Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» It's that time of year again.
passenger backrest!! I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 6:48 am

» Silverwing 600 Owner
passenger backrest!! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:47 am

» I Need Help With The Brake Bleeding
passenger backrest!! I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Oct 20, 2024 4:57 pm

» New FPR, new vacuum pipes, still 22mpg
passenger backrest!! I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Oct 20, 2024 4:35 pm

» A strange howl
passenger backrest!! I_icon_minitimeby 53Scooterguy Sun Oct 20, 2024 11:56 am

» Tip For Bleeding Brakes
passenger backrest!! I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Oct 20, 2024 9:58 am

» Brake/Start Switch Availability
passenger backrest!! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Oct 19, 2024 7:31 am

» Passenger Back rest
passenger backrest!! I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Sat Oct 19, 2024 4:36 am

» OE Quality Drive Belt
passenger backrest!! I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Oct 16, 2024 1:11 pm

» Mini-Mate Camper
passenger backrest!! I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Wed Oct 16, 2024 7:17 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

passenger backrest!!

Go down 
+5
transam86
Waspie
MikeO
JeffR
honda_silver
9 posters
AuthorMessage

passenger backrest!! Empty
PostSubject: passenger backrest!!   passenger backrest!! I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 11:51 am

ok yall, i am looking for a passenger backrest,my daughter is 7 and loves to ride with me, i ordered the armrest for her but i am now thinking i am going to have to have the backrest as well,anyone know where a few sites are that i can look around,i am wanting something that is cheap!LOL if that even exist.. Rolling Eyes thank you all,and be safe while riding.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: passenger backrest!!   passenger backrest!! I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 12:55 pm

tpetrone wrote:
ok yall, i am looking for a passenger backrest,my daughter is 7 and loves to ride with me, i ordered the armrest for her but i am now thinking i am going to have to have the backrest as well,anyone know where a few sites are that i can look around,i am wanting something that is cheap!LOL if that even exist.. Rolling Eyes thank you all,and be safe while riding.

http://www.helmetheadcycle.com/product-id-2376.html#zoom

Givi TB-19 $71.10 with FREE SHIPPING.

I have the Givi TB-19 and it is very sturdy and there is no doubt to the mounting and/or strength of the backrest ... otherwise my wife and daughter would never have ridden.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2598
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: passenger backrest!!   passenger backrest!! I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 1:34 pm

I had the Givi passenger backrest but took it off when I put the top case on. Here is a pictorial I did when I installed this:

https://www.silverwing600.com/silver-wing-accessories-modifications-f5/givi-passenger-backrest-installation-pictorial-t31.htm

Also, all of the pictorials I have done are also on the www.scootertrap.com site too. Matt is able to include the .pdf files on his site. I am trying to figure out a way to do that here too. I may have to use a different file sharing site to do that. But it is very easy to do and the backrest is nice.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: passenger backrest!!   passenger backrest!! I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 1:38 pm

JeffR wrote:
I had the Givi passenger backrest but took it off when I put the top case on.

I have both the Givi TB-19 and E-52 installed together ... so you do not have to chose one or the other.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: passenger backrest!!   passenger backrest!! I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 1:44 pm

Jeffr,
do you still have it? and if so would you be interested in selling yours?
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2598
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: passenger backrest!!   passenger backrest!! I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 3:38 pm

tpetrone,

I didn't realize that both could be on at once. I will probably put it back on since it looks and functions better than the backrest on the top case.

Thanks for the info Bill.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: passenger backrest!!   passenger backrest!! I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 3:57 pm

JeffR wrote:
tpetrone,

I didn't realize that both could be on at once. I will probably put it back on
Oooooohhhhh affraid look what I started now.

I believe the GIVI TB-19 came two set sets of bolts, one shorter set and one longer set. You used the longer set to bolt both the TB-19 and SR-19 (front two holes) together. I chose to put TB-19 on the bottom touching the wing and the SR-19 on top ... one side effect I thought was the E-52 lid would not always stay open by itself depending on incline. I put on the E-96 (more weight) on the lid (the backrest on the lid would do the same) and the problem went away.

JeffR wrote:
since it looks and functions
better than the backrest on the top case.

I was wondering how both the TB-19 and the backrest on the top case would work together. My wife says not to worry about it, but anything I can do to make it more comfortable for her is always good. Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: passenger backrest!!   passenger backrest!! I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 4:35 pm

jeffr,
no prob hun, imma order one tomorrow,can't wait till i get it.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: passenger backrest!!   passenger backrest!! I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 1:49 pm

The Givi backrest and mounting plate for my Givi E52 topbox arrived today and thanks to JeffR's excellent pictorial I was able to fit them with absolutely no problems at all.
I did buy the correct size drill-bit in advance so even that didn't hold me up.

A thousand thanks, Jeff! cheers
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: passenger backrest!!   passenger backrest!! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 4:46 pm

Someone should be on commission, I ordered my Givi pillion backrest a few days ago. Hasn't been dispatched yet but I am encouraged by the posts regards the ease of fitting.

I'm not a mechanical inept but do worry about tinkering. By tinkering I mean drilling holes in virgin metal!!!!!!!

Hopefully it will rid Mrs Waspie of her doubts over the Silverwing. (She fell asleep on the Burgman stating it's comfort as the reason)
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: passenger backrest!!   passenger backrest!! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 4:51 pm

Honestly, Doug, it's a piece of cake.

The 'blanks' for the holes even guide the drill, making sure it goes straight.

I did drill pilot holes but with a brand new bit I don't think it was really necessary.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: passenger backrest!!   passenger backrest!! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 4:59 pm

Cheers Mike, how you finding the new steed?

Read your bit about the 'Ace' meeting.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: passenger backrest!!   passenger backrest!! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 6:41 pm

It's outstanding, Doug.

Inevitably there's a niggle or two but they're 'personal' and no fault of the bike.
I rode just over 520 miles this weekend, 120 in just under two hours to get home this evening.
The only negatives are that the standard screen is not quite tall enough - I knew it wouldn't be so I ordered a Laminar Lip on Thursday - and my right hand was feeling the strain for about the last half-hour before getting home. I shall order the cramp-buster thing that flips to one side that someone here's got.

Other than that, it's fabulous and much admired by even the Burger Men! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: passenger backrest!!   passenger backrest!! I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 9:32 am

Backrest arrived this morning, (around mid day in the UK).

Started dismantling the various bits at 1:35 and reassembled it by 2:05 complete with back rest.

I must thank all of you on here for putting my mind at ease about the simplicity of fitment. It was so easy. Mike you were so right - simples!

Mrs Waspie is extremely pleased and vows to try and not fall asleep on the wing!!! Ha! seeing will be believing.

Doug
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: passenger backrest!!   passenger backrest!! I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 3:55 pm

Excellent, Doug - glad Mrs.Waspie likes it.

I, too, don't like drilling holes in new things.
Fortunately, the Utopia holes have only to be made in plastic and are hidden so it doesn't matter too much.
Back to top Go down
transam86
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
transam86

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: back rest top box   passenger backrest!! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 8:41 am

I run both the at the same time my givi v 46 and my bolt on back reat and they dont interfear with eachother. Very close clearence between both when the box is opened but they dont touch
Back to top Go down
transam86
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
transam86

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: passenger backrest!!   passenger backrest!! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 8:47 am

I run the givi v 46 SR 19 and the tb 19 bolt on back rest . They dont interfear with eachother when I open the top box. Yes the clearence is close but theres no problem and its sutch a snap to do . They made this one as simple as 2 + 2 = 4 to install. Having a bolt on back rest to a bolted on metal part ( the grab rail ) it makes one ( a passenger ) feel so much more mentally safe knowing theres metal to metal supporting them if and when they lean back.
Back to top Go down
kdub
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
kdub

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-10-10

PostSubject: Re: passenger backrest!!   passenger backrest!! I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 6:04 pm

Hey gang I just got the Givi passenger backrest that I ordered; TB 19 I think is the model. I laid it out before installing and must say that I'm not too thrilled with how it will look when finished...the way it just sits atop the spolier doesn't doo it for me. Any way of making it look nicer and less "add on"?

thanks,
kenny
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: passenger backrest!!   passenger backrest!! I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 10:03 pm

kdub wrote:
Hey gang I just got the Givi passenger backrest that I ordered; TB 19 I think is the model. I laid it out before installing and must say that I'm not too thrilled with how it will look when finished...the way it just sits atop the spolier doesn't doo it for me. Any way of making it look nicer and less "add on"?

