Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Grip Heater Kit Question I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Grip Heater Kit Question I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Grip Heater Kit Question I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Grip Heater Kit Question I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Grip Heater Kit Question I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Grip Heater Kit Question I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Grip Heater Kit Question I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Grip Heater Kit Question I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Grip Heater Kit Question I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Grip Heater Kit Question I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Grip Heater Kit Question

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
FlyingWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
FlyingWing

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-01-16

Grip Heater Kit Question Empty
PostSubject: Grip Heater Kit Question   Grip Heater Kit Question I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 16, 2011 11:51 am

Hello, I just signed up today to this forum....have been a member of "the other forum" for a while. I bought a grip heater kit online and want to install it but it comes with parts called "heat resistant covers" that is not included in most kits. The heater pads come with their own adhesive(peel and stick) but these covers dont have any adhesive and not sure if i should include them or not. All instructions i find calls for using electrical tape on the left side, install heat pad and grips right over. The only opinion i have received replied that the covers go over the pad and then grips over the covers....but that dont make sense. I am attaching a pic....the pink items in it are what im talking about.

Grip Heater Kit Question 2j3l6bp
Back to top Go down
http://www.Yerabuilder.com
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Grip Heater Kit Question   Grip Heater Kit Question I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 16, 2011 5:31 pm

Are there any illustrations included with the kit? Who manufactures the kit? Any luck doing some kind of search on-line (other than scooter groups) for info, like using Yahoo, Bing or Google? If they are 'heat resistant covers' I'd be tempted to think thy go under the heaters. Sort of like insulators to keep the heat from dissipating through the handlebars.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
FlyingWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
FlyingWing

PostSubject: Re: Grip Heater Kit Question   Grip Heater Kit Question I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 16, 2011 8:28 pm

I have searched thoroughly and no sign of nothing like that. I ordered from ebay from china....ridiculous low price. nothing came with the kit but what i showed....nothing!. I have already supplied power to the area. installing wont be a problem. just wanna know what these things are for. I had another person tell me they go over the heater pads....who knows.
Back to top Go down
Skippy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Skippy

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2010-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Grip Heater Kit Question   Grip Heater Kit Question I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 7:55 am

Looks to me very much those two pink items are 'Heat Shrink Wrapping' - the stuff you put over items to insulate them and then apply gentle heat with a heat gun or whatever and it shinks down to the appropriate size!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat-shrink_tubing

To be honest it all looks a bit Heath Robinson and not a little dangerous as well.

The only way I can see that working would be to wrap them around existing rubber grips, using something like tape or a rubber band to keep them in place, slide the heat shrink tubing over the whole lot and then shrink into place! Very dodgy as HST is really designed for the constant abrasion it will be getting from you gloved hands..........

I really do hope it was as cheap as you say, because I'd chalk this one up to experience, chuck the whole lot in the parts bin and get something that actually looks like it was designed to go on a motorcycle and not knocked up on during a junior school craft and design lesson LOL Smile

P.S. What 'other' Forum????

Last edited by Skippy on Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Grip Heater Kit Question   Grip Heater Kit Question I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 8:54 am

Yeah I'm not certain. I'm leaning toward the suggestion that Skippy has put forward. Be grateful it didn't set you back much and get a nice set of grip heaters that come with installation instructions. At this point we're all guessing and I'd rather the tingle in your hands be from cold than electrical shock.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
FlyingWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
FlyingWing

PostSubject: Re: Grip Heater Kit Question   Grip Heater Kit Question I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 7:03 pm

Well amigos....installed them today and they do work and get very toasty....those heat wraps .....i couldnt make them do anything....so installed the pads like all the others get installed....wrap the left handlebar with electrical tape, stick the pads on and install grips back over.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grip Heater Kit Question   Grip Heater Kit Question I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Grip Heater Kit Question
Page 1 of 1