Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeby Mighty Mouse Today at 4:47 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake

Go down 
+11
"Hi Yo"
Meldrew
BlackFly
vmaximus
ulflyer
model28a
bigbird
edbancro
DennisB
Waspie
trouble1100
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2010-04-30

Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake Empty
PostSubject: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 9:20 pm

To do this the safe way use your parking brake to bypass the side stand switch ......... Your scoot will start and run with the side stand down only when the parking brake is on.

Both the parking brake light and the start/run relay need a ground to be activated. How convenient!

The parking brake light gets its ground from a micro switch mounted to the brake handle that you can't get to unless you remove the front tupperware.
The side stand switch closes a ground to the starter relay. You don't want to splice in that area because it will be exposed to all the nasty road grime and gook.
That being the case, let's tap in to the other end of the conductor from those switches.

You will need to have a way to run a small gauge wire (I used 16 stranded) from behind the windshield garnish to left side rear body panel. I think DennisB has an easy way to do this by using the hollow tubing from the running board frame as a conduit. Chime in on this if you will sir.
When I performed the side stand bypass all of my body panels were removed.

To tap in to the parking brake switch ground you will need to remove the windshield garnish. You will see a brown connector feeding the headlights; to the left you will see a metal tab that holds it in place. Bend the tab down far enough to move the brown connector out of the way. To the right of the opening you will find a rubber boot over the two connector packs feeding the information center. Pull the tab on the rubber boot and slide the boot down the harness. Disconnect the lower connector; the lock tab is on the left side. You will see a white with a black trace wire on the bottom part of the connector; this is the trigger ground from the parking brake switch, splice in to this conductor.

Now for the left rear starter relay area, splice in your diode so the flow is from the parking brake trigger to the starter relay. Pull the connector pac from the starter relay and connect your trigger wire to the green with a black trace wire from the side stand switch. Test the bypass and button things up!

BTW, if you don't use a diode your parking brake light will come on when you fold the side stand.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 11:15 am

Bigbird that looks to be a really simple task. Thanks for the pictorial. I understand things when I look at pictures. (Brain now addled) Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 11:49 am

Back to top Go down
edbancro
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2009-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 7:38 pm

I can't believe you would post such an unsafe suggestion! What if someone scraped their knuckle disconnecting that plug or something? I find this post highly inappropriate Wink :lol!:
Back to top Go down
edbancro
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2009-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 7:39 pm

On a serious note, I like your jumper - very creative.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 11:22 am

Acquired a couple of 'jumper' this morning and have seen the connectors. I will carry out the job when my rear wheel is back on my sick S'wing. Crying or Very sad See my thread 'Good to bad day'!!.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 10:12 am

I xxx

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 4:07 pm

Just gone back over the pictorial Bigbird submitted and note now, in hindsight, that the spade connector that was used was of the 'auto' variety. (Halfords style for us Brits). I used a (Shhhhhh don't tell, military spec, as fitted to UK main battle tanks,) type. Seriously tight with sorta spikes to grip onto the pins!

So I'm kinda confident at the moment but I am most grateful to Bigbird for drawing our attention to a potential serious problem.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 8:59 pm

Hi,

Now that I have a Silverwing to look at again...I came up with a locking Kickstand Bypass Connector. Easy to install and it locks in and won't fall out to leave you stranded and scraching your head on the side of the road.

I'll make a few of these if any one wants one. I'm thinking $6.00 and $2.00 shipping for this item. Sorry...Post Office prices now Suck!

dennis.berney@gmail.com

I'm installing one on my scooter tomorrow. sunny

Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake Kickst10

Last edited by DennisB on Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Changed shipping price)
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 11:06 pm

Dennis, you da man. Thank you for making our Silverwings even more enjoyable than Honda has. Now that you have a Wing again, I cant wait to see all the new things you think up that we didn't know we needed. You keep thinking them up and making them and we will keep buying them. At least those that we can afford. I have a wish list and little at a time, as I can afford, I will make that list get smaller.
Back to top Go down
ulflyer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ulflyer

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2011-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 7:45 am

Dennis, do you take paypal?
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 7:49 am

Hi Ted,

Yes, I do...Or personal checks. I'll send you a PM with the information.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 25, 2012 10:26 am

Hi Ted,

You silverwing kickstand bypass connector is on it's way. I also included an 8" tie strap so you can secure the, now un-used, switch connector loosely to your scooters frame to keep it safe.

