Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
 Hello From Pothole Pennsylvania, Northeast, Scranton I_icon_minitimeby Mighty Mouse Today at 4:47 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
 Hello From Pothole Pennsylvania, Northeast, Scranton I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
 Hello From Pothole Pennsylvania, Northeast, Scranton I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
 Hello From Pothole Pennsylvania, Northeast, Scranton I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
 Hello From Pothole Pennsylvania, Northeast, Scranton I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
 Hello From Pothole Pennsylvania, Northeast, Scranton I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
 Hello From Pothole Pennsylvania, Northeast, Scranton I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
 Hello From Pothole Pennsylvania, Northeast, Scranton I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
 Hello From Pothole Pennsylvania, Northeast, Scranton I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
 Hello From Pothole Pennsylvania, Northeast, Scranton I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Hello From Pothole Pennsylvania, Northeast, Scranton

Go down 
+2
dspevack
honda_silver
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Hello From Pothole Pennsylvania, Northeast, Scranton Empty
PostSubject: Hello From Pothole Pennsylvania, Northeast, Scranton    Hello From Pothole Pennsylvania, Northeast, Scranton I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2011 12:22 am

Hey all,
I am in the process of choosing between a new 2009, 2010 or 2011 Silverwing with ABS. I know I want to modify it with all that I have read from this site and by talking to people in the area.
As long as the modifications do not void the warranty then maybe I should get the best priced one (2009) and then have money left for the changes I want.

Any thoughts before I sign-z-papers??

Tom
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Hello From Pothole Pennsylvania, Northeast, Scranton    Hello From Pothole Pennsylvania, Northeast, Scranton I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2011 12:50 am

TommyD wrote:
I am in the process of choosing between a new 2009, 2010 or 2011 Silverwing with ABS.
TommyD wrote:
maybe I should get the best priced one (2009) and then have money left for the changes I want.
There is not any real differences between 2009-2011 ... other than the color.

If you are planning on keeping for long term then lowest price would be fine.

If you not sure, then you may want to compare the price against the NADA or Kelly Blue book.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Hello From Pothole Pennsylvania, Northeast, Scranton    Hello From Pothole Pennsylvania, Northeast, Scranton I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2011 9:41 am

Great advice, Bill.
If they are all new, get the cheapest.
The difference when it comes to resale value down the road will be negligible.

Have fun and welcome to world of SIWIs.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Hello From Pothole Pennsylvania, Northeast, Scranton    Hello From Pothole Pennsylvania, Northeast, Scranton I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2011 1:03 pm

Welcome Tommy, I have heard of no mods on this forum that endanger your warranty. There are some nice mods here that will make you driving experience more fun.

Again, welcome. Drive safe and don't hesitate to ask any questions of the group. There are some pretty savvy members here.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3788
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Hello From Pothole Pennsylvania, Northeast, Scranton    Hello From Pothole Pennsylvania, Northeast, Scranton I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2011 6:00 pm

If mods include changing the rear tyre for a car one, check your insurance; a friend with a Burgman was thinking of making the change but has read the small-print in his Insurance Policy and, as the car tyre is not type-approved for his bike, to do so will invalidate his insurance.
He lives in France.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Hello From Pothole Pennsylvania, Northeast, Scranton    Hello From Pothole Pennsylvania, Northeast, Scranton I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2011 8:47 pm

Tommy, Mike is correct to advise to check with your insurance and to read the fine print of any document relating your warranty. But if you do find any problem please relay it here. The dark side issue is discussed here repeatedly. But I am not aware of anyone that has found any official issue with warranty or insurance here in the US. It is important to let the forum know if you do find that to be the case now.
No other mod that I have heard discussed here has ever been anything other than personal preference. Nitrous Oxide injectors might be something you want to check the warranty factor also. affraid Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hello From Pothole Pennsylvania, Northeast, Scranton    Hello From Pothole Pennsylvania, Northeast, Scranton I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 6:19 pm

Thanks all,
for the support and responses. I went in today to buy a 2010 red ( to match my 2003 Honda accord ) but the sales guy was out early. So, a 30 mile trip in the car was wasted. Maybe not, as I talked with the parts department and they said that some parts they could order, such as the grip warmers and that if I had the parts with me that they would install any that I wanted.
So, tomorrow I will try to connect with the sales person and discuss some items that I might want installed before I actually pickup the bike.

I am studying for the permit test and need to get scheduled for the safety course that should lead to my license and permit.

Thanks again, everyone, for the fine input and support.
Back to top Go down
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Hello From Pothole Pennsylvania, Northeast, Scranton    Hello From Pothole Pennsylvania, Northeast, Scranton I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 9:21 pm

You'll love the Swing once you get the hang of riding. I've put 25k on mine since I bought her (yes, HER) almost exactly a year ago and she's served me very well. I lead rides for a scooter club in the Southeast PA region (I'm in Philly) and I've enjoyed riding up to the mountains and taken my Swing on the Pocono Raceway for 5 laps of sheer terrifying fun. I think I reached 104mph on the straightaways before all the Harleys got in my way!

The Swing is a fantastic machine. If you ride yours like I do though, just know you're gonna get crappy mileage - I average 37-38mpg on most of my high speed long distance runs.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ezridersscooterclub.com
Acquit
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Acquit

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2011-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Hello From Pothole Pennsylvania, Northeast, Scranton    Hello From Pothole Pennsylvania, Northeast, Scranton I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 2:58 am

TommyD wrote:

I am studying for the permit test and need to get scheduled for the safety course that should lead to my license and permit.
Thanks again, everyone, for the fine input and support.

Tommy, taking the course is a great thing to do. I rode bikes a lot - but 27 years ago. I just took the MSF course, got endorsed and picked up my Silverwing in the course of about 5 days and it's been great fun. I did find a book that provided me with enough information that I could have got the 100% on the written test without the course (the MSF course was actually a dumbed up version of the book). Anyway I recommend Proficient Motorcycling - the Ultimate guide to riding well. The author is a presenter in the NW Maxi Scooter event next month in Skamania County.

http://www.amazon.com/Proficient-Motorcycling-Ultimate-Guide-Riding/dp/1933958359/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1308898594&sr=1-1

It is available in Kindle edition also.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello From Pothole Pennsylvania, Northeast, Scranton    Hello From Pothole Pennsylvania, Northeast, Scranton I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello From Pothole Pennsylvania, Northeast, Scranton
Page 1 of 1