Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Windshield Experament I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Windshield Experament I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Windshield Experament I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Windshield Experament I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Windshield Experament I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Windshield Experament I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Windshield Experament I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Windshield Experament I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Windshield Experament I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Windshield Experament I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Windshield Experament

Go down 
+4
jdeereanton
Skippy
Waspie
john grinsel
8 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Windshield Experament Empty
PostSubject: Windshield Experament   Windshield Experament I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 10:08 am

Am about to proceed with experament on my Givi adjustable windshield.

I know what true comfort behind windshield is and enjoyed it for nearly 30 years---Heinrich Fairing and lowers on several BMW's. Dead Air and calm at all speeds. Real secret, nose close to tip of shield-----used these fairings in US/Ger/Japan conditions.

So also know most of the problem on scooters is your nose is too far from tip of shield and the buffeting devil shows up. The Givi gives pretty calm conditions up to 60-65. But after that still unpleasant and one needs to use throttle to keep from getting run down.

Also know look thru shield is stupid and dangerous if you are all weather/dark/into sunset rider--- maybe ok for trailer bikers.

Vespa does put your nose close to tip of shield-----but with their shakey dealer situation/overpricing and frequent belt changes, maybe not for me right now. Like tin and the front luggage carrier. Had 4 in past.

So.....going out to garage.....getting drill out......mounting Laminar Lip, that never did much in other applications but let us hope works in this deal. I bolt things on. Lost a Lip in Mpls rush hour with stick on.

Something already found out=as adjustable shield ages (means ridden a lot) the movable part of shield can slip down with temperature changes----pull movable shield out, there is 10mm nut that can be slightly tightened on both sides with thin wall socket.....and should fix problem.

I will follow up after much riding. Worst case, take off some holes left in shield, I can tell people they are for speed tuning. Some will believe.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Experament   Windshield Experament I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 10:55 am

You'll have to let us know how you get on John.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Skippy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Skippy

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2010-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Experament   Windshield Experament I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 3:03 pm

Hmm,

I've still got what I think is the original screen on my 04 bike. I can tell at some point in the past somebody has used a 'Laminar Flip Up' as there are four marks on the upper outer part of the screen.

I looked into getting one of these items when I first got the bike, but refused point blank to pay £80 for what is essentially something 1/3 the size of a number plate, which mounts with four suckers (which have damaged the suface of the screen already). For a few pounds more I can get either a Givi or Puig screen.

Having said that, I don't live to far from Weymouth (and Waspie) which is home to 'Skydmarx', a British firm that manufacture not only motorcycle screens but fairings as well. I lent a friend a 'Rickman Polaris' fairing a while ago, but the screen wasn't big enough for him so he trotted over to Skyds who made him a custom one in just under an hour.... I think a ride over to Weymouth might well be on the cards in the next couple of weeks!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Experament   Windshield Experament I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 3:25 pm

Early Ride Report-----don't waste you money! Since I already had Lip from another project I am ok.....it was already in junk box.

I will leave on for month or so---I have quick ride to Key West in late Jan or early Feb and see how it works on that trip.

Today, cold, clear, went on FreeWay----heavy cross winds, went two directions, North and South=ok be little improvement. Moved seat=no change. Will later try different helmet, the of course bottom line, it is near impossible to fix faulty design with home tricks. Too bad designers don't ride.

I lived in Milwaukee short time in late 70's, the Davidson's Willie G as we know him and brother John rode and father rode. Saw John on freeway side riding on rim. Guess is you are part owner you could tear up a wheel or two. Their father/uncles rode as result HD had great winter windshields and tin leg shields for the big twins, Milwaukee not having best climate in world. My new '66 FLH with sidecar had the winter shield and leg shields---rode 2/3 across US in mid winter 66-67, with little discomfort. Big shield created so much backdraft riding in salt and sandy street left back of jacket dirty like back of box truck body.

Will follow up on Lip experience.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
Skippy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Skippy

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Experament   Windshield Experament I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 3:37 pm

john grinsel wrote:
Big shield created so much backdraft riding in salt and sandy street left back of jacket dirty like back of box truck body.

LOL John, sounds a bit like my old Chop - the rear guard (or fender as some call them these days) stopped about 2 inches past the back of my butt...... I always tried to avoid road kill if at all possible - it sure did smell bad on a hot day!
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Experament   Windshield Experament I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 5:05 am

Skippy wrote:
Hmm,

I've still got what I think is the original screen on my 04 bike. I can tell at some point in the past somebody has used a 'Laminar Flip Up' as there are four marks on the upper outer part of the screen.

I looked into getting one of these items when I first got the bike, but refused point blank to pay £80 for what is essentially something 1/3 the size of a number plate, which mounts with four suckers (which have damaged the suface of the screen already). For a few pounds more I can get either a Givi or Puig screen.

