Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Question about selling a bike I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Question about selling a bike I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Question about selling a bike I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Question about selling a bike I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Question about selling a bike I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Question about selling a bike I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Question about selling a bike I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Question about selling a bike I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Question about selling a bike I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Question about selling a bike I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Question about selling a bike

Go down 
+5
robert
Daboo
bigbird
joncallihan
bongo
9 posters
AuthorMessage
bongo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-01-16

Question about selling a bike Empty
PostSubject: Question about selling a bike   Question about selling a bike I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 11:35 am

I'm getting ready to put a bike on CL and have a couple of questions. What restrictions should I place on a potential buyer (pb) who wants to test drive the bike, assuming he has a valid mc endorsement? Should I make up a release form for the pb to sign in case he has an accident and causes property damage to a third party or injures himself or another party? Yes, I probably worry too much, but I do live in a litigious state. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Question about selling a bike   Question about selling a bike I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 11:55 am

IMHO, my advice is to not use Craigs List at all, nor EBay. Both are lawsuits waiting to happen.

:flower:
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Question about selling a bike   Question about selling a bike I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 1:09 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Daboo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Daboo

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2009-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Question about selling a bike   Question about selling a bike I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 7:43 pm

I asked the same question over on BurgmanUSA last April when I sold my 2007 400. Selling a car is different than selling a two-wheeler.

I wouldn't hesitate to use Craigslist...carefully. I met the prospective buyers always in a very public place with security cameras. They could look at it that way, and no one knew when we finished of where I lived. If they tried to steal it or whatever, there would be a record of them doing so.

Regarding a test ride. Not necessary. Not even thinking of the litigation prospects like someone mentioned, if they drop it at 3 mph in the parking lot...who pays for the damages? Actually, I can answer that. You do.

With a car, you can ride along which puts a damper on how much they beat the car and hopefully for them deciding to steal it. With a motorcycle, that's a lot harder to prevent. I let one guy do a test ride in a church parking lot...with his wife and kid standing next to me. I was hoping he'd come back for them. Laughing

The guy who bought the Burgman for his wife, didn't even ride it. They both looked at it. She sat on it and wanted to test ride it, but had very little experience. I'd let him ride it, but not her. His experience level was quite a bit. But he wasn't worried. He could see from starting it up on the center stand that it ran fine, and watched me ride in and away from our first meeting.

I hope that helps.

Chris
Back to top Go down
robert
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
robert

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Question about selling a bike   Question about selling a bike I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 7:59 pm

Be very careful about letting someone take a test ride, a few years ago my father, let a potential buyer take a test run, he never saw him or his full dress hog again.

Ride Safe...Robert in Az.
Back to top Go down
redeye
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2010-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Question about selling a bike   Question about selling a bike I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 8:11 pm

I have purchased three motorcycles privately via CraigsList and eBay. A fairly common, but nowhere near universal, requirement I see in their motorcycle listings is no test ride without cash in hand. Perhaps the thought here is no one should be riding your bike unless he is a serious potential buyer. This helps weed out the joy riders. As you mentioned, a valid MC license and appropriate gear (depending on your state) are reasonable requirements.

My neighbor (in Maryland - mandatory helmet law) sold his bike to a Pennsylvania rider (helmets optional over age 21). He test rode the bike around our neighborhood without a helmet. He got away with it, but it wasn't a great idea.

On one occasion, before bidding on my Silver Wing on eBay, the owner allowed a test ride without cash or anything else. That was the only time I have been able to do so, and was mildly surprised that he offered. But all of my private purchases on eBay and CraigsList have been smooth sailing. A bad experience on CraigsList or eBay can sour anyone's opinion, so perhaps I've been fortunate. With dealers, I have had one excellent experience, one OK experience, and one awful experience.

