Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Just to say Bonjour I_icon_minitimeby Mighty Mouse Today at 4:47 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Just to say Bonjour I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Just to say Bonjour I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Just to say Bonjour I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Just to say Bonjour I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Just to say Bonjour I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Just to say Bonjour I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Just to say Bonjour I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Just to say Bonjour I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Just to say Bonjour I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Just to say Bonjour

Go down 
+6
kbcmdba
DickO
bob wells
Lab Rat
Waspie
talesin
10 posters
AuthorMessage
talesin
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-07-16

Just to say Bonjour Empty
PostSubject: Just to say Bonjour   Just to say Bonjour I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 6:49 pm

I have done 50k km on my Silverwing 600. I am in the South of France it is Tmax country, they sold few Silverwings here until the 400 came out. I have not done any mods but use her for work, rest an play - touring Corsica on her was a joy. I have her serviced regularly but now more major work needs doing. I have been searching this forum in particular as it seems to have genuine enthusiasts and I need some help.

I have just had the belt changed and now standing starts I get the squeal also when taking a slow bend up hill. After long runs she is better but as I use her all the time the noise grates and it can not be doing any good. The garage tells me it is not glazing but wear on the variator and not to worry but I am not convinced.

After reading some posts here is seems the dr pully sliders are a good move for increased performance but would that counter the squeal?

And the j.costa variator has good performance but increases wear on the belt.

So my question is to counter the wear and squeal, do I change the sliders, change the variator or something else altogether like clutch.

As they do not sell many Silverwings here finding a garage with the experience in fixing and troubleshooting is not so easy.

Thanks in advance
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Just to say Bonjour   Just to say Bonjour I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 6:57 pm

Welcome Talesin, can't help you with the squeal problem or advice. We do have many techie minded folk who will be able to point you in the correct direction.

In the mean time, have a browse around, I'm sure a few of your questions will be answered somewhere.

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Lab Rat
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Lab Rat

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2011-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Just to say Bonjour   Just to say Bonjour I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 7:13 pm

Bonjour! Like Waspie, I can't specifically help you with any of your questions. I installed Dr. Pulley 24g sliders, but that was just an upgrade during the course of routine maintenance. I don't have any experience with the squeal, other than what I've read here on the forum.

I just wanted to say that France is absolutely beautiful. I watch the Tour de France every year, and the aerial footage is stunning! The race is a pretty good show as well. Wink

Very much impressed with the riding that Thomas Voeckler is doing. Well done! I don't know that he can hold on through the Alps, but he's riding with the heart of a champion.

Welcome to the forums as well!
Back to top Go down
bob wells
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
bob wells

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2011-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Just to say Bonjour   Just to say Bonjour I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 10:23 pm

I would love to see The Tour live!

Bob
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Just to say Bonjour   Just to say Bonjour I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 12:02 am

Hey "talesin",
Welcome to the site. I'm not one of the "guru's" but I searched this from one of JeffR's(site admin) posts to "The D":

This happens when the clutch gets glazed over, usually by slow stop and go traffic, or just always taking off from a stop really slow. To get rid of this you can hold in one of the brakes and rev it up to 4,000 rpms for about 4-5 seconds. You will get a slight burning smell but this will take away the squeal. My SWing is 4 years old and I do this a few times a year or so. It will also smooth it out too.

If you don't want to do this then just do some fast accelerations from a stop and don't take off slowly anymore. See if it works.

Hope this helps!

Back to top Go down
kbcmdba
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
kbcmdba

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2011-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Just to say Bonjour   Just to say Bonjour I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 4:18 am

Bonjour, talesin. Comment ca vas? Yes - your mechanic is right that the squeal coming from the drive belt is common/normal at low speeds powering up gently. My bike doesn't do that much when the transmission is very cool or after long rides though the more I "take it easy" with the throttle, the faster the noise comes back.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new (to you) bike. Feel free to post questions or just hang out as much as you'd like.

KB
Back to top Go down
http://kbcmdba.blogspot.com/
talesin
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Just to say Bonjour   Just to say Bonjour I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 6:00 am

Ca va bien merci,

Thanks for all the input much appreciated - I have had the scooter from new. She was near to silent before changing the belt at 50k. I have had glazing in the past and burning it off worked - it is clean now so it must be wear. I will keep digging around for information on variator wear, problem is every time she squeals I grind my teeth. A new variator may be cheaper than dental bills.

Also not far from Italy the land of "Ciao Bella" very hard to keep up the image when you take off and the bike sounds like a bag of rusty ball bearings in a meat grinder. Smile
Back to top Go down
Lab Rat
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Lab Rat

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2011-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Just to say Bonjour   Just to say Bonjour I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 3:48 pm

bob wells wrote:

Bob

That would be a blast! Rent an RV and just follow it each day. The mountain stages look like quite a party! drunken
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Just to say Bonjour   Just to say Bonjour I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 6:53 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
talesin
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Just to say Bonjour   Just to say Bonjour I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 2:04 am

Hi Terry,

Je n'ai pas dit que c'était une pièce du merde. When scanning the forums here I saw a thread stating there was more belt wear, if that was contradicted later on then I am sorry I did not see it. From scanning forums I understand the j.costa variator adds to the performance of the scooter X times and other mods have similar effects. The bike is my main form of transport and after 50k km it is going to have some wear so I will need to replace parts. My aim is to stop the squeal so I don't grind my teeth. I understand the Dr. Pulley sliding roller weight can reduce the revs for certain speeds therefore reduce fuel consumption which would be a huge bonus we are at 1.6 Euro a litre at the moment and it is only going up. I was going for (under advice) 28g - the additional weight may help reduce the slip. I need the casing off to understand this wear better.

