Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hi there guys
Stability issues with a 46L top Box? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 12:16 pm

» Rear shock longevity
Stability issues with a 46L top Box? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Stability issues with a 46L top Box? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Stability issues with a 46L top Box? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Stability issues with a 46L top Box? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Stability issues with a 46L top Box? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Stability issues with a 46L top Box? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Stability issues with a 46L top Box? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Stability issues with a 46L top Box? I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Stability issues with a 46L top Box? I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Stability issues with a 46L top Box?

Go down 
+6
MikeO
pja
JeffR
dspevack
matthew
bigbird
10 posters
AuthorMessage
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Stability issues with a 46L top Box? Empty
PostSubject: Stability issues with a 46L top Box?   Stability issues with a 46L top Box? I_icon_minitimeSun May 02, 2010 11:40 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Stability issues with a 46L top Box?   Stability issues with a 46L top Box? I_icon_minitimeSun May 02, 2010 11:56 pm

How about saddlebags? Since I havent tried either one, I have nothing to add but I
am interested in other peoples opinions. as to advantages and disadvantages of both. in case I decide to add one or both of them

Dale
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Stability issues with a 46L top Box?   Stability issues with a 46L top Box? I_icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 12:10 am

I use a 35 liter Givi top box with no problems at all as far as stability. Can't speak for larger boxes.

I used an average size set of saddlebags (14"W x 10"H x 6"D) for a couple of years, also with no problems at all. I've just recently changed to sport shaped bags that are about the same size overall (15"W x 9"H x 7.5"W), also with no stability problems. These bags are considered "mini" bags, by saddlebag standards.

My feeling is that the Swing is powerful enough and big enough to handle either saddlebags or top cases, probably just about any size of either, maybe with the exception of the largest giant sized saddlebags, with no problems.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Stability issues with a 46L top Box?   Stability issues with a 46L top Box? I_icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 12:16 am

I have absolutely no problems with my E-52 case, and although techically you are raising the center of gravity by adding weight high on the bike, I have never had it affect me, either on short trips to the grocery store or long trips, even in the mountains, or across bridges or highways with heavy crosswinds. I also tend to overload my case (30 lbs) without problems either. The red bike at the top of the page is mine and you can see how the 52 sits on it.

Dan
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Stability issues with a 46L top Box?   Stability issues with a 46L top Box? I_icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 12:23 am

I can't see it causing any problems either. I have another top case and don't have any problems with it. I had the V46 on my Majesty, which is lighter and less powerful, and didn't encounter any problems either. The SWing is a very well engineered bike so you should do great. I can't tell you which case to buy, since I don't have a Givi, but I really liked the Givi 46 case. I wish I would have bought that instead of the one I bought. They are much more expensive but such nice cases. Or you can look at a Shad case too, i hear those are very nice. Tell us what you bought.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
pja
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
pja

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2009-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Stability issues with a 46L top Box?   Stability issues with a 46L top Box? I_icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 2:22 am

matthew wrote:
...I used an average size set of saddlebags (14"W x 10"H x 6"D) for a couple of years, also with no problems at all. I've just recently changed to sport shaped bags that are about the same size overall (15"W x 9"H x 7.5"W)...

Matthew,

Hi! So far I have made do with a duffel type bag (approx. 60 ltr.) that fits in the trunk under the seat. However, if I need extra space then I would prefer saddle bags (particularly throw-over style) rather than a top box.

Givi T427 saddlebags look nice.

However, saddle bags worry me because they could scratch the side body work. How have you fitted yours?

Regards,
Peter
Back to top Go down
http://www.caseysbeach.com
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3788
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Stability issues with a 46L top Box?   Stability issues with a 46L top Box? I_icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 5:35 am

No problems here with the Givi E52 (and SR19) although I do notice a difference with and without.
'Don't overload it' is the key as far as I'm concerned - the 10kg limit is imposed for a reason.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995

PostSubject: Re: Stability issues with a 46L top Box?   Stability issues with a 46L top Box? I_icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 5:42 am

We use our 46L GIVI cases almost exclusively for trips. We remove the boxes when we are just tooling around town. When on trips the boxes come off and stay in the hotel while we ride the countryside. I've not noticed any handling or stability issues with the boxes on the bikes.

