Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Goodbye guys
foot pegs?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 10:58 pm

» LF extended back rest
foot pegs?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 4:29 pm

» noise under load
foot pegs?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Sat May 18, 2024 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
foot pegs?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Sat May 18, 2024 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
foot pegs?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
foot pegs?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
foot pegs?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
foot pegs?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
foot pegs?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
foot pegs?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

foot pegs??

Go down 
+21
tinman
tarmacburner2
john123
Meldrew
johnd
matthew
exavid
jimjotel
misterroy2
MikeH
transam86
dspevack
honda_silver
mr fish
Opalsboy
JeffR
Haskell
dickie
jdeereanton
joncallihan
DennisB
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

foot pegs?? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: foot pegs??   foot pegs?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 10:22 am

First topic message reminder :

anyone ever added foot pegs on your silverwings? i think some chrome ones would look awesome,but never seen any.i have a 2008 silverwing,and i love it!i ride with hubby on his burgman all the time.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: foot pegs??   foot pegs?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 10:10 am

Dan, That's the idea. The problem is to design a bracket that can be ajusted to be used by riders with longer legs and those with shorter legs and strong enough to support a rider during a position shift on the seat. By using an extra bracket on the end of the main support bracket (attached to the scooter) a person can use this extra bracket for longer legs and turn it around for a shorter rider.

These are my thoughts that I have been throwing around inside my head for some time now and if and when I get a chance to get under the bike I can make it happen. This cold weather is really getting me behind on my projects.
Back to top Go down
transam86
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
transam86

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: foot pegs   foot pegs?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 2:31 pm

I had done my own conversion if anybody needs photos please feel free to email me at my86ta24k@aol.com and ide more then happy to send you photos. Also I just realized I had added photos on here under the album section then click personal album I guess otherwise its in the general album folder on this site. What I did was I had my friend whos a welder by trade welded 1/8th steel stock to the upsweep of the front frame and notched out the bottom body panels. i did mine with chromed arms and chromed flamed kyryakyan foot pegs. Though my knees are still bent there wider and alot more comfortable. Also I rest my akeeleis hell on them time to time and stretch out totaly straight.
Eddie
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: foot pegs??   foot pegs?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 7:19 pm

Matthew, I've done it on mine and you can see pics in the link on my sig.

Dennis, if you take a look at Kuryakyn, they have two sizes of extensions,
and those extensions can be rotated around their mount to change the distance and height of whatever pegs or footboards are attached.
foot pegs?? - Page 2 Kuryak10
I used to have the 4064 switchblade pegs (still have them if anyone wants to buy em).
I now use the 4058 lighted cruiserboards.
The guy that installed mine used the ergo 2 clamp style attachment and put a pin in
the frame to keep it from rotating. If enough force is put on the boards, such as from going down in an accident, the pin will break rather than bending the frame.
At least that is the theory. I've never had occasion to test it.
Dan
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Re: foot pegs??   foot pegs?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 10:51 pm

I am 6'2 in 207 lbs and the length of my pants is 32.
This week I will be installing a new set of foot pegs that I bought from J.C Whitney. (VEMGO / UNIVERSAL DELUXE FOLD-UP FOOT PEGS WITH ANTI-VIBRATION COMFORT PADS that are 1 1/4 for $ 62.00. very nice and heavy duty on my 08.
It only took a few minutes to remove the lower foot panels and expose the 3/4 in frame tubing. Not 1 in. like some have indicated. It is exactingly 20 mm. much is easier to read.( even in the USA)
First thing I noticed is that on the right side (while sitting on the bike) there is a large coil and a bracket holding it, that will have to be cut back in order to weld the two pieces of pipes to, before attaching the foot pegs
I bought a 1 in. galvanized pipe 5 in. long, from the hardware store and had a muffler shop cut it length wise and then in two pieces the same size as the brackets of the foot pegs.
This week I will post with pictures, the look before and after shots, along with what was done to the bracket that holds the coil. small moped
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4180
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: foot pegs??   foot pegs?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 6:29 pm

So why do you need highway pegs, just stretch your legs out straight one at a time and move your foot about a bit, then do the other one. Or brace your legs and lift your arse out of the seat for a couple of seconds. It costs nothing, doesn't involve buying expensive chromed tat, and cutting holes in the bodywork to fit this stuff.

