Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Those dang expensive leg deflectors I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 2:50 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Those dang expensive leg deflectors I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Those dang expensive leg deflectors I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Those dang expensive leg deflectors I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Those dang expensive leg deflectors I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Those dang expensive leg deflectors I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Those dang expensive leg deflectors I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Those dang expensive leg deflectors I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Those dang expensive leg deflectors I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Those dang expensive leg deflectors I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Those dang expensive leg deflectors

Go down 
+6
model28a
john123
Daboo
dspevack
matthew
craigory
10 posters
AuthorMessage
craigory
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
craigory

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2011-06-25

Those dang expensive leg deflectors Empty
PostSubject: Those dang expensive leg deflectors   Those dang expensive leg deflectors I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 8:13 pm

I am planning to buy a pair of leg deflectors for my SWing later this fall. As most of you already know, for some inexplicable reason they are not available in the US. I can order a set from Britain and it will cost me GBP105 plus GBP50 for shipping (probably includes customs). For us yanks that means about $245 dollars total. That is just so incredibly expensive for two small pieces of plexiglas. I have had a pair before and they definitely made a significant difference in the winter, but it just galls me to spend that much for them. I just don't want to pay so darn much. So...

Does anybody here in the US know a cheap way to get these? Do any of you Brit's know of any way to get a set cheaper? Is there a discount outlet for Honda parts where it might cost less, and where shipping to the US might cost less? I sure hope some of you guys have some ideas before I mortgage my house to get them.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Those dang expensive leg deflectors   Those dang expensive leg deflectors I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 9:44 pm

I understand that some folks have adapted some of these things and have been happy with the results: http://www.jcwhitney.com/jcwhitney/textsearch_result.jcw?sku=window+water+deflectors&shopid=100001&_requestid=7021250

Can't speak from my own experience. I agree. The price for the "official" things is ridiculous. I'm certain, without a doubt, that an "unofficial",
unorthodox alternative can be devised.

Good luck. Think outside the box.
Back to top Go down
craigory
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
craigory

PostSubject: Re: Those dang expensive leg deflectors   Those dang expensive leg deflectors I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 9:57 pm

That's a pretty intriguing thought. They look very similar to the Honda models. On JC Whitney they are all custom fit and you have to supply the make and model of your car. Not sure how I would match that up with the shape of our fairings. I might go to Pep Boys and see if they have any "generic" ones in stock to look at. Thanks for the idea!
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Those dang expensive leg deflectors   Those dang expensive leg deflectors I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 10:06 pm

Look thru this link. Lower Price from Chiswick
https://www.silverwing600.com/t3677-honda-leg-extensions-too-expensive

Save money by ordering two pairs and having them ship in the same box and it will effectively be free shipping on the second pair.

Also see if anyone else wants a pair. Maybe order several pairs and split shipping among all.

Dan
Back to top Go down
Daboo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Daboo

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2009-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Those dang expensive leg deflectors   Those dang expensive leg deflectors I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 9:51 am

Another thought besides the pricey leg deflectors from Honda, is to use the rear window visors from a car or truck. Others have done it in the past with their Burgmans with great results.

Those dang expensive leg deflectors Thumbnail.aspx?q=1187493785187&id=46153a4e0c56962055e0bc910fbbc8bf&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.auto-trim.com%2fimages%2fsuburbanventvisorslarge

While you can get some sets that are pretty pricey, I saw some visors being sold for $12.45 here. http://www.car-stuff.com/ventvisor.htm eBay also had some for a low price. You could probably go to a junk yard and find some there for a reasonable price that would look like new.

Chris
Back to top Go down
john123
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
john123

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2010-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Those dang expensive leg deflectors   Those dang expensive leg deflectors I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 10:22 am

I have been using a pair of hard rubber leg deflectors I bought on ebay since last year that work great. I found them on one of the very last pages and at the bottom of the page. I believe they only cost about $45.00

The first page had many beautiful color pictures of S/W showing Givi boxes I believe.
They are the thickness of a side wall of a motorcycle tire and fit under the rubber floor mat, using existing screws.
You can look at my pictures and see if that helps. If I find the receipt I will post here later.

