Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hi there guys
madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 12:16 pm

» Rear shock longevity
madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield

Go down 
+11
Fazli
JeffR_
Windrider
ulflyer
Meldrew
honda_silver
bigbird
john grinsel
Darkeswinger
toolboxjesse
Madstad
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Madstad
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-03-02

madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield Empty
PostSubject: Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield   madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 9:23 am

Hello Silverwing Owners

The adjustable Madstad wind management system is soon to be available for the Silverwing600!
We are in the final stages of product development, I expect to have it on our website for purchase in the next two weeks.

Here are some pictures of our local tester.

madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield P1070546
madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield P1070545
madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield P1070540
madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield P1070539
madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield P1070538
madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield P1070535

Base shield will be satin black, And the windshields are available in a variety of tints. This kit will bolt in place of your stock shield, no modifications required.

www.madstad.com
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield   madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 10:12 am

If the price point is right (Cheaper than Givi Airflow) you have a customer!

Jesse in Atlanta
Back to top Go down
Darkeswinger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Darkeswinger

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield   madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 10:22 am

This will be a welcome relief if it really works! I have trouble buying shirts because my neck is so well developed from the constant work of fighting the turbulence. Would one of you wealthy retired types please buy one of these, (as soon as it becomes available), test it, and provide a report to the forum. I look to you all for leadership.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield   madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 10:38 am

Adjust great....but will not overcome the basic problem of buffeting, which is your nose if too far from tip of shield. See early Heinrich/Glaeser/CECO for reference. They provided comfort.

Somebody in UK once made fairing/shield for Helix with S bend that brought tip of shield closer to nose. I bought one and later gave away.

Anything will work better than stock SilverWing shield.
Back to top Go down
Madstad
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield   madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 11:02 am

Price for our standard 3pc system usually varies between 260 -300 depending on shield choice, However I see the Givi airflow. However, Keep in mind, that our system is infinitely adjustable, for tilt and height, and even depth. The Givi only slides. I will also mention that we have a satisfaction money back guarantee.

Darkeswinger wrote:
This will be a welcome relief if it really works! I have trouble buying shirts because my neck is so well developed from the constant work of fighting the turbulence. Would one of you wealthy retired types please buy one of these, (as soon as it becomes available), test it, and provide a report to the forum. I look to you all for leadership.

I would recommend that you google us for customer reviews, there are dozens of forum posts of our products on other motorcycles, with install pictures, with feedback on their performance.

Just a few of our other systems.
Harley Road glide
KLR650
BMW f800 and f650GS
Tiger 800
V-strom
Back to top Go down
Madstad
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield   madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 11:06 am

john grinsel wrote:
Adjust great....but will not overcome the basic problem of buffeting, which is your nose if too far from tip of shield. See early Heinrich/Glaeser/CECO for reference. They provided comfort.

Somebody in UK once made fairing/shield for Helix with S bend that brought tip of shield closer to nose. I bought one and later gave away.

Anything will work better than stock SilverWing shield.

I understand what you are saying here, however, We have several systems that are mounted on bikes with "far-forward" shields. Best example is probably the Harley road glide, and the shield being too far away from the rider has not been an issue to us yet.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield   madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 11:52 am

I look forward to seeing it is a viable alternative to the GIVI AF214 Airflow.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield   madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 11:58 am

You know the issue----factory designers don't ride---style sells.

Having sat over 1.5 million miles behind fairings, I am critical and experienced---I got my first Heinrich in spring 1959 in Germany after suffering behind little IDEAL screen in winter---use Heinrich as base line for comparison. A lot of people don't realize adjustable, great feature as seated height can vary from day to day. The modern maxiscooters all seem to have bad air management out of the box, keeping after market people in business. Funny,Vespa had it right long ago with proper height/look over screen providing still air for rider.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield   madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 12:02 pm

Yes, John, we get it that you're disappointed in factory windscreens.
That's why GIVI and Madstad are in business.

Continual bitching here isn't going to accomplish anything. I suggest you redirect your tirade towards the maxi scooter manufacturers at their websites.
Back to top Go down
Darkeswinger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Darkeswinger

PostSubject: Re: Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield   madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 1:49 pm

I can probably ride shirtless later in the month.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield   madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 8:53 pm

Darkeswinger wrote:
Would one of you wealthy retired types please buy one of these, (as soon as it becomes available), test it, and provide a report to the forum.

We will have to wait for the "first" member test.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield   madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 6:00 am

Darkeswinger wrote:
Would one of you wealthy retired types please buy one of these, (as soon as it becomes available), test it, and provide a report to the forum.

I'd have thought the wealthy retired types plus the vast majority of members have already junked the useless stock screen for a Givi, MRA, Clearview, Cee Bailey's etc, and don't need another. I've no idea if you're having turbulence problems behind a stock or aftermarket screen, and as you're interested in the Madstad, why can't you buy one ? Neutral

Last edited by Meldrew on Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ulflyer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ulflyer

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2011-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield   madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 6:44 am

Turbulance over the top in my face was solved, for me, long ago by putting on windshields that I look thru. My riding is pure leisure so its a rarity for me to get caught in the rain. When I do, its a bitch seeing thru the WS, faceshield and eyeglasses, but thats minor AFAIC. The B650 Exec with electric WS was the best I ever experienced.

