Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Greetings from newbie in Arkansas I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 1:54 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Greetings from newbie in Arkansas I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Greetings from newbie in Arkansas I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Greetings from newbie in Arkansas I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Greetings from newbie in Arkansas I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Greetings from newbie in Arkansas I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Greetings from newbie in Arkansas I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Greetings from newbie in Arkansas I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Greetings from newbie in Arkansas I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Greetings from newbie in Arkansas I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Greetings from newbie in Arkansas

Go down 
+8
robert
GaryL
Waspie
tarmacburner2
Opalsboy
larryinseattle
"Hi Yo"
twila501
12 posters
AuthorMessage
twila501
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-12-23

Greetings from newbie in Arkansas Empty
PostSubject: Greetings from newbie in Arkansas   Greetings from newbie in Arkansas I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 9:49 pm

Happy holidays from NW Arkansas!

Just bought 2008 Silverwing yesterday. Rode it home, and it's safely in the garage. Too cold for this newbie to ride right now. It has 2,710 miles on it, an extra tall Givi windshield, fat chrome grips, and a plastic top box. Unfortunately the previous owner either took the center stand off, or never had it installed. No owner's manual either, but I did download one from a link I found on here. Is the center stand something that I should see about installing due to safety? Will I regret not having one?

Thanks! Twila
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Greetings from newbie in Arkansas 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from newbie in Arkansas   Greetings from newbie in Arkansas I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 10:13 pm

Howdy and welcome twila501. You live in a wonderful area for riding. Check the forum for riding and rally information to learn about the Scooting the Ozarks rally held in Eureka Springs. I definitely like having a centerstand. It makes it much easier to do basic maintenance.
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 387
Registration date : 2010-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from newbie in Arkansas   Greetings from newbie in Arkansas I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 11:31 pm

Greetings from newbie in Arkansas Wttg

Welcome from Seattle!
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from newbie in Arkansas   Greetings from newbie in Arkansas I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 12:16 am

Howdy and Welcome Twila ... Go Hogs ...
you are now among a group of friends that know more about the Silverwing than the law allows. The 08 is a good model. With only 2,700 miles on it it is like new. You are gonna love riding when the weather warms up in a couple of months.

The center stand was there originally. The original guy must have taken it off. If you know him, call him and see if it is still around. You really do need that for convenience for maintenance

I have triked my scoot out and took both stands off because I don't need them now. I don't remember if I still have that one out in my shop or not. If I do, I will let you know and if you want it, I can send it to you. OR maybe swap it for a couple of Cotton Bowl tickets.... cheers

Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from newbie in Arkansas   Greetings from newbie in Arkansas I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 6:08 am

Hello and welcome from over the pond. Like you I also have an 08 Silverwing.

Get a centre stand (note the correct spelling of 'centre' Rolling Eyes ). It will make routine maintenance much easier.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from newbie in Arkansas   Greetings from newbie in Arkansas I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 6:33 am

Hi and welcome.

Re the centre stand. If you plan on using your 'Wing' a lot I suggest you get a centre stand, very useful for maintenance. You can remove the rear wheel for example when stood on the centre stand.

Can't think why anyone would remove it!! Weird! What a Face
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
twila501
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from newbie in Arkansas   Greetings from newbie in Arkansas I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 8:58 am

Thanks everyone! I thought it was weird too, why someone would remove the center stand, but then I didn't realize it until after the deal was done. No, seller didn't have it around, so I wondered if I should pursue a new one. I have time to look for one and get it attached. I'm sure I'll have more questions. So far, I'm thrilled with it.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from newbie in Arkansas   Greetings from newbie in Arkansas I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 9:07 am

twila501 I would give the likes of ebay a search rather than pay top $ for a brand new one from Honda. Maybe you have a bike breakers yard near you too!

Worth a look!

Edited bit.

Just looked at ebay (US). There are a few advertised, range from $19.95 upwards.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from newbie in Arkansas   Greetings from newbie in Arkansas I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 11:09 am

When I installed a California Sidecar on a Helix, the center stand had to be removed.

I suspect that one of the previous owner's had a sidecar on it. I can't think of another reason why someone would remove such a useful item.

I would think there are plenty of them available as they never wear out and there are Swings being scrapped and parted out on ebay.

Back to top Go down
GaryL
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GaryL

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from newbie in Arkansas   Greetings from newbie in Arkansas I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 12:29 pm

Welcome to the forum! I concur with the rest... a center stand is indespensable for doing maintenance. I also agree that there are likely plenty of used ones available, so save your money and pick one up from a used source of your choice. Arkansas has some beatuiful roads. Enjoy the ride!! small moped
Back to top Go down
robert
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
robert

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from newbie in Arkansas   Greetings from newbie in Arkansas I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 1:19 pm

Hello twila501,

Welcome to the forum, I also own a 2008 model with very low mileage, you really need the center stand, when I have'nt ridden in a while, I go out to the garage, put the scoot up on the center stand, start her up and re-charge the battery.
Ride Safe...Robert in Az.

Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from newbie in Arkansas   Greetings from newbie in Arkansas I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 6:15 pm

Welcome! I have a 2005 with coming up 25,000 SMILES You will enjoy the best of the best as far as I am concerned. And yes, you do need the 'centre' stand. I would be lost without mine. I use it all the time and seldom use the side stand.
By the way, does anyone know of a cover for the rear axle nut hole? I think it would look better with a cover. That's just my thoughts. It measures just a little over 2 inches.
I will probably catch it for posting this question along with this message.
Welcome again and ride safe. It is about 55 degrees here today with 60 to 70 mph winds and a little rain. Was going to ride but not in that stuff!
Old Dave in Western Nebraska USA Smile
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from newbie in Arkansas   Greetings from newbie in Arkansas I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 8:35 pm

I did find the stand in my shop. The spring and bolts are out there somewhere. Too cold to search tonight. Let me know if you want the stand. I will give it to you. You can pm me.
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from newbie in Arkansas   Greetings from newbie in Arkansas I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2011 5:51 pm

Opalsboy wrote:
I did find the stand in my shop. The spring and bolts are out there somewhere. Too cold to search tonight. Let me know if you want the stand. I will give it to you. You can pm me.

You are generous and I thank you for the offer to another forum member. One of helping rather than back biting is refreshing.

Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from newbie in Arkansas   Greetings from newbie in Arkansas I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2011 10:02 pm

Thanks Larry, I do have a few good moments. Shocked

twila ... we are in good shape. I found everything except a couple of the bolts. I know I have them and will get everything together very soon and get them right out to you. I am going to enclose a diagram of the assembly for you to go by. Do you think that will be enough help or do you need more detailed instructions? Not trying to insult your intelligence, just wanting to help you do this job on your own. If we can avoid you having to pay someone to do this it will be good for you. For me it means making room in my shop for more stuff.

Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from newbie in Arkansas   Greetings from newbie in Arkansas I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2011 11:02 pm

Opalsboy:

Greetings from newbie in Arkansas Attachment
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from newbie in Arkansas   Greetings from newbie in Arkansas I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2011 11:42 pm

Welcome to the site. I couldn't do without my center stand really. I put it on the center always except when in my garage. Also, watch out for Gary (Opalsboy), he is a wiley one.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from newbie in Arkansas   Greetings from newbie in Arkansas I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2011 11:54 pm

JeffR_ wrote:
Also, watch out for Gary (Opalsboy), he is a wiley one.

Greetings from newbie in Arkansas Wile-e-coyote
Back to top Go down
twila501
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from newbie in Arkansas   Greetings from newbie in Arkansas I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2012 7:35 pm

Received package from Opalsboy today! Packed very well and included an exploded diagram of the parts. What a great guy! He even sent me some step by step pictures. Once I start working on it, I may need more help, but he's been wonderful. Thank you so much!!!!
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from newbie in Arkansas   Greetings from newbie in Arkansas I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2012 9:07 pm

Twila
Like I told you in my PM is was worth waiting for a free offer as I knew someone would pull through for you. cheers
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Greetings from newbie in Arkansas 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from newbie in Arkansas   Greetings from newbie in Arkansas I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2012 9:23 pm

twila501 wrote:
Received package from Opalsboy today! Packed very well and included an exploded diagram of the parts. What a great guy! He even sent me some step by step pictures. Once I start working on it, I may need more help, but he's been wonderful. Thank you so much!!!!
Now he'll need a larger helmet for his swelled head. Anyone got a 5x extra large? Seriously, he's probably the nicest guy in Rison and that tells you all you need to know about the size of that town. I hear the city limits signs are mounted on the same post. :lol!:
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from newbie in Arkansas   Greetings from newbie in Arkansas I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2012 9:36 pm

Roger said:

"he's probably the nicest guy in Rison"

I just happen to be the ONLY nice guy in town. Not really. There are at least 1270 other nice folks here.

Twila, glad you got that package that fast. Ride when you can.

Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from newbie in Arkansas   Greetings from newbie in Arkansas I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2012 10:22 pm

Opalsboy wrote:
Roger said:

"he's probably the nicest guy in Rison"
No
"Hi Yo" wrote:
Now he'll need a larger helmet for his swelled head. Anyone got a 5x extra large? Seriously, he's probably the nicest guy in Rison and that tells you all you need to know about the size of that town. I hear the city limits signs are mounted on the same post. :lol!:
But I will say Opalsboy has always offered to help me online and by PM and when I get ready to get my trike kit I will be picking his head as per his offer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from newbie in Arkansas   Greetings from newbie in Arkansas I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Greetings from newbie in Arkansas
Page 1 of 1