Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Noise at low throttle I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Noise at low throttle I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Noise at low throttle I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Noise at low throttle I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Noise at low throttle I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Noise at low throttle I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Noise at low throttle I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Noise at low throttle I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Noise at low throttle I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Noise at low throttle I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Noise at low throttle

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Chilliwing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Chilliwing

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2011-09-03

Noise at low throttle Empty
PostSubject: Noise at low throttle   Noise at low throttle I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 10:09 pm

I ride a 2009Swing with approx 4500km on the clock. I have noticed a "put, put, put" noise coming from the rear (not exhaust) when pulling away from a stop using minimal throttle. No such noise when using a firm throttle start or whilst riding in general. It might be my imagination but seems worse when Swing has warmed up. Could this be that something needs adjusting? Any suggestions would be welcome.

swing
Back to top Go down
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Noise at low throttle   Noise at low throttle I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 2:11 pm

If this is what I think it is, it is pretty common. Some have described it as a "knocK" or even sounding a bit like a turkey gobble. Consensus was it was a bit of belt slap on the housing and is basically harmless. Same with me, only at take off and after bike had warmed up a bit. Mine went away when I installed Dr. Pulley sliders.
Back to top Go down
Chilliwing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Chilliwing

PostSubject: Noise at Low Throttle   Noise at low throttle I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 2:41 pm

cjuzda,

thanks for the the "turkey gobble" analogy (perfect). Sounds like we have experienced the same noise. Please excuse my ignorance with the drive system of the Swing (after 30 plus years of riding motorcycles) but what makes changing the 'sliders' cure the belt slap? Will continued belt slap cause premature wear/failure of the belt? Is it contacting something it should'nt? I am contemplating a trip to California this summer and should I be concerned about this and make some repairs/modifications before I go?

swing
Back to top Go down
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Noise at low throttle   Noise at low throttle I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 3:38 pm

Chilliwing wrote:
cjuzda,

thanks for the the "turkey gobble" analogy (perfect). Sounds like we have experienced the same noise. Please excuse my ignorance with the drive system of the Swing (after 30 plus years of riding motorcycles) but what makes changing the 'sliders' cure the belt slap? Will continued belt slap cause premature wear/failure of the belt? Is it contacting something it should'nt? I am contemplating a trip to California this summer and should I be concerned about this and make some repairs/modifications before I go?

swing

Sorry I'm no expert. Others may be able to help re the sliders. In the process of changing the stock rollers for the sliders I removed and re mounted the existing belt cleaned the housing etc. I'm confident that this noise is not serious and you should not be concerned. Lots of reading on this forum convinced me that this not a problem in terms of reliability
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Noise at low throttle   Noise at low throttle I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 5:47 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Chilliwing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Chilliwing

PostSubject: Noise at low throttle   Noise at low throttle I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 6:19 pm

cjuzda and bigbird,

Thank you both for taking the time to reply, and bigbird for your concise explanation and recommendations. You have put my mind at ease. I will do the upgrade at the next service interval.

swing
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Noise at low throttle   Noise at low throttle I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 6:25 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
old fart
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
old fart

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-02-02

PostSubject: California   Noise at low throttle I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 6:58 pm

I did a trip to California last summer on my Swing. (from Edmonton)
The biggest problem was crossing the border. The US border guard didn't believe that the scoot could maintain freeway speed in Cali. I had to show my owner's manual and convince him that it could achieve a consistent 80 mph. When he saw a max. speed of 105 mph there was no further discussion.
As far as your trip is concerned. Change the oil, fill the gas tank check the air pressure and tire wear put a smile on your face and go Smile I'm planning a trip to Anchorage this summer. Same deal for me. Change the oil, fill the gas tank, tires, smile and go. These machines are fantastic.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Noise at low throttle   Noise at low throttle I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 7:34 am

A quickie:
Do sliders last as long as rollers?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Noise at low throttle   Noise at low throttle I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Noise at low throttle
Page 1 of 1