Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hi there guys
Re-installed the stock variator I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 7:20 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Re-installed the stock variator I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Rear shock longevity
Re-installed the stock variator I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:10 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Re-installed the stock variator I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Re-installed the stock variator I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Re-installed the stock variator I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Re-installed the stock variator I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Re-installed the stock variator I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Re-installed the stock variator I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Re-installed the stock variator I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Re-installed the stock variator

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Re-installed the stock variator Empty
PostSubject: Re-installed the stock variator   Re-installed the stock variator I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 11:48 pm

Well I went out today to check out my pins on my J. Costa and found them to be very worn and have deep scratches on them. I probably have about 10,000 miles on them and they seem much more worn then my last set I replaced. So I re-installed my stock variator for now. After going for a short ride I noticed that my rpm's really aren't much lower then with the Costa which surprised me. Before I installed my Costa I was getting lower rpm's than I do now.

I might order new pins but may also see what the SWing is like stock for awhile. I have had the Costa on for over 1 1/2 years so I will see what it is like stock. It still run smooth and had plenty of power on the interstate. But at 70 mph indicated I was doing 5500 rpm's and when I got the SWing I would only run at 5,000 rpm's so I was surprised that my rpm's didn't go back to the way it was when I bought it.

Can anyone tell me what rpm's you are running with the stock variator when going 70 mph indicated? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2008-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Re-installed the stock variator   Re-installed the stock variator I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 1:21 pm

Hi Jeff,

But what does it feel like? Do you miss that added acceleration? How is it for belt slap and vibration? If you decide to stay with the stock variator, are you going to consider drilling the stock weights to make them lighter, or how about the Dr Pulley sliders.... I think they have come up with a second generation that don't topple.... Have fun.

Bernardo
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Re-installed the stock variator   Re-installed the stock variator I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 1:36 pm

Bernardo,

I only rode for a short distance to make sure all was good so I didn't really give throttle much really. I gave it gradual throttle but I didn't give it WOT at all. I was surprised when I looked at the pins on how pitted or scratched they were. The old ones, before this set, were worn but smooth, but these have deeper scratches. I was going to put a dry lubricant on the bell housing and then take it for a ride to see if it reduced the rpm's at all, or seemed smoother by getting reducing some of the friction.

I will ride it more and harder to see what the performance difference is. I know that when I installed it that there was a noticeable improvement. I was surprised that the rpm's didn't go down to the way it was when I bought the SWing. The belt does have about 10,000 miles but it looked new and it is the Mitshibishi belt and they aren't supposed to stretch as much. I was hoping that my rpm's at 70 would have went back to the 5,000 rpms as when original.

I have about 10,000 miles on my pins, I don't know the exact mileage, but was surprised when I saw the deep scratches on them. I didn't notice any belt slap at all but it could be because I don't have the stock belt too. But I will listen for that and other things the more I ride it. I just can't remember what the stock SWing was like, but I do remember it had more then enough power for my wife and I to ride the mountains. But the J. Costa does make it a bit more fun if you like to go fast. :m/c:
Back to top Go down
Scooterian
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Scooterian

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Re-installed the stock variator   Re-installed the stock variator I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 4:46 pm

I installed a new J. Costa yesterday. I got up to 70 mph indicated this afternoon. It's definitely 5500 rpm at 70 mph. My belt has about 2400 miles on it.
Back to top Go down
mr fish
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
mr fish

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2009-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Re-installed the stock variator   Re-installed the stock variator I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 7:10 pm

I looked today and was almost dead on 5500rpm at 70 mph i havent looked yet but im assuming i have a stock one...

john
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Re-installed the stock variator   Re-installed the stock variator I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 11:57 pm

John,

Thanks for the info. I could have sworn that mine was doing 5,000 at 70 but maybe I am wrong. I will check on the silverwing.org site since I think I posted my rpm's there when I got it. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Re-installed the stock variator   Re-installed the stock variator I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 12:47 pm

Jeff,

How worn is the belt? I'd think the belt is going to impact the engine speed (RPM) to bike speed (MPH). I do believe that a worn or older belt is less efficient, in transferring RPM into MPH and in obtaining maximum MPG.

I'm just into TLA's (Three Letter Acronym's) today. Must have something to do with this really boring document I'm reviewing.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Re-installed the stock variator   Re-installed the stock variator I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 1:28 pm

Dale,

The belt looked brand new still. It only has about 10,000 miles on it and is the Mitsibishi belt with kevlar. So I would think it would be ok. I will keep checking it out though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Re-installed the stock variator   Re-installed the stock variator I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 7:52 pm

I have a stock belt with 6000 miles on it with stock variator and rollers on my 07 wing. 70 mph is 5200 rpm's.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Re-installed the stock variator   Re-installed the stock variator I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Re-installed the stock variator
Page 1 of 1