Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Final Drive Noise banished
Oil Changing Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Rear shock longevity
Oil Changing Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Yesterday at 10:55 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Oil Changing Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Oil Changing Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Oil Changing Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Oil Changing Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Oil Changing Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Oil Changing Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Oil Changing Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Oil Changing Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Oil Changing Pictorial

Go down 
+35
GHM-PM
Bobcat1948
roders
Okiedolkle
saninpwnzor
Cosmic_Jumper
madwolf33
tinman
jmaslak
Ishkatan
tarmacburner2
Nic23
"Hi Yo"
vbanks1956
NWSSC
JeffR_
tubeck
bikerboy
bob wells
joncallihan
SilverwingInIdaho
model28a
redeye
DennisB
smorkle
BlackFly
mitch
bigbird
Jim Cater
russcarver
honda_silver
theop
cruiser
DenGraham
JeffR
39 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Oil Changing Pictorial - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Oil Changing Pictorial   Oil Changing Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 12:32 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi,

I changed my oil today and took some pictures and decided to make a "Pictorial" of how I did it. This is really just for those who don't know how to change the oil, or for those that think that they aren't mechanically inclined enough to do this. It is one of the easiest types of maintenance that you can do. If you already know how, or have worked on things before, you probably already know this or have a better way to do it. This just works good for me.

(PDF Format)

Last edited by JeffR on Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:58 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com

AuthorMessage
madwolf33
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2014-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Oil Changing Pictorial   Oil Changing Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 2:59 pm

thanks for the pics it not time for my first oil change yet but now I know where everything is . but I will say this and it might just be me. but I would run the old oil filter for 100,000 miles before I ever ran a fram oil filter for 10 miles. but what is a good oil to run in it.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Oil Changing Pictorial   Oil Changing Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 3:35 pm

madwolf,

I'm glad the Pictorial will help you.  You may want to change your "Final Drive Oil" at the same time.  There is a Pictorial for that as well.  I have a Pictorial that is different than what the manual says.  With mine you only need an open end wrench and a small oil can.  The manual has you removing all sorts of stuff.

https://www.silverwing600.com/t200-changing-the-final-drive-oil-pictorial
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Oil Changing Pictorial   Oil Changing Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 4:23 pm

I've got 90,000+ miles on my '03 and used Mobil 1 10w-40 Full Synthetic, NON ENERGY CONSERVING oil since the first oil change. Lately I've switched to the High Mileage version of that oil. It's usually much cheaper in 5 qt jugs at Walmart.

Others will chime in with differing opinions.

Tim
Back to top Go down
saninpwnzor
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2015-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Oil Changing Pictorial   Oil Changing Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2015 5:23 pm

thx for post.
very helpful
I myself changing oil
most of the Castrol 10v30
Last time I only oil without filters.
I could not find
otherwise all ok works.
thanks to images
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Oil Changing Pictorial   Oil Changing Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2015 6:45 pm

Glad the pictorial helped you out.
Back to top Go down
Okiedolkle
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Okiedolkle

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2012-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Oil Changing Pictorial   Oil Changing Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2015 1:32 pm

That's me in a nutshell ... mechanically challenged.  LUV the pictorals and the dialogue underneath each.   I  may even undertake an oil change.  THANKS!
Homer
chickendance
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Oil Changing Pictorial - Page 2 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Oil Changing Pictorial   Oil Changing Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2015 2:39 pm

Okiedolkle wrote:
That's me in a nutshell ... mechanically challenged.  LUV the pictorals and the dialogue underneath each.   I  may even undertake an oil change.  THANKS!
Homer
chickendance

Be sure to read the part about using a 6 pt (not 12pt)  24mm socket to remove the oil drain plug. I picked mine up at Auto Zone. I did mine and I would probably make you look like a master technician.   Laughing
Back to top Go down
roders
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2015-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Oil Changing Pictorial   Oil Changing Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2015 10:15 pm

so you add the oil through the dipstick hole?
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Oil Changing Pictorial - Page 2 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Oil Changing Pictorial   Oil Changing Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2015 10:31 pm

roders wrote:
so you add the oil through the dipstick hole?
     Yes. I used a long funnel to avoid dripping oil.
Back to top Go down
roders
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2015-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Oil Changing Pictorial   Oil Changing Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 7:01 pm

I made my first oil change today. I knew it would not get into the shop for its 600 mile service until its got about 1100 miles since I ride it a lot. I am currently at 760 miles and my service center / dealer is a hundred miles away. so it got the Squatty Scott oil and lube special. Until I can get it in there on July 15.

