Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Aftermarket Grips I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Aftermarket Grips I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Aftermarket Grips I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Aftermarket Grips I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Aftermarket Grips I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Aftermarket Grips I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Aftermarket Grips I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Aftermarket Grips I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Aftermarket Grips I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Aftermarket Grips I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Aftermarket Grips

Go down 
+9
dspevack
transam86
MikeO
buddy19520
Waspie
thomphoto
john grinsel
JeffR
bigbird
13 posters
AuthorMessage

Aftermarket Grips Empty
PostSubject: Aftermarket Grips   Aftermarket Grips I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 10:06 pm

Has anyone changed their grips? If so what suggestions do you have and can they be changed pretty easily or does it require shop expertise?

-Lee
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Aftermarket Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket Grips   Aftermarket Grips I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 10:27 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Aftermarket Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket Grips   Aftermarket Grips I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 12:30 am

Lee,

Changing the grips are pretty easy. This is how I did it:

1) Get a thin screwdriver that is at least 6" or so and then stick it straight in , inbetween the grip and the handlebar. ( You will need a can of wd-40)
2) After the screwdriver has been shoved straight in...using the screwdriver to create a space inbetween the grip and the handlebar and then spray the wd-40 in the space between the grip and the handlebar.
3) Rotate the screwdriver all around the inside of the grip.
4) Once you rotate the screwdriver all around the grip than you should be able to just pull the grip off. You will want to rub the wd-40 off of the handlebar, or the throttle body if you are removing the grip on the throttle.

You may need to remove the bar ends with a hex wrench, and it may be difficult to loosen since it is so tight. It really is simple to do and I hope I was able to explain it right. It took me maybe 5 mins to remove my grips when I did it. Good luck.
Attachments
Aftermarket Grips AttachmentREMOVE GRIPS-PDF.pdf
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(90 Kb) Downloaded 39 times
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Aftermarket Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket Grips   Aftermarket Grips I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 6:10 am

First why? Honda grips work fine.

#2 use screwdriver/WD tip above.

#3 or cut off...easy

Now buying grips----bar is 7/8" length grip somewhere around 4 1/2 long---open end.

Fancy grips do not make it faster or use less gas. Make sure you get ones that are not slippery in rain.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
thomphoto
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
thomphoto

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-06-11

Aftermarket Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket Grips   Aftermarket Grips I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 7:18 am

john grinsel wrote:
First why? Honda grips work fine.

#2 use screwdriver/WD tip above.

#3 or cut off...easy

Now buying grips----bar is 7/8" length grip somewhere around 4 1/2 long---open end.

Fancy grips do not make it faster or use less gas. Make sure you get ones that are not slippery in rain.

John Grinsel

In my opinion, the stock grips are as bad as the stock seat and windscreen. They are too small in diameter, and caused my hands to cramp after a very short time. I replaced with the Kuryakyn ISO's. Of course they don't affect the speed or gas mileage, but they sure make for a more comfortable ride. Very simple job to install. While you're at it, get the throttle boss from Kuryakyn too. (transam86 has an excellent set of directions on installing the Kuryakyn's on the other Silverwing forum. Do a search.
Back to top Go down
http://wendellthompsonfineart.com

Aftermarket Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket Grips   Aftermarket Grips I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 2:03 pm

I hate the stock grips. My right hand feels like it has arthritis. (All jokes can be made at this point.)

I try not to hold on with a death grip, and I have noticed a lot of improvement since I put on the foam insulation and I got a throttle lock, but I'd still like to increase the diameter of the grip for my hands, which appear to need something Orthopedic to keep from hurting.

Those Kuryakyn's look awesome. I may just save up my pennies and get them.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Aftermarket Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket Grips   Aftermarket Grips I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 2:13 pm

Don't know what the difference is but I have the grips as supplied with the Honda heated grip accessory.

I have never had any problems with any of the stock grips on any of my bikes. My gloves tend to fairly well padded and that may assist in taking the pain out of the grips.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

Aftermarket Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket Grips   Aftermarket Grips I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 2:35 pm

I have to agree with thomphoto and dugglebogey. The ISO grips are excellent - the bigger diameter allows you to relax your grip if you have bigger hands. I have a chinese 150 as well, and don't use my gloves when I ride because it's too hard to close my hand around the grip because its so skinny. Not a problem with the Swing with the ISO grip. Plus, the rubber is cushy, and helps cut down vibration to my hands.