Back to top Go down
craigory
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
craigory

PostSubject: Re: Those dang expensive leg deflectors   Those dang expensive leg deflectors I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 3:41 pm

Thanks Daboo and John. John, your suggestion definitely sounds easy to install, and I'll definitely have to give it some serious thought. Daboo, I am really confused about how one would know which model to buy, and how it is installed. Do you have to bend it to shape. Do you have any photos of an installation? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Daboo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Daboo

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2009-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Those dang expensive leg deflectors   Those dang expensive leg deflectors I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 5:03 pm

Craig, the posts I saw on BurgmanUSA were years ago; I don't know that I can find a picture to show you.

For the longest time, I too was confused. The reason you use the rear window visor is that is the length that will fit on that upper portion of the foot rest that slopes upward. If you get the proper length, you don't have to bend or cut anything. One end will taper just right to blend in at the top of your footrest, and the other end will taper to blend in at the bottom where the footrest turns horizontal.

For the Burgman, the people suggesting it were using a GMC 4-door cab truck. I think you'll find it easier to match up the proper length than you'd imagine. I was originally thinking you needed to match the bend in the front window to the curve on our footrests or floorboards. There was no way I could think of making that happen. Once I realized it is the straight rear visor you need, it all became much clearer.

The only reason I haven't done it is that it makes the front of the 400 look like a Burgman 650...and I like "svelte" more than "lardy". :D .

Chris
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Those dang expensive leg deflectors   Those dang expensive leg deflectors I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 5:09 pm

I seam to remember someone making them out of the black abs garden and sidewalk edging and they mounted under the floor mats ?
Back to top Go down
craigory
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
craigory

PostSubject: Re: Those dang expensive leg deflectors   Those dang expensive leg deflectors I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 8:43 pm

Daboo, you have enlightened me. Now it all makes sense. I kept thinking "there's no way to do that bend", but it turns out there is no bend to do. I'll start looking into those.

Roger, you should look at John123s post above. It sounds similar to what you are talking about.

All, another idea I had was to ask Clearview if they would be interested in adding these to their product line. I know for sure they could fabricate them, but I don't know if the volume would make it worth their while. If I get any response I'll let everybody know.
Back to top Go down
PHXScooterBill
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
PHXScooterBill

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2011-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Those dang expensive leg deflectors   Those dang expensive leg deflectors I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 12:52 am

The guy that sold them on ebay was the same maker of "Three Brothers Backrests". If you click on their webpage for it, you'll see "Item Not Found". A few months ago, I emailed him and he said he no longer regularly makes them (he used to for $59.98, but he said the price of materials has since doubled). He then said that he may be able to special make them for requests for $79.98 delivered, but I never got back to him.
Personally, I think his flat rubber leg shields are ugly, unless one paints them the way kjrman did as seen in his gallery pictures. The real Honda ones sold in the UK are far better looking as they curve inward & don't make the S-Wing look as fat.
But I too would be interested in which model truck window visor fits our Silverwings, and more importantly, specifics on exactly where you would attach or screw them onto the current floorboard.
Back to top Go down
Vealie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Vealie

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Those dang expensive leg deflectors   Those dang expensive leg deflectors I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 5:15 am

Craig pm for you.

Hi I'm new... Been riding a while and decided to get an old SW to take the strain off my other bike which was getting a few to many miles on it. I wish I'd had it years ago as it's been a treat. That cavern under the seat is dead handy, I'm sure I'll do a bit of touring on it as so comfy and easy to get along with.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3788
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Those dang expensive leg deflectors   Those dang expensive leg deflectors I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 5:33 am

I know for sure they could fabricate them, but I don't know if the volume would make it worth their while.

Presumably. that's the same reason the Honda ones are expensive. Wink

Last edited by MikeO on Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Those dang expensive leg deflectors 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Those dang expensive leg deflectors   Those dang expensive leg deflectors I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 8:22 am

Vealle, welcome to the forum. It would help you if you go to the "introductions" section and post about yourself and riding experiences and habits. That way people will be able to respond to your posts better. We're happy to have you here. welcome
Back to top Go down
john123
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
john123

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2010-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Those dang expensive leg deflectors   Those dang expensive leg deflectors I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 12:11 pm

The first ones that (Model28a) described, the ABS garden and sidewalk type, I did like at all and ended up throwing them away.

Scooter Bill is correct, it was the Three Brothers that were selling the hard rubber ones for $59.98 I bought a few years back and still use. I like the fact that it makes me look wider from the front and they work just fine. To bad they are not selling any longer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Those dang expensive leg deflectors   Those dang expensive leg deflectors I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Those dang expensive leg deflectors
Page 1 of 1