If have the Givi mounting bracket SR-19 for my E-52 on top of the TB-19.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: passenger backrest!!   passenger backrest!! I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 6:38 am

Kenny,

You have three options (as I see it) or four if you just choose to bite the bullet and install it as it is. All options other than just install it will add to the cost of the install

Option 1 - purchase stainless steel chromed fender bolts for the install so that the bolts look a bit more finished. You could also chrome, paint, or powder coat the TB-19 mount to add a bit more of a finished look.

Option 2 - As the above posters have done, you add a top box to the mix. The SR-19 mount covers the TB-19 so it looks a bit more finished. I do not ride around with my top box on a daily basis and I personally think the SR-19 looks a bit odd on its own so the finished look issue is in the eye of the viewer. With the box on it looks okay.

Option 3 - Get a Corbin seat with a backrest for the pillion (passenger).

Isn't owning a motorbike fun?
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
kdub
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
kdub

PostSubject: Re: passenger backrest!!   passenger backrest!! I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 9:13 am

Bill, Dale thanks for replying,

Those are pretty good suggestions. After checking out the Corbin websit, I must say that I definitely liked the Corbin setup better...but over $700 for the combo was little passenger backrest!! Affraid for me. Maybe I'll sit tight over the winter, set some cash aside and perhaps go for it in the spring.

Thanks again
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: passenger backrest!!   passenger backrest!! I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 9:52 am

Hi Kenny,

Here's a picture on a Harrison Specialties backrest on a Corbin Saddle.

passenger backrest!! Arm_re34
passenger backrest!! Arm_re35
passenger backrest!! Arm_re36

I works well and is just a fraction of the cost of a Corbin backrest and are fully adjustable.

Thread: http://www.harrisonspecialtiesstore.com/servlet/the-Motorcycle-Backrests-cln-Fits-Corbin-Seat/Categories

Sorry but arm rest are not part of back rest.

DennisB
Back to top Go down
kdub
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
kdub

PostSubject: Re: passenger backrest!!   passenger backrest!! I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 10:09 am

Hi Dennis,

That's a pretty nice one too. Do you know whether Harrison make it for the stock seat? AND where did you get the awsome arm rests?
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: passenger backrest!!   passenger backrest!! I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 10:44 am

Hi Kenny,

Sorry, but this back rest only fits the Corbin Seat's 5/8" Sq. back rest hole.

I make the arm rest kit. Glad you like them. Here's another picture from Pete's Silverwing located in SC.

passenger backrest!! Pete_s10

passenger backrest!! Pete_s11

DennisB
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: passenger backrest!!   passenger backrest!! I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 8:54 pm

DennisB,

I forgot about your arm rests! Glad you mentioned them.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
kdub
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
kdub

PostSubject: Re: passenger backrest!!   passenger backrest!! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 7:49 am

Dennis,

Those arms are really cool. Once I figure out my passenger rest I'll probably order a set. What do you charge?.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: passenger backrest!!   passenger backrest!! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 8:33 am

Hi Kenny,

The Arm Rest Kit is $290.00 with free shipping to the continental U.S. They are worth their weight in gold if your a passenger on a long trip.

DennisB
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: passenger backrest!!   passenger backrest!! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 9:05 am

Just got home from a 1300 mile ride and Wife couldn't have made it without the armrests. Great mod for a very fair price. IF you ride 2 up you will be glad to have the rests.

Anything Dennis builds is top notch. Armrests, Flag mount, GPS mount, Light bar are the items I have of his. All add something special to your swing. Nothing gaudy, just classy items. Save up a little money and purchase what ever you need from him.

BYW I get no commission for pitching his stuff. I just know quality when I see it. Dennis is quality.

Gary
Back to top Go down
kdub
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
kdub

PostSubject: Re: passenger backrest!!   passenger backrest!! I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2009 6:36 pm

Hey,

Thanks a lot guys. This definitely helps my decision.
Back to top Go down

passenger backrest!!
Page 1 of 1