Before anyone replaces their grips I suggest they think about whether they will want heated grips in the future. If you do, find a heated grip that you can live with year-round.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Aftermarket Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket Grips   Aftermarket Grips I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 2:37 pm

I have Honda heated grips - they are very hard but Grip-Puppies have cured that.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Aftermarket Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket Grips   Aftermarket Grips I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 3:01 pm

ok----here might be a little nasty but.....

Problems that make you think you need different grips----maybe you are holding on with death grip. Can usually result in pain between shoulder blades. Feet and legs do a lot for control on bikes, even though scooter has no knee grips, feet can still do a lot of work----push right, turn right.

Somebody said need to change seat----usually your butt is too big as you ate too much-----cure, be an active part of your riding, don't just plop yourself on like you to on toliet. Get in shape, eat less. Think back rests are necessary from not knowing how to ride right.

Above all ride for everything----ride a lot----then your body then gets used to it.Ride a lot means 25,000 or more a year.....most do it in their cars.

I agree on windshield---not worth a darn.

Gloves, get proper MC gloves---try Aerostich. Riding without not good idea----pavement really hurts.

John Grinsel

Remember many MSF instructors don't ride a lot, and maybe might not know these non secrets to comfortable riding---courses seldom cover it.
Back to top Go down

Aftermarket Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket Grips   Aftermarket Grips I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 3:11 pm

Somehow I knew John's answer would be I'm doing it wrong.

Is there any way to ignore a single person's posts? It would help my blood pressure.
Back to top Go down
transam86
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
transam86

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2009-02-25

Aftermarket Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket Grips   Aftermarket Grips I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 3:22 pm

I have larger hands being im 6-2. I didnt like the feel or look of the rubber grips from honda. I went with the kuryakyan chromed flamed grips and I absoloutly love them as I also added the throttle boss to each side with a signature tab out application. I did 170 miles on sat and 140 miles on sunday and had no discomfort whats so ever, then again i do alot of forearm work in the gym as well. All I did to remove my stock rubber grips was take a swcrew driver and insert it inside ( the open end of the grip ) the grip say maybe an inch to break the original seal of the glue from honda then just pealed them back pulling on the wide part and they came right off. A F.Y.I. I did remove my bar end weights before the start of the job and left them off when done, Theres no doubt they feel so much better and look to damn cool also :-) I had the same ones on my 07 as well. If your interested I can get ya some photos of the finished product and also the part number price and all else
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Aftermarket Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket Grips   Aftermarket Grips I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 5:34 pm

hot grips have heated grips that are an inch longer than stock.
This gives you more real estate to grab for larger hands.
They also have a very nice pwm heating control knob rather than presets.
Back to top Go down

Aftermarket Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket Grips   Aftermarket Grips I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 2:13 pm

DuggleBogey wrote:

Is there any way to ignore a single person's posts? It would help my blood pressure.

I wish I could have ignored his post.

Maybe he meant to be helpful but the way he came across in his post was insulting and rude. I think after 45 years of M/C riding I would know a little bit about the death grip.

And what is this B/S about steering with your feet and legs (ridiculous).

Then there's the unbelievable rant that he goes on about the seat and the size of my butt.

What is this crap about how much I should ride to get used to it. 25K miles?

And to top it off he tells me what I should wear. Man, this guy is full of issues.

Grinsel, if you are reading this, please stop hi-jacking my threads with your irrelevant and unwanted opinions and innuendos.

-Lee
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Aftermarket Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket Grips   Aftermarket Grips I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 2:32 pm

leercguy wrote:
DuggleBogey wrote:

-Lee

Not so much B/S actually. If you apply pressure to the foot plates you can make the machine lean one way or the other. This technique raised its head several years ago on a UK site and I thought rubbish. However I am always willing to try things, so I did and I was surprised that it worked to a degree.

I once questioned the technique of opening the throttle when in a tight low speed corner to tighten the turn even further, until I tried it. Now I use this method daily when riding.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Aftermarket Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket Grips   Aftermarket Grips I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 2:45 pm

If you apply pressure to the foot plates you can make the machine lean one way or the other.

