Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
seat strut - seat lifting shock thing I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
seat strut - seat lifting shock thing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
seat strut - seat lifting shock thing I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
seat strut - seat lifting shock thing I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
seat strut - seat lifting shock thing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
seat strut - seat lifting shock thing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
seat strut - seat lifting shock thing I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
seat strut - seat lifting shock thing I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
seat strut - seat lifting shock thing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
seat strut - seat lifting shock thing I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

seat lifting shock thing

Go down 
+10
tankyuong
MikeO
Sweendog
bigbird
Ishkatan
smorkle
tonylumps
john grinsel
jdeereanton
ridr44
14 posters
AuthorMessage
ridr44
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2010-06-04

seat strut - seat lifting shock thing Empty
PostSubject: seat lifting shock thing   seat strut - seat lifting shock thing I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 9:02 am

Has anyone had to replace the small shock that lifts the seat to get to the underseat compartment? Mine no longer holds the seat up and it's a pain. Thanks Dan
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: seat lifting shock thing   seat strut - seat lifting shock thing I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 9:22 am

Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: seat lifting shock thing   seat strut - seat lifting shock thing I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 9:35 am

ridr44,

What year is your bike? Ours are 2005's and the strut is holding up well.

We typically leave them fully open in our garage when parked.
Back to top Go down
ridr44
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: seat lifting shock thing   seat strut - seat lifting shock thing I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 11:18 am

I have an 02, and i only have it 1.5 years and it never worked..
Back to top Go down
ridr44
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: seat lifting shock thing   seat strut - seat lifting shock thing I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 11:20 am

I had an 02 previously from new and I thought the lifting shock was always rather weak
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: shock   seat strut - seat lifting shock thing I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 2:22 pm

If the seat is stock---then shock is done. Get new one from Honda or piece of wood.If seat is not stock and or heavy backrest installed you probably have exceeded stock design capability....and shock cannot support extra weight.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: seat lifting shock thing   seat strut - seat lifting shock thing I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 2:25 pm

Well the link I provide to a post Bill made for a replacement Seat Strut will work just fine for a replacement or for a heavy seat:

https://www.silverwing600.com/silver-wing-accessories-modifications-f5/stronger-seat-strut-replacement-t2058.htm#17889

John is right a stick will work just fine or use the measurements Bill provides in the post to find another replacement.
Back to top Go down
tonylumps
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
tonylumps

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2010-04-26

PostSubject: Re: seat lifting shock thing   seat strut - seat lifting shock thing I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 7:23 pm

I also have a 2002 when I added the Back rest Extension the piston would not hold the seat up I replaced it with a new stock piston works fine now I also keep it open when in the garage
http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/products/357176-honda-83590-mct-003-hard-parts-damper-opener
Back to top Go down
smorkle
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
smorkle

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2010-08-21

PostSubject: Re: seat lifting shock thing   seat strut - seat lifting shock thing I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 7:42 pm

I have an acquaintance that rides a 400cc Suzuki Burgman. He was annoyed at the under seat shock and removed it entirely and took an old broom handle and cut it to length so as to make a prop rod to hold the seat up when needed. Last I talked to him, he was very satisfied with this option because it solved the problem of the bad shock, solved the problem of having to duck under the seat to get in there and also was very cost effective.

I'm not saying this idea is for everyone, but it certainly made him happy.
Back to top Go down
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: seat lifting shock thing   seat strut - seat lifting shock thing I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 8:50 pm

I'm about to buy a 2006 Silverwing with a bad seat lifter... and I was told to make sure the seat was closed and latched all the way because otherwise the light will stay on and drain the battery....

I think I will get a heavy duty office paperclip or similar clamp and stick it on the silver part of the piston when I need it to stay up. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.parklawnsailingassociation.org
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: seat lifting shock thing   seat strut - seat lifting shock thing I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 9:06 pm

Ishkatan wrote:
I'm about to buy a 2006 Silverwing with a bad seat lifter... and I was told to make sure the seat was closed and latched all the way because otherwise the light will stay on and drain the battery....

Do like most and just remove the bulb from the light. It's pretty useless anyway and you'll eliminate the biggest cause of a dead battery.
Back to top Go down
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: seat lifting shock thing   seat strut - seat lifting shock thing I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 10:59 pm

LOL, I had that in the back of my mind. or put it on a manual switch in case I need it at night.
Back to top Go down
http://www.parklawnsailingassociation.org
Sweendog
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Sweendog

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: seat lifting shock thing   seat strut - seat lifting shock thing I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 9:06 am

As mentioned, many folks have had some issue with the damper giving out, or being weak. You can fix it by going the stick/prop route, the heavy duty replacement route (mentioned early in the thread) or just by a replacement damper. The OEM part is about $28.

http://www.ronayers.com/Search/N/687/PartNumber/83590-MCT-003/Source/HO

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: seat lifting shock thing   seat strut - seat lifting shock thing I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 9:15 am

I took out the bulb and use something similar to this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolson-Tools-60702-Magnetic-Lamp/dp/B001B4PINI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289999537&sr=8-1

Mine has just three big bulbs - when I need it I stick it on the metal plate which is part of the Utopia Backrest.
Works a treat!

I also made a removeable prop out of two different diameter aluminium tubes and a length of bungee-cord so it's sort-of telescopic - it works a treat, too!
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: seat lifting shock thing   seat strut - seat lifting shock thing I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 1:44 pm

Or you can superglue the strut and use it as a prop
Back to top Go down
ridr44
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: seat lifting shock thing   seat strut - seat lifting shock thing I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 3:05 pm

Thank you to all. I have detached the strut and I am going with the piece of wood, and I truly love it. It is a great improvement to be able to open the seat all the way without having to bend my head to see inside. I recommend it to everyone. Actually the strut was a poor design by Honda. But as usual...you guys are great and I really appreciate all your advice!! dan
Back to top Go down
alloo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2012-05-25

PostSubject: Re: seat lifting shock thing   seat strut - seat lifting shock thing I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 5:31 pm

Have you actually thought of taking your strut to Autozone? I did it for my 07 Burgman 400 and got a stronger replacement.
Back to top Go down
Phred501
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Phred501

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-08-14

PostSubject: Re: seat lifting shock thing   seat strut - seat lifting shock thing I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 3:17 pm

My strut was hit & miss from the first time I opened the seat. (2002 new to me in 2011) At first, I used a piece pvc cut in half lengthwise. About 4"s ,it would lay against the strut extension & catch on the strut tube holding up the seat.It worked well enough but wasn't always easy to find as my tub is usually cluttered with stuff. #2 fix was a 4" piece of 1/2" emt (electrical metal tubing) with slot cut lengthwise. The 1/2" ID allowed the tube to slide over the strut yet naturally fell against the extension when fully opened causing it to catch on the strut when the seat is released. The only issue was the metal on metal rattling down the road. My 3rd and final solution was substituting 1/2 pvc (plastic tubing) for emt and it works great. It only latches when the seat is lifted fully. Releasing just involves realigning the tube around the strut and lowering the seat.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/Phred501/IMG_1789.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/Phred501/IMG_1786.jpg
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: seat lifting shock thing   seat strut - seat lifting shock thing I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 5:36 pm

What a neat solution Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: seat lifting shock thing   seat strut - seat lifting shock thing I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 5:45 am

Simple is always best. Well done.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: seat lifting shock thing   seat strut - seat lifting shock thing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

seat lifting shock thing
Page 1 of 1