The pictoral was helpful, thanks for posting it. For those who might be dreading trying it, its all right there and easy to get to. The filter and tappit are maybe 6 inches apart and when you lay down on the right side and look they are right there. So save yourself some bucks and do this yourself, you can probably get a 12 pack of beer with the $ you save. I am still taking it in for its 600 mile service, but it will probably be its second 600 mile service.
Back to top Go down
Bobcat1948
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2015-08-16

PostSubject: This is NOT a smart thing to do, it is NOT good for the engine running any amount of time with no oil   Oil Changing Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2016 8:49 pm

Guest wrote:
Nice pictures and description Jeff. When i change my oil after i drain the oil, remove the filter and the oil dip stick. I then start my engine and let it run for about 2 to 3 seconds. You would be surprised, about another half quart comes out. So instead of putting in 2.25 quarts it takes 2.75 quarts. which is about 20% to 25% more of the old oil your getting out.

I know some people might say " your running the engine without oil".
but there is oil residual on all the part and when you start an engine for the first couple of seconds there isn't oil pressure anyway. It takes a short time to build up oil pressure and that is why the oil light stays on for a short time when you start your bike. This shouldn't hurt your bike, but does remove more of the old oil and lets you put more fresh oil in.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2551
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Oil Changing Pictorial   Oil Changing Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2016 3:53 pm

I totally agree, why risk running your engine with no oil? Advantages are few and the disadvantage could be disastrous! I change my oil when warm/hot. Less convenient (use plastic gloves) but warm oil runs out like water. Same effect basically w/o starting the motor...
Back to top Go down
Boating123
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2015-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Oil Changing Pictorial   Oil Changing Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 26, 2017 9:59 am

Should I need to change the oil on my 2005 silverwing.. since the last 2 years I only rode it less then 100 miles ? I do put stabilizers in the gas for the winter when I don't use it..

thx for the response.

Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Oil Changing Pictorial   Oil Changing Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 26, 2017 10:20 am

Boating123, IMHO yes I would change it, when I bought mine it had been stored, one of the first things I did was change oil and filter and final drive. Latter in the fall / winter season I put a new drive belt on changed the air filter and cleaned up the final drive. t was a peace of mind thing for me knowing all was right.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Oil Changing Pictorial   Oil Changing Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 26, 2017 1:15 pm

My 2¢: If full synthetic oil was used in that "most recent" oil change then I don't see the need for changing. Full synthetic oil doesn't break down and prevents condensation from forming in the engine parts. Full synthetic oil sitting in your engine isn't going to degrate any more so than if it was still in the can sitting on the shelf.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Max Q
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2017-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Oil Changing Pictorial   Oil Changing Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2018 8:20 am

Great info, Thanks
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1982
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Oil Changing Pictorial   Oil Changing Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2018 12:58 pm

Boating123 wrote:
Should I need to change the oil on my 2005 silverwing.. since the last 2 years I only rode it less then 100 miles ? I do put stabilizers in the gas for the winter when I don't use it..

thx for the response.

When I know it's going to be my last ride I dump in about 1/2 can of Seafoam then fill it up and drive it around for a few miles to get the mixture circulated well. If I do happen to get a nice day and go for a ride I again do the Seafoam thing. I've never had a problem doing that.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the oil with that few miles on it. However, I'd make sure that at least one ride was long enough to heat the engine up good and evaporate any, if any, moisture that might be in the oil. On a short ride condensation can build up in the oil. I make sure I put at least 50 miles on it to evaporate any moisture.

My 2 cents.

Also, like oldwingguy said, If you bought it and haven't changed the oil then I would change it. Mine sat for two years under a tarp in FL when I got it. Not counting tires, battery etc. the first thing I did was change the oil and belt just to make sure I knew what was in it.
Back to top Go down
Max Q
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2017-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Oil Changing Pictorial   Oil Changing Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2018 9:22 am

Thank you for the great pictures. You have to log in with user name and password to see the pictures.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oil Changing Pictorial   Oil Changing Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oil Changing Pictorial
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2