Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Stock Air Box I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» New member from Europe
Stock Air Box I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Stock Air Box I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Stock Air Box I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Stock Air Box I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Stock Air Box I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Stock Air Box I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Stock Air Box I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Stock Air Box I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Stock Air Box I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Stock Air Box

Go down 
+5
eddy
Opalsboy
bigbird
john grinsel
ThePPH
9 posters
AuthorMessage
ThePPH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Stock Air Box Empty
PostSubject: Stock Air Box   Stock Air Box I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 4:59 pm

I'm looking at the pictorial for changing out the air filter on our Silverwing and I cannot help but notice the strangeness of the location for this air intake in the first place. From the appearances it is hard to tell where the air is being pulled from. It also appears that the box is very restrictive no matter which filter element you should choose. I should have the new K&N filter by tomorrow when I get off of work and I plan to swap out the stock filter immediately. My bike has just hit 26,000 miles and it is a 2004 so it will be interesting to see if the filter is stock or has been changed out previously. The most important thing I would like to do is make certain that I provide a better source of air to the inlet from a source that is not affected by engine heat in any way. I put cold air intake systems on every vehicle that I own due to the fact that I live in Arizona. I have always noticed that Hondas are very touchy when it comes to high intake air temperature so anything that can be done to reduce the air temperature. I have read where folks have drilled some extra holes to improve air flow but I am wondering ahead of this job if there might be a way to plumb or modify an outside air source to direct ambient air into the intake assembly a little better. Ideally the creation of a lengthened intake tube with conical shaped filter in a strategically placed located would be best but this seems nearly impossible given the stock location of the existing filter box and intake tube.

Has there been anyone out there to develop anything to improve upon Honda's design or is this even possible given the way this scooter is pieced together?

I'm going into this particular modification with an appetite for improvement so if I can see anything before I get any comments back I will look at working out an improvement on my own or with the help of some local fabrication shops here in the Phoenix/North Scottsdale area.

Thank you,
Scott
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Stock Air Box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stock Air Box   Stock Air Box I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 5:06 pm

My take...pretty hard to outthink Honda. Filter is hard to get at. But it works.

K & N Filter ok as it is re-useable, when properly cleaned and not over oiled. I would first check on price stock vs K&N.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Stock Air Box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stock Air Box   Stock Air Box I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 7:30 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Stock Air Box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stock Air Box   Stock Air Box I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 12:01 am

Just a little note to note... I believe there is an extra bolt/screw that will be left over if you go to the K&N. Not sure why. But that is the best recollection I have.
Back to top Go down
eddy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Stock Air Box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stock Air Box   Stock Air Box I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 1:27 am

Be careful with a self made conical inlet.

When pointing to the front , there can be a overpressure.
When to the rear maybe a vacuum.

I can't tell , the fuel regulator system can deal with that.

Eddy
Back to top Go down
http://edho@operamail.com
Mudnman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2014-01-15

Stock Air Box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stock Air Box   Stock Air Box I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 16, 2014 10:08 pm

Opalsboy wrote:
Just a little note to note...  I believe there is an extra bolt/screw that will be left over if you go to the K&N.  Not sure why.  But that is the best recollection I have.

Just bought an 08 that has a k&n sticker under the seat.I found a bolt the size of a big cigarette butt by the fuse box under seat.Making me wonder if this is the bolt your talking about. study 
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Stock Air Box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stock Air Box   Stock Air Box I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 16, 2014 10:26 pm

I would take that K & N filter and replace it with a stock Honda paper element air cleaner. I ran a K & N for 2 seasons in my Swing, and have concluded that K & N is mostly advertising hype accompanied by very little filtering. Sure, they're cheap to maintain once you buy it along with the cleaner and re-oiler kit, but they really aren't very effective in keeping the smallest particulate matter out of the engine. And yes, a K & N doesn't allow the centre bolt from the stock air filter to be reinstalled when you add a K & N.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Stock Air Box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stock Air Box   Stock Air Box I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 17, 2014 8:34 am

Air filters is a subjective item like oil or oil filters. People get VERY passionate about these things. I installed a K&N in my SW not for more MPG, not for more HP but simply because mother Honda makes the filter such a PAIN to get at that I wanted extended clean intervals. My Gold Wing will get one also because it is EVEN worse to get to LOL.

That said I have used K&N filters for years and have never had a problem; and on my cars and trucks I usually clean them at about 30-35K intervals.

So use what YOU want and be happy!
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

Stock Air Box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stock Air Box   Stock Air Box I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 17, 2014 11:56 am

I drilled the box and now regret it due to noise and mpg loss.so holes are taped up
Back to top Go down
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2010-04-30

Stock Air Box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stock Air Box   Stock Air Box I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 17, 2014 1:20 pm

GHM-PM wrote:
Honda makes the filter such a PAIN to get at that I wanted extended clean intervals.  My Gold Wing will get one also because it is EVEN worse to get to LOL.

When you replace your old filter use the stainless screen that is part of the element to mouse proof the snorkel to the air box. Those little ba$tards can and will build a nest in the most inconvenient places. The pictures are from our old Goldwing that had a problem idling after the winter hibernation. I did the same to the snorkel on our 06 Silverwing.  

Stock Air Box Img_0610

Stock Air Box Img_0611

Stock Air Box Img_0612
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Stock Air Box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stock Air Box   Stock Air Box I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stock Air Box
Page 1 of 1