Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, Welcome to the Silverwing 600 Forum. We ask that you be polite and also introduce yourself on your 1st post. The members are friendly and helpful so just have fun. There is www.maxi-scoots.com site that is geared for all scooters and motorcycles.

HomeGallerySearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» What about SYM ?
Repairing fairing I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Today at 5:30 pm

Repairing fairing I_icon_minitimeby exavid Today at 5:23 pm

» My 2003 Silver Wing's first ride in 8 years.
Repairing fairing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 5:13 pm

» Stator grommet replacement
Repairing fairing I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Today at 4:52 pm

» oxygen sensor removal
Repairing fairing I_icon_minitimeby Adrian999 Today at 3:24 pm

» Dirt road with the SW.
Repairing fairing I_icon_minitimeby Michel Vachon Today at 3:12 pm

» Howling front tire
Repairing fairing I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 12:49 pm

» Why men need toolboxes
Repairing fairing I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 11:36 pm

» Three brothers seat back
Repairing fairing I_icon_minitimeby Zummy Yesterday at 10:33 pm

» Need some information on issues with vacuum
Repairing fairing I_icon_minitimeby terrificobjects Yesterday at 11:15 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Repairing fairing

Go down 
AuthorMessage
drstoney
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2012-06-03

Repairing fairing Empty
PostSubject: Repairing fairing   Repairing fairing I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 9:49 pm

JUST TWO DAYS AGO PURCHASE MY 2002 SWING; I AM EXCITIED BUT HAVE A 5-6 INCH SPLIT IN FAIRING; ANY SUGGSTIONS WOULD BE HELPFUL;  THANKS.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 3408
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Repairing fairing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Repairing fairing   Repairing fairing I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 10:59 pm

Hi

How about turning OFF your caps lock so you're not SHOUTING at us. Please and Thank You.

Now regarding your cracked fairing: About the best thing we've found to use is ABS Plumbing Cement. It's used for black ABS plumbing pipe. Don't make the mistake of using PVC Cement or Universal ABS/PVC Cement because it won't work. You may find this stuff at Home Depot or Lowe's, a hardware store or at an RV supply store.

The brand name for the stuff is Oatey's and it comes in about a 6 oz can.

You'll have to do the work from the inside of the body work. So that may mean that you'll have to remove the fairing.

Anyway, reposition the cracked pieces together and secure them somehow. Next sand or wire brush off the paint from the area surrounding the crack -on the inside of the body panel. Liberally smear the area with the gooey black cement and then imbed some net/mesh-type Fiberglass Drywall Tape. Allow that to set up for about 10 minutes, then repeat the process with the ABS Cement & pieces of the drywall mesh tape. Do a couple of layers of cement & mesh tape.

It will set up in an hour or two, and be fully cured in a day.

Just be sure to clean the area of paint, etc until the white ABS plastic shows. The ABS Plumbing Cement will bond with the ABS body work.

Once again, don't use PVC cement or "universal" ABS/PVC cement.

The ABS Cement is Acetone based, so you might be able to use a tiny bit of nail polish remover (again on the inside of the body panel) to secure the crack. But be very careful because the acetone will wick into the crack, melt the ABS body work and quite possibly show up on the paint surface as a white crack line. Or even worse, end up destroying the paint finish.

Actually it's not a difficult fix. Good luck.

Tim
Back to top Go down
drstoney
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2012-06-03

Repairing fairing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Repairing fairing   Repairing fairing I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 7:38 pm

thank you so much ! i very much appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 366
Registration date : 2010-09-15

Repairing fairing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Repairing fairing   Repairing fairing I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 2:26 pm

The ABS cement with fibreglass mesh (drywall or autorepair mesh) works well. That's because the tupperware is made of ABS.

In the right situation (i.e. reattaching or reinforcing tabs, repairing small cracks etc.) you can also use a soldering iron on low heat and use/melt a plastic cable tie like a welding rod to fill the crack etc. From the inside of the panel of course.

If repairing a crack, regardless of size/length, don't forget to drill a small hole at the end where the crack terminates. This helps to prevent the crack from spreading any further.

Good Luck! ~ bugjr ~
Back to top Go down
Daboo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Daboo

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2009-12-08

Repairing fairing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Repairing fairing   Repairing fairing I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 4:01 pm

Another repair method is "plastic welding". Here's a YouTube video explaining how it is done. Several BUSA members have tried it and now swear by it.

Plastic welding.