Having said that, I don't live to far from Weymouth (and Waspie) which is home to 'Skydmarx', a British firm that manufacture not only motorcycle screens but fairings as well. I lent a friend a 'Rickman Polaris' fairing a while ago, but the screen wasn't big enough for him so he trotted over to Skyds who made him a custom one in just under an hour.... I think a ride over to Weymouth might well be on the cards in the next couple of weeks!

Never knew about Skydmarx!!!!! Sheltered world I live in!! Embarassed

When you decide when your going shout. If I'm not working or the wee woman hasn't mapped out my busy working home schedule. We could maybe RV someplace, Axminster or the like, be interesting to see where this place is. (Granby Ind Estate I fancy, at a guess).
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Experament   Windshield Experament I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 5:11 am

Regards my experience with the Givi Airflow. I have found it to produce a 'cold' area at the rear of my helmet. My remedy for this is to wear either a helmet liner or a neck warmer pulled high on top of my head before donning the helmet.

Other than that I am still experimenting with optimum position for general use. It is all irrelevant information to others rider in my opinion as the position for me may not be best for you! In that my physiology will be different. I have short legs and a longer body so my position on the seat will differ to others.

So in the end where any one individual places the upper part of the sliding screen for maximum noise reduction will never be standardised I believe.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Experament   Windshield Experament I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 8:25 am

I believe that the original bikes did not have wind screens thusly if you are working hard and long at minimizing the effect of wind on your body while riding - I don't consider you wind chickens to be real riders! Might as well pile your sissy machine on a trailer and ride in the truck. Leave the windows up and enjoy the silence.

And please stop experamenting (experimenting) with the English language. Real riders know how to spell.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Experament   Windshield Experament I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 9:02 am

jdeereanton wrote:
And please stop experamenting (experimenting) with the English language. Real riders know how to spell.

'Real' riders speak Queens English!!!!! Laughing

Bloody colonials telling us how to spell!!!! Go West young man. Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Experament   Windshield Experament I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 9:12 am

I do hope that most understand I have my tongue firmly planted in my cheek! But I do think it is wise to correctly spell words used in the title of a thread, gives the illusion of intelligence.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Experament   Windshield Experament I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 9:34 am

Dale I get your drift!!

I have to continually correct my Americanised Mac to correctly spell. Even I may add with the UK dictionary selected!!! Z's instead of S's!!!! Do they have these many problems with Spanish?

Does Spanish spoken in Spain differ from Spanish spoken in Mexico for example?

Back to Experimentation or Experamentation!!! Whatever!! Shocked
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Experament   Windshield Experament I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 11:23 am

xperymintayshon?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Experament   Windshield Experament I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 12:07 pm

I knew word was spelled wrong from get go.

So non riders and adm make big deal-----did you all ride you scooter today?

If adm knew something about bikes and rode a lot in past-----naked bikes do not generally have buffeting, just the direct wind blast. Buffeting on faired bike or scooter is an entirely different thing----can drive you nuts if you ride a lot---4 or 5 back to back 500 mile days with buffeting is torture.
And yes, weather protection is nice if you ride in all weathers.
I speak three languages and am published but most important ride..... and could care less about spelling--communicate is the important thing.Guess if you are not daily rider, you pick at little things. Spelling does not have much to do about riding or scooter improvement.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Experament   Windshield Experament I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 12:40 pm

john grinsel wrote:
Spelling does not have much to do about riding or scooter improvement.
John Grinsel

Neither does critiquing of Tennessee bathrooms.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Experament   Windshield Experament I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 12:59 pm

Correct spelling does matter; to say it doesn't is the same as using an incorrectly-sized spanner to tighten a nut.
It may do the job but eventually destroys both nut and spanner in the same way that incorrect spelling eventually destroys comprehensible written communication.

It is as important as correct punctuation and grammar.

It's laziness and sheer bad manners not to bother.

Maintenance of standards in all aspects of life is important.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Experament   Windshield Experament I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 1:58 pm

Gosh John, you're a bit touchy.

Slamming people for their "perceived lack of riding" also doesn't do much for the sport.

And yes, when it comes to communicating with others via this medium - spelling does matter. So does writing in a manner that is comprehensible. But, you knew that before I wrote it didn't you?
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Experament   Windshield Experament I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 3:22 pm

John just stop being boring about your riding time. It's dull, old hat and utterly irrelevant to us, sorry, but thats just me.

If you observe non of the other forum user go on about the miles they have travelled, just the fact we ride.

Keep up your input but stop injecting your remarks with 'I have millions of two wheeled miles' type comments.

As for your spelling, on a personal note I really don't care, there is much written by very emminent scholars of the function of the brain and its ability to assimilate jumbled words and make sense of them. And hey I'm on here to enjoy bike related banter not be an on line spell checker. (Plus I have my home PC set up to highlight incorrectly spelt words!!!!)

