Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» What were they thinking?
Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 3:11 am

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted. I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» Earth cable stress
Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted. I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted. I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted. I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted. I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted. I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted. I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted. I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted. I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted.

Go down 
+9
steve_h80
Loosemarbles
vmaximus
Meldrew
sonuvabug
Cosmic_Jumper
MikeO
john grinsel
Kunamika Hopper
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Kunamika Hopper
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Kunamika Hopper

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2020-09-18

Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted. Empty
PostSubject: Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted.   Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted. I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 19, 2021 5:10 pm

So, i've been riding my '13 s'wing for a year now. i've only got a couple thousand miles on the freeway (work commute, 110 miles on freeway), but i'm pretty comfortable with that, compared to intersections and high school school zones (kids with phones and cars are pretty scary). I certainly prefer the faster speeds and greater distancing of vehicles on the freeways.

But, i'm curious what advice could be given about necessities. The swing has great cargo space, but obviously stacking has its limits, and undercarriage requires a wrench, tire plugs, spare belt, small gas can, etc.

if i were to plan my first long ride, what is something that would surprise me to know that i need?

Also appreciated are tips on finding camping spots in the middle of nowhere.

Thank you for your time
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3290
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted.   Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted. I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 19, 2021 5:34 pm

Proper professional quality riding clothes/waterproof boot/ collection of gloves and foam ear plugs.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3780
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted.   Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted. I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2021 3:34 am

A bottle of water and a few biscuits; if you are unfortunate enough to be stranded at the side of the road, even for a short time, water to sip is important.
I speak from bitter experience, having suffered a burst tyre!
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted.   Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted. I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2021 8:00 am

But first you should stop by Introductions and give us the courtesy of, um, introducing yourself. Ya kinda make more friends that way.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted.   Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted. I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2021 8:41 am

Further to Tim's sage advice, you may wish to write a sentence or two about your "touring" aspirations in your introduction. Are you simply talking about longer weekend jaunts or a major cross country or world tour? Big difference between them and what you'll need to know and pack.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4169
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted.   Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted. I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2021 9:14 am

Kunamika Hopper wrote:
if I were to plan my first long ride, what is something that would surprise me to know that i need?

Also appreciated are tips on finding camping spots in the middle of nowhere.

Camping in the middle of nowhere is basically roughing it. Whatever excuse you use about getting off the beaten track, looking up at the stars,  being at one with nature etc. It really means you're too mean to use a proper camp site with facilities like hot water, showers and restrooms.

So take along a folding trowel or shovel to dig a cat hole for when you're squatting down answering the call of nature. It was called going on a shovel recce in my squaddie days.
Back to top Go down
vmaximus
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted.   Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted. I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2021 5:26 pm

The OP only asked for information about finding camping spots in the middle of nowhere and has nothing to do with being mean. Welcome by the way.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3290
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted.   Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted. I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2021 5:36 pm

Might add---can get cold---I find feather jacket under riding suit works well----camping in US, just find place where you cannot be seen directly from road---ground cloth sleeping bag blanket of some kind and sleep---I tend to eat at Mcdonalds underway...less chance of the runs.On trip to North Cap in Norway, I just slept in my Aerostich one piece suit---warm/dry
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted.   Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted. I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2021 6:11 pm

I'm sure with a modicum of effort and a few minutes of online research the OP, myself or anyone else could find out exactly that.

Camping in the middle of nowhere usually means unless you're really fastidious, leaving yourrubbish and excrement where you camped. It's one thing bagging Fido's doggy do on it's morning walk and binning on the way home. You're hardly likely to do the same with your own waste as you pack up to move on.

It's been a well documented problem in the Lake District this year with the mass influx of staycationers, and that's not exactly in back of beyond.

I used to have a very interesting  book called How to **** in the Woods which explained the environment impact of wild camping It's obviously a problem over the Pond as  the book is now in it's fourth edition.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Want to tour   Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted. I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2021 12:01 pm

Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted. D402ac10

As we Visiting Curmudgeons only work fixed hours, today was my day off. So I was ratching (Cumbrian word) in a drawer this morning and came across this pocket sized beauty.