Chris
Back to top Go down
Granny Rides
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Granny Rides

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2014-02-21

Repairing fairing Empty
PostSubject: "That's because the tupperware is made of ABS."   Repairing fairing I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 21, 2014 9:18 am

Hey all.......I will be the proud owner of a 2009 Swing FSC600D that have scratches on it (went down on the right side), and am looking for the best way to minimize or remove them. What are the fairings made off?  ABS plastic?
Back to top Go down
ScooterBJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2013-11-14

Repairing fairing Empty
PostSubject: Plastex kit, article & repair pics   Repairing fairing I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 21, 2014 12:44 pm

I have been using a Plastex kit for years and it does a great job. It is chemical welding (solvent, similar to the ABS plumbers cement) and has the solvent liquid and powered ABS to make the welds, fill areas and strengthen. It is pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it, but make sure you have good ventilation.

There is an article I did in Scooter Rider Magazine, which is available on the BigAss Scooter website. Posted articles are free to download for personal use. Go to http://www.bigassscooter.com, click on Articles in the menu and then on the Scooter Rider Magazine Articles link. It is listed there and the articles are in PDF format.

I have been using this stuff a lot recently as my '04 is stripped of it's body panels for doing upgrades, fixes, etc. It had been in a fall over accident and the left side panels were damaged. Many of the prior repairs were done with a JB weld type epoxy, which does not stick to ABS well. Since Plastex is a welding method (not gluing) I have used it to make/replace and reattach fixing points, fill holes, weld cracks, and strengthen weak points. I use pieces of old electronics cases when I need to make a part or make a strengthening point. In the past I have also repaired a laptop case, cellphone housing, etc.

Here are some before - during - after pics of remaking an alignment tab on the left rear side panel. For this I used the clear powder, hence the plastic weld is see-through. It is important to get to the actual ABS (as stated prior) and not try to weld through the paint. The cleaned/beveled edges of the old tab mouting point, and the new tab, can be seen through the weld. The masking tape provides a way to hold the part together and a 'dam' to hold in the powder/solvent mix while it dries. After 24 hours I remove the tape and do the same to the back of the tab. The tab is now stronger then stock. Hope this helps.

Repairing fairing SDC10047
Repairing fairing SDC10050
Repairing fairing SDC10052
Repairing fairing SDC10057

Last edited by ScooterBJ on Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additions)
Back to top Go down
Granny Rides
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Granny Rides

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2014-02-21

Repairing fairing Empty
PostSubject: Scooter BJ   Repairing fairing I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 21, 2014 2:17 pm

Awesome....Thanks so much! I'm pretty handy and I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the direction. Saw something similar on "You Tube" where they used a heat gun to melt the top layer of fine lines, then another using "wet" sand papering method. When I learn how to upload here I'll send before and after pics.
Back to top Go down
lalee
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2013-11-09

Repairing fairing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Repairing fairing   Repairing fairing I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 22, 2014 5:16 pm

Good information here. Thanks to all who posted. I need to fix a small crack on my bike and now I can see how to do it.
Back to top Go down
ScooterBJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Repairing fairing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Repairing fairing   Repairing fairing I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2014 11:37 am

lalee wrote:
Good information here.  Thanks to all who posted.  I need to fix a small crack on my bike and now I can see how to do it.  

Glad you found it helpful. For small cracks I handle the repair a bit differently so I don not have to refinish the paint.
1) Clean the inside of the crack with an old toothbrush and alcohol. Allow to dry fully.
2) Rejoin the crack with a small amount of super glue (toothpick works well for applying). Be sure to wipe any excess off the paint surface before it sets up. Use pressure to force the crack together. Sometimes I use bungees or duct tape. Allow the glue to fully dry.
3) On the backside, grind a V shape into the crack about 2/3 way through. Clean it up.
4) Use the Plastex kit to fill and weld the crack back into one piece. If there is room, build up the weld a bit to strengthen the crack area.
If all goes well the crack will be almost invisible, sealed shut and strong. cheers

Last edited by ScooterBJ on Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:01 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
ScooterBJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Repairing fairing Empty
PostSubject: Avoid panel cracking and broken tabs   Repairing fairing I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2014 11:57 am

Oops, I forgot to add a tip to avoid cracks, breaking tabs, etc., when removing panels.

The tabs, catches, and panel retainer pins (pops into a rubber grommet) are pretty east to break. Especially as the Silver Wing gets older and the areas get dirty. Once panels are off, clean up the area and use a 'Door Ease' stick liberally over the tabs, pins, grommets, etc.

Door Ease is a wax/grease stick meant to use for sticking door edges or drawers that do not slide well. Works the same on plastic panels as it stays on the area, provides lubrication and makes the parts easier to pull apart next time. Sometimes it can also lessen, or stop, panel squeaking due to vibration. I've been using this method for years on everything from dual-sports to scooters with good results.