Why do we take them off? Because to us, aesthetically, the boxes look like huge lumps on the back of the bike. They cause the rear of the bike to be too high and massive. Just not a pleasant appearance - it's more about functionality.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Stability issues with a 46L top Box?   Stability issues with a 46L top Box? I_icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 6:46 am

Just noticed the bit about backrests; as far as my pillions are concerned, the TB19 is vastly superior to the topbox pads and.......the pillion's got something to lean against even when the box isn't on, an important consideration for us.

Last edited by MikeO on Mon May 03, 2010 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: decisions, decisions   Stability issues with a 46L top Box? I_icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 8:03 am

x

Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995

PostSubject: Re: Stability issues with a 46L top Box?   Stability issues with a 46L top Box? I_icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 9:06 am

bigbird,

We use the V46 (http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/602/69/) The cover can be color matched (for a price). They shipped the color matched covers in addition to the cases so we have the original (flat black) covers that we plan to customize. This will allow us to at least have a bit of panache with the boxes.

I'm not displeased with them at all they are cavernous and very easy to mount and dismount. Are they the biggest boxes available - no, but I'm way past that issue... Stability issues with a 46L top Box? Icon_razz
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

Number of posts : 361

PostSubject: Re: Stability issues with a 46L top Box?   Stability issues with a 46L top Box? I_icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 9:44 am

Peter,

Please see my post in your other thread re: saddlebags, as well as pics in my album of my current bags.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Stability issues with a 46L top Box?   Stability issues with a 46L top Box? I_icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 12:02 pm

bigbird wrote:
I just bought an new '09 SWing.

Congratulations.

bigbird wrote:
I am contemplating a top box, either a GIVI E450 or V46N with an SR19 monokey mount and a either an E95S back pad or TB19 passenger back rest.

I have the Givi TB-19, E-06 top rail and E-52 where I store a Shoei Multitech Small helmet upright and my Shoei Multitech X-Large helmet laying on it's side with the helmet base facing the other Shoei ... because the E-52 did not have enough room to store both helmets. So if you are planning on storing two helmets inside a smaller 45L or 45L box you might want to check of both helmets in the make/model/style of helmets you want fit. I never take my E52 off my SWing because I have a passenger on my SWing 50-60% of the time ... a lot of times unplanned.

bigbird wrote:
I had heard that the large top boxes can cause stability issues from the wind or just making the bike top heavy.

Since my passenger times are unplanned, I do not ride without my E52 ... I ride year round except when ice or snow. When I have ridden in high gusts of winds, the entire side of the SWing caught the wind ... not just the E52. The E52 is only 12.4 inches tall with a rounded profile on it sides ... so there is not a lot of flat space area to catch the wind.

The only times I have felt the E52 difference was filling the entire E52 with 1.5 - 2 weeks of groceries with all the large heavy items in the E52 greatly exceed the weight. The difference felt like a passenger sluggishly reacting to the turns as the turn started ... but no difference in the middle of the turn or going straight.

bigbird wrote:
I am a big guy, 6'2", 230 lbs. My riding is 50% solo, 50% 2 up with my 115 lb wife. Type of riding is 75% urban, 25% highway with nothing faster than 110 km/h (65 mph).

Very similar to my riding characteristics.

bigbird wrote:
The top box won't carry anything over 20 lbs.

But it can if you ever need it. Stability issues with a 46L top Box? Icon_razz
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Thanks to everyone   Stability issues with a 46L top Box? I_icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 12:38 pm

x

Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Stability issues with a 46L top Box?   Stability issues with a 46L top Box? I_icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 2:05 pm

"...because the E-52 did not have enough room to store both helmets"

Mm, strange - I can get two flip-front helmets ( Shoei Multitec & Nolan N102, both Large) side-by-side, the right way up facing rearwards, in my E52.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Stability issues with a 46L top Box?   Stability issues with a 46L top Box? I_icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 2:07 pm

Bigbird, I guess you know there's an excellent step-by-step pictorial for installing the SR19 on the 'Wing.
It's not a difficult job but the pictures make it easy, easy, easy!
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Stability issues with a 46L top Box?   Stability issues with a 46L top Box? I_icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 2:18 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Stability issues with a 46L top Box?   Stability issues with a 46L top Box? I_icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 2:28 pm

MikeO wrote:
"...because the E-52 did not have enough room to store both helmets"

Mm, strange - I can get two flip-front helmets ( Shoei Multitec & Nolan N102, both Large) side-by-side, the right way up facing rearwards, in my E52.