Or is this really a wannabe chopper riding fetish thing some of you have? Neutral
Back to top Go down
john123
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
john123

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2010-02-21

PostSubject: Re: foot pegs??   foot pegs?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 5:14 pm

No Meldrew. This is just me adding just one more item to my ride to piss you off, but make me happy, and make you ask WHY? affraid
I am not a wannabe, unless it is a Gold Wing you might be referring to.
he pegs were not expensive because of the extra welding that will need to be done.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: foot pegs??   foot pegs?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 6:21 pm

It's not pissing me off in the least mate, I tried riding with my legs splayed out where foot pegs would be yesterday after reading this topic. Apart from looking like a complete dick to a passing sportsbike rider, and getting my boots out in the wind, it seemed a complete waste of time.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: foot pegs??   foot pegs?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 6:32 pm

Meldrew, they are American, you've got to make allowances for them! Rolling Eyes

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: foot pegs??   foot pegs?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 10:08 pm

Looks like we have a pissing contest. :lol!: vomit
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: foot pegs??   foot pegs?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 12:26 am

Not at all, if the Silver Wing was meant to be ridden with your feet outside the bodywork Honda would have designed it that way, or at least modified the design so foot pegs could be added as an option to the Silver Wing like heated grips from the Honda accessories.

It does indeed seem to be an American thing to want to add foot pegs to a maxi scooter, yet adding the Honda lower leg wind deflectors that greatly improve riding comfort and weather protection are generally considered an expensive extravagance.

As we're supposed to say here in Northern England "There's nowt so queer as folk!" Smile

Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: foot pegs??   foot pegs?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 1:45 am

I have the Honda lower leg wind deflectors that I can't bring my self to put on as hear in Florida they block to much wind. Hear in the U.S the dealers don't carry them so I did pay a high price for them thinking they may be good for our one winter month. But after thinking about it I figured it would not be worth being hot for the eleven months of summer. I don't think I would like foot pegs, but I can see wear they may help someone in the hot summers to have some air coming up your pant legs. Honda don't give us hear in the U.S. the option of the power outlet in the left glove box and I'm not sure but we may not have the option of heated grips. New I know we can add them but we still have to run wires as the harness does not have them hear. You could say why have a GPS as that is what maps and street signs are for. It is all up to what the rider likes to make his scooter fit him or her. My options are to make me happy not someone else. And that's the way it should be. Smile
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: foot pegs??   foot pegs?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 4:53 am

model28a,
The deflectors can be screwed on, therefore could be removed in less than five minutes. The adhesive tape on the deflectors could easily be removed prior to fitting them. When I fitted mine I used an additional screw (self tapper) at the 'point' of the deflector. If you want a deflector that works and can be removed without leaving any trace then try the ones that Nelson Boll makes - they also flex unlike the Honda ones that snap like a twig (pigging expensive twig!).

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3299
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: foot pegs??   foot pegs?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 6:55 am

I think instead of riding feet out----people should work on their riding technique and being in shape to ride. I have only ridden over 1.5 million miles and really would not like air runnin up my pants. Doesn't fit into staying warm and dry.

There is safety issue here, too-----dragging---big bump could upset bike, and object sticking out could catch on something And how solid are they? Honda felt necessary would be offered as standard equipment/OEM accessories.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: foot pegs??   foot pegs?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 7:24 am

I have the Uk deflectors and I love it . The foot pegs are good in hot long distance riding. I, like Meldrew, I do the leg,and butt thing. Smile motorcycle
Back to top Go down
john123
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
john123

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2010-02-21

PostSubject: Re: foot pegs??   foot pegs?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 10:20 pm

