Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Speed Limits? I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Speed Limits? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Speed Limits? I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Speed Limits? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Speed Limits? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Speed Limits? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Speed Limits? I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Speed Limits? I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Speed Limits? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Speed Limits? I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Speed Limits?

Go down 
+8
The Scootist
mr fish
dspevack
DickO
cruiser
joncallihan
Cornishman
jdeereanton
12 posters

When you ride how does the "Posted Speed Limit" factor into your ride?
Speed limits are the law and everyone should obey the law.
Speed Limits? I_vote_lcap0%Speed Limits? I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
I always ride at the posted speed limit.
Speed Limits? I_vote_lcap6%Speed Limits? I_vote_rcap
 6% [ 2 ]
I generally ride at the posted speed limit, but will occasionally twist the throttle.
Speed Limits? I_vote_lcap56%Speed Limits? I_vote_rcap
 56% [ 20 ]
I generally ride at the posted speed limit, but sometimes I lose track and find myself speeding along.
Speed Limits? I_vote_lcap31%Speed Limits? I_vote_rcap
 31% [ 11 ]
I'd like to ride the posted speed limit, but bikes today are capable of so much better handling that the posted limits make no sense.
Speed Limits? I_vote_lcap0%Speed Limits? I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Speed Limits - Schmeed limits. Try to catch me.
Speed Limits? I_vote_lcap7%Speed Limits? I_vote_rcap
 7% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 36

AuthorMessage
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Speed Limits? Empty
PostSubject: Speed Limits?   Speed Limits? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 6:51 am

I've seen a bit of speed limit discussion lately so thought I'd ask...
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
Cornishman
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Cornishman

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Speed Limits? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Limits?   Speed Limits? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 8:32 am

I try to stick to the limits as it makes for a less stressful ride/drive, you don't have to keep watching for patrol cars or cameras.

Having said that I got pinged twice this year. Once on the bike and once in the car. I got awarded a fine and points on my license for the first as it was 43 in a 30 zone. The second time I was asked if I wanted to take a Speed Awareness Workshop. I had to pay the same amount as a fine but no points awarded. Each offence would have been three points, twelve points and you lose your license. affraid
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Speed Limits? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Limits?   Speed Limits? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 11:30 am

The hardest part of obeying the speed limit is in school zones -- the silly little Swing does not like to go only 15 - 20 mph.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com

Speed Limits? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Limits?   Speed Limits? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 1:16 pm

I generally ride under the speed limits and watch in the mirrors for anyone coming up ... and I often pull over and let them pass. I have done that when not even seeing the deer coming out of the woods and only saw them when the cars (pick up trucks, actually) had to slam their brakes when the deer came onto the road in front of them. I was on the side of the road watching. Nothing got hit but those drivers really were surprised.
And, no, I have never been ticketed for driving too slow.
Back to top Go down
cruiser
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
cruiser

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Speed Limits? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Limits?   Speed Limits? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 4:26 pm

The problem is it's just way to much fun and easy to ride fast. :ROTF:
lately theres been pirat troopers and city cops everywhere. I was taged
the other day for going 66 in a 55 mph on the interstate, I told him I was
just cruiseing with the traffic, Shocked in which I was, I just happend to
be the first one to come around the bend, he checked my licence
and insurance then said a few things then smiled Laughing and let me go as his first
warning of the day. After I put my stuff up I looked back and he was already hanging out his car door. :mallet:
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Speed Limits? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Limits?   Speed Limits? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 6:02 pm

Many years ago, I was happily exceeding the speed limit coming down the east side of Wolf Creek Pass (in southwestern Colorado) on my BSA 500cc single.

I met a state trooper going up the pass. A mile or two later my mirrors got full of flashing red lights. I pulled over first chance. He got out of his car, looked at my driver's license and bike registration. He told me that he had a Matchless G50 (also a 500cc single) at home. We talked about big singles for about 20 minutes. He looked at his watch, said "if you had been driving at the speed limit, you would be here about now. Ride safe". He got in his car, went on his way back up the hill, I went on my way down.

I rode closer to the speed limit the rest of the way home.
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Speed Limits? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Limits?   Speed Limits? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 6:26 pm

I've been pretty lucky. Just a couple of days ago was headed home on the bike from a "rural" town about 12 miles away and since the country highway was empty I was hitting right on 60 in a 55 and was slaloming along enjoying myself. Just as I crested a small rise, I saw a county sheriff sitting in his truck in one the KDOT storage areas. Waved as I went by and so did he. Whether I was doing the indicated 60 or maybe a more real 55 really didn't mean much. Five over the limit is pretty much allowed here in eastern Kansas. Which is usually where I set my speed at.

I agree with 'cornishman', staying close to the limit is much less stressfull and much more enjoyable. Having said that, one of these days I'll get burnt when I'm in a more "playfull" mood.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Speed Limits? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Limits?   Speed Limits? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 6:48 pm

I think the "Try to catch me" option is funny when the Swing can only do
about 105 actual.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995

Speed Limits? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Limits?   Speed Limits? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 7:15 pm

Yes, certainly the try to catch me option is not realistic as the SilverWing does not really have get away top end. And, even in a deep Walter Mitty ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_Life_of_Walter_Mitty ) moment I doubt any of us would actually believe that such was possible.

Just a funny way to pose an option of I do not really care about the speed limit.

