Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

MPG before and after Dr. Sliders

Go down 
+14
Daboo
Meldrew
aerosilverwing
JeffR_
DennisB
masscoot
tankyuong
DARKSUN
DaveR
ulflyer
PHXScooterBill
The Scootist
bigbird
johnd
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

MPG before and after Dr. Sliders Empty
PostSubject: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 11:15 am

I have a 2008 with Diablo's and 17,000 miles on it with an over size windshield and a drilled out air box and leg deflectors.

Before installing a new belt Dr. Sliders, 26g, Ride On tire balance and a bottle of fuel system cleaner I was getting only 45.5 mpg on a flat road going no more than 65 mph. Now after the changes I am getting a true 55.5 mpg. That is a 10 mpg increase in gas millage.

While checking my mpg I also checked the rpm difference before and after installing the sliders.

At 60 mph I was running 4900 rpms and at 50 mph. 4000 rpm.

With the sliders installed I ran 4500 rms and at 60 mph and 5000 rpm. at 70 mph.

It runs smoother from 40 mph. accelerating all the way the power band than before and I am back up to 105 mph on the flat ground.

I don't care if you think ridding that fast is stupid or not. I ride like I stole the bike, and for what I paid for it, I did. alien beamed up

Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 12:09 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 10:43 pm

I am running the 22 g sliders and I average around 55 mpg in summer, but in the winter when they make us use the 10% ethanol fuel it drops to 51mpg or so. The accelleration is very strong, but I think I dropped a couple of mph off the top end. The highest indicated speed I have been able to observe is 111mph. Before the sliders I could hit 115mph.
Back to top Go down
PHXScooterBill
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
PHXScooterBill

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2011-06-07

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 1:59 pm

johnd wrote:
I have a 2008 with Diablo's and 17,000 miles on it with an over size windshield and a drilled out air box and leg deflectors.
Before installing a new belt Dr. Sliders, 26g, Ride On tire balance and a bottle of fuel system cleaner I was getting only 45.5 mpg on a flat road going no more than 65 mph. Now after the changes I am getting a true 55.5 mpg. That is a 10 mpg increase in gas millage.
Can you tell us which "fuel system cleaner" you used and what you mean by a "drilled out air box"? I have been wanting to improve my fuel economy as my S-Wing gets from 45 mpg in the heat of summer down to 39 in the dead of winter.
BTW, is there a pictorial on changing out the air filter? I haven't the slightest on where it is located. I've now had the bike for almost a year and haven't put many miles on it (short commute) and didn't worry about too much as the previous owner did a lot of service in his final months (belt, brakes, etc) but now I think it's time to check on all this stuff.
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 2:23 pm

Bill:
The "drilled out air box" refers to drilling several 1" diameter holes in the plastic cover to the air box. This allows more air to enter the engine. The idea is to allow the engine to breath more easily. It really only makes sense to drill the air box if you also put a free flow exhaust on your bike and a high flow air filter. If your bike has the O2 sensor on the exhaust (2008 or later), make sure the replacement exhaust also has a place to attach the sensor. It seems to help the engine run more efficiently. Your mpgs seem pretty low. I would look at replacing the air filter with a high flow filter (K&N). The air intake is under the right side tupperware panel towards the front of the seat. Someone has posted photos of how to access it. I have the K&N air filter, a driller air box, and the Leo Vince exhaust. I also have a power commander that was dyno tuned for my altitude. I like the mpgs I get and I do not drive like a guy who is trying to get good mpgs...
Back to top Go down
PHXScooterBill
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
PHXScooterBill

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 4:37 pm

Thanks Scootist,
By the tupperware panel near the front of the seat I take it you mean the middle's textured black plastic and not the colored body panels. I have been unable to find the procedure in the pictorials section...Okay, scratch that--I've just found it.
And which fuel additive were you using again?
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 4:43 pm

Bill:
I just add a little STP gas treatment every other tank or so in the winter. It seems to help keep things running smooth and crisp. Without it the engine seems to fire a little bit "mushy" after a few tanks of that ethanol crap.
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 5:32 pm

I bought the most expensive fuel system product I could find. Only used a 1/4 of the bottle and the rest went into my truck. I also have the K&N air filter. Expensive but you only have to buy one
Back to top Go down
ulflyer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ulflyer

