Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 4:21 am

» New member from Europe
What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use? I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use? I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use? I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use? I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use? I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use?

Go down 
+4
john123
MaxB
MikeO
matthew
8 posters
AuthorMessage
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2008-12-24

What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use? Empty
PostSubject: What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use?   What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 9:50 pm

I've looked at the postings for saddlebags, and there is nothing really about any non-givi soft bags. I'd like to hear from anyone using any other soft saddlebags, what brand, what sizes, shapes, how you mount them (over the seat/under the seat), how they sit in relation to the muffler, how you like or do not like them.

There are many options available, and I'm wondering which direction I might go in, so specific feedback about real life use would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use?   What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 5:57 am

I had a pair of Oxford bags, identical to the Givi ones - one strap under the seat and two over.
In all honestly, from what I've read over the years, they're all much of a muchness.
I can't speak for leather ones but none of the fabric ones are waterproof so need shower-caps in anything other than very light rain unless everything inside is packed in plastic bags which is what I do.
Expandable ones are OK but if they're not expanded, the extra material takes up space inside, which is a pain.
I'd have to check the clearance over the exhaust but if I were going to buy new ones I'd go for the Givi Scooter T427, non-expanding ones.
I think someone's just started making what look like copies of them......yes, here:

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?productId=p507807
Back to top Go down
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2009-10-06

PostSubject: Re: What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use?   What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 9:01 am

I don't have saddlebags as such.
I went to Walmart and found some duffles in the luggage Dept. They had several sizes.. I bought the 10x10x24 in. size. They were semi waterproof. That is, they had the heavy nylon coated material. (just like the expensive ones). I put them on the passenger seat and strap down.
I mount them with the zipper down and bottom up . that way they are less likely to get water inside.
I have used them for 2 yrs now on scooters and M/C. I have been caught in several frog stranglers and they have stayed dry inside. One ride was 4 hrs in the rain at 37 deg.F...no water in the bags.
best part is they are black (several colors were available) and they cost $10 each.
I "Think" this is the bag:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/20-Expandable-Duffel-Bag-Black/11069683#ProductDetail

Hope this helps
MaxB
I guess that you could run the handles under the seat and use like saddlebags, but on the seat it won't scratch the paint.
The money I saved went into gas for trips.. As Martha says..."this is a good thing"
MaxB
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use?   What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 12:14 pm

MaxB.

Thanks for that info. It looks like a great setup, and for a very low price.
I have 2 or 3 different duffles that I use on the passenger seat already, at different times and for different reasons, so I'm familiar with that kind of setup.
I also have a set of middle quality leather saddlebags that I leave on the scoot at all times, and they've been useful for about two years now.

Now I'm thinking about nylon/denier bags, better quality, and there is no shortage of bags to choose from. That's why I'm interested in hearing about people's actual experience with specific saddlebags, which might help me make a decision. One of the factors that need consideration is size. I don't want anything too big - because I don't need huge bags, and because I don't like the way really wide bags look on the bike, and because avoiding the muffler is essential - and I don't want something tiny, and therefore virtually useless, either. There are other important factors to consider too, of course, like how best to mount the bags, which is related to avoiding the muffler, but also to security. I prefer mounting the yoke under the seat for security, and this choice limits the size and shape of the bags that will effectively avoid muffler contact. And on and on.

I use a top case and the saddlebags, plus under seat storage when needed, for daily needs, and then add a couple of waterproof duffles/bags for touring/camping. It's worked out well.
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use?   What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 12:32 pm

MikeO,

Thanks for that info. I had a look at the bags you linked to. At 13" high, there's no way they would avoid contact with the muffler, so they couldn't possibly work with the Swing, unless, possibly, you throw them over the passenger seat, which I don't want to do for security reasons. The leather bags I use now are 10" high, and they avoid the muffler, when loaded, by between a half inch and an inch. That's been enough. They've never burned or scorched. It might be different though with nylon bags, although they all have a heat resistant panel on the underside.

I hadn't thought about the expandable bags sacrificing inside room when not expanded. That's a good piece of info to have. How does that happen exactly?

There is a very wide variety of sizes, shapes, and styles though to choose from. So far I haven't come across what seems to me to be the "perfect" combination of factors for my needs. Oh, and of course there's price. That "perfect" combination most definitely revolves around price. I have it in mind that I'm not willing to spend the $150 plus or minus that some (like givi for example, but not exclusively) bags cost. Doesn't seem necessary to me. For example, there is nice pair of Nelson Rigg bags at newenough.com for $77 plus shipping, that I'm considering. Lifetime warranty, high quality, reputable maker, etc. I'm just not yet sure about the size/volume/shape yet. But that's just one example.
Back to top Go down
john123
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
john123

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2010-02-21

PostSubject: Re: What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use?   What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 12:58 pm

I bought some bags on line that work very well. They are the nylon type with zippers so that you can expand the size.
They have never been burned by the exhaust and the only problem I had was the straps were not quit long enough.
I bought the same size velcro strips from a craft store and glued them on with a fantastic 1200 lbs psi. glue.
I you go to my album you will see the pictures.
The velcro could have been a little tighter and the bags would looked better.
Oh there is one draw back. Getting the S/W on the rear stand is not fun.
If you like what you see, let me know and I will get the address.
I think I paid about $90.00
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use?   What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 1:05 pm

I hadn't thought about the expandable bags sacrificing inside room when not expanded. That's a good piece of info to have. How does that happen exactly?