A very handy and informative little book I bought with a larger order of stuff from Aerostich probably 15 or more years ago. It's a mine of information about lightweight motorcycle camping, what to take, what and where to eat, good riding roads, where to hang out etc, and loads of useful websites listed too.

Of course my copy is the Third Edition and it's probably been updated at least a couple of times since then. The book is written in an informative and amusing style and it's vintage layout and pictures is part of it's charm.

Best of all it still costs $5 in 2021, can be easily carried for easy reference in a jacket pocket, and you'll benefit from all the handy info and tips.

Even I'm still benefitting from the book, inside the pages was a € 0.50 Sanifair voucher to use in the turnstiles to use German autobahn toilets. 🇩🇪
Back to top Go down
Kunamika Hopper
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Kunamika Hopper

PostSubject: Re: Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted.   Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted. I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2021 12:17 pm

All very useful info!

Apologies for not providing an introduction, i'm not used to the format of this forum and had thought i'd posted one a couple years ago when i made my account. was still looking for my dream bike at the time, and had only lurked until this post.

Also, not sure how to reply to individual comments. I'm not what you might call computer literate.

so, in regards to overall trip, i'm looking to start with weekends, and potentially transition into way of life. Anything upcoming would most likely stay in the southern us (due to winter approaching).

Water and biscuits is definitely a good suggestions. Lord knows tires can just go at any minute, and plugging MC tires seems to be an extremely temporary solution. (going DS in a few days).

I may be too mean for collective campsites, or perhaps too weird and autistic. I like people, but need quite a lot of alone time. As far as the ecological effects of personal waste management: i'm fairly conservationally minded and clean up after myself. Mostly, my concern for camping solo has more to do with riding until it's time to stop. Sometimes the moment of awe strikes suddenly, other times, it's just safer to take an immediate break.

Thank you for the welcome!

I have a low profile, single person tent, and a decent insulated bag, but layers under the riding suit is definitely great advice.

Again, apologies for my confusion on how to format individual responses, and thank you all for the wisdom!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted.   Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted. I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2021 1:57 pm

Good evening, well it is here, I've posted about a book you might find useful, but being not exactly computer literate myself, I've accidentally posted it in that GPS handlebar topic. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Kunamika Hopper
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Kunamika Hopper

PostSubject: Re: Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted.   Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted. I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2021 3:56 pm

That does seem like an exceptionally handy book!

Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1550
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted.   Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted. I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2021 4:08 pm

Fuel consumption for me. Every time we go to the continent I find we have to stop quite frequently for fuel. I know the SW tank is rather small but I'm not complaining, or maybe I'm riding too fast and I'm covering more miles (or Kms) than I think?

Whatever it is, I think the SW is a great tourer.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 990
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted.   Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted. I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2021 2:59 pm

Welcome back Kunamika.
I would add taking a decent sleeping mat to keep the sleeping bag off the floor. A siphon tube is also a good idea, if you run out of gas it allows you to borrow some from any bike that stops to help.
I've done a few camping trips on the SW, underseat, topbox and a roll bag with tent etc on the pillion seat and all is well in my world. The only concern I would have on a bigger tour is the limited life of the rear tyre, by 3k the handling is going off and its downhill from there.

As regards the earlier mentioned toilet arrangements for wild camping I would suggest using a doggy bag and taking it with you. Put the bag at the top of the accessible luggage to deter any thieving types 😁

I remember well my first wild camping morning movement. In the dunes on the west cost of Scotland it was.
There I was, looking out to sea and contemplating nature, and my part in it, when I heard a crisp English accent crying "Rover, Rover, here boy". Turning about I see a labrador bounding over the dunes towards me...
Mission aborted 🙂
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted.   Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted. I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2021 11:30 am

steve_h80 wrote:
... snipped ... I remember well my first wild camping morning movement. In the dunes on the west cost of Scotland it was.
There I was, looking out to sea and contemplating nature, and my part in it, when I heard a crisp English accent crying "Rover, Rover, here boy". Turning about I see a labrador bounding over the dunes towards me...
Mission aborted 🙂

Ah yes ... "poopus interruptus" rolling laughter
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 990
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted.   Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted. I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2021 12:55 pm

The bigger worry was that Rover might do his retriever bit 😳
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2537
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted.   Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted. I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2021 7:24 am

I have taken many 1000-2000 miles trips on my Swing but always use cheap hotel/motels. Carrying all that camping gear and sleeping on the ground at my age...no thanks. That said I realize not everyone feels that way, so whatever works best for you!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted.   Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted. I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2021 10:29 am

I'm not against camping as I'm still hanging on to one of the three tents I used to own. A dome tent was donated to a charity shop, and my nephews lad was very pleased with another larger dome tent I gave him to do festivals and VW rallies.

