Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, Welcome to the Silverwing 600 Forum. We ask that you be polite and also introduce yourself on your 1st post. The members are friendly and helpful so just have fun. There is www.maxi-scoots.com site that is geared for all scooters and motorcycles.
 
HomeGallerySearchRegisterLog in
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Help. No head light
final gear oil I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 8:09 pm

» 2021 PCX150
final gear oil I_icon_minitimeby Chris Olson Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:39 am

» Missing my S/Wing
final gear oil I_icon_minitimeby sonuvabug Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:04 am

» hello Corbin "silverwinged" Sparrow
final gear oil I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:58 am

» Hello from SWFL
final gear oil I_icon_minitimeby Sid Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:41 pm

» December 2021 forum photo
final gear oil I_icon_minitimeby Michel Vachon Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:15 pm

» My recent ride.
final gear oil I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:02 am

» Under seat light and courtesy switch
final gear oil I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:50 pm

» Introduction
final gear oil I_icon_minitimeby sonuvabug Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:49 am

» A boomer of a ride.
final gear oil I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:30 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 Profile
 FAQ
 Search
free forum
 
 

 final gear oil

Go down 
+3
Slick-Tenn
JeffR
DennisB
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Guest
Guest




final gear oil Empty
PostSubject: final gear oil   final gear oil I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 8:52 am

Where do I find the drain and fill plug on my newly purchased used silverwing?
Also, what type of oil or lube is specified?
Also, why is this not in the owners manual?
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru



Number of posts : 2778
Age : 71
Location : NE Oklahoma
Points : 8014
Registration date : 2008-12-28

final gear oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: final gear oil   final gear oil I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 9:13 am

Hi mle,

Welcome to the forum.

Here is the information you requested: https://www.silverwing600.com/pictorials-how-to-perform-maintenance-f21/changing-the-final-drive-oil-pictorial-t200.htm#943

and as far as what type of oil to use...I just use the same oil I use in the motor.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR


Number of posts : 2581
Age : 62
Location : Bay Area, Ca
Points : 7562
Registration date : 2008-12-19

final gear oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: final gear oil   final gear oil I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 12:23 pm

mle,

Welcome to the site and hope you enjoy it. If you follow the link that Dennis gave you won't have to remove any covers at all and it is very simple. Just get some type of oil can with a long nozzle to fill your oil through the small hole. I have gear oil in it now but I think I will be putting the motor oil back in. If you read some of the posts about the final drive oil I'm thinking that syn motor oil may be better. Again welcome.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Slick-Tenn
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider



Number of posts : 47
Points : 4215
Registration date : 2010-07-19

final gear oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: final gear oil   final gear oil I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 1:25 pm

mle wrote:
Where do I find the drain and fill plug on my newly purchased used silverwing?
Also, what type of oil or lube is specified?
Also, why is this not in the owners manual?
I too recently purchased an 03. I called my local Honda dealer and he said they use "Honda Gear Oil" - whatever that is. I drained out the old and it smelled like gear oil, so replaced it with 10 oz (the exact same amt I drained out) of Amsoil Severe Gear 80W90.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru



Number of posts : 2412
Location : Winnipeg
Points : 6854
Registration date : 2010-05-02

final gear oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: final gear oil   final gear oil I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 1:32 pm

Slick-Tenn wrote:
I too recently purchased an 03. I called my local Honda dealer and he said they use "Honda Gear Oil" - whatever that is. I drained out the old and it smelled like gear oil, so replaced it with 10 oz (the exact same amt I drained out) of Amsoil Severe Gear 80W90.

My Honda dealer just uses whatever the service manual suggests, and that's Honda 10W-30 motor oil.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru



Number of posts : 2778
Age : 71
Location : NE Oklahoma
Points : 8014
Registration date : 2008-12-28

final gear oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: final gear oil   final gear oil I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 1:45 pm

Hi All,

This is what the Honda shop manual says:

Recommended final reduction oil.

Pro Honda GN4 or HP4 (Without molybdenum additives)
4-stroke oil or equivalent motor oil
API service classification: SG or Higher
JASO T903 standard: MA
Viscosity: SAE 10W-40

That's right from Honda, use anything you want....It's your bike but the manual is pretty straght forward about this!
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru



Number of posts : 2412
Location : Winnipeg
Points : 6854
Registration date : 2010-05-02

final gear oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: final gear oil   final gear oil I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 2:01 pm

DennisB wrote:
Hi All,

This is what the Honda shop manual says:

Recommended final reduction oil.

Pro Honda GN4 or HP4 (Without molybdenum additives)
4-stroke oil or equivalent motor oil
API service classification: SG or Higher
JASO T903 standard: MA
Viscosity: SAE 10W-40

That's right from Honda, use anything you want....It's your bike but the manual is pretty straght forward about this!