Thank You,

Dennis sunny
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 12:17 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
vmaximus
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 2:50 pm

I cannot believe so many people want to disconnect the side stand switch,it is there for a safety reason and i cannot see any benefit for doing such an unsafe mod,i know it up to the individuals concerned to do what ever they wish to their scoots and i respect their choise but i don't think that it should be made public on this forum how to do it or advertise the parts required to complete the task,it is dangerous.In my early years of motorcycling the late 60/70's most bikes did not have side stand switches and it was common to see people driving with the side stand down only to find out the fact on the 1st left hand bend.Anyone who has ground the s/stand will till you it is frightening and could throw you off the bike or direct you into oncoming traffic or roadside verge so please do not attempt this mod.I would not like to read on this fine forum that someone has had an accident or a fatality and the insurance would not pay up because of a dangerous mod that serves no purpose.I am sorry if i have offended anyone but i have read this topic on several occasions and every time it makes me shudder just thinking about the consequences.I speak from experience and i have always been lucky but i have seen people with a nasty case of gravel rash and a damaged bike. Don't do it.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 3:03 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
BlackFly
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
BlackFly

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2010-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 3:26 pm

A good reason
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 3:39 pm

BlackFly wrote:
A good reason

Sorry, don't see the connection between racing and disabling a side stand!
Back to top Go down
BlackFly
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
BlackFly

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 3:41 pm

Did you heard the scratching sound shortly before the crash?
What do you think was this? Wink
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 3:49 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 4:09 pm

bigbird wrote:
Waspie wrote:
BlackFly wrote:
A good reason

Sorry, don't see the connection between racing and disabling a side stand!

There was an explanation under the video about the side stand.
However, be happy that we live in a society where freedom of speech is a guaranteed right.

Sorry English is my language, fraid I don't read/speak any other.

I didn't hear any noise and wouldn't make the assumption it was a side stand simply by noise.

Also, there is a subtle difference riding at speed and cornering like a Moto GP rider on a road bike vs accidents with side stands on scooters!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 5:12 pm

I only use for my side stand for mounting and dismounting, or for draining off water after washing. Like vmaximus I remember the days before side stand safety switches when it was all too easy to ride off with it down and I've no wish to back to those days. Disabling it may have advantages, but riding off with the side stand down and crashing could disable you...permanently.

Last edited by Meldrew on Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BlackFly
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
BlackFly

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 5:24 pm

Under the german text:

Don't forget the kickstand!

And the result is the same on the racetrack and on a scooter (also on a scooter you are riding the curve not upright): If you forget the sidestand you will crash your bike in a left turn, sometimes earlier and sometimes later...
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 6:11 pm

[quote="bigbird"]For those that wish to be able to start their Swing with the side stand down, here's the easy way I did it. I don't want to get into a debate over the appropriateness of doing this mod, as that's your final decision. ] This from the opening post on this subject says it all.
Back to top Go down
surlybiker58
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
surlybiker58

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 9:14 pm

I always put my wing up on the center stand when I park
so the switch is not a concern for me .
For those of you who want to bypass the switch , go ahead , it's a free country (or least it used to be)

Just my five cents worth
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3788
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 6:18 am

It would be inappropriate on a responsible forum not to have both pros and cons of such a modification described.

That members feel passionately about them is inevitable.
Where the fault, if there is one, lies is in the interpretation of expression of those feelings as direct criticism of others.
It may well be the case but should not be assumed to be so.

I might say I consider it dangerous but must also state the reasons why.
It is not for someone who holds the contrary view to tell me I'm wrong but to state, as I have, why he holds that view.

Those who have not considered such a modification or may be in doubt as to whether it's wise or not are then in a position to judge for themselves, unhindered by more personal remarks which may cloud the issue.

That's what I think. Smile
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 1:41 pm

surlybiker58 wrote:
For those of you who want to bypass the switch , go ahead , it's a free country (or least it used to be)

Unfortunately your medical care isn't free like ours in the UK, and in the event of an accident caused by you riding off with your side stand down your motorcycle insurance company won't be sympathetic to you deliberately bypassing a safety switch. But go ahead anyway it's a free country.

Just my five pence worth.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 1:52 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 387
Registration date : 2010-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 10:15 am

This is just my opinion, I can't see the value add on this for me and I think it is a bit dangerous for the occasional fair weather rider. The rider who in fact gets angry every time they go to start their scooter and find it not starting due to the side stand switch, so they disable it. I am not saying that everyone that does this mod on their bike is an occasional fair weather rider.

My routine of starting a motorcycle is, side stand up, key on, hit the starter. It has been this routine for 25 years, ever since they started putting side stand switches on motorcycles for safety reasons.

One last thing: Your mod is on the bike. Something happens to you... as in you pass on. Your family sells the scooter to a new rider. New rider hurts themselves on a mod that they inherited. My example is extreme, you could have just forgotten and sold it to the new buyer without remembering to un do the mod for safety sake. You have now put a new rider on an unsafe motorcycle, period.

I am not going to hijack this thread, I am going to merely make a remark that some of the same people who have done this mod and have unquestionably argued the right to do so and that it is safe have attacked others who have decided to mount a car tire on their bike. (Which has never been the cause of an accident.)

SIDE STANDS DOWN CAUSE ACCIDENTS ON LEFT HAND TURNS, NO DOUBT ABOUT IT.

I am just saying..... Rage

Last edited by larryinseattle on Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 10:19 am

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 10:23 am

Well said, on April fools day, but I never said only a fool will do this mod.

I will live on with my car tire on my bike in a corner, the occasional rider will not with his side stand down in a corner.

Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 10:28 am

One last thing.... If I was Dennis, (who has made some great mods available to forum members) I would immediately edit the post offering for sale an item that will alter a safety item for liability reasons.

This mod will cause an accident, no doubt about it, only a matter of time. Forgetting to put up the kick stand is bound to happen no matter how experienced you are.
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 10:44 am

Which ever admin who removed the last comment, I thank you. It shows your character and the character of that poster.

Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 10:56 am

x

Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 11:26 am

If I didn't know better, I would think you have a bird brain, but you don't as I know you have good mechanical sense. It is your human interaction that needs improvement. Attacking people who have an different opinion than yours is something that we learn to do on the play ground.

Later on in life, one should learn that it is ok to have different opinions and allow others to share them without personal attacks and snide remarks.

You are 61 and soon to be 62. Time to grow up.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 11:34 am

x

Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 11:42 am

bigbird wrote:
You sound like my mother.
At least she's smart enough not to disable her side stand safety bypass switch. And I'm pretty sure she's not using a scooter tire on her car.

Perhaps you should listen to your mother.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 11:47 am

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
vmaximus
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 12:03 pm

I have to apologise to all members it seems like i have started an inter forum argument about disabling the s/stand swich but it was only my fear that some one may cause themselves some damage in the event of an accident and i would'nt like to hear of it through this forum.I still think passionately that it is a mod that should not be attempted by either novice or mature rider but i also recognise the fact that it is upto each indvidual to do what ever mod they wish to their bikes .Just because someone does or does not agree doesn't not make either party right so now it is time to put this topic to bed and get back to posting and reading topics on a forum without any arguments. My apologies to you all.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 12:08 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:57 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 12:14 pm

I think the minority opinion is a very important opinion. It is good to hear the pros and cons before striking out on something.

Thank you Vmax for voicing your opinion about disabling a safety feature that was designed for absent minded people. I obviously share your views on this and it also frustrates me whenever I do forget to raise my kickstand, but that safety switch reminds me to do it.

Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 12:28 pm

x

Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 12:35 pm

bigbird wrote:
larryinseattle wrote:
it also frustrates me whenever I do forget to raise my kickstand, but that safety switch reminds me to do it.

What happens when you ride your Goldwing?
I was riding with a Goldwing owner last year and he could start his Gwing on the sidestand. Is there no bypass on the Gwing, did he disable it, or will the Gwing shut down automatically if you put it in gear with the side stand down?

You can start the bike in neutral on the side stand. The minute you put it in gear, it dies. My 03 Volusia would start and you could put it in gear and it would still idle but when you tried to take off, it would not elevate the rpm above idle. My 06 Boulevard (same as the Volusia, different name but fuel injection added) would not stay running when put into gear.

The difference here is that the Silverwing does not have a neutral. The handbrake is not neutral.

Do what you want to do to your bike, but often times these mods stay on the bike and become legacy for the life of the bike.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 1:00 pm

x

Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 1:06 pm

I just hope that I put that little nagging fear in the back of your mind that this mod is unsafe and that you would THINK about un doing the mod. Note I said, THINK.

As I thought about putting the car tire on the back of my Goldwing, I listened to others and made a good decision. There is no nagging fear in the back of my mind about my car tire decision.... as you have none in yours.

For the others reading this that have the ability to think about safety would not chew on lead weights while fishing; nor would they smoke or text while riding their scooter.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 1:08 pm

x

Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 1:29 pm

bigbird wrote:
"I thought about putting the car tire on the back of my Goldwing, I listened to others and made a good decision."

You think you made a good decision.
Others, not so much.

Well I got 18,000 miles on that tire and it is good to go for another 14,000 before it needs replacement with no side effects. 1/2 the price and twice the wear and it holds the road better. How can you argue with that?

Sorry to hijack this thread. It was not my intention to turn this into a darkside decision. I was merely comparing that decision to the side stand mod.

Again, the side stand mod will cause an accident in the future, no doubt about it. IT WILL CAUSE AN ACCIDENT.... maybe not you but perhaps when your son borrows your bike, you will be responsible for creating a hazardous condition for your loved one.

I'm out.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 1:36 pm

x

Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 2:08 pm

bigbird wrote:

Enough already.
We got your message, loud & clear.

Perfect... Now let someone else have the last word.... just once in your life. Try it. I dare you.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 2:13 pm

x

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next