I wish Madstad Eng will as its always nice to have another choice.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield   madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 11:12 am

Madstad wrote:
We are in the final stages of product development, I expect to have it on our website for purchase in the next two weeks

The windshield looks to be the original width of the original OEM windshield ... what protection (or options ) do you have for cold weather riding for the year rounders??
Back to top Go down
Windrider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Windrider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield   madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 8:15 pm

Too rich for me
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield   madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 8:29 pm

Bill,

That windshield looks much larger than the OEM windshield. I'm looking at the width of the shield and the width of the fairing and it seems much larger than the fairing.
Back to top Go down
Fazli
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield   madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 1:20 am

Would love to know what's the material of the base shield?
Back to top Go down
Madstad
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield   madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 4:04 pm

ulflyer wrote:
Turbulance over the top in my face was solved, for me, long ago by putting on windshields that I look thru. My riding is pure leisure so its a rarity for me to get caught in the rain. When I do, its a bitch seeing thru the WS, faceshield and eyeglasses, but thats minor AFAIC. The B650 Exec with electric WS was the best I ever experienced.

I wish Madstad Eng will as its always nice to have another choice.

Our goal is to eliminate turbulance without having to look through it, and this works out for most our customers. We set the windshield just below your sight line.

honda_silver wrote:

The windshield looks to be the original width of the original OEM windshield ... what protection (or options ) do you have for cold weather riding for the year rounders??

We will probably be making wider shield for this, our tester suggested the same thing. He wished it was just a few inches wider. But we are going to wait and see what the first few customers, and my second tester say before we add another shield to the collection.

Fazli wrote:
Would love to know what's the material of the base shield?

The base shield is powdercoated aluminum.
Back to top Go down
Darkeswinger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Darkeswinger

PostSubject: Re: Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield   madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 4:41 pm

Okay..., I will.

I'm feeling weak, but If I can just make it to the Plasma center one more time...
Back to top Go down
Fazli
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield   madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 10:30 pm

Madstad wrote:
The base shield is powdercoated aluminum.

Thanks for the info. How much would it cost me for the whole kit and to be shipped to Singapore?
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield   madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 10:59 pm

Madstad wrote:
honda_silver wrote:

We will probably be making wider shield for this, our tester suggested the same thing. He wished it was just a few inches wider. But we are going to wait and see what the first few customers, and my second tester say before we add another shield to the collection.

I have the Clearview XL (which has the widest width ), which provides wind protection for the inside half of the grips.

If the outside portions could be attached for cold weather and detached for hot weather may be a hugh plus.
Back to top Go down
Madstad
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield   madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 8:44 pm

Hey Guys,

Finally got the Silverwing on the site!

http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.5901/.f

Currently only the 18" clear shield is listed on the site, But you can order other tints and sizes, Please call or email about other windshields.

Current lead time on these is 7-10 days due to windshield backorders.

The 18" shield will work for taller riders, I am 6' and I found that sitting on the silverwing, With the shield low, My line of sight is just above the shield. However, the shield was not in its lowest position. I would recommend, that if you are under 5'9" that you order a 16" shield.

Again, Please call about shield sizing, if you have an questions, or doubts.
Back to top Go down
viclavigne
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
viclavigne

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2012-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield   madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 9:00 pm

I wouldn't mind trying it. I put a Madstad mounting bracket on my Suzuki V-Strom and it was a significant improvement. However, I just installed a Givi screen on my Swing and I'm not sure I need any more improvement on top of that.

Vic
Back to top Go down
RickV
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
RickV

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2010-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield   madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 5:18 pm

OK Group be nice to me - I decided to go forward and order the Madstad Robobracket system with the 18" clear shield - first short test ride was promising in that the wind noise was almost entirely eliminated. I went from the Givi "solid" shield and fully admit that I have not tried the Givi Airflow.

Here are some specifics on my install:

1. Install was painless - removed old screen, installed the robobrackets on the aluminum plate, screwed the plate on using the existing holes and screws and replaced the plastic.

2. Since I'm 6 ft, mounted the robobrackets in the highest position and then decided on the height and angle I thought best for me, tightened the brackets and fastened the shield. It is best to remove the shield to change the bracket settings but expect to do this only until I finalize the position for me. My first pass lets me just see over the shield while in a normal sitting position. Depending on my experience, I may choose to raise the angle to a slightly more vertical position.

I have placed a few photos in the album under my name if you wish to check it out.

Also, Madstad has the complete installation instructions available on a .PDF file on their site [referenced in a previous post] if you want more specifics.

I had hoped to be doing some test riding today but home with a sick spouse - will provide more info as I gain experience, but if it eliminates the wind noise from my helmet it is a keeper.

Rick V
Back to top Go down
Scoundrel
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Scoundrel

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2013-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield   madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 2:52 pm

OK, so having had this installed through fall, winter, and now getting into spring, what are your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
RickV
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
RickV

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2010-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield   madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield I_icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 11:05 pm

Scoundrel,

If I can do this correctly there is another post with my thoughts in General Chat for this March and here is the link:

https://www.silverwing600.com/t5940-madstad-windshield

With the lack of a MN Spring this year, I haven't been doing much more than a few local rides so far and everything from the post above still stands.

If there was something to add, I wish that the shield was about 2 inches closer to my face - if I lean down a bit to the shield there is a pocket no wind or noise - this is something that John G has mentioned in the past -being close to the shield.

Would I make the purchase again - yes I would. May still look to see what additional Madstad shield options are available but that will be later - interested in enjoying temps in the 70's for a change.

If there is anything specific you want to ask, get back to me.

Rick V
Back to top Go down
Scoundrel
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Scoundrel

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2013-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield   madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield I_icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 11:08 pm

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield   madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 12:11 am

Rick V, the thread you linked to is the cleanest thread I've seen in a long time. John asked a question and you answered him and he thanked you. You don't see threads stay on topic from start to finish often. I guess I just hijacked this thread, sorry. frustrated
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield   madstad - Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield
Page 1 of 1