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2011-10-27

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 8:00 am

For those of you who have drilled holes in the airbox: did you notice any diff in sound of the engine? I ask, because on some machines, you get feedback noise from the motor. I think thats part of the reason mfg's build such large covered air boxes.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 8:28 am

x

Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 11:18 am

I have replaced my drive belt at 18000 miles and now at 24000 smiles. So, in view of that I do know how it all works but, when you talk about the different weight "sliders" which do you recommend and are they referred as that in the maintenance manual? I do need to improve my gas mileage somehow. We are at 3965 altitude but do go to Wyoming and Colorado on rides with altitudes of 12000 feet. Also where can you purchase this "package"? I do not want to drill holes or replace the exhaust system. I like to keep it as stock as possible but would replace the needed drive components. Thanks in advance for the info.
Old Dave in Western Nebraska
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 11:37 am

Ulflyer:
I would say drilling the air box did cause a slight change in the sound of the engine and personnally, I like the change. It seems to have a bit more of a raspy note to it along with a little more cowling howl at certain rpms.

Dave:
I started with the 26g sliders and liked the improvement in accelleration as well as the fact that I was getting as much as 59 mpg (my average was more like 55 mpg). Then I switched to the 22 g sliders and got even better accelleration (which is useful climbing hills here in Colorado) and it didn't seem to hurt my mpgs. I still average about 55 mpg in summer and in winter it drops to about 51 mpgs. (I think it is due to the 10% ethanol gas)
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 11:47 am

Thanks for your reply. Where did you order them from and what was the $ factor? My daughter and her husband live in Littleton. Would like to ride with you sometime. Come on over.....
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 12:37 pm

Dave:
I ordered them from Monster Scooter Parts. They cost around $60 or so. Let me know when you are in town and maybe we can go for a ride. That would be fun.
D
Back to top Go down
ulflyer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ulflyer

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2011-10-27

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 3:26 pm

The Scootist: Any interest in selling the 26g sliders? Sounds like something I might be tempted to try on the Wing. If so, shoot me an email.
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 5:36 pm

Scootist,
How can I contact you?
Dave R
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 5:40 pm

Why did you go from the 26 . . . sounds like you had good performance.
Dave R
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 9:55 pm

Dave:
The 26 g sliders were better than the stock Honda rollers, but the accelleration wasn't quite as good as I had with the J Costa Variator. Using the 22 g sliders the accelleration is really close to what I had with the J Costa. When you consider that with the 22 g sliders my mpgs are still in the 51 to 55 mpg range, the sliders are a far better option than the J Costa.
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 11:28 pm

I received my 26g Dr Pully sliders and installed them yesterday afternoon. We rode today 225 Smiles weather was nice very little wind. I really liked the performance but could not say I noticed any fuel improvement. I did notice at 65 on the GPS it was running 5000RPM. Is this about what it should be? Seemed like I was turning about 500RPM less in the cruise range but when I filled with gas it used just as much as always. What do I need to check? I really could not give it a true check as I had intended because the fellows I was riding with were going 'fast'. Top speed on the GPS was 99.8 MPH. Think we passed everything on the road. I was also using 85 octane Gas no Ethanol.
Dave
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 12:08 am

x

Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 6:00 pm

I did go for a run of 124 miles with the 26g Dr Pully Sliders installed. Was satisfied with the performance but did not realize a change in mpg. "We" rode pretty agressively though. I did notice a 500rpm drop though so that should mean better mpg. Will check it again. Sounds like I may need to go to the 22g sliders. What do you think?
Old Dave
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 6:05 pm

x

Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 9:50 pm

Thank you very much for answering my question Bigbird. That is what I needed to know. I like how my Silverwing performs now and I think when it warms up I will notice an increase in mpg. Right now we are operating in cold weather and I am pretty agressive.
Old Dave
Back to top Go down
PHXScooterBill
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
PHXScooterBill

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 4:54 pm

I've always gotten only from 40-45 mpg here. My ride to work is 12 mi round trip with about four stop lights and speed limits between 35 & 55 mph. Mileage improves in the summer, now I'm in between at 42.5 mpg. I'm hoping that DP Sliders will help. Of course, it'll take time for the gas savings to off-set the cost, particularly if someone else does them. Still I'm committed to getting them, for the gas savings and improved acceleration.
Tell me though, which seems like a better option for my situation? 24 or 26 gram? I lean toward 24, but would I get enough of a gas savings to keep me happy (53-55mpg) or would I have to go with 26 grams and only get a slight acceleration over stock?
Back to top Go down
DARKSUN
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DARKSUN

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2011-08-02

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 12:00 am

OK I am going to get the 22 sliders,... My swing is for fun and the sun, so losing a few mpg will not hurt me... BUT i am a BIG boy... 300lbs in my b-day suite LOL.

