Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Additional DC Generator I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Additional DC Generator I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Additional DC Generator I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Additional DC Generator I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Additional DC Generator I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Additional DC Generator I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Additional DC Generator I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Additional DC Generator I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Additional DC Generator I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Additional DC Generator I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Additional DC Generator

Go down 
+3
Hammy
eddy
DennisB
7 posters
AuthorMessage
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Additional DC Generator Empty
PostSubject: Additional DC Generator   Additional DC Generator I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 7:48 am

Hi All, Remember...this is just a thought!

Was just thinking of a way to get more power for more lights and accessories on the Silverwing. Now this is just in the idea stage. If anyone wants to develope this ...Head on. Here it is.

Off the rear axle, a small DC generator could be mounted. Not very big...may be 1.5" x 5" dia. and sealed from water and dust.

The rear axle nut is removed and a new axle nut/extender is installed in it's place, rotating the armature inside a fixed stator. Yeah, that would work.

Any one want this....it's yours. Have fun!

Of course, you would only be generating DC volage when going down the road.
Back to top Go down
eddy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2009-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Additional DC Generator   Additional DC Generator I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 8:29 am

Hello Dennis,

Is there a problem with the capacity of the DC generator?
Feeding what items?

Your solution seems to me complex.

Back to top Go down
http://edho@operamail.com
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Additional DC Generator   Additional DC Generator I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 8:54 am

Hey, Dennis, that's a great idea. Anything that can boost the capacity would be great. Eddy, items that draw a lot include heated clothing, auxiliary lights, electronics. A full heated suit (just pants, jacket and gloves) can knock out close to 300 watts by itself. Add to that the power you need to start the bike and keep things running, and you'll be draining the battery once you go below 4500rpm or so.

Dennis, would this be fitted between the exhaust and the bike? Just trying to picture exactly how it would be done...
Back to top Go down
http://www.ezridersscooterclub.com
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Additional DC Generator   Additional DC Generator I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 9:11 am

Hi Hammy,

It would work right off the rear axle and would be centered on that location. Aux gen would be attached to the swing arm. If you put your scooter on the center stand and spin the rear wheel, you will see the axle nut spinning, This is a great place to attach a small DC voltage generating device.
Back to top Go down
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Additional DC Generator   Additional DC Generator I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 9:46 am

I would love to test out something like this but have to make sure it doesn't stick out so much that it becomes victim to road debris... I plan on these farkles for when I finally start going on adventure rallies:

Touchscreen computer with GPS and internet access
Radar detector
External speakers with amp
LOUD airhorn
Helmet speakers
XM/AM/FM radio
Dual GPSes (1 displaying route, the backup displaying trip information)
Audio integrator
Conspicuity lights (I have 10Watt LEDs)
Auxiliary lights (maybe 30Watt HIDs)
Accent LED lighting under frame and wheelwells
Auxiliary fuel (probably a 3 gallon tourtank (with foam limiting the actual capacity to 2.8 gallons so I can be under 7 gallons total and not be required to keep a fuel log on events)
Voltmeter
Hydration system

See how electricity can be used up? :lol!: Some folks in the IBA use Dash shelves. I would probably mount the computer on a box that would fit over the tunnel but can be easily removed when I need to fill up the tank. The wires and chargers could all be inside the box. The GPSes would be on Dennis' center mount, the radio on one reservoir, voltmeter and control switchbox on the other reservoir, and the radar on the dash. Speakers maybe mounted on the glovebox lids.

Hey, I can dream!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ezridersscooterclub.com
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Additional DC Generator   Additional DC Generator I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 11:54 am

What if??
what if one could set up a generator which would charge the system and go to an Aux battery as well. Generators are only really electric motors, so one could in fact use a 12volt motor which charges while going in one direction but also drives when switched to go in the other. See the benefit? Reverse gear! All for the price of an old starter motor, 12 v electric clutch and some electrickery.
The hardest bit would be making a bracket to hold it all together. All the binking lights one could mount on the dash.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Additional DC Generator   Additional DC Generator I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 1:00 pm

Hi All,

Just found this on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQiLKdv67FE&NR=1

This guy need s to be on some one's team. Basketball
Back to top Go down
Atlanticfun
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2009-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Additional DC Generator   Additional DC Generator I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 4:10 pm

Just pull the stator and have it rewound. It's the same as having the altenator rewound for cars. Lol! You guys are funny sometimes.
Back to top Go down
Sweendog
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Sweendog

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Additional DC Generator   Additional DC Generator I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 4:19 pm

Atlanticfun wrote:
Just pull the stator and have it rewound. It's the same as having the altenator rewound for cars. Lol! You guys are funny sometimes.

How much more juice do you think you could get out of a re-wound stator? Seems like it will be somewhat limited for space in the stator housing...
Back to top Go down
Atlanticfun
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2009-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Additional DC Generator   Additional DC Generator I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 4:26 pm

well...... If you take a 130 from a subaru and have it rewound it right it uses the same housing and will make 180. ... so quite a jump.

It is a matter of the number of windings rather than the size.
Back to top Go down
crahar
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
crahar

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2009-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Additional DC Generator   Additional DC Generator I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 7:44 pm

Just add one of Dennis B's trailer hitches and one of these you'll have all the power you need.Additional DC Generator 60kw-410 Wink
Craig
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Additional DC Generator   Additional DC Generator I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 8:55 pm

Hi Guys,

Found this little beauty on Ebay. Price is high, but the specs. are close to be a contender in this application.

OEM(s): Kubota 15531-64017,
Voltage: 12 Volts
Amps: 14 Amps
Approximate Weight: 3.12 lbs / 1.42 kg

Additional DC Generator Kg110

Additional DC Generator Kg210
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Additional DC Generator   Additional DC Generator I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Additional DC Generator
Page 1 of 1