Bit difficult to explain but imagine a set of bellows.
When you squeeze them, part of the fabric goes in and part out.
The bag is similar in that, unexpanded, a fillet of material is inside the bag. It's held there by a zip in the outer part of the 'bellows'.
The material's bulky so encroaches on the space inside.

possibly, you throw them over the passenger seat, which I don't want to do for security reasons.

Always a problem with soft luggage and zip-fasteners.
The Givi bags have three straps; centre one is webbing with buckle-adjustment, outer ones are velcro.
I put the centre one fairly loosely under the seat and heave the outer ones up tight over the seat, thus raising the bags up higher but stopping anyone just walking off with them.
Unfortunately it won't deter a determined thief armed with a knife who can either slash the bags or cut the three straps and make off.
Back to top Go down
DannyAlcott
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DannyAlcott

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Re: What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use?   What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 4:16 pm

I use the cortec sport bags and find the size is just rght for my needs. Thay do exspand but I have never used them that way.
They have the velcro straps that I used to run under the seat. I found th straps to be a hinderance when using the under seat storage so I placed velcro on the sides of the underseat storage box and fasten the straps to that. In more than a breif light rain things in side get damp.
I have used these for several years between the silver wing and my reflex.

Danny
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use?   What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 7:16 pm

I have a pair of Cameron expandable panniers. They have waterproof covers that are attached to the pannier but these can be stored in pockets if not needed.
Used for a nine day trip to the Millau Viaduct in 2008. Rained at some point every day. One day rode the best part of three hundred miles in the rain (some it that was heavy rain). At no time did anything get wet inside the panniers.

Two heavy duty straps on each pannier that velco together. Once I find the correct joining points for the straps I tie-wrap the straps together for additional support. Straps go underneath the seat of my Burgman.

Cheers,

Last edited by tarmacburner2 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use?   What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 7:30 pm

Danny,

I'm wondering how you manage to keep the 12" high cortech sport bags from hitting the muffler?
Back to top Go down
DannyAlcott
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DannyAlcott

PostSubject: Re: What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use?   What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 7:49 pm

The bag clears the muffler by a few inches. The bags have a heat sheild built in to the bottom after a few hundered mile ride the bottom of the bag is warm, but have had no burn issues.

Danny
Back to top Go down
DannyAlcott
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DannyAlcott

PostSubject: Re: What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use?   What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 8:07 pm

I posted a couple pics of the bags and one of the velcro inside the storage area.

Danny
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use?   What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 10:08 pm

Danny,

Thanks very much for the pics. They explain it all. I see that the bags are pulled up much higher than they would normally be if they just hung from the yoke/straps which would be run under the seat. My bags hang like that, while I see that yours are pulled up to the bottom of the grab rail - a very real difference in height, hence making it possible for 12" high bags to avoid the muffler. They would not be able to do that if they hung "normally".
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995

PostSubject: Re: What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use?   What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 7:24 am

I've seen the Cortech sport bags in use on a SilverWing and they are a nifty solution. No problem over a weeks worth of long days of riding.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use?   What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 6:48 pm

I found this site on my wandering through cyber-space - quite useful:

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/accessoriesandgear/textile_saddlebag_comparison/index.html
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use?   What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 7:16 pm

Thanks for that MikeO. I had seen that site in my cyber wanderings too. The only bags there that I would consider are the Tourmaster Cruiser II ones. All of the others don't make it onto my "possible" list either because of price, size, or style.

Still looking, and at this point I seem to be leaning toward either the Nelson Rigg CL-900's, or the Fieldsheer Contour bags, both available on newenough.com for very attractive prices. Decisions decisions!

(I've also looked at the Tourmaster Cruiser III bags as "possibles").
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use?   What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 9:02 pm

I have a Givi trunk but wanted some more storage for long trips. I just ordered some soft saddle bags that I think will work. I looked at the leather ones that zipped off and were nice. Then I found nylon ones that zip off also. They have two velco strapes that go over the rear seat. They are made for a motorcycle but will work on my silverwing. I can put one section under the trim which will hold it on. I will have to lengthen the strap but that's not hard. I think I can get a lot in these. I think they were about $120. I found them at Competition Assessories (Springfield, OH)and they have an on-line catalogue also. They were on sale on line. They came in black, red and some other color.
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use?   What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 11:36 pm

Coralee,

It sounds like you've chosen the Tourmaster Cruiser III bags (I looked at the website for the company you mentioned, and those are the ones that zip off and cost $120).