Bottom line - I'm not interested in how many miles you have under your belt just the fact you ride and enjoy it. Not many folk were born on a bike.

Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Experament   Windshield Experament I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 3:28 pm

Dale,,, MikeO,,, Well Put.

Kinda reminds me of that old addage about speaking, when applied to writing, and goes something like this:

"It's best to keep your mouth shut and just let folks 'think' you're stupid, rather than open your mouth and proving it."

I'm certainly not the consummate speller/writer (or speaker for that matter) by any means but a thoughtful, laid out sentence or paragraph with proper spelling makes for much easier reading on these forums. I've seen whole subjects written about in various forums that were completely devoid of punctuation, capitalization, proper spelling, and structure with the job of understanding it left strictly to the reader. I hate to think that's what our education systems have dropped to.

Okay... enough for my rant.
Back to top Go down
Skippy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Skippy

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Experament   Windshield Experament I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 5:33 pm

I was going comment, but I see the relevant folks have got there before me Smile Nuff said. (Thanks by the way).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Experament   Windshield Experament I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 12:26 pm

Trying to use correct grammar and spelling shows that you care.

If you don't care to communicate correctly, then you probably don't take much care in your other endeavors.

Your advice is regarded accordingly.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Experament   Windshield Experament I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 3:17 pm

I disagree with all the comments regards grammar and spelling.

Not all of us are privilaged to have such an amazing grasp of the English language.

Having poor grammar and spelling skills does make you a bad person, it could be a medical disorder and we should not persecute anyone merely on their written word.

I work with a chap who is dyxlexic and his spelling is abysmal, he is one of the nicest chaps I know. We all accept his condition and work with him.

Come on folks lets not castigate John purely because he writes with his heart.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Experament   Windshield Experament I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 3:34 pm

I really like British (or English) movies. Really liked "Enigma", but I usually have to play the dvds several times to hear what is being said. Really, really like the older ones where they ride the skinny wheeled bicycles and wear the wool clothing, especially the army uniforms. Keep writing. Spell any way you want. Especially, continue to use those decidedly English words that are so descriptive and, to me, educational.

p.s. It is cold here in the U. P. of Michigan. Riding is not possible and I need the enlightenment of an educated people to retain my sanity until Spring. And that will be a long, long time coming.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Experament   Windshield Experament I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 8:05 am

Waspie wrote:
John just stop being boring about your riding time. It's dull, old hat and utterly irrelevant to us, sorry, but thats just me.

If you observe non of the other forum user go on about the miles they have travelled, just the fact we ride.

Keep up your input but stop injecting your remarks with 'I have millions of two wheeled miles' type comments.

I bet somewhere in a dirty bathroom in Tennessee there's the words " Had a good ****?, John Grinsel's had a better one! " Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Experament   Windshield Experament I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 8:08 am

Meldrew wrote:

I bet somewhere in a dirty bathroom in Tennessee there's the words " Had a good ****?, John Grinsel's had a better one! " Rolling Eyes

That's funny!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Experament   Windshield Experament I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 12:10 pm

Waspie wrote:

Not all of us are privilaged to have such an amazing grasp of the English language.

I didn't say you had to use perfect grammar and spelling. I just said you have to try.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Experament   Windshield Experament I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 2:21 pm

DuggleBogey wrote:
Waspie wrote:

I didn't say you had to use perfect grammar and spelling. I just said you have to try.

As I never directly quoted you why do you think the comment was directed at you? It wasn't - it was a generalisation regards the direction this thread about windscreens is going, not an English lesson.

Nor did I use the term 'perfect' which you imply I used. If you must quote me ensure that the quote is relevant.

Who are we to say the originator is not trying?

Let us drop the picking holes in Johns grammar, my original gripe was his constant reminders of the amount of miles he states he has ridden as if that should make any difference to the particular subject matter.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Experament   Windshield Experament I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 2:24 pm

OK, I think the horse is dead. 'nuf said. vomit
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Experament   Windshield Experament I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 3:16 pm

wes_ingram wrote:

cheers
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Experament   Windshield Experament I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 3:25 pm

wes_ingram wrote:

I hope the toilets are clean for the New Year.
Back to top Go down
Skippy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Skippy

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Experament   Windshield Experament I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 4:08 pm

bigbird wrote:
wes_ingram wrote:

I hope the toilets are clean for the New Year.

:lol!: :lol!:

Sorry couldn't help myself.....
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Experament   Windshield Experament I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 4:11 pm

As this has devolved away from the original post about experimentation - bom on windshields and how no one else is even remotely a rider, or now spelling bee champ..

It is now locked - I hope it fades from memory quickly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Experament   Windshield Experament I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Windshield Experament
Page 1 of 1