If there is wear on the clutch I understand the Dr Pulley HiT clutch is an option worth considering, less slip less wasted power from the engine.

I am on the forum to benefit of others experience. As the bike gets older I will need to take more on board. I am a technician but a different discipline so I am just confirming there is a support infrastructure in place for any modifications I do Smile. And I will feed back any results I get here as objectively as I can.

Thanks for all the input to date it all helps
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Just to say Bonjour   Just to say Bonjour I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 10:06 am

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
steveR
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
steveR

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2011-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Just to say Bonjour   Just to say Bonjour I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 6:03 pm

Lab Rat wrote:
bob wells wrote:

Bob

That would be a blast! Rent an RV and just follow it each day. The mountain stages look like quite a party! drunken

Real men wild camp!! Smile It's been a long held ambition to spend a week following the Tour, probably some of the Pyrenees stages as they are that bit more wild and rugged,and that's just the locals... Smile
Back to top Go down
bob wells
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
bob wells

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2011-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Just to say Bonjour   Just to say Bonjour I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 3:00 pm

Lab Rat wrote:
bob wells wrote:

Bob

Sure are alot of Okies here. I was born and raised in Norman. So it is okay to say Okie. Laughing

Bob
Back to top Go down
kbcmdba
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
kbcmdba

PostSubject: Re: Just to say Bonjour   Just to say Bonjour I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 11:35 am

Laughing

I went to flight school in Norman back in '94... :-)
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Just to say Bonjour   Just to say Bonjour I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 1:13 pm

kbcmdba wrote:
Laughing

I went to flight school in Norman back in '94... :-)

What does this have to do with France???? :flower:
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
kbcmdba
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
kbcmdba

PostSubject: Re: Just to say Bonjour   Just to say Bonjour I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 8:51 pm

joncallihan wrote:
What does this have to do with France???? :flower:

Je ne sais pas. He was talking about Norman Oklahoma. :-)

KB
Back to top Go down
talesin
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Just to say Bonjour   Just to say Bonjour I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 4:45 pm

Just to wrap this up did a mod, installed Dr Pulley 28gr sliders and a Dr Pulley HiT Clutch. Different bike, no rattle, no squeal, smooth acceleration greater top speed just doing some fuel consumption figures and then will do a fresh post. Thanks for all the support been a journey but worth while.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Just to say Bonjour   Just to say Bonjour I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 5:46 pm

x

Back to top Go down
talesin
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Just to say Bonjour   Just to say Bonjour I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 6:26 am

Nope I used my garage that has been servicing the bike. I know I have just lost any street cred that I may of been building up but there you have it. The Clutch came with 12.5 kg Red clutch and 20 kg Pillow, we installed as is. For a bike that had a tired stock clutch it was a hell of a transformation. Much quicker acceleration and positive response, I had lost the "rattle" and "squeal". Problem - (apart from opening out the throttle at any opportune time, kind of addictive like a new toy) was that on take off there was a "heavy judder" that happened 2-3 times then full engagement also from cold there was an almost metallic "chink" as the clutch engaged initially. This was solved by putting in 12kg blue clutch springs - I also swapped out the pillow for the 12.5 kg red which in hindsight was a mistake. We lost the heavy judder but also the +ve engagement at the top end, it acted like the stock clutch used to with a little vibration on a hard take off. This was fixed buy putting the 20kg yellow pillow spring back. So all it will take is for Wales to win the rugby world cup and life would be perfect Smile
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Just to say Bonjour   Just to say Bonjour I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 10:23 am

x

Back to top Go down
tubeck
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2011-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Just to say Bonjour   Just to say Bonjour I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 11:29 am

I noticed the
Tour De France had a large presence of scooters helping control the race.
Good for them!
Back to top Go down
talesin
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Just to say Bonjour   Just to say Bonjour I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 12:09 pm

The mechanic was very impressed and if you mull it over conceptually it is a neat idea. The problem with a standard clutch spring is it will extent and engage once. The HiT Clutch gets around that by splitting the spring function in 2. A weaker spring to start with so it engages (problem no strong force) sooner and a heavier spring to follow to provide that strong grip force. By just using a heavier single spring the clutch would engage much later. I am not qualified enough or can I give enough quantifiable information and also I changed the the stock rollers for Pulley sliders at the same time so the results I have are a combined effect. There is a slight drop in revs for the speeds on the motorway, acceleration is much better and you can feel the constant engagement. I will post some fuel consumption figures over the next week or two. Would I recommend the HiT clutch even though the spring tuning is a PITA yes I would - even better if you have some one to do it for you. Putting the clutch on the first time took him 45 mins the pain being the main spring. Subsequent tuning was much faster as that did not need to be removed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just to say Bonjour   Just to say Bonjour I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Just to say Bonjour
Page 1 of 1