These are on my "maybe" list, and I'd be interested to hear from you more about them when you've mounted them on you Swing.
Back to top Go down
BlueSwing06
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
BlueSwing06

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Re: What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use?   What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 2:04 am

Give the Motorcycle Superstore a try. Good prices and fast shipping. They also have a nice selection. Competition Accessories has moved from Ohio to I forget where, but their shipping is longer...and their customer service isn't as good as the Motorcycle Superstore. I am also in the market for a top box and saddle bags....happy hunting!
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use?   What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 9:45 am

BlueSwing06,

I believe I've checked out Motorcycle Superstore on a number of occasions during this search, and have consistently found better prices on either newenough.com or bikebandit.com for the stuff I'm looking at. I've never ordered from bikebandit, but have bought from newenough in the past with very satisfactory results.

I have ordered replacement tires from MSS, also with good results. Thanks for the suggestion though, and good luck with your hunting too.

You may already have discovered that many riders have bought and like the Bestem top box, for price and quality, although most seem to agree that the quality isn't as good as the Givi's. I use a Givi Flow (no longer available - 35 liters) at the moment, which I've been using for two years without problems, but if I were going to replace it I think I'd go with the Bestem larger box, for a lot less money.

Let us know if you come up with saddlebags that you like for the Silverwing.
I'm personally not looking for very large bags, because of the muffler issue, because I don't like the look or, what I imagine is the negative aerodynamic effect of very wide bags, and because I already use waterproof duffles for touring and so don't need my saddlebags to hold huge amounts of stuff . The leather bags I have now are 6" wide, and I think they look good on the bike. I don't think I'd like the looks of 8-9-10" wide bags on the Swing. Partly this is because the Swing is already bowed outward in exactly the fender section where saddlebags will lay, thereby exaggerating the width/extension of any bag you might put there.
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use?   What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 8:39 pm

Well, I've ordered the Nelson Rigg CL-900 "mini" bags, 15L x 6W x 9H in the main compartment, with a nice couple of outer zipped pockets to boot. These have just a tiny bit less volume (main compartment, I'm assuming) than the leather bags I've been using, although the shape is different. I'll have to see how they fit on the Swing, and whether or not they might be too small. Obviously I'm thinking they won't be, for what I need, but you never know.

I ordered them from Bikebandit.com, because I also ordered a new pair of heavier duty gloves from them (Fieldsheer Apex on closeout at a good price - let's hope they fit right, since I can't return or exchange them!), and they will match anyone else's lower price if it meets their criteria (which it did in this case, as newenough.com had the same bags for $12 less). I don't mind saving a little where I can, including a maximum of $7.95 for ground shipping with bikebandit, no matter how much you order. Not bad.

Thanks to everyone for the information and recommendations/suggestions.
Ride safe.
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use?   What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 8:36 pm

I've received and mounted the Nelson-Rigg CL-900 "mini" saddlebags, and I think they're gonna be just fine for what I need. For any who may be interested, the dimensions are 15L x 9H x 6W (that's the main compartment. If I put some small stuff into the two smaller extra pockets, the bag measures about 9 1/2" wide from the bike to the outside edge of the bag). That's exactly why I didn't want a wider bag to begin with.

The fit and finish appear to be top notch, and Nelson-Rigg provides a lifetime warranty to the original owner. How can you beat that?

For what it's worth, I mounted them "backwards", because I think it makes more sense aerodynamically, and because they sit on the bike more evenly that way, and are more evenly oriented in relation to the muffler (the bottom of the bag and the muffler are more parallel to each other), with a good three inches or so between the bag and the muffler.

I've put some pictures in my album for reference.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use?   What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 11:28 am

After lots of too-ing and fro-ing I ordered a set of Nelson-Rigg SSC-140 MINI SADDLEBAGS from the States.

I wanted a pair which are narrow and not too big - they seemed to fit the bill.

I collected them from the Post Office this morning - one week to arrive in Belgium, three weeks to get through Belgian Customs!

I've had a trial 'fit' on the Silverwing and I'm very pleased.

The finish of the bags is good, they are top-loading which I wanted and the rain-covers fit very well.

There are two wide Velcro straps which fit neatly under the seat and with sufficient overlap to make them secure.

The neoprene pads look as if they'll do a good job of protecting the paintwork.

There are also four short straps for attaching to suitable bits of frame.....of which there are none on the bike but I shall use one of the two shoulder-straps supplied to loop through the carrying-handles and put over the seat. just in case.

Fitting the two stiffeners was a struggle but the tightness will ensure the bags keep their shape.

They'll get a proper test run in three weeks' time when I ride down to Brittany - I'll post a report when I get back.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use?   What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What Specific Non-Givi Soft Saddlebags Do You Use?
Page 1 of 1