Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
New member with 2008 Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
New member with 2008 Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
New member with 2008 Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
New member with 2008 Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
New member with 2008 Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
New member with 2008 Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
New member with 2008 Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
New member with 2008 Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
New member with 2008 Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
New member with 2008 Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New member with 2008 Silver Wing

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
mlipasti
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2022-09-09

New member with 2008 Silver Wing Empty
PostSubject: New member with 2008 Silver Wing   New member with 2008 Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2022 5:15 pm

Hi folks! Just picked up a 2008 Silver Wing with 13.5K miles.

It's a little different from my other bike (a 2009 Buell Ulysses) but I am already enjoying it.

The maintenance history is not clear so I am planning to change the engine and final drive oil, oil filter, spark plugs, and drive belt. Brakes and coolant look OK so I won't mess with those.

The seat strut is worn out.  I'll probably go with the 1" PVC pipe fix I read about on here.

The bike vibrates a bit under acceleration so I ordered 26g Dr Pulleys (after reading many useful posts here) and plan to install those when I swap out the drive belt.

I'm a bit leery of tackling the valve clearance check as a DIY.  I'll probably take it to the dealer for that before any longer trips (just planning to use it for commuting for now).

I live in SE Wisconsin (Lake Mills).

Thanks for having me!
-Mikko
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: New member with 2008 Silver Wing   New member with 2008 Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2022 7:41 pm

Hi Mikko and Welcome to the BEST SWing forum in the Universe. At least nobody from any other planet has told me different.
I also have a 2008 SWing that I had triked out about 5 years ago with no regrets. It's a Motor Trike GT-3 Kit.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: New member with 2008 Silver Wing   New member with 2008 Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2022 8:27 pm

Hello Mikko. Welcome to the forum.

Regarding your valve clearance concerns. I have been an active participant in various Silverwing forums since 2003 and have probably only seen mention of anyone checking valve clearances 3 times. And have never heard of anyone needing their valves adjusted. A ”valve check” is just a money maker for the dealer. So keep up with oil changes and traditional maintenance and enjoy your new scoot.

Just twist, go & smile 😃
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: New member with 2008 Silver Wing   New member with 2008 Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2022 6:20 am

Hi Mikko, Like Tim said, I've got 36 + thousand miles on my 2008 SWing and have never adjusted the valves. It runs great.
As far as the vibration under acceleration goes. Mine did that after I got it home and TLCd it to get it running. I read a post about holding the brakes hard and run the tack up to around 4K for about 5-6 seconds. That "burns" any glazing off the clutch that might be there from sitting etc. I only had to do it once and haven't had any problems since. I did put 26 gram Dr Pulley Sliders in it when I put the first drive belt on it.

I bought it from my sister in FL and it sat under a tarp for a little over two years. She tipped it over in her driveway and had to get a neighbor to help her pick it back up so she parked it. I bought it from her and trailered it back to MN. I ordered a new "cheap" battery off Ebay ( I figured that it the battery lasted the summer that would work and I'd buy a good battery that winter) and while waiting for that to come I hooked up jumper cables, without the truck running, from my pickup just to see if it would start. It had 1/2 tank of gas in it and after 3 or 4 turn overs it popped off and purred like a kitten with no smoke. All the lights worked too. I changed the drive belt, the oil and filter, put new tires on it, checked the brake pads plus a bunch of other TLC to it. I haven't had a problem with it since. It's a great bike!!
Back to top Go down
mlipasti
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2022-09-09

PostSubject: Re: New member with 2008 Silver Wing   New member with 2008 Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2022 8:06 am

Thanks for the advice and welcome! I will definitely try the glazing trick. I’m looking forward to wrenching on and riding my Silver Wing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New member with 2008 Silver Wing   New member with 2008 Silver Wing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New member with 2008 Silver Wing
Page 1 of 1