Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
idle - Idle Speed Adjustment I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
idle - Idle Speed Adjustment I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
idle - Idle Speed Adjustment I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
idle - Idle Speed Adjustment I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
idle - Idle Speed Adjustment I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
idle - Idle Speed Adjustment I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
idle - Idle Speed Adjustment I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
idle - Idle Speed Adjustment I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
idle - Idle Speed Adjustment I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
idle - Idle Speed Adjustment I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Idle Speed Adjustment

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
BlackFly
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
BlackFly

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2010-11-20

idle - Idle Speed Adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Idle Speed Adjustment   idle - Idle Speed Adjustment I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 5:58 pm

Another small Pictorial from me

Pictorial - Idle Speed Adjustment.

[ADMIN EDIT: Somehow this pictorial file is no longer available]
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Idle Speed Adjustment   idle - Idle Speed Adjustment I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 10:14 pm

Do you have to remove rubber piece to adjust?
Back to top Go down
BlackFly
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
BlackFly

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2010-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Idle Speed Adjustment   idle - Idle Speed Adjustment I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 10:54 pm

No, you don't have to remove anything
Back to top Go down
rjdoles
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
rjdoles

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Homemade manometer   idle - Idle Speed Adjustment I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 11:44 am

If you don't want to spend a lot of money on a vacuum gauge, you can construct this manometer for about $10.

The 1" x 2" lumber and the clear 1/8" or 3/16" tubing from a home improvement store. I got the 3/16" vacuum restrictors from Advance Auto Parts. I used 3 wire ties to hold the tubing to the lumber.

Any oil will work for the fluid. I used red automatic transmission fluid. You want to add just enough to get the fluid to fill the tubing up to the center wire tie.

You follow the procedure that Blackfly has detailed to connect this manometer. The fluid will be pulled higher on the side with the higher vacuum. Adjust the two air screws until the level is the same on both sides of the manometer. The restrictors slow the movement of the oil.

idle - Idle Speed Adjustment Manometer_zps302a4106
Back to top Go down
rollsroyce250
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2012-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Idle Speed Adjustment   idle - Idle Speed Adjustment I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 11:52 am

I might add that you always adjust the higher cylinder vacuum reading down to the lower vacuum reading. Don't try to bring the lower reading up to the higher. The reason is that the idle speed will drop if you adjust to a higher vacuum and your readings aren't as accurate if the idle is below spec. The more the throttle is closed, the lower the idle, and the higher the vacuum.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Idle Speed Adjustment   idle - Idle Speed Adjustment I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 6:17 pm

Thank you for the DIY manometer pictorial Mr Doles.

I didn't see any manometer info on Blackfly's link, only info regarding the idle adjustment screw. But maybe I missed something somewhere.

Is it that the two vacuum lines are directly connected to the Throttle Body vacuum ports? And if so, do you then plug up the disconnected vacuum lines?

How would you adjust the two Air Screws if you only have access to one vacuum gauge?

Tim
Back to top Go down
rjdoles
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
rjdoles

PostSubject: Connecting the manometer   idle - Idle Speed Adjustment I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 8:00 pm

The vacuum line from each cylinder is connected to a tee fitting. The third hose connected to the tee is from the fuel injection manifold pressure sensor. Blackfly disconnected a vacuum line from one of the cylinders instead of using the vacuum ports. It doesn't matter which vacuum line you disconnect. He cautioned that you must leave the vacuum line to the fuel injection connected. You would connect the two ends of this manometer in series with whichever vacuum line that you disconnected.

In other words, when you pull one of the cylinder vacuum lines off, push one end of the manometer tubing onto that barb fitting. You would then connect the other end of the manometer to the vacuum hose that you removed using a tubing or the vacuum restrictor.

After removal and cleaning of the throttle body, I believe the service manual suggests turning both the air screws all the way in and then back them out 1 and 1/2 turn for a starting point.

If the engine is running OK and you just want to check the balance you can just hook up the manometer and see how close to balanced they are without disturbing the air screws.

Both air screws will affect the vacuum balance. You just want to turn one or the other just a bit to get the liquid in the manometer to be the same level on both sides of the column.

The difference in liquid height on my Honda Shadow was about 3 inches of liquid to start and after the adjustment, it was less than one inch difference. The throttle response was better and the idle was smoother after the synchronize adjustment.
Back to top Go down
rjdoles
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
rjdoles

PostSubject: Re: Idle Speed Adjustment   idle - Idle Speed Adjustment I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 4:45 pm

I apologize for linking the manometer threads to the idle adjustment presentation that Blackfly posted. It was meant for the air screw adjustment presentation that Blackfly also posted in this category.

It doesn't pay to get in a hurry.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Idle Speed Adjustment   idle - Idle Speed Adjustment I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Idle Speed Adjustment
Page 1 of 1