the foot plate of the stand and use the stand as normal.  You don't even need to lift, even a kid can do it.  The pipe nipple gives enough extension to the lever arm to halve the effort needed.  Keep it in the trunk.

Paul
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 5:34 pm

MikeO wrote:
>>I put down the side stand, lean the bike on to it, dismount, deploy the centre stand and heave the bike up then flip up the side stand to finish off with.

I cant imagine how you could possibly put the scoot up on the center stand without first having it resting on the side stand as you dismount.

But perhaps there is some Cirque du Soleil approved method for contorting your body so that you could raise the center stand as you dismount --all in one swashbuckling flourish.

Tim
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2014 2:33 am

Of course one can dismount without deploying either stand but I find my method works for me. :-)
Back to top Go down
lalee
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2013-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2014 3:00 am

MikeO wrote:
Same here.
If I'm feeling fragile I leave the side stand down until I'm steady but not always.

In fact - I've just thought: when I come to a halt prior to getting off and putting the bike on the centre stand I put down the side stand, lean the bike on to it, dismount, deploy the centre stand and heave the bike up then (usually) flip up the side stand to finish off with.

Exactly how I stand the bike, only thing is, I use the side stand switch to kill the motor, after I dismount, I decide if I need the bike on the center stand. Most of the time it is safe on the side stand.

Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2014 8:08 am

When Im out and about I would use the side stand.When park in the garage I would use the side stand to dismount, then use the centre stand leaving the side stand down to rock my swing of centre stand before mounting.( short in seam ). I had to remove the centre stand ,and the skid plate under the motor to installed my Trigg trike kit,the belly plate is mounted to the motor and the centre stand hang's on the wall.The side stand is tucked in and cannot swing down. I use the emergency brake when my swing is not in use.I use 2 ratchet straps to lift the back side to do my maintenance work. Smile
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2014 8:34 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
MikeO wrote:
>>I put down the side stand, lean the bike on to it, dismount, deploy the centre stand and heave the bike up then flip up the side stand to finish off with.

I find on the Silver Wing it is no problem to hop off on level ground then put it in the center stand. Mainly because of the step-thru frame. Now my Gold Wing is another case. I find it necessary to put sidestand down, dismount, then put the behemoth on the center stand. Even tho the GW is fairly low the raised seat back is difficult to lift my leg over especially while balancing almost 900 pounds.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2014 11:31 am

GHM-PM wrote:
I find on the Silver  Wing it is no problem to hop off on level ground then put it in the center stand.  Mainly because of the step-thru frame.  Now my Gold Wing is another case.  I find it necessary to put sidestand down, dismount, then put the behemoth on the center stand.  Even tho the GW is fairly low the raised seat back is difficult to lift my leg over especially while balancing almost 900 pounds.

Re Glen's post, above: I had lost sight of the step thru frame on the S/W and the ease in dismounting it affords. i've had a Tunnel Bag occupying that space since I got my S/W in 2003. Being "inseam challenged" I have to set the side stand down first then swing my leg over the saddle while doing a one-leg hop in order to dismount.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Sknrdtec
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Sknrdtec

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2012-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2014 3:00 pm

Use the side stand for dismount as most do ,  but leaving it down while going to the center stand could possibly get you into trouble . Example , as the bike comes back down (if you don't get it to the center stand the first try )  it can come back down and jam on that side stand and send the bike off to the opposite side  ( don't ask me how I know this ) or you might get lucky and it work to your advantage and land safely to the side stand .  Had this happen to me with my 82 Goldwing  which has been a extremely reliable , smooth running machine , but very bulky , heavy and cumbersome to move around and especially hard to get to the center stand .  The SW is a breeze to get to the center stand in comparison . I'm going to the garage now to find some pipe nipple as AncientBriton suggested , to see how that works . Good luck and be safe .
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2014 5:47 pm

I have a little different approach on the center stand. First you load the under seat with about 25lbs of gear and then you fill your large Givi box with another 35lbs fill the tank bag with 10lbs of stuff ride around Colorado for two wks including Pikes Peak, ride a total of 4,700 miles and return to Illinois. Unload the scooter,rest for 1/2 day (I will be 77) and when you put the scooter on the center stand it will seem light as a feather. Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2014 11:06 pm

Completely off subject... I just showed my wife the avatar that "Sknrdtec" uses with the turtle and snail. Must say, as far as avatars go... that's about the "cutest" one I've ever seen.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 3:08 am

Conversely if I don't deploy the side-stand before dismounting I might easily drop the Silverwing on my foot. :-)

Edited for spelling

Last edited by MikeO on Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 5:26 pm

While on the subject of the Centre Stand, I have a question for all:
If you had no choice but to park on soft ground, would you use your centre stand or your side stand?
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 5:42 pm

I can and do use the side stand with the plastic side stand puck I carry on the scooter under the foot of the extended side stand. I also have a 5" square of scrap alloy checker plate I've had for donkey's years and use for the same job.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???   centre stand - Helpful Tips for Centre Stand??? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next