Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, Welcome to the Silverwing 600 Forum. We ask that you be polite and also introduce yourself on your 1st post. The members are friendly and helpful so just have fun. There is www.maxi-scoots.com site that is geared for all scooters and motorcycles.

HomeGallerySearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Help. No head light
Whose a Lucky Boy Then? I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 8:09 pm

» 2021 PCX150
Whose a Lucky Boy Then? I_icon_minitimeby Chris Olson Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:39 am

» Missing my S/Wing
Whose a Lucky Boy Then? I_icon_minitimeby sonuvabug Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:04 am

» hello Corbin "silverwinged" Sparrow
Whose a Lucky Boy Then? I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:58 am

» Hello from SWFL
Whose a Lucky Boy Then? I_icon_minitimeby Sid Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:41 pm

» December 2021 forum photo
Whose a Lucky Boy Then? I_icon_minitimeby Michel Vachon Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:15 pm

» My recent ride.
Whose a Lucky Boy Then? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:02 am

» Under seat light and courtesy switch
Whose a Lucky Boy Then? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:50 pm

» Introduction
Whose a Lucky Boy Then? I_icon_minitimeby sonuvabug Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:49 am

» A boomer of a ride.
Whose a Lucky Boy Then? I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:30 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Whose a Lucky Boy Then?

Go down 
+5
oldwingguy
Dale N.
sonuvabug
Cosmic_Jumper
Loosemarbles
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Loosemarbles
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 789
Registration date : 2016-10-01

Whose a Lucky Boy Then? Empty
PostSubject: Whose a Lucky Boy Then?   Whose a Lucky Boy Then? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2021 1:11 pm

This is what happened today to one of my drive cover bolts whilst tightening. It's one of the three 8 x 65mm.

Whose a Lucky Boy Then? Driven10

It was tightening up nicely but was still below it's usual torque. It went with a 'crack' and I thought the head was going to fall off, leaving the shank in the casing. Phew!

I loosely inserted one of the other bolts into the hole and the thread in the casing seems to be OK. I guess I'll find out when my new bolts arrive! affraid
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 3946
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Whose a Lucky Boy Then?   Whose a Lucky Boy Then? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2021 4:22 pm

Boy, you sure dodged the bullet on that one.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 679
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Whose a Lucky Boy Then?   Whose a Lucky Boy Then? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2021 6:37 pm

affraid
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Site Admin
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Whose a Lucky Boy Then?   Whose a Lucky Boy Then? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2021 7:59 pm

That sure would have sucked to have it break off in the hole. I've had that happen before but not to my SWing. It was a bummer.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1912
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Whose a Lucky Boy Then?   Whose a Lucky Boy Then? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2021 10:21 am

You got the NASCAR lucky dog free pass on that deal.
Back to top Go down
arcamedies
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
arcamedies

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2016-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Whose a Lucky Boy Then?   Whose a Lucky Boy Then? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2021 12:18 pm

Yikes that looks like a stretch bolt from a cylinder head. To do that torque is way to high. I'd check your settings newton meter or foot pounds and calibrate the torque wrench. A Newton meter is .7376 ft lbs if mixed up you can be 30% over torqued
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Whose a Lucky Boy Then?   Whose a Lucky Boy Then? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2021 1:09 pm

I did wonder whether Honda had used stretch bolts but at £1.67 each it doesn't sound like it. It must have have been overstressed by a previous owner and then finally gave up. I wish Honda had included a torque setting for those three cover bolts.

I normally tighten them to a 'snug' torque using a short handled ratchet......what?..ratchet?....yeah, it's a bit bigger than a mouse turd!

Anyhow, new bolts are now leaving the factory in Japan getting ready to board the ship for their long voyage to the UK. Gosh, I miss the days when dealers used to have this stuff in stock.

Back to top Go down
PeteP
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2020-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Whose a Lucky Boy Then?   Whose a Lucky Boy Then? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2021 3:24 pm

Yes, you were really lucky that didn’t break off and remain in the hole. I guess that I’m lucky because here in the States my local hardware store carries a very good selection of metric bolts as well as SAE so I usually don’t have to wait for the slow boat from Japan. I’ve also had some luck getting those oddball bolts and parts on eBay.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Whose a Lucky Boy Then?   Whose a Lucky Boy Then? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2021 4:35 pm

Actually, in my usual impatient manner, I did order some 8 x 70 (1.25 thread pitch) bolts from a UK supplier with overnight delivery. I added some washers to make up the difference and went on a 200 mile ride with an overnight stop. All seems OK.

However, my new bolts have arrived from Honda so I guess I ought to do the right thing. Still wish I had a specific torque value though Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 679
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Whose a Lucky Boy Then?   Whose a Lucky Boy Then? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 01, 2021 3:58 pm

My Factory Service Manual has a listing of torque values by bolt size in the general information chapter.  I guess the assumption is that all bolts used of that size will carry the same torque value regardless of where they are used on the scoot unless otherwise stated.   

If you have a FSM, perhaps check there?
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Whose a Lucky Boy Then?   Whose a Lucky Boy Then? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 01, 2021 5:10 pm

sonuvabug wrote:
My Factory Service Manual has a listing of torque values by bolt size in the general information chapter.  I guess the assumption is that all bolts used of that size will carry the same torque value regardless of where they are used on the scoot unless otherwise stated.   

If you have a FSM, perhaps check there?

Whose a Lucky Boy Then? Torque11
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Whose a Lucky Boy Then?   Whose a Lucky Boy Then? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 01, 2021 5:12 pm

Whose a Lucky Boy Then? Torque12
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Whose a Lucky Boy Then?   Whose a Lucky Boy Then? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2021 5:35 am

Sorry guys, I only just caught up with this. Thanks.

Am I to take it that the three bolts in question are the '8mm flange bolt and nut', i.e. 26Nm (20lb/ft)?
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 448
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Whose a Lucky Boy Then?   Whose a Lucky Boy Then? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2021 7:50 am

This is a "been there ...done that" kind of story. But I was lucky as well. I snapped one of the rear caliper bolts when not believing my torque wrench. It was tight enough and to the listed torque requirement; But maybe just a little more might be better ?! Nope ! "Crack! " I was able to take the broken piece out from the other side with vice grips. "PHEW"! indeed. And as Loosemarbles found, the local dealer had no stock for the bolt. I found something that worked at Princess Auto. It could have been so much worse an experience.
Mike
Back to top Go down

Whose a Lucky Boy Then?
Page 1 of 1