Although not really a response to your question, the most common problem I have with sellers has nothing to do with the condition of the motorcycle, but rather the status of the motorcycle's title.
Back to top Go down
ucwinters
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Question about selling a bike   Question about selling a bike I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 9:10 pm

Bongo,

I've sold a Burgman on Craig's List and bought my Silverwing off of Craig's List - no problem. I have a Zuma for sale on Craig's List at this time and regret not including in the description "please, no low-ball offers". Within an hour of listing the scoot had one call and an email (and several in the next few days) of folks offering me half of my asking price IF I would make the deal that very day - no thanks!

Ed W.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Question about selling a bike   Question about selling a bike I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 9:31 pm

bongo wrote:
I'm getting ready to put a bike on CL and have a couple of questions. What restrictions should I place on a potential buyer (pb) who wants to test drive the bike, assuming he has a valid mc endorsement?

Do not assume ... you need to verify they have a valid and current motorcycle license. You should also prove they have valid and current insurance.

You should retain the license, insurance and money or check while they test drive.

bongo wrote:
Should I make up a release form for the pb to sign in case he has an accident and causes property damage to a third party or injures himself or another party?

I could not find one form which handled everything.

I found this form very appropriate ( http://www.vinsolutions.com/forms/Test_Drive_Form_%28Form__FTD-1%29.PDF )

The laws for test drivers insurance assuming responsibility appear to vary from state to state.

I would check with your insurance company for any legal forms they may have or suggest.

I making sure that these additional text that would cover these areas

- In case of accident, the test driver has automatically purchased the damaged Silvering regardless of how much damage occurs

- Test driver must contact their insurance in your presence to confirm coverage for liability, comprehensive, and medical for both themselves and any third-party

- The test driver is solely responsible for any costs not covered by their insurance ... including but not limited any seller's legal costs.

- The sellers insurance will cover the test driver's.

bongo wrote:
I do live in a litigious state. Thanks.

It is better to protect yourself.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Question about selling a bike   Question about selling a bike I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 10:31 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Question about selling a bike   Question about selling a bike I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 12:10 am

bigbird wrote:
honda_silver wrote:

You should retain the license, insurance and money or check while they test drive.

Driving without a licence and insurance?
Maybe in Texas.

You cut off the lines before this section. Their license and their insurance. If you want you can give them a photo copy of their license and/or their insurance. It would not hurt to give them a copy of the legal document agreeing to the test drive otherwise what proof would they have that they did not steal the Silverwing.

FYI in Texas they can both look up your license and proof of insurance for the vehicle. The explanation to the policeman - that your license is being held during the test drive and they could proof with their copy of the legal document. You could add the text "Original driver license will be returned after return from the test drive".
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Question about selling a bike   Question about selling a bike I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 6:49 am

I have both sold and bought motorcycles/scooters on CraigsList - It has always gone well and been a seamless process. They need to have a motorcycle license AND convince me that they have sufficient experience to ride the SIZE/TYPE bike that I am selling. If you are selling a SWing then they would need to have experience with a 500 pound bike as they need to know how to balance/handle the SWing at slow speeds (up to 10mph) - as I believe that the chance of an accident is mostly at slow speeds (either accelerating or stopping). If you are uncomfortable with their experience then ask them to bring along a buddy who can handle the bike. I think it only fair to let someone (who is qualified of course) test drive the bike before they buy it. I never ask them to bring CASH to the test ride (or proof of insurance) as this cuts way down on those willing to buy your bike - if they like it you can then arrange how to make the transaction - banks are everywhere! You can hold their driver's license if you have concerns. No need to have anyone sign anything as I doubt that this is going to give you (or your bike) much protection. Your best protection is for YOU to have the proper insurance AND for you to do 'due diligence' on the buyer (get some background on them, where they live, how long they have had motorcycle license, what they ride, economic situation). If your gut gives you a good feeling about this person - go with it - and if not, be sure you don't let them ride it. No need to over analyze your sale - things always seem to work out. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
bongo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Question about selling a bike   Question about selling a bike I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 2:23 pm

Many excellent ideas here. Thanks everyone for your replies.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question about selling a bike   Question about selling a bike I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question about selling a bike
Page 1 of 1