Will the 22 be good for me or 24... I want faster acceleration, but i dont want it to lurch (like poping a clutch) feeling when i am in rush hour traffic or while carving a canyon and in full lean in a corner.....

I keep reading about HyperPro springs...will this help me? in what way? I have my factory spring set to 5, firmest i believe because even solo, my weight is like 2 up riding.

Advice? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 1:18 am

got 24 and not even close to jcosta, anyone still looking for pins?Not too many places have them.
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 9:54 am

Just my 2¢, you can also try mixing slider weights. The 22g's offer fantastic accelleration but limit the top end. The 28gs offer stock weight and stock performance but smoother operation. A friend did some experimenting on his SW and suggested I mix the weights. I run 4 22gs and 4 28g sliders (every other slot). This combo results in quicker (not head snapping) take offs, a smooth transition thru the power band.

I know this thread is about MPG's so my comment is this. Before sliders it was horrible. During this series of mods I changed spark plugs and air filter also. Science tell us to only change one variable and measure the results. No numbers crunched or recorded but some general conclusions are the bike runs smoother and the performance is not sluggish at all. My MPG's went from 45-47 to a wopping 55-58 mpg. Like most I do not ride to squeeze mpgs but the scooter (and I) certainly enjoyed the changes!
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 10:57 am

Masscoot,

Great thinking.

I was thinking the same for some time now. 50/50 weight change. I was thinking 26g and 22g as a combo.

Would you like to sell your other (4) 22g silders?
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 11:26 am

x

Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 11:30 am

I had the 22g sliders and it gave a bit more acceleration than the j costa, IMO. And then I think I sold them to Paul and bought the 28gr sliders. I kind of like the easy going ride now with the 28 gr but if you want more acceleration than mixing the 2 weights would be good or getting the 26gr would do it to.

I still need to clean out my K&N and also change/clean my plugs for general maintenance. It has been awhile. My mileage generally averages at 50 mpg. For those getting in the low 40's..you may want to take it to the shop and have them adjust the 2 air/fuel mixture screws. I mistakenly turned one of them and my mpgs' did go down a bit so I'm thinking of taking it to the shop to have them adjust it properly. I know I could buy the tool but for this I would rather have them do it.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 11:37 am

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
PHXScooterBill
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
PHXScooterBill

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 1:55 pm

So those of you with 24 gram, what mpg do you average? What is your acceleration over stock like?
Those of you with 26 gram, what mpg do you average and what is your acceleration over stock like?
I'm trying to weigh out which of the two to buy. I lean toward the 24 if I'll still get good mpg with superior take-off but it seems like maybe 26 might be the better balance of the two.

Last edited by LVScooterBill on Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 2:36 pm

Bill:
I have the 22 g sliders and I still average 55 mpg in summer and 50 mpg in winter. You should get the 22g. When you twist the throttle hang on and say WAHOOO... You won't be sorry.
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 2:37 pm

Ok a bit of humble pie Embarassed ...but not so fast!
I checked the package that I got from JeffR and it clearly says 20g. I had just purchased a set of 28g sliders to replace my stock rollers, so I thought I would try the experiment that was suggested to me. In my case I used the parts that were in hand to achieve the end result. If I were to do it again, I agree with BBird and would just buy the 24g set. At $54 USD they are a great mod for your SW.

I have 20g & 28g sliders mixed for a total of 192 grams.

According to buggypartsnw the replacement weights available for the SW are: 28,26,24,22,21 grams.
If we throw out the 28g's as just stock performance, and the 21g's as neck-snapping accelleration we are left with the middle three. Is the following accurate?