As for myself I generally ride at the posted speed limit, but sometimes I lose track and find myself speeding along.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
mr fish
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
mr fish

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2009-03-23

Speed Limits? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Limits?   Speed Limits? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 10:40 am

I try to stick to limits through villages and around towns :D but on the open road have been know to get carried away Rolling Eyes It all depends on how much prior vision i have and turnings etc (I do try but the voices make me do it)

john
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

Speed Limits? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Limits?   Speed Limits? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 12:59 pm

When I'm in traffic, in town, or in some area where extra caution is warranted (like in a school zone), I usually go at or just below the posted limit. I enjoy sitting back and cruising along most of the time, but I admit, when I get out on the open road with no other traffic, or on some of those nice twisty sections, then I will occasionally air it out for a bit. But then, after a little while, I settle back into a nice relaxing cruise.
Back to top Go down
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2008-12-25

Speed Limits? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Limits?   Speed Limits? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 8:52 pm

About a dozen years ago my ride was a BMW K100RT, with a modified suspension.... This meant that unlike the stock version, you could actually corner quite hard and fast without coming out the corner with a tank slapper, or weave and super accelerated racing heart with elevated blood pressure.....

The down side was that I started going everywhere just too damn fast... I tried the Institute of Advanced Motorists, but this just made me even more frustrated Riding what I thought was way too slow... In the end I sold the bike, as it had turned out to be as expensive as a car to run, especially whenever something went wrong with it.....

But life with no bike was awful, so after a year I bought a BMW 650 funduro, a single cylinder thumper. Fun and relaible, but not enough oomph.... (great fuel economy though!).

Then the wife came along, then family, and the bike just gathered dust. I sold it and never went near a bike for about ten years, until I got the S'Wing....

Good but guess what, I wanted it to be faster.... Nothing that some mods, a wedge of cash and good mechanics can't fix.....

Then I went and got a 900cc bike aswell...

I think I must have matured though, because both machines have a fairly laid back character that isn't tempting you to go faster all the time.... Indeed all the machines I've test ridden, its the comfortable ones wth this easy going character that I favour, but that can on occasion still hustle when you want too.

These days I find the roads too busy, and ful of angry frustrated motorists who just do not see you.... So you have to pick your moments to go fast.... Besides which you get to just filter past all the cars at the next set of lights... To that end the advanced riding techniques I am revisiting are helping. I need to start going to the local group again. I tend not to speed in low limit areas, especially urban and built up areas. On open roads with less traffic I will sometimes go a bit faster then perhaps I should.

What has helped me a lot is thinking "more haste less speed". It also makes for a more relaxing and enjoyable ride. Besides you usually get to where you are going just as quick as when you are speeding...
Back to top Go down

Speed Limits? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Limits?   Speed Limits? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 11:14 pm

I'm sure it's much more of a guy thing. As a women I see my bike as my outlet and time to soak in nature. I don't want to work on the bike I just want it to run. I bought the 09 over the 08 because I liked the new color...LOL. The service guys smiled and rolled their eyes Rolling Eyes
I'm sure when I was younger I did drive a bit faster but years working on the life squad certainly changed that. Seeing the results of a bad decision and what could happen in a heartbeat slowed me down.
I think it's just in guy's nature to want to fly and have the thrills of the speed. :m/c:
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Speed Limits? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Limits?   Speed Limits? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 11:57 pm

I usually ride about 5 mph over the speed limit in the city and about the same on the interstate. But, there are times when I will ride at about 80 mph indicated on the interstate. It seems the SWing just naturally wants to go 80 indicated. I will try to only go 70 indicated but it keeps creeping up to 80 mph indicated. But people out here in the Bay area just seem to go fast anyway so I'm really just keeping up most of the time. Good poll.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
dickie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
dickie

Number of posts : 238

Speed Limits? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Limits?   Speed Limits? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 10:36 am

joncallihan..
Your reference to your BSA single brings a smile on my face. I courted my wife on a 441 Victor. I have no idea how fast I went as the speedo quit shortly after I bought it new. I did travel from Warrenton, VA to Corning, NY area on it but most was Blue Ridge mountains and back trails. My wife still tells people that it didn't need the front wheel as we were prone to lift it often back then. Lucas electrics and Smith speedos were not my real good friends back then but it was a cool motorcycle. Starting the thing at times could be a challenge. Thanks for the memories... I tend to stay a couple of miles over the limit now and really want to see whats in between rather than get there in a hurry. Dick
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Speed Limits? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Limits?   Speed Limits? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 1:53 pm

Dick,

When I had the B50 my son was 12 -13 years old. He came of age the day that he successfully started the B50 on his own (no run and bump, just the right amount of valve lift and kick). I learned about this about 20 years later when he admitted to having stolen the bike for a quick cruise up and down a country lane near by.
Back to top Go down
Ghost_rider
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Ghost_rider

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Speed Limits? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Limits?   Speed Limits? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 12:50 am

Out of the 25 years of riding i have
never had a speeding ticket. knock
knock o wood. Isn't that a song title
lol??? knock knock on wood.. 95%
of the time i do follow the posted
speed limitss and every once in a
while i do open it up to cleaan out
the jets. I do occassionaly ride with
other scooter riders that do ride
fast and i would rather ride about
60 or 65 it feels more comfortable
to me. IF i am riding alone and the
speed limit is 60 or higher and there is
no one behind me i will ride slower
to take in the scenary and stuff.
Heck i am in no hurry to get any
where by going to fast to my grave

Ghost rider Greg
Houston tx usa
04 swing with 26. 500 miles on it
clearview screen and e 52 topcase
led running light under the spoiler
running lights with the turn sigs
stabel air horn that is LOUD
buttrest made into a backrest
throttle rocker
ride safe all
Back to top Go down

Speed Limits? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Limits?   Speed Limits? I_icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 9:51 pm

I usually ride 10% over the speed limit on the Highway ,they say the silver wing speedo is out by 10% so I guess that puts me at the speed limit .In town I stay at the limit .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Speed Limits? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Limits?   Speed Limits? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Speed Limits?
Page 1 of 1