Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
World Cup  2010 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 4:10 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
World Cup  2010 I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Yesterday at 10:29 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
World Cup  2010 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 4:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
World Cup  2010 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
World Cup  2010 I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:36 am

» New to Me Swing
World Cup  2010 I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
World Cup  2010 I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:29 am

» peace, love and life
World Cup  2010 I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
World Cup  2010 I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
World Cup  2010 I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:16 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

World Cup 2010

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

World Cup  2010 Empty
PostSubject: World Cup 2010   World Cup  2010 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 11, 2010 1:44 pm

Well,

We are watching the World Cup now. It is Nederlands against Spain and it is 0-0 and the 2nd overtime now. My wife is Dutch so she is really excited about Holland winning this thing. I don't know much at all about soccer but what I have seen, I'm not too excited about the refs. It seems they miss important calls when anyone trys to score. I think they need more refs on the field or instant replay.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3788
Registration date : 2009-06-29

World Cup  2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: World Cup 2010   World Cup  2010 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 11, 2010 1:53 pm

The trouble is that the 'professional' players are both over-paid and cheats.
They have no honour - if they treated football as a game there'd be little need for a referee.
Back to top Go down

World Cup  2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: World Cup 2010   World Cup  2010 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 11, 2010 6:39 pm

MikeO, I have to agree. I've seen some nasty acts done to opposing players, and some pretty poor referees. I would have carded many more players.
It is a great game, too bad there isn't a lot of appreciation for the game here in the states.

Ride safe!
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

World Cup  2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: World Cup 2010   World Cup  2010 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 11, 2010 7:14 pm

wes_ingram wrote:
MikeO, I have to agree. I've seen some nasty acts done to opposing players, and some pretty poor referees. I would have carded many more players.

I was surprised that the Holland vs Spain referees yellow carded everyone but yet failed to red card this check out the video ( http://www.worldcupblog.org/world-cup-2010/nigel-de-jongs-karate-kick-on-xabi-alonso.html )

World Cup  2010 Capt.3ffeff8f34304373aca0122d29c7ef63-3ffeff8f34304373aca0122d29c7ef63-0
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3788
Registration date : 2009-06-29

World Cup  2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: World Cup 2010   World Cup  2010 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 1:43 am

I think everyone was surprised but it seemed likely the referee was unsighted/ in the 'wrong' position.
I refereed junior football for 30 years and know the difficulties even with youngsters....... and with adults? - no thanks!

I listened to the Today programme on BBC Radio 4 this morning and it was pointed out that the onus is on the players, especially the leading Internationals, to 'play the game' and behave properly.
Clearly they did not.

There has been much criticism of the Dutch team and their aggressive approach but I watched the whole match and it was abundantly clear that the Spaniards set out to stifle the game to keep the Dutch out of it.

It's time for technology to take a part, IMHO, but I am convinced that players showing dissent in the way both teams did yesterday should be sent immediately from the pitch, if only to a Rugby-style 'sin-bin' for ten minutes.
I don't know about the major sports in the US but Cricket, Tennis, Rugby of both sorts and most others played here do not tolerate arguing, nor do the players do it very often, with the referee/umpire/judge.

It needs also to be recognised that most officials at these events are amateurs at least and semi-professionals at best. Football referees get match fees and expenses but little else unless things have changed recently. That is not to say they don't know what they're doing - most of them have played themselves and, unlike most of the people they referee, are professionals with brains in their own fields.

The referee last night was under pressure from all sides; the players, of course, the organisers and the world public who wanted to see a match worthy of the World Cup. To send off several players would have destroyed it completely - it is the players and they alone who must take responsibilty for what happened.

Frankly, I can only tolerate the game now - it has degenerated into a very poor sport, ruled by the players who set very bad examples*, are paid (I won't say 'earn') far too much money and give precious little value for it.

*I spent many years telling my children that spitting on the pitch was neither necessary nor hygienic!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

World Cup  2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: World Cup 2010   World Cup  2010 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

World Cup 2010
Page 1 of 1