Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Fuel Consumption - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Fuel Consumption - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Fuel Consumption - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Fuel Consumption - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Fuel Consumption - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Fuel Consumption - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Fuel Consumption - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Fuel Consumption - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Fuel Consumption - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Fuel Consumption - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Fuel Consumption

Go down 
+30
Meldrew
GHM-PM
Colin B
hotwings
surlybiker58
Okiedolkle
Nowun
"Hi Yo"
model28a
Charlie bravo
bikerboy
Atrick
The Scootist
RArch
tarmacburner2
Winger61
Waspie
rogerscoot
Old Limey
roadrunner
JeffR
DennisB
smorkle
buddy19520
alejom
mitch
KurtPerthWA
papa johns
lesley & John
steveR
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
steveR
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
steveR

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2011-03-23

Fuel Consumption - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Fuel Consumption   Fuel Consumption - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 1:10 pm

First topic message reminder :

So, as a new Swing owner, what fuel consumption should I be expecting on a longish trip, loaded with camping gear etc. ? Imperial MPG Smile

Some motorway work (to channel ports) then mainly equivilant of A and B roads on the continent. I am just working some budgets out over the coming weeks! The guys I will be with are "mature" riders, all riding big trailies and the like so no "bum in the air" nonsense Wink

I am working on 45-50mpg average.... is this realistic?
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Consumption   Fuel Consumption - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 4:08 am

Colin B wrote:
Waspie wrote:
I have tried tootling around - Don't like it!!!!

I wasn't "tootling around", as you rather condescendingly put it! But, as I'm still running in, neither was I thrashing it. My acceleration was smooth, with speeds variable and appropriate for the circumstances.

When riding for pleasure, I do not see the point of racing through beautiful countryside (Gloucestershire in this instance), unable to take in the scenery, and being left ONLY with a memory of a road stretching ahead.

"A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare?"
Leisure ~ W. H. Davies

I mentioned my fuel consumption because I was surprised by the low figures I'd read here. With most of those reports being made by US members, I had failed to take into account quite how much those figures are affected by the smaller US gallon (thank you buddy for advising the percentage difference).

I was also pleased to note that the consumption was significantly better than the two Burgmen I'd previously owned (ridden in similar fashion).

Thank you for making my mind up about wether I leave the site or stay.

Condesending!!

No just my version of humour. Suggest you visit a shop near you and get some!

May the force be with you all Bye! It was fun but the newer members have spoilt it for me.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Consumption   Fuel Consumption - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 6:07 am

Sad to hear you're leaving, Doug. I don't find anything wrong with your sense of humour - to a large extent it mirrors my own, but then again we we are both ex- Navy!
Even the guys across the pond seem to appreciate your quips and quotes, just seems a few newcomers prefer to stray over to the side of sarcasm, which I never found to be even vaguely amusing.
I would really hope you will have second thoughts about leaving - you have added a very great deal to this site.

Ride safe and take care.

Graham
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Consumption   Fuel Consumption - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 8:36 am

I would hope this could be handled w/o someone having to leave.

People, you need to realize that this is a FORUM. There is no face to face interaction therefore it is impossible to SEE the other persons perspective... Feelings get hurt, primarily because one person will say something that is taken wrong (mis-interpreted) by the other. Sometimes the humour does not appear to one party and this appears to have happened here.

Post your thoughts, then re-read it several times so you can be sure that the idea comes across w/o offending the other party.

Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Consumption   Fuel Consumption - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 9:46 am

Well it's sad to see Waspie go if that's what he intends to do, the thing is where do you go from here if you still want to be on a maxi scooter forum? That other Silver Wing forum has bit the dust, and so has bigbear's Tech forum. There's a couple of US based scooter forums which are so dull I can't even remember the name of the one I was interested in briefly. Waspie was on that one too, and also the UK based Muppets forum which he also stopped going on.

I don't take anything too seriously that's said on here about riding abilities, fast riding, and of course " blasting through the twisties". We're mainly just a bunch of old blokes tapping out rubbish on our computers for other old blokes with a shared interest to read, laugh at, or get their knickers in a twist about... and long may it continue like that. Smile
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Consumption   Fuel Consumption - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 12:32 pm

I agree with what the others have said, Waspie. This is the place to be as far as SWing riders go. If someone said something that seemed offensive, then that's a real shame. But you seem like the type of guy that can shrug those things off easily and I, for one, enjoy your presence on this forum because of that. For those with shorter fuses, please bear with us who have a bit of advanced longevity around here; we're just wanting to share and enjoy the SilverWing camaraderie.

Meldrew's post says it all as far as I'm concerned. No one wants you to leave, so stick with us. This is a pretty unique site and you've helped to make it like that. Hopefully, will talk to you later.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Fuel Consumption - Page 2 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Consumption   Fuel Consumption - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 12:49 pm

When I read that "condescending" comment, I went back and read the entire thread (twice) to see the problem. Personally, I didn't see one, but I guess it is all in perception. As we add more members, someone is bound to get their knickers in a twist from time to time. I always enjoyed what Waspie added to this madhouse and I respect his decision to do what is best for his enjoyment of life. The force WILL be with Doug. alien beamed up
Back to top Go down
Nowun
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Nowun

Number of posts : 288
Registration date : 2012-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Consumption   Fuel Consumption - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 3:53 pm

I don't see 'condescending'. I hope my posts have not contributed to Doug's decision.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Consumption   Fuel Consumption - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 4:12 pm

Doug, when I first came on this forum someone pointed out to me that I should have used just instead of jest. At first i took offence as I felt my point was still understandable and we weren't here for grammar lessons. My first thought was to point that out in a rather rude way, but instead of replying then I slept on it overnight. The next day I looked thru some old posts from the poster and realized he did not mean it as a personal attack as I had felt. As Glenn said things are different face to face, online you can't see or hear how things are meant. I hope you don't leave but in the end that is your decision. If you do leave and ever need any help please feel free to PM me and I will do what I can to help if I can.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Consumption   Fuel Consumption - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 4:37 pm

IMHO 'tootling around' suggests 'not riding seriously, merely playing at it'.

Since the member in question is a member of the IAM - Institute of Advanced Motorists - and uses his Silverwing to get to work every day as well as for pleasure it is conceivable the remark is offensive to him athough I doubt it was made to offend.

http://www.iam.org.uk/
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2013-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Consumption   Fuel Consumption - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 5:20 am

When one is so bent on being politically correct, they usually get bent out of shape.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Consumption   Fuel Consumption - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 6:21 am

I don't see that it has anything to do with Political Correctness; one person has made a remark about someone else which has been perceived as an insult.
It has nothing to do with Politics, Race or Sex.
Back to top Go down
Dramhunter
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Dramhunter

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2012-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Consumption   Fuel Consumption - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 3:55 am

I did a 268 mile round trip from Belfast to Dublin on Saturday 16th November with a bunch of others from the Widows Sons Masonic Bikers Association Ireland. We did a mixture of 'tootling' on side roads, progressing on main roads, city streets, windy coastal roads and warp speed on the motorways. My 2010 Swing performed faultlessly, kept up with the 'big boys' (except once when we got badly chopped up in traffic and I almost lost them 'cause the man in front wasn't watching for the man behind!) and returned me an average 61mpg on the day with which I am well pleased.

During my commuting in the summer it averaged 55 which is also pleasing. My previous 2001 Swing only averaged 45 and the best return it made was 53 which wasn't any better than the big ol' beemer it replaced. The later model Swings definitely return better mpg.
Back to top Go down
http://northlight.artistwebsites.com/index.html
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Consumption   Fuel Consumption - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fuel Consumption
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2