That's strange, Dennis.
My factory service manual specs are:
Pro Honda GN4 4 stroke oil (USA and Canada) or equivalent
API: SG or higher
JASO T903 standard: MA
Viscosity: SAE 10W-30

Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru



Number of posts : 2778
Age : 71
Location : NE Oklahoma
Points : 8014
Registration date : 2008-12-28

final gear oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: final gear oil   final gear oil I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 2:16 pm

Hey bigbird, That's not strange...You must have a newer Honda shop manual then I have. Mines 2002 thru 2006.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru



Number of posts : 2412
Location : Winnipeg
Points : 6854
Registration date : 2010-05-02

final gear oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: final gear oil   final gear oil I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 2:36 pm

DennisB wrote:
Hey bigbird, That's not strange...You must have a newer Honda shop manual then I have. Mines 2002 thru 2006.

Well what's strange is that my manual applies for all years of Swing, 02-10. If something is specific to older models it's mentioned. So I assume that sometime after '06 Honda decided to spec 10W-30 for all Swing final drives.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO


Number of posts : 3539
Age : 72
Location : Seaham, Co Durham, UK
Points : 8306
Registration date : 2009-06-29

final gear oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: final gear oil   final gear oil I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 3:47 pm

I think it's the same for other manufacturers; Piaggio have the same handbook for all X9s.....I think there were up to nine variants.
This resulted in customers being ripped off on occasions as service intervals were different on some models - the dealers always went for the shortest!
The last ones had service intervals stretched from 4000 to 6000 miles but the books didn't change.
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520


Number of posts : 378
Location : Cornelius NC
Points : 4710
Registration date : 2010-02-28

final gear oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: final gear oil   final gear oil I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 9:50 pm

bigbird wrote:
DennisB wrote:
Hi All,

This is what the Honda shop manual says:

Recommended final reduction oil.

Pro Honda GN4 or HP4 (Without molybdenum additives)
4-stroke oil or equivalent motor oil
API service classification: SG or Higher
JASO T903 standard: MA
Viscosity: SAE 10W-40

That's right from Honda, use anything you want....It's your bike but the manual is pretty straght forward about this!

That's strange, Dennis.
My factory service manual specs are:
Pro Honda GN4 4 stroke oil (USA and Canada) or equivalent
API: SG or higher
JASO T903 standard: MA
Viscosity: SAE 10W-30



Could your manual be specific to Canada? A lower viscosity could be fine in cooler temperatures, just like with engine oil.

BTW, my 2002-2003 FSC600 Honda Service Manual calls for 10w-40 for both the engine and final reduction.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru



Number of posts : 2412
Location : Winnipeg
Points : 6854
Registration date : 2010-05-02

final gear oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: final gear oil   final gear oil I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 12:21 am

buddy19520 wrote:

Could your manual be specific to Canada?

No, I got it from Helm in the US.
I think that the newer Swing's have a different spec for oil, for whatever reason.
Back to top Go down
GaryL
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GaryL


Number of posts : 237
Age : 69
Location : Casa Grande, Arizona
Points : 4426
Registration date : 2010-07-09

final gear oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: final gear oil   final gear oil I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 1:27 am

My dealer told me that in 2006, Honda decided that the lighter weight oil provided 'sufficient' lubrication, so changed their recommendations to 10W-30 from 10W-40, although 10W-40 is still listed in the Service manual as acceptable under all conditions, just like 10W-30. This was also true with the GoldWing. Honda cars now use 5W-20 oil. The thinner oil makes for a slight improvement is gas mileage, all else being equal, or so they tell me.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru



Number of posts : 2412
Location : Winnipeg
Points : 6854
Registration date : 2010-05-02

final gear oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: final gear oil   final gear oil I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 8:47 am

GaryL wrote:
My dealer told me that in 2006, Honda decided that the lighter weight oil provided 'sufficient' lubrication, so changed their recommendations to 10W-30 from 10W-40, although 10W-40 is still listed in the Service manual as acceptable under all conditions, just like 10W-30. This was also true with the GoldWing. Honda cars now use 5W-20 oil. The thinner oil makes for a slight improvement is gas mileage, all else being equal, or so they tell me.

Finally, a dealer who appears to know something about the products they sell. A rare bird these days, it seems.
Back to top Go down
 
final gear oil
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» All Ireland colleges senior league final DIT v UCC
» Top Gear USA next week, one of our wagons represented?
» Transmission & gear-case fill, drain and oil
» 4WD Recovery gear what do you use?
» AA Tour Final in Perth to be live streamed on WCSN

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Maintenance, Tips and Hints-
Jump to: