Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Scotland trip I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Scotland trip I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Scotland trip I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Scotland trip I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Scotland trip I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Scotland trip I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Scotland trip I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Scotland trip I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Scotland trip I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Scotland trip I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Scotland trip

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
steveR
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
steveR

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2011-03-23

Scotland trip Empty
PostSubject: Scotland trip   Scotland trip I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 7:53 am

Just got back from a 3 day/2 night trip to Scotland on the Swing, 1100miles in total and a marathon session yesterday (Saturday) leaving the most westerly point on mainland Britain at 11am, (Lighthouse on Ardnamurchan) riding back to Fort Bill via Killane, lunch at Morrisons with the guys from the Honda XRV forum I had met up with, then a road trip via Oban round the coast past Inverary, then to Glasgow, then point the "bus" South and let her have it..

Boy does it slurp fuel at.. er... higher speeds!! Worst was 100 miles and 12.5litres!! The comfort was not in doubt, with an airhawk fitted and a crampbuster, it was the tank capacity that lets it down in my opinion.

I was impressed at the handling, fully laden, on the twisties, keeping up easily with bigger kit. The Pirellis are good, no doubt about it, pity about the front sussies on the scoot.

If the weather was not so dire, i would have hung on for another 24 hrs, but decided to cut and run and beat the next bout of torrential rain that was forecast! Smile

One point guys... Has anyone else noticed a smell of smoked rubber after prolonged highspeed work followed by some urban roads? I got of the M6 for fuel near Wigan, asked directions for a garage and the bike reeked. I started to worry that I had fried the belt, as I could still smell it when I was back on the M6, and tried to keep below 75* then. The smell went and speeds crept back up, and the smell did not return Smile

*Indicated speed of course....Wink

Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Scotland trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scotland trip   Scotland trip I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 2:11 pm

The only time I smelled burnt rubber from the Swing was after I'd got stuck in the mud, and had to rev and rev the engine, probably straining the transmission, and no doubt the belt, and had the entire front fender caked hard with mud so the front wheel wouldn't turn by hand at all. All that added up to a smoking tranny/belt case, and the smell, of course.

Never experienced it before or since, and the cause that one time was very clear.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Scotland trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scotland trip   Scotland trip I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 4:52 pm

steveR wrote:
One point guys... Has anyone else noticed a smell of smoked rubber after prolonged highspeed work followed by some urban roads? I got of the M6 for fuel near Wigan, asked directions for a garage and the bike reeked. I started to worry that I had fried the belt, as I could still smell it when I was back on the M6, and tried to keep below 75* then. The smell went and speeds crept back up, and the smell did not return Smile

*Indicated speed of course....Wink

I get the burnt rubber smell frequently. First time I worried now I just accept it. If you feel you tyre you will find it is a wee bit warm!!!! Twisted Evil Bi-product of pushing the envelope!!

How a the roads in Jock land. They used to be better than England but it's been a long time since I travelled the shore lines of Loch Lomond and the ilk.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
steveR
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
steveR

Scotland trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scotland trip   Scotland trip I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 6:29 pm

Waspie wrote:

I get the burnt rubber smell frequently. First time I worried now I just accept it. If you feel you tyre you will find it is a wee bit warm!!!! Twisted Evil Bi-product of pushing the envelope!!

How a the roads in Jock land. They used to be better than England but it's been a long time since I travelled the shore lines of Loch Lomond and the ilk.

That is .... reassuring. The tyres were OK, with the amount of rain on the road, they were way cool!!

Roads were brilliant, a real gas. In the words of Arnie, "I'll be back!" The single track road for 30 odd miles across Ardnamurchan was something else!

Nice story was on the way off Ardna, we stopped about 15-20 miles along the way, the guy in the big green van that had stuck on our tail most of the way pulled over, exchanged Hello's and he said thanks for the fast journey across, we were essentially running as outriders for him! Smile
Back to top Go down
steveR
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
steveR

Scotland trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scotland trip   Scotland trip I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 6:30 pm

matthew wrote:

Never experienced it before or since, and the cause that one time was very clear.

VERY clear Smile I am not sure the Swing is really an off road tool Matthew.... Me, I like a wee bit more ground clearance Wink
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Scotland trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scotland trip   Scotland trip I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 6:41 pm

steveR wrote:
Roads were brilliant, a real gas. In the words of Arnie, "I'll be back!" The single track road for 30 odd miles across Ardnamurchan was something else!

You mean roads like this!!!

Scotland trip Passingplace0001

That was the last time I use the single track roads up round there!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

Scotland trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scotland trip   Scotland trip I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 12:31 pm

I assume you had pulled in to let a kid on a push-scooter squeeze passed you?

Why did you ever change that beast for a Silverwing?

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
steveR
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
steveR

Scotland trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scotland trip   Scotland trip I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 3:13 am

Waspie wrote:

You mean roads like this!!!

That was the last time I use the single track roads up round there!!!!!!!!!

Not sure they were even that wide! Smile

Amazing pic..
Back to top Go down
steveR
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
steveR

Scotland trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scotland trip   Scotland trip I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 3:14 am

tarmacburner2 wrote:
I assume you had pulled in to let a kid on a push-scooter squeeze passed you?

Why did you ever change that beast for a Silverwing?

Cheers,

Better MPG??? Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Scotland trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scotland trip   Scotland trip I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Scotland trip
Page 1 of 1