Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Advice wanted I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Yesterday at 10:55 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Advice wanted I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Advice wanted I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Advice wanted I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Advice wanted I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Advice wanted I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Advice wanted I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Advice wanted I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Advice wanted I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

» Greetings From 'Phoenix'
Advice wanted I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:07 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Advice wanted

Go down 
+5
AAAA
john grinsel
bigbird
steveR
vmaximus
9 posters
AuthorMessage
vmaximus
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-04-15

Advice wanted Empty
PostSubject: Advice wanted   Advice wanted I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 2:55 am

Being new to s/wings i would like some information.The problem is that when i start off there seems to be some grumblings and vibration around the front end which dissapears once you have started moving,also vibration on hard acceleration,could it be that it's just how the twin cylinder engine is and that it's normal for this type of scooter.My 125 yamaha Majesty single cylinder and 1200 vmax v four are both smoother.Any information would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
steveR
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
steveR

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2011-03-23

Advice wanted Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice wanted   Advice wanted I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 12:54 pm

vmaximus wrote:
Being new to s/wings i would like some information.The problem is that when i start off there seems to be some grumblings and vibration around the front end which dissapears once you have started moving,also vibration on hard acceleration,could it be that it's just how the twin cylinder engine is and that it's normal for this type of scooter.My 125 yamaha Majesty single cylinder and 1200 vmax v four are both smoother.Any information would be appreciated.

Age of the bike? Had it serviced recently? MOT?

I have only limited experience on my scoot too, but it is a smooth ride I find, not as smooth as a 4 cyl will give you, but good enough.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Advice wanted Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice wanted   Advice wanted I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 1:53 pm

vmaximus wrote:
Being new to s/wings i would like some information.The problem is that when i start off there seems to be some grumblings and vibration around the front end which dissapears once you have started moving,also vibration on hard acceleration

Very common on the stock Swing. The root cause of the problem is the gearing of the engine through the front variator. Gearing change on the front variator occurs too quickly, resulting in the engine running below its torque peak. This results in loading the engine at too low an rpm, resulting in shuddering and shaking.
There are 3 common remedies to raise engine rpm on initial takeoff and acceleration:
1) Use lighter rollers in the front variator
2) use more efficient sliders in the front variator
3) replace the front variator altogether with a J. Costa variator
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Advice wanted Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice wanted   Advice wanted I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 6:23 pm

First it does not hurt anything.

I demo rode the SilverWing that I bought----the shaking up to about 35 mph bothered me at first----then, so what, Hondas do not break very often. Has warranty.

May have gotten smoother as the miles piled up.

I have had 8 rubber band drive scooters---Drive Line on SilverWing shakes most.
TMAX was smoother but much more complicated mechanically. I think 250 cc is about tops for this type of drive line to work well-----My 125 (new) Daelim in Korea was smooth, took a lot of abuse----in spite of heavy city and commercial use belt trouble on scooters there is very uncommon.

John Grinsel I generally do not modify bikes as Honda is smarter then I am on their own products.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Advice wanted Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice wanted   Advice wanted I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 7:42 pm

john grinsel wrote:
I generally do not modify bikes as Honda is smarter then I am on their own products.

I tend to disagree. If they were so smart, why didn't they install HyperPro type springs as standard equipment?
You can't tell me that the stock springs are safer than the HyperPro's (less brake dive, more precise cornering).
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2010-11-14

Advice wanted Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice wanted   Advice wanted I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 9:45 pm

bigbird wrote:
john grinsel wrote:
I generally do not modify bikes as Honda is smarter then I am on their own products.

I tend to disagree. If they were so smart, why didn't they install HyperPro type springs as standard equipment?
You can't tell me that the stock springs are safer than the HyperPro's (less brake dive, more precise cornering).

+1
Honda, and all the other manufactures, fully support the efforts of aftermarket engineering.
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Advice wanted Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice wanted   Advice wanted I_icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 10:31 am

john grinsel wrote:
mechanically. I think 250 cc is about tops for this type of drive line to work well-----
John Grinsel

A come on John -- what about the DAF CVT heavy trucks?
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Advice wanted Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice wanted   Advice wanted I_icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 11:04 am

I remember the DAF cars----which were kind of a joke. DAF trucks, big ones, are all over Europe, I am unaware they have rubber band drive, and if they do probably much more complicated than the SilverWing simple system.

In context of scooters, once a again I say, based on experience, 250 seems to work best for this kind of application------both Yamaha TMAX and Suzuki 650 Burgman have more complicated applications, the TMAX actually has 2 clutch system, one wet, one dry. I put 11,000 quick miles on my TMAX and got rid of, seeing expensive maint. down the line. My 400 Burgman was also not exactly smooth in power application---and they had series of clutch troubles......maybe brought on by unknowing owners.

Having wasted lots of money over the years trying to modify stuff that didn't seem to work right----I now find it cheaper simply to buy something else and get the experience-----So far Helix has been best rubberband drive scooter with the built in trunk and easy to change drive belt----buffeting just as bad as other scooters.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
Derekhadley
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-01-15

Advice wanted Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice wanted   Advice wanted I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 9:00 am

scratch My nephew has just had a Honda GL 500 Silverwing (1982) given him.He has had the spark plugs out and when he turns on they spark constantly.When he tries the starter it stops sparking altogether even though the engine turns over fine.What on earth is going on!?
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Advice wanted Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice wanted   Advice wanted I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 9:26 am

Derekhadley wrote:
scratch My nephew has just had a Honda GL 500 Silverwing (1982) given him.He has had the spark plugs out and when he turns on they spark constantly.When he tries the starter it stops sparking altogether even though the engine turns over fine.What on earth is going on!?

The GL500 Silver Wing is a totally different machine.

Look at the picture at the top of the sites page then look at your relations GL500!!!!

Miles apart. This site is dedicated to the 600cc Silver Wing maxi scooter. Automatic transmission etc.

Sorry to disappoint but the info you need will be found elsewhere unless someone on here HAS a GL500 too!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Derekhadley
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-01-15

Advice wanted Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice wanted   Advice wanted I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 9:40 am

scratch OOPS!! Sorry and thanks for prompt reply.He phoned me as he lives away so I haven'y seen it and don't know any different!
May get some info now.All the best.Dek
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2551
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Advice wanted Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice wanted   Advice wanted I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 9:43 am

bigbird wrote:
john grinsel wrote:

I see both points. Honda makes a good reliable product that will function well for MOST people. In addition price is a variable; cost must be kept down to keep in line with competition (Suzuki etc.). Aftermarket products can fine-tune the machine for a persons' need so is a very important part of the experience.

Example, a lot of people on here change out the stock windscreen for a Givi. Personally I must be the right size et al because the stocker causes me no grief. BUT I would like to change out rear shocks at some point!
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Advice wanted Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice wanted   Advice wanted I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 10:10 am

Derekhadley wrote:
scratch OOPS!! Sorry and thanks for prompt reply.He phoned me as he lives away so I haven'y seen it and don't know any different!
May get some info now.All the best.Dek

No probs Dek. Hate to someone waiting for a reply when one may not be forthcoming.

Good luck finding the info.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Sponsored content

Advice wanted Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice wanted   Advice wanted I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Advice wanted
Page 1 of 1