28*8=224g total weight-stock performance
26*8=208g total weight-slightly better than stock but lower top end
24*8=192g total weight-middle of the road: faster take offs slightly lower top end
22*8=176g total weight-even quicker take offs but top end suffers
21*8=168g total weight-neck snapping take offs but poor top end
As total weight (of the sliders) goes down so does the MPG. My mpg has been a consistant 50-54 when I'm not too heavy on the throttle.
Comments please.

Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 2:40 pm

Paul:
I have the 22 g sliders. The accelleration is very strong. Probably as good as with the J Costa variator. I can still hit 111 on the speedometer, so you decide if that is enough. I average 55 mpg in summer and 50 in winter. Not bad in my estimation.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 2:45 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 2:59 pm

Thank you BBird!
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 3:25 pm

Terry,

If it weren't winter out I would ride up and let you adjust them for me. but I know you don't go out in the cold. I think I thought the one screw was the idle adjustment and I just messed up. That is why I went back to the pictorial I did on the idle adjustment to tell others not to do what I did.

Paul,

I didn't realize they were 20 grams either. I hope you don't think I screwed you over by selling them to you as 20 gr. I thought 22 gr was the lightest weights they had. But I have to say..I think they gave better acceleration than the J. costa. It was really something.
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 3:37 pm

JeffR_ wrote:
Paul,

I didn't realize they were 20 grams either. I hope you don't think I screwed you over by selling them to you as 20 gr. I thought 22 gr was the lightest weights they had. But I have to say..I think they gave better acceleration than the J. costa. It was really something.

Not in the least bit Jeff, you are an honorable gentleman! I was also confused on what weights were available. Either way I am pleased with the better performance! Thanks again
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Springs   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 11:57 am

The HyerPro springs we talk about go inside the front tubes and can not be adjusted like the rear. The difference will in the way the bike handles the twisties. It will feel like a different bike altogether. stiffer, tighter and less softness. I will never go back to the originals. This is my own opinion.

DARKSUN wrote:
OK I am going to get the 22 sliders,... My
swing is for fun and the sun, so losing a few mpg will not hurt me... BUT i am a BIG boy... 300lbs in my b-day suite LOL.

Will the 22 be good for me or 24... I want faster acceleration, but i dont want it to lurch (like poping a clutch) feeling when i am in rush hour traffic or while carving a canyon and in full lean in a corner.....

I keep reading about HyperPro springs...will this help me? in what way? I have my factory spring set to 5, firmest i believe because even solo, my weight is like 2 up riding.

Advice? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
aerosilverwing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2012-02-09

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 2:51 am

[quote="bigbirdCompared to the stock rollers, the 24gr sliders feel like adding another 5-8hp to the engine, even though they don't. All the sliders and J. Costa variator do is kick the rpm up higher while accelerating. This puts the engine closer to its 5000 rpm torque peak, giving the best acceleration. As soon as the throttle is let off, the sliders move and their ramp contour causes the variator to squeeze the belt, forcing it higher up between the drive faces, making the belt rotate faster. This effectively lowers engine rpm for any given road speed while cruising, not accelerating.
Hope this helps.[/quote]

Helps more folks than you know! Great explanation.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 5:41 pm

johnd wrote:
The HyerPro springs we talk about go inside the front tubes and can not be adjusted like the rear. The difference will in the way the bike handles the twisties. It will feel like a different bike altogether. stiffer, tighter and less softness. I will never go back to the originals.

Well you wouldn't would you, if you've already bought and fitted them. Neutral
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 9:43 pm

Just curious Meldrew, but have you have actually ridden a Silverwing that has the HyperPro front springs? I have added them to both of my Silverwings and will add them to any other Silverwings I own. They really do transform the handling of the bike. If you prefer to ride a bike with a mushy front end that nose dives and washes out in hard corners that is fine, but I do not.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 9:49 pm

masscoot wrote:
JeffR_ wrote:
Paul,

Not in the least bit Jeff, you are an honorable gentleman! I was also confused on what weights were available. Either way I am pleased with the better performance! Thanks again

Thanks Paul.

