Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Introduction new owner I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Introduction new owner I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Introduction new owner I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Introduction new owner I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Introduction new owner I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Introduction new owner I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Introduction new owner I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Introduction new owner I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Introduction new owner I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Introduction new owner I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Introduction new owner

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
KentuckyEd
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2022-07-08

Introduction new owner Empty
PostSubject: Introduction new owner   Introduction new owner I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2022 4:30 pm

Hi to all.

71 year old fart here thinking about getting back into riding.  Started off in 1971 with a Yamaha 350 R5B while I was in college.  Many, many fond memories of that bike.  Progressed through many other bikes, some bought new but mostly used; Yamaha 650 twins, a 1974 Honda XL350, a Yamaha SR500 thumper, various Honda 750 4 cylinders, various Gold Wings including a Valkyrie, two Harley Super Glides, and finally I got old a quit riding.  Too much history in all of those bikes to document here.

Well, maybe I'm not as old as I thought (even though I've got 2 steel hips, a bovine aortic heart valve, and arthritis in every joint that still moves).  I considered buying a used Dyna Glide, or Sportster, but finally decided that I really wanted a Silver Wing or Burgman.  Found a 2004 Silver Wing, 2 owner, with 4,677 miles.  Clean as a whistle and I'm sure that I paid top dollar for it, but still a reasonable price for what you get.

The seller delivered it yesterday (yes that's right the seller drove over 200 miles and delivered the scooter when I told him that I couldn't find a suitable trailer).  I've been going over the bike today, wiping it down with a chamois, and putting the battery on a trickle charger.  Looks to be in excellent shape.  Has a Givi shield which I'm assuming is larger than stock.  No plastic damage and hardly even any scuffs.  Battery is only one year old and indicated full charge after 1/2 hour on the charger.

I've only ridden it 150 feet into the garage but I did notice that it requires much more throttle in order to get the bike to move than a standard motorcycle with a gear transmission.  I've looked at some YouTube videos of the Dr. Pully modification and will likely install the 26 gram sliders at some point when I decide it's time for a new belt, which I'm sure is original too.  Where's the preferred place to buy the sliders and belt?  Any difference between OEM Honda belt and aftermarket?

The tires have a date code of 4603 so they're original tires, 19 years old and I'll have to change them.  That brings me to my second question, what's the preferred tire for these scooters?  And how hard is it to pull the rear wheel off for a tire swap.  I plan on pulling the wheels and taking them to the shop for the tire swap.

I'll also be putting in new spark plugs and air filter, but I'm sure that's pretty straight forward.  Would be interested in communicating with any close by owners (I'm in Mt. Washington, KY, zip 40047).

That's about it for my introduction.  Hopefully my pictures will be added below.  Vey poor pictures but it's raining and the garage is really crowded with the new scooter behind the TD.
Attachments
Introduction new owner Attachment001 (Large).jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(126 Kb) Downloaded 13 times
Introduction new owner Attachment002 (Large).jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(141 Kb) Downloaded 9 times
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Introduction new owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction new owner   Introduction new owner I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2022 4:50 pm

Nice looking scoot, Ed. Thank you for your thoughtful introduction. Welcome to the forum.
Back to top Go down

Introduction new owner
Page 1 of 1