For years now I've much preferred comfort, I like nice city hotels and I quite enjoy being the only guest that's rolled up on two wheels. For years I used the same bikers hotel in Germany and other times I'd opt for upmarket hotel chains preferably with garage parking.

Over the years I've stayed in bunkhouses, family orientated camp sites, chalets, hostels, safari tents, statics, pubs, B&B's, and I've even stayed in a few castles.

No one can convince me that loading a maxi scooter up like a packhorse, clambering on and off over a tunnel bag that needs removing and replacing every time you refuel, and having to carry your helmet around when you stop for a meal or a break, is preferable to travelling light with the minimum of stuff.

Back to top Go down
josephthediviner
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2020-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted.   Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted. I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2021 7:18 am

Here is a list of tips for long distance riding. https://ironbutt.org/25tips.html

I have ridden several saddle sore's even have an award. But the community has many practical ideas to help with distance riding.
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2020-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted.   Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted. I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2021 9:17 am

I hate strange beds and rarely sleep properly in hotels. Best results for me are the same hard uncomfortable ground every night. I usually precede a trip by sleeping outdoors for a few nights to get used to the different feeling. In my cycle touring days, I did many thousands of miles and months on the road without ever sleeping indoors - and often without pitching a tent.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted.   Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted. I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2021 9:21 am

The 1st 2 wheeled overnight adventure we slept on slept on a park bench, that was in 1962, that was never repeated.
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted.   Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted. I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2021 9:27 am

Meldrew wrote:
No one can convince me that loading a maxi scooter up like a packhorse, clambering on and off over a tunnel bag that needs removing and replacing every time you refuel, and having to carry your helmet around when you stop for a meal or a break, is preferable to travelling light with the minimum of stuff.

Bicycle touring is a pain like that. No trip is short and you need 'stuff'.
The real problem is that there's nowhere even trivially secure on a bicycle. It's fine in rural Finland or BC but you can't even leave smelly underpants unattended in some places.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted.   Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted. I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2021 10:08 am

smellybeard wrote:
Bicycle touring is a pain like that. No trip is short and you need 'stuff'.
The real problem is that there's nowhere even trivially secure on a bicycle. It's fine in rural Finland or BC but you can't even leave smelly underpants unattended in some places.

Hello mate, strange you should mention bicycling and BC, I'm currently in Victoria with Mrs M. Along with my stepson and his Canadian friend from Calgary, we hired bicycles yesterday and spend the morning cycling round various places in Victoria.

I rode a mid-drive eBike which would be my choice to cart all my stuff around if I was into bicycle touring. But as you say everything on a push bike is vulnerable to theft.

Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted.   Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted. I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2021 10:38 am

Getting a bit late in the year now but I stopped to pick blackberries up at Comox many years ago. Mighty; best blackberries I've ever eaten. Mind, get them before the Pooka casts his spell on them.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted.   Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted. I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2021 10:53 am

smellybeard wrote:
(Snip) The real problem is that there's nowhere even trivially secure on a bicycle….but you can't even leave smelly underpants unattended in some places.

You wouldn’t need to worry about those underpants being pilfered if you take counsel from our Mr Grinsel who promotes riding combat.
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted.   Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted. I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2021 11:05 am

Well, they were really just a convenient metaphor; cycling shorts are worn commando.

As my trips progressed, I carried fewer and fewer clothes and was occasionally forced into some difficult situations. On a trip to Norway, I found myself stripped to the minimum climbing up out of fjords and stopping at the top - amongst the remaining snowdrifts to put on everything I had with me for the descent (and still nearly freeze). On the map fjords go in and out but let me tell you, on a pushbike they go up and down. Sea level to 4000' twice a day. No convenient charge points for electric bicycles either.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted.   Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Inexperienced, but want to tour. Advice wanted.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: General :: General Chat-
Jump to: