Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» It's that time of year again.
Add ons for a newbie I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 6:48 am

» Silverwing 600 Owner
Add ons for a newbie I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:47 am

» I Need Help With The Brake Bleeding
Add ons for a newbie I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Oct 20, 2024 4:57 pm

» New FPR, new vacuum pipes, still 22mpg
Add ons for a newbie I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Oct 20, 2024 4:35 pm

» A strange howl
Add ons for a newbie I_icon_minitimeby 53Scooterguy Sun Oct 20, 2024 11:56 am

» Tip For Bleeding Brakes
Add ons for a newbie I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Oct 20, 2024 9:58 am

» Brake/Start Switch Availability
Add ons for a newbie I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Oct 19, 2024 7:31 am

» Passenger Back rest
Add ons for a newbie I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Sat Oct 19, 2024 4:36 am

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Add ons for a newbie I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Oct 16, 2024 1:11 pm

» Mini-Mate Camper
Add ons for a newbie I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Wed Oct 16, 2024 7:17 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Add ons for a newbie

Go down 
+3
bigbird
GaryL
Gar Gentry
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Gar Gentry
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Gar Gentry

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2011-06-05

Add ons for a newbie Empty
PostSubject: Add ons for a newbie   Add ons for a newbie I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 7:11 pm

Since joining our forum in May of this year, I have added several features to my '10 Swing, nothing original but am happy with all of them. Haven't tried any performance mods yet but am trying to understand more about pins, rollers and sliders and how they are used with any given variator. Overall stock performance is good but I would like a little more pep from a dead stop.
So far the add-ons look like this:
Givi E55 w/lights, DennisB driving lights and perfect connector, Knight Rider LED's, Vista Cruise, Power outlet, Backrest extension, Garmin GPS w/DennisB bracket and Ram mount, Tunnel bag (transferred from the back rack of my former Road King).
Thanks to all you teachers out there for helping the newbies like me come up to speed. (And Dennis, you run a great shop!)
Gar
motorcycle

Back to top Go down
http://gentry.hugh@gmail.com
GaryL
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GaryL

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Add ons for a newbie   Add ons for a newbie I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 7:52 pm

applause
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Add ons for a newbie   Add ons for a newbie I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 9:03 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gar Gentry
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Gar Gentry

PostSubject: Re: Add ons for a newbie   Add ons for a newbie I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 12:09 am

bigbird: Thanks, I understand better now that I have seen the videos.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Add ons for a newbie   Add ons for a newbie I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 8:35 am

A couple of people who used the J. Costa worn a groove into the variator faces ... which caused them to either replace or grind the groove. The root cause of the problem has not been identified.

Another person had their J. Costa pins which were not old ( and way before their normal range ) fall out/turn sideways ... as I recall causing quite a bit of damage. The root cause of the problem has not been identified.

The availability of J. Costa parts has been limited with the loss of ScooterTrap. I believe they have to have the parts shipped internationally now.

There a lot more people using the J. Costa, then these few failures I mentioned ... so I am not sure how to access the risk.

To my knowledge not a single problem has been reported with the Dr Pulley Slider Weights. A lot of people are experimenting with different weight.

The Dr Pulley HIT clutch has been around, though not extensively used. I believe the concept of a clutch locking at a certain rate to provide direct power has been around for a while.

Others have experimented with spring weights to change the clutch characteristics.

Back to top Go down
Gar Gentry
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Gar Gentry

PostSubject: Re: Add ons for a newbie   Add ons for a newbie I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 2:16 pm

Bill-After reading your comments today I went back and read some old threads on the subject of sliders, etc. It's making more sense to me now. I believe you're right about Scooter Trap closing its doors. MattC posted on another forum that he is closed, citing lousy economy and a general lack of scooter culture here in the U.S. My first accessory was the Givi box from him just 2 months ago. So, are you pleased with the Dr Pulley sliders and where can I order them now?
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Add ons for a newbie   Add ons for a newbie I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 2:37 pm

Gar Gentry wrote:
So, are you pleased with the Dr Pulley sliders and where can I order them now?

I will always be running with a Dr Pulley Sliders ( though may try different weights) ... right now running 31g. I am thinking of trying 28g next.

http://www.buggypartsnw.com/home?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=386&category_id=42
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Add ons for a newbie   Add ons for a newbie I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 9:32 pm

I came across a link to the Dr Pulley website (not Buggy Parts) while perusing the 'Net one evening last week. There is a notice posted that they are moving their facilities from Taiwan to Germany and will not be fulfilling any shipments until early September. This means that, if Buggy Parts NW does not have your size/weight in stock, they will not be able to get them for you until September.

I ordered two sets (10 gram and 11 gram) for my Vespa GTS from BPNW, with the understanding that he could not assure me of prompt delivery. He said he could order my 11 gram sliders to an existing order, and he would probably get them in several weeks. He made no mention of Dr Pulley not being able to send anything until Sept. I found out about the move to Germany several days later, but cannot find the 11g sliders anywhere else, so I am keeping my order in place.

