Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Final Drive Noise banished
Ride To Memphis I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Rear shock longevity
Ride To Memphis I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Yesterday at 10:55 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Ride To Memphis I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Ride To Memphis I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Ride To Memphis I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Ride To Memphis I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Ride To Memphis I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Ride To Memphis I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Ride To Memphis I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Ride To Memphis I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Ride To Memphis

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ronjr009
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ronjr009

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Ride To Memphis Empty
PostSubject: Ride To Memphis   Ride To Memphis I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 8:08 pm

Rode 500 Miles today. This is the most I have ever ridden in one day. Very tired. It was so hot and humid as it was in the mid to upper 90's in West Tennessee. Much different than in the beautiful mountains of East Tennessee. We took scenic roads for the most part and stayed of the Interstated except for a couple of spots. We rarely got over 65 indicated riding two up with a topcase and no saddlebags and averaged 47-49 miles on each tank so I was happy enough with that. This is such a diverse state in terms of landscape but that is a good thing in many ways. Gonna kick back in the hotel and enjoy the air conditioning and then it is off to Corky's for some BBQ!
Back to top Go down
ronjr009
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ronjr009

Ride To Memphis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ride To Memphis   Ride To Memphis I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 7:35 pm

Back from Memphis. Added 1,200 miles to the odometer overall. Always in a hurry to get back so we took the interstate and were not lolligagging. Everyone was flying on I-40 so we had to keep up somewhat not to get run over. We ran at 80 Indicated a good portion of the way (and a little faster for brief intervals to get by trucks with rocks shooting at me) and were still getting passed by about 25% of the cars it seemed. I estimate that me speedo is off about 3 MPH at this speed based on previous encounters with the courtesy speed machines provided by the local police so I am sure I was going at least 76-77. We did not do so well on fuel consumption. I've never run this fast solidly for an entire tank and only manage a measly average of 37-39 on the different tanks run. This was riding two up with a top case. 80 MPH eats a lot more fuel than even running between 70-75 but I'm not surpised. Saw several Burgmans, a majesty, but no fellow Swingers. School is getting ready to start so summer fun is over. The wife and I will have to wait until the fall we can head for a nice cool weekend trip.
Back to top Go down
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2009-10-06

Ride To Memphis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ride To Memphis   Ride To Memphis I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 10:09 pm

glad you had a good trip.

Knoxville is one of the WORST towns that I have ridden through. They seem to see how fast and how close they can get to you. Not counting on cutting you off. AAt least it's only for an hour or so.
MaxB (going through again in August to get to the Smokies)
Back to top Go down
ronjr009
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ronjr009

Ride To Memphis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ride To Memphis   Ride To Memphis I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 10:21 pm

Yes, K-Town can be a scary place. I had a close call in Memphis with some guy paying more attention to his cell phone than his mirror. fortunately, I kind of half way expected him to pull into my lane and there was plenty of room to slow down and move over to the shoulder. I am okay riding on interstates but boy I sure do hate metro areas on interstates. If you come down from Lexington, KY area.... A good way to bypass Knoxville is to take 25-E from Corbin, KY into Newport, TN. You can pick up I-40 in Newport and hit the Smokies from U.S. 321 without ever going through Knoxville. And...... the added bonus is that you'll get to see Cumberland Gap which is really nice. Also, if you continue on 25 from Newport, you can hit some beautiful stretches into Hot Springs, N.C. and right into Asheville.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Ride To Memphis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ride To Memphis   Ride To Memphis I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 1:25 am

MaxB wrote:
Knoxville is one of the WORST towns that I have ridden through. They seem to see how fast and how close they can get to you. Not counting on cutting you off.

I was in Knoxville this morning in my Honda Accord I-40 with four lanes, when some idiot passed me on my left with his car half in his lane and half in my lane Ride To Memphis Icon_evil for the entire length ... so it was very intentional.
Back to top Go down

Ride To Memphis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ride To Memphis   Ride To Memphis I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 12:23 pm

Just shows ta go ya, we aren't safe no matter whether we are riding on or in a vehicle.
They are out to get us.

Ride safe all y'all! Ride To Memphis Suspect Ride To Memphis Suspect
Back to top Go down
crahar
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
crahar

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2009-08-31

Ride To Memphis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ride To Memphis   Ride To Memphis I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 6:28 pm

Yep. We're all targets no matter what we ride or drive, too many people drive like me for me to fill safe on the road.
Craig Ride To Memphis Bom
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ride To Memphis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ride To Memphis   Ride To Memphis I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ride To Memphis
Page 1 of 1