The stick I have has been in use for 5 years or more -- it lasts a long time. Most hardware or home stores carry Door Ease (or similar) for about $4US. Here is an example. DOOR EASE LINK

The Delboy Garage (above) heat welding procedure video works well for the soft plastic panels like the hump plastic over the fuel tank. The Plastex kit (I have) does not work on this type of plastic, only hard plastics like ABS (and even cracked windscreens). Plastex does offer a kit for soft plastics, which they claim even works on fuel tanks, but I have not used it. I have used a solder gun to hot weld soft plastic though.
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 446
Registration date : 2010-02-01

Repairing fairing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Repairing fairing   Repairing fairing I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2019 5:47 pm

I was about to buy the Plastex, when I noticed there are two kinds. One is $50.00 and the other $ 30.00. plus shipping.
Which is the one we need to use Please
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Repairing fairing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Repairing fairing   Repairing fairing I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2019 7:50 pm

Not sure about the two different versions of Plastex but the best product I've found for repairing cracked & broken tabs and body panels is Plast-aid. No doubt the same mix of ABS powder &  bonding agent as whichever Plastex is the right one for our panels. But this 1.5 oz kit is less expensive that what you mention and free shipping too.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Plast-Aid-Acrylic-and-PVC-Repair-Kit-for-Hot-Tub-Cracks-Leaks-1-5-1-Pack/173817451076?epid=1307490333&hash=item287853d244:g:AUwAAOSwRPBdQbqj

Repairing fairing Image34
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2016-01-02

Repairing fairing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Repairing fairing   Repairing fairing I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2019 8:00 pm

Good stuff works very well on SW plastic body parts. Very strong smell use it in garage or outdoors.
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Repairing fairing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Repairing fairing   Repairing fairing I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2019 1:28 pm

Thank you so much. It is way less expensive. I am on it.
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Repairing fairing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Repairing fairing   Repairing fairing I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 21, 2019 11:22 am

Thanks again for the Plastix advice.
I found a large separation in my right front turn signal along with some other broken tabs. It was amazing stuff, and easier to use than any of the other options used in the past.
Now with my new rear tire and no noises, I am a very happy camper again.
Back to top Go down
DLK
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DLK

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2019-04-01

Repairing fairing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Repairing fairing   Repairing fairing I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 21, 2019 8:54 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:

ABS Plumbing Cement. It's used for black ABS plumbing pipe.

The brand name for the stuff is Oatey's and it comes in about a 6 oz can.

Tim

Just in time for my one of my winter project’s of fixing a crack in the belly pan my brother put there with a big curb….  
Tim I see 3 black Oatey abs cements,

#1, United Elchem 4400 Series ABS Medium Black Cement is a formulated for non-pressure applications on all schedules and classes of ABS pipe and fittings up to 6" diameter with interference fit or

#2 Oatey® Extra Special Medium Black ABS Cement is specially formulated for use in the hot and arid climates in the western United States on ABS pipe and fittings up to 6" diameter with interference fit. Or last

#3 Hercules® ABS Black Medium-Bodied Fast Set PVC Cement is a fast-set black cement for use on all schedules and classes of ABS pipe and fittings up to 8" diameter with interference fit.

By my blind guess I’m thinking the Hercules, but I don’t know….. Which one do you recommend ????

Thank you
Dan
Back to top Go down
DLK
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DLK

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2019-04-01

Repairing fairing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Repairing fairing   Repairing fairing I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 21, 2019 9:01 pm

also there is a 6 oz kit of Plast-aid for just $34.99 if you have more than a few tabs broken, and they claim a 5 year shelf life even after opened....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Plast-aid-6oz-Plastic-Pool-Part-Repair-Kit-80400/264318083075?epid=1831664033&hash=item3d8a95e003:g:a2oAAOSwgkVc1lSB
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Repairing fairing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Repairing fairing   Repairing fairing I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 21, 2019 11:06 pm

Just to confuse matters here is YouTube link sent by Sonofabug. Windy Urtnowski has a good reputation repairing & painting fairings on race bikes. He favors using cyanoacrylic glue & fiberglass:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWvpZaKBBfI

My go-to for tupperware repair is still PlastAid.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Hiyo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Hiyo

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2019-10-22

Repairing fairing Empty
PostSubject: Fairing repair   Repairing fairing I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2019 10:02 pm

I cut the windshield (GIVI) and had a bit of plastic leftovers. Some tabs on the front panel were broken ☹. I made new ones out of the leftover bits and used JB Weld plastic bonder epoxy. So far so good.
Back to top Go down
Hiyo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Hiyo

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2019-10-22

Repairing fairing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Repairing fairing   Repairing fairing I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2019 10:17 pm

Permatex makes a plastic bonder with an activator. I think it is cyanoacrylate based. I used it on a cage front air dam. Pretty sure those are ABS. It never did let go.
Back to top Go down

Repairing fairing
Page 1 of 1