As for the hyperpro springs...if I were to do certain mods this would be my 2nd mod. The windshield is first since I sit kind of high and then the hyperpro would be my next mod. As "Scootist" and many others have said, it really gives it a motorcycle feel. My springs only cost $155 and the labor I think was about $100.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 11:48 am

The Scootist wrote:
Just curious Meldrew, but have you have actually ridden a Silverwing that has the HyperPro front springs? I have added them to both of my Silverwings and will add them to any other Silverwings I own. They really do transform the handling of the bike. If you prefer to ride a bike with a mushy front end that nose dives and washes out in hard corners that is fine, but I do not.

No I haven't, this is my first Silver Wing, but I've had four other maxi scooters and a couple of dozen bikes, and I've never changed fork springs of any of them. In fact it seems that it's mainly Americans worry about these things. There was a lad on the UK Muppets forum asking about Hyperpro springs for his 650 Burgman because he'd been reading similar posts on Burgman USA. I do have a brand new set of fork springs in my garage but I can't remember if they were for a MZ ETZ 250, or a BMW R80 GS.

The only problems I've ever had with front suspension was from the constant pounding of uneven concrete slabs on a long section of pre-war autobahn touring in East Germany . It blew the right hand fork seal of my MZ, and covered my boot with a mist of oil, all I did was wipe the oil off my boot and carry on into Czechoslovakia

It still handled the same, in fact I rode the bike for another two years before I sold it. I also regularly ride in the Harz Mountains in Germany which is basically a big bikers playground, and I've been taking scooters there for years. I'll take the Silver Wing there and have a great time. All this "washes out in hard corners" rubbish, you've been watching too many too many post race interviews on TV mate. Rolling Eyes I haven't ridden a bike fitted with a 'beverage holder' either, isn't that essential too? Smile
Back to top Go down
Daboo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Daboo

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2009-12-08

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 12:54 pm

Meldrew wrote:
... Rolling Eyes I haven't ridden a bike fitted with a 'beverage holder' either, isn't that essential too? Smile
Meldrew...of course it is! Shocked At least for those of us who live in Seattle and drink Starbucks!

Best performance mod around! Laughing

Chris
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: HyperPro front springs   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 2:03 pm

Sounds like you are knocking something you have never tried there friend. I don't care how many bikes you have or have ridden. Feeling is believing.
Come over here to California where I am still ridding 150 to 200miles a weekend and I will let you test drive mine.
Hell, I even buy you a real cup of coffee. affraid

Meldrew wrote:
The Scootist wrote:

No I haven't, this is my first Silver Wing, but I've had four other maxi scooters and a couple of dozen bikes, and I've never changed fork springs of any of them. In fact it seems that it's mainly Americans worry about these things. There was a lad on the UK Muppets forum asking about Hyperpro springs for his 650 Burgman because he'd been reading similar posts on Burgman USA. I do have a brand new set of fork springs in my garage but I can't remember if they were for a MZ ETZ 250, or a BMW R80 GS.

The only problems I've ever had with front suspension was from the constant pounding of uneven concrete slabs on a long section of pre-war autobahn touring in East Germany . It blew the right hand fork seal of my MZ, and covered my boot with a mist of oil, all I did was wipe the oil off my boot and carry on into Czechoslovakia

It still handled the same, in fact I rode the bike for another two years before I sold it. I also regularly ride in the Harz Mountains in Germany which is basically a big bikers playground, and I've been taking scooters there for years. I'll take the Silver Wing there and have a great time. All this "washes out in hard corners" rubbish, you've been watching too many too many post race interviews on TV mate. Rolling Eyes I haven't ridden a bike fitted with a 'beverage holder' either, isn't that essential too? Smile
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 3:01 pm

Daboo wrote:
At least for those of us who live in Seattle and drink Starbucks!

Chris .... I do not know why but somehow that changed my perception of you rolling laughter
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 3:15 pm

johnd wrote:
Come over here to California where I am still ridding 150 to 200miles a weekend and I will let you test drive mine.

Wow, I regularly ride from my home in Cumbria to York which is 150 miles away including a very cold and windy section over the Pennines in about three hours, and sometimes ride the same 150 mile route back home again the same day. Coming over to ride your scooter would show me exactly what? Smile
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 6:42 pm

Another thread to dive into, 'if your bike hasn't got' it therefore has to be inferior type of thread.

If front springs are your thing - marvelous. If not - again - marvelous.

Horses for courses folks. Lets not get into the you have to have this because I have scenario.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MPG before and after Dr. Sliders
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next