Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
helmets - International Use I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 1:54 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
helmets - International Use I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
helmets - International Use I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
helmets - International Use I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
helmets - International Use I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
helmets - International Use I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
helmets - International Use I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
helmets - International Use I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
helmets - International Use I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
helmets - International Use I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

helmets - International Use

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

helmets - International Use Empty
PostSubject: helmets - International Use   helmets - International Use I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 3:11 pm

Does anyone have any knowledge / experience of using their own helmet in other countries? I'm specifically interested in European helmets being used in US. My actual helmet is a Schuberth C2. I realise that the answers maybe complicated by the various State laws but any input would be appreciated.
Cheers
tarmacburner2
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: helmets - International Use   helmets - International Use I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 3:40 pm

tarmacburner2 wrote:
Does anyone have any knowledge / experience of using their own helmet in other countries? I'm specifically interested in European helmets being used in US.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/pedbimot/motorcycle/unsafehelmetid/pages/page2.htm
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: helmets - International Use   helmets - International Use I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 9:35 pm

I ridden in Japan, Korea and most of Europe----with my now DOT helmets. Nobody ever bothered me over a 50 year period.

In US, where maybe half the states don't even have helmet laws, no body will bother you----helmet on head, cop assumes ok----look at what the cruiser and chopper people do, skull caps and everything seems ok until you fall on head.

Don't worry.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: helmets - International Use   helmets - International Use I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 12:28 am

Here is where DOT "replacement" helmet stickers can be purchased. helmets - International Use Icon_razz

http://www.helmet-stickers.com/xcart/home.php
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: helmets - International Use   helmets - International Use I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 8:25 am

The Schuberth C2 is very popular with the BMW crowd here in the US. And if purchased here in the states it has the "DOT" required stickers, but appears to be the same helmet. My wife and I have Caberg Justissimos (no longer available in US) and they have DOT stickers, but I've seem photos of the helmet on Italian sites and they did not have DOT stickers.

The European standard is actually a bit more stringent, but is not recognized in the states. The DOT test is an additional test that manufacturers have to pay to perform and comply with. Some European helmets that are approved to the European standard are not available in the states because the manufacturer does not pay to play in the DOT world - I don't blame them.

I'd say that a Schuberth C2 is good to go here in the US even if it does not have a DOT sticker.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: helmets - International Use   helmets - International Use I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

helmets - International Use
Page 1 of 1