For full faced helmets, I have only had the Shoei Multitec. I believe if my helmet was not X-Large ... another Small they may have both fit.

When we were searching for helmets, my wife and daughter were having the most problems with finding the right helmet, they kept finding the helmets claustrophobic ... including the Nolan N102 ... they had no problem with the Shoei Multitec so my search ended. I never measured the outsides of the helmet ... so their perception was from inside wearing the helmet.

With both the Small and the X-Large laying upright (opening facing down), my X-Large do not fit properly ... which is why I lay it sideways (inside of the Shoei bag to protect the visor).
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Stability issues with a 46L top Box?   Stability issues with a 46L top Box? I_icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 4:01 pm

Bigbird, the install is the same, i.e. take off the rear spoiler/hand-rails but drill out the two holes arrowed in step 6 and the two that look the same below them in the picture.

I bought a new drill bit just to make sure then did the deed on my driveway and front lawn.

The hardest part for me was lining up all the rubber bushes/spacers and bolts to fix the plastic carrier on to the metal Givi bits!
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Stability issues with a 46L top Box?   Stability issues with a 46L top Box? I_icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 5:20 pm

x

Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Stability issues with a 46L top Box?   Stability issues with a 46L top Box? I_icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 6:45 am

Not stupid, bigbird. Stability issues with a 46L top Box? Icon_wink

Yes, I do have the socket in the LH cubby. I think the one for the Goldwing fits in the hole there with very little alteration - other members who've done it will give you a few pointers for sure.

I fitted an external socket on the LH cubby lid - I didn't want to cut any big holes in the plastic - which is connected to the socket inside and means I neither have to have the lid open nor close it on the wires. (Pictures in my album)

Incidentally, I favour BMW plugs & sockets over cigar-lighter ones.
The downside is that the sockets require an 18mm hole......and can one buy an 18mm hole-cutter?
You guessed. Stability issues with a 46L top Box? Icon_cry
I think if I'd been able to get one I'd have done the deed but I hate easing holes with files so followed the other route.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Stability issues with a 46L top Box?   Stability issues with a 46L top Box? I_icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 4:03 pm

Makes one wonder. I see most of these top boxes are limited to 20lbs or so. The trunk on Goldwings from 1980 to the present are also tagged for 20lbs max. Seems like the GW ought to be rated a lot heavier, I wonder if it's a lawyer thing. I know with 40lbs in my GW trunk it's hardly noticeable and then only when getting it up off the side stand.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Stability issues with a 46L top Box?   Stability issues with a 46L top Box? I_icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 7:14 pm

x

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Stability issues with a 46L top Box?   Stability issues with a 46L top Box? I_icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 7:40 pm

Whatever the Topcase limit is, It's a legal issue. The higher you raise your top heavy issues it can get squirrley. Keep most of your weight on or in the seat.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Stability issues with a 46L top Box?   Stability issues with a 46L top Box? I_icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 8:55 pm

x

Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Stability issues with a 46L top Box?   Stability issues with a 46L top Box? I_icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 6:07 pm

The Piaggio topbox on the X9 is also rated at 10kgs and the rack for that amounts to scaffolding!
I think it's more to do with dynamics.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Stability issues with a 46L top Box?   Stability issues with a 46L top Box? I_icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 10:52 pm

x

Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Stability issues with a 46L top Box?   Stability issues with a 46L top Box? I_icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 2:09 pm

Bigbird, try making the stock buttrest into a backrest. Check out the LeroyBell website. It is very comfortable, but it might get in your passenger's way.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Stability issues with a 46L top Box?   Stability issues with a 46L top Box? I_icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 2:49 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Stability issues with a 46L top Box?   Stability issues with a 46L top Box? I_icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 3:42 pm

http://www.leroybeal.net/

Click on Motorcycles at the top of the list.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stability issues with a 46L top Box?   Stability issues with a 46L top Box? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stability issues with a 46L top Box?
Page 1 of 1