Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hi there guys
my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 7:20 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Rear shock longevity
my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:10 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off

Go down 
+5
honda_silver
Opalsboy
bigbird
DennisB
mmk-mywilverwing
9 posters
AuthorMessage
mmk-mywilverwing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-11-28

my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off Empty
PostSubject: my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off   my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 6:49 pm

Hi,

I just bought a 2002 silverwing and had a private mechanic change oil, transmission oil and spark plugs and i saw him tightening the drive belt tensioner as well! Now when i take off it is extremely rough, wining and front fairings are shaking.

Can anyone tell what the problem could be please?
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off   my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 6:55 pm

Sounds like your mechanic did not get the variator back together correctly. He needs to take it apart and make sure everything is correct.
Back to top Go down
mmk-mywilverwing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off   my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 6:58 pm

Thank you Mr. Dennis!! Now the scooter is back at Honda Dealer whom i dont trust!! He is saying ok let me open it and see then give you an estimate!! I am kind of new to bikes! How should i intelligently communicate to him about variator? What is variator and where is it and what is it's function?

Appreciate your help!!
Back to top Go down
mmk-mywilverwing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off   my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 7:15 pm

Mr. Dennis,

By the way i dont believe he had taken the variator out to change engine oil, spark plugs or transmission oil!!

What else could be the problem?
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off   my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 7:55 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off   my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 8:44 pm

Was the scooter working better before your mechanic worked on it. Let me be the second person to say that there is no drive belt adjustment on the Swing.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off   my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 10:32 pm

Go here to watch the variator in action. The belt moves up and down in the pulley as the variator spins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3vJEBOxAsE&feature=related

Then go to this pictorial that JeffR put up a long time ago to see more detail of what is needed to inspect and replace the belt and various other items that may be in need of maintenance.

https://www.silverwing600.com/t23-variator-and-belt-pictorial?highlight=variator
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off   my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 11:32 pm

Where are you located??

I am not sure the Honda Dealer is either knowledgeable or something else. It may be worth having a three-way phone call with a knowledgeable Silverrwing600 person, you and your dealer to understand exactly what they did ... before they do anything else.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off   my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 11:59 pm

Maybe instead of the "drive belt tensioner" ( which the SWing doesn't have) the mechanic might have messed with the bolt that holds the clutch on. If you look at the pictorial, of the clutch, you will see the bolt. Maybe he messed with this bolt. I never worked on my clutch but maybe by loosening or tightening it, might effect the workings of the clutch. Maybe others can chime in on this.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off   my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 4:27 am

mmk-mywilverwing wrote:
Hi,
Now when i take off it is extremely rough, wining and front fairings are shaking.

To much flap and I suspect you are leaving the undercarriage down maybe too long!!!

Or listen to what the others suggest cos I haven't a clue - sorry! What a Face
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off   my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 8:31 am

mmk-mywilverwing wrote:
Hi,

I just bought a 2002 silverwing and had a private mechanic change oil, transmission oil and spark plugs and i saw him tightening the drive belt tensioner as well! Now when i take off it is extremely rough, wining and front fairings are shaking.

mmk-mywilverwing wrote:
Thank you Mr. Dennis!! Now the scooter is back at Honda Dealer whom i dont trust!! He is saying ok let me open it and see then give you an estimate!! I am kind of new to bikes! How should i intelligently communicate to him about variator? What is variator and where is it and what is it's function?

Appreciate your help!!
Alright, so as I understand it -

- A private mechanic worked on it and potentially screwed up the drive line.
- You've taken it back (?) to the Honda Dealer who you don't trust, and that dealer is going to take a look and provide you an estimate of the cost to repair.
honda_silver wrote:
Where are you located??

I am not sure the Honda Dealer is either knowledgeable or something else. It may be worth having a three-way phone call with a knowledgeable Silverrwing600 person, you and your dealer to understand exactly what they did ... before they do anything else.
From these post of yours Bill has determined that the Honda Dealer may not be knowledgeable or something else.

Sounds to me like the private mechanic is not knowledgeable and that the Honda Dealer is attempting to do the right thing. Allow the dealership to do their task and then you will have a bit more information to go with. Do be certain to accurately describe the parts that have been worked on.

If you want to appear knowledgeable to the dealership do not mention a belt tensioner.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off   my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 9:57 am

mmk-mywilverwing wrote:
He is saying ok let me open it and see then give you an estimate!!

jdeereanton wrote:
Sounds to me like the private mechanic is not knowledgeable and that the Honda Dealer is attempting to do the right thing. Allow the dealership to do their task and then you will have a bit more information to go with.

Based on mmk-mywilverwing post, they want to investigate to give him an estimate!! If that is true, then the dealer is not trying to fix what they broke, but charge him extra.

Which is why I suggested a phone call ... upfront before they do any work ( or maybe any more damage ).
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off   my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 10:16 am

honda_silver wrote:
mmk-mywilverwing wrote:
He is saying ok let me open it and see then give you an estimate!!

jdeereanton wrote:
Sounds to me like the private mechanic is not knowledgeable and that the Honda Dealer is attempting to do the right thing. Allow the dealership to do their task and then you will have a bit more information to go with.

Based on mmk-mywilverwing post, they want to investigate to give him an estimate!! If that is true, then the dealer is not trying to fix what they broke, but charge him extra.

Which is why I suggested a phone call ... upfront before they do any work ( or maybe any more damage ).
The dealer didn't break anything. A private mechanic may have.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off   my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 10:34 am

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off   my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 1:01 pm

I have read this several times and dig this out of it, new owner without a clue on scooter, 9 year old scooter with unknown maint. history and starts out ruff.

First for owner, get a shop manual and at least learn where and what the parts are.

Then determine, high mileage or low mileage----low mileage, change all fluids! replace tires--age makes then slippery. Age of tires can be read off DOT number on tire sidewall.

High mileage, many of these things have probably been done....or it still wouldn't be moving very well.

Honda dealer should be able to judge what needs to be done. These things (scooters) are neither fool proof ir idiot proof, or cheap, but once sorted out and skillfully taken care of, they do bring lots of enjoyment.

Although I do own work and maint., Honda does warranty on new bikes for me---I think Honda dealer is best to work on SilverWing, because they have proabably seen one before.

Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off   my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 1:28 pm

Wise words John.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off   my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

my silverwing is extremely rough when it takes off
Page 1 of 1