It's one way rowing crews balance racing eights, fours, pairs and single sculls, too.
It's all to do with shifting weight. Smile
Back to top Go down

Aftermarket Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket Grips   Aftermarket Grips I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 3:32 pm

Waspie wrote:
leercguy wrote:
DuggleBogey wrote:

-Lee

Not so much B/S actually. If you apply pressure to the foot plates you can make the machine lean one way or the other. This technique raised its head several years ago on a UK site and I thought rubbish. However I am always willing to try things, so I did and I was surprised that it worked to a degree.

I once questioned the technique of opening the throttle when in a tight low speed corner to tighten the turn even further, until I tried it. Now I use this method daily when riding.

I think it would be ridiculous to argue a point about steering with your feet and legs and weight shifting as compared to rowing when it comes to M/C riding. There is plenty enough to think about without complicating the steering technique. There is no need to even think about steering with your feet on a M/C. Countersteering and leaning is an aquired skill that we usually learn without even thinking about it until someone brings it up for discussion.

The point I was making was that I was looking for information about changing the grips on my S/W and not really needing a lecture on why I would be doing it or other unrelated opinions from someone who doesn't even know me.

-Lee
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Aftermarket Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket Grips   Aftermarket Grips I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 3:36 pm

Lee, unfortunately it's a bi-product of posting on a public forum. Just self filter the crap! A bit like counter steering really!! Laughing
Back to top Go down

Aftermarket Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket Grips   Aftermarket Grips I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 4:12 pm

Waspie wrote:
Lee, unfortunately it's a bi-product of posting on a public forum. Just self filter the crap! A bit like counter steering really!! Laughing

Wink Agreed Wink
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Aftermarket Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket Grips   Aftermarket Grips I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 4:23 pm

Lee you have a PM.
Back to top Go down
crahar
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
crahar

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2009-08-31

Aftermarket Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket Grips   Aftermarket Grips I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 6:02 pm

The grips may work well for some people but we do all come in different sizes so it's not a one size fits all setup. We tend to change things for our own comfort, which some people don't care or think should be done. People with big hands need bigger grips for comfort, my self I wear a size 13 1/2 ring and 4x gloves so I want the biggest grip I can get, I've added the grip puppies and when I find something a little bigger I like thats what I'll go with. It's the same with seats, I'll be the first to admit I need to loose about 80 lbs, it might be easy for John but it's been a lifelong struggle for me I'll soon be 63 and weigh about 10 lbs more than I did in 1965 you can do the math. I don't appreciate his attitude more than anyone else.
I appreciate all the ideas people put forth here and use what I can. It's helped me take care of my Swing and make improvements I would have never attempted otherwise.
Thanks
Craig
Back to top Go down
edbancro
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2009-10-30

Aftermarket Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket Grips   Aftermarket Grips I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 6:17 pm

leercguy wrote:
Has anyone changed their grips? If so what suggestions do you have and can they be changed pretty easily or does it require shop expertise?
-Lee

Back on the original subject... Wink Dennis came up with a cheap alternative to the Grip Puppies (which is saying a lot since they're only $10 to start with Smile ) if you're interested in that sort of modification: https://www.silverwing600.com/silver-wing-accessories-modifications-f5/soft-gripsmake-your-own-t610.htm?highlight=diy+grips
Back to top Go down

Aftermarket Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket Grips   Aftermarket Grips I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 5:21 pm

I still don't know how taking off my underwear makes my grips more comfortable.... Question Razz albino
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Aftermarket Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket Grips   Aftermarket Grips I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 7:00 pm

DuggleBogey wrote:
I still don't know how taking off my underwear makes my grips more comfortable....

Underwear around grips would not be safe bom confused
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Aftermarket Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket Grips   Aftermarket Grips I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 8:45 pm

I'm planning on replacing the grips on my SW with Kuryaykn ISO grips. I've had ISOs with Throttle Bosses on two Goldwings and like them. The OEM gips on my SW do give me some pain in my right hand at the base of my thumb. I use a Cramp Buster on the throttle of my SW. Mine looks like the CB1 model. I shortened up the tongue part of it a bit so only the heel of my hand contacts the tongue part. It's a great help on longer rides.

http://www.crampbuster.com/why_crampbuster.php
Back to top Go down

Aftermarket Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket Grips   Aftermarket Grips I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 9:57 pm

leercguy wrote:

-Lee

Thanx to all. I think I will try the grip puppies. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Aftermarket Grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket Grips   Aftermarket Grips I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Aftermarket Grips
Page 1 of 1