I have not tried the 10g weights in the Vespa yet, so I cannot comment on performance. Too hot to bother, plus I just found out my rear tire has a slash in it from side to side. I don't want to change out the variator weights until I can test each arrangement (current, new stock weights, Dr Pulleys) by GPS. Until I get a fresh set of tires, I'm keeping it slow. (If I lift the slashed part of the tread, I can see cords underneath!)

Everything I've read about Dr Pulley sliders has been positive. If I did not have the J Costa already, I would probably go with Dr Pulley sliders on the Silverwing. The 31g and 28g weights mentioned earlier are for folks really looking for MAXIMUM mpg. For an increase in performance, consider 26g or 24g sliders. Some folks have tried 21g sliders, but it revs too high.

Let us know what you do and how it works out. Glad you could join the group.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Add ons for a newbie   Add ons for a newbie I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 11:11 pm

x

Back to top Go down
Gar Gentry
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Gar Gentry

PostSubject: Re: Add ons for a newbie   Add ons for a newbie I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 11:53 pm

Bill, I'm checking your suggested websites for Dr Pulley sliders. Will also look at unionmaterials.
Philip, thanks for the heads up (Taiwan to Germany).
I think I've decided to try the 26g sliders. I have a friend here in town with a ruckus, a buddy and 2 vespas, all performance upgraded to the max-engine, exhaust, fuel, electronics, all drive components. I don't have that level of knowledge so I'll start simple and work my way up.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Add ons for a newbie   Add ons for a newbie I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 1:18 am

x

Back to top Go down
Gar Gentry
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Gar Gentry

PostSubject: Re: Add ons for a newbie   Add ons for a newbie I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 9:14 am

After contacting unionmaterial about sliders, they referred me back to buggyparts who says their product is in stock. Ordered the 26g Dr Pulley sliders just now. Will post results. Thanks to all for your help!
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Add ons for a newbie   Add ons for a newbie I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 10:43 am

x

Back to top Go down
Gar Gentry
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Gar Gentry

PostSubject: Re: Add ons for a newbie   Add ons for a newbie I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 7:44 pm

Hey guys,
Just received my Dr Pulley 26g sliders today from BuggyParts. Not bad for regular mail since ordering on Friday. Thought I would post this now in case anyone is considering placing an order at this time. Price $54.95 plus $5.00 shipping. Think I'll order the variator tool from Honda tomorrow so I can do the installation and stow it on board with a spare belt in case of emergency (which I've never had with a belt drive). Hopefully, with all the pictorals available, this will be an easy job! Will give a seat of the pants review after testing.
Back to top Go down
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Add ons for a newbie   Add ons for a newbie I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 11:14 pm

The pins in the official Honda tool are to short which in some cases requires another hand to keep pressure holding the tool tight against the face of the variator.

Go to the hardware store with this list and make your own tool.

http://www.leroybeal.net/motorcycles/silverwing/articles/drivepulleytool/VPT.pdf

The one I made is about six years old, show no sign of ware and has been used on a Burgman, Reflex and the Swing several times. I substituted 1” x ¼” instead of ¾” x ¼” cold rolled only because I had some.

BTW, I never had to replace the belt while out and about, did the belt ever break on your R.K.?

Add ons for a newbie Picture

Last edited by trouble1100 on Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:52 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Add ons for a newbie   Add ons for a newbie I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 12:42 am

x

Back to top Go down
Gar Gentry
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Gar Gentry

PostSubject: Re: Add ons for a newbie   Add ons for a newbie I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 9:33 am

trouble1100 wrote:
BTW, I never had to replace the belt while out and about, did the belt ever break on your R.K.?

No, but some of the H-D riders in my group did. Made me a little paranoid since belt replacement required dropping the swing arm. Not a roadside repair.

Thanks for the LeRoy Beal suggestion. That's what I'm gonna do.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Add ons for a newbie   Add ons for a newbie I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 11:20 am

Gar Gentry wrote:
Made me a little paranoid since belt replacement required dropping the swing arm. Not a roadside repair.

The Silverwing belt replacement does not require dropping the swing arm. The belt is on the opposite side and requires removing the black casing and the nut and outside variator face.
Back to top Go down
Gar Gentry
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Gar Gentry

PostSubject: Re: Add ons for a newbie   Add ons for a newbie I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 11:29 am

Bill,
I was assuming that trouble1100 was talking about my former Harley Davidson Road King. Guess my shorthand conversation was a little confusing.
Thanks,
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Add ons for a newbie   Add ons for a newbie I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 10:01 pm

I bought the Honda variator tool and the pins are much too short like someone said on an earlier post. I bought a $40 electric impact wrench, that has 90 ftlbs of torque, which is perfect really. You need to put 78 ft lbs of torque on the bolt so it works great. I don't even use a variator tool now.

I had the J. Costa and never had any trouble with it but since I was putting 10,000 miles a year on mine I had to change the pins every 9,000 miles. The sliders for me are great.
Back to top Go down
Gar Gentry
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Gar Gentry

PostSubject: Re: Add ons for a newbie   Add ons for a newbie I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 8:10 am

Great! I needed to know about the torque requirement (you said 78 ft/lbs) for the variator bolt. The more postings I read, the happier I am to start my performance mods with sliders. I'll also look around locally for an electric impact wrench. Might save some barked knuckles. Thanks.
Back to top Go down

Add ons for a newbie
Page 1 of 1