OK. So I might be out numbered, for now. Just wait until show you all how good they look. You might want to change your mind. Ha
Why did Honda not add mirror longer so you could see around your shoulders?
Why did they not add, many of what some people think are good additions to a GREAT bike or offer as extras?
That is what makes a good scooter better. Peoples input after ridding one and thinking what they think would make it just a little bit better.
Like the tires that could be just a tad bit larger.
And a larger wind shield?
Do any any of you, on the other side of the pond use one?
From what I have read, I think you do.
What about a louder horn? did they think of that? Haaa. No. Did not think so.
And the answer is? :lol!:

Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: foot pegs??   foot pegs?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 2:33 am

Here on the other side of the pond I've noticed the vast majority of used Silver Wings for sale still have the stock screen, and the only fitted extra is the colour matched 45 litre Honda top box. A few will have the lower leg wind deflectors or heated grips fitted, and occasionally you'll spot one fitted with the Givi DT214 higher screen. So unless they've removed the good stuff they've being offered for sale pretty much the same way they were sold when new.

It's probably only the Silver Wing enthusiast types that are on this forum that will fit the Givi Airflow and other popular bits, bearing in mind we have to comply with British and EU legislation. So no fitting car tyres, headlight modulators, dancing disco LED light arrays, and reflective material panels that could mistake us for Police or emergency services vehicles.

There's no real point in fitting one of those super loud horns that can make your ear drums bleed either, I'd say for the very rare occasions the horn is needed, the stock horn is sufficient.

The popular beverage holder has never really caught on over here, and with all the rain we've had this year they be mistaken for motorcycle bird baths. Smile

Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: foot pegs??   foot pegs?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 9:22 am

Wow. With all the BS we deal with here (rules and regulations) it sounds like it is not nearly as bad, as where you live.
The USA is not the best place to live but we are trying to make it a better with every election. Wish us luck in November and coming election.
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Foot peg pictures   foot pegs?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 1:59 pm

To day is the day, I hope to finish my foot peg project with pictures. I hope.
If some one can tell me how to download them to this forum.
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Leg wind deflectors   foot pegs?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2012 9:00 am

model28a wrote:
I have the Honda lower leg wind deflectors that I can't bring my self to put on as hear in Florida they block to much wind. Hear in the U.S the dealers don't carry them so I did pay a high price for them thinking they may be good for our one winter month. But after thinking about it I figured it would not be worth being hot for the eleven months of summer. I don't think I would like foot pegs, but I can see wear they may help someone in the hot summers to have some air coming up your pant legs. Honda don't give us hear in the U.S. the option of the power outlet in the left glove box and I'm not sure but we may not have the option of heated grips. New I know we can add them but we still have to run wires as the harness does not have them hear. You could say why have a GPS as that is what maps and street signs are for. It is all up to what the rider likes to make his scooter fit him or her. My options are to make me happy not someone else. And that's the way it should be. Smile

Do you still have the deflectors:? If so do you want to sell them?
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Foot Pegs   foot pegs?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2012 10:52 am

OK The project is done and the pictures are in my album
It was a LOT of work but I am happy with the end results.
I spent a total of $120.00 not including my blood, sweat and tears. Evil or Very Mad
I had to remove 2 plastic screw brackets in order to make it work. 1 from each side and the alignment of the topperwere was not fun but over all I am very happy with how it looks.
The foot pegs from J.C Whitney are heavy duty and the chrome looks like it will hold up for a long time.
It would have been nice if the foot pegs came in the right size to begin with, so as to not have to weld the galvanized pipe to the frame. motorcycle
Back to top Go down
Darkeswinger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Darkeswinger

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: foot pegs??   foot pegs?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2012 4:03 pm

Nice work!
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: foot pegs??   foot pegs?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2012 4:18 pm

applause applause applause
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2568
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: foot pegs??   foot pegs?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 8:42 am

Nice work, really like the looks of the pegs. Too bad Honda doesn't make something like this an option as I for one do not have the tools or knowledge to install these as you did but would snap them up in a heartbeat if they were available (installed). Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: foot pegs??   foot pegs?? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

foot pegs??
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2