Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Rear shocks setting I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 8:05 pm

» What were they thinking?
Rear shocks setting I_icon_minitimeby cotetoi Today at 7:49 pm

» Earth cable stress
Rear shocks setting I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Rear shocks setting I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Today at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Rear shocks setting I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Yesterday at 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Rear shocks setting I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Rear shocks setting I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Rear shocks setting I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Rear shocks setting I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Rear shocks setting I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Rear shocks setting

Go down 
+2
steve_h80
BroOKS2K9
6 posters
AuthorMessage
BroOKS2K9
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2020-06-13

Rear shocks setting Empty
PostSubject: Rear shocks setting   Rear shocks setting I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2021 1:42 am

I'm interested in knowing what setting some of you use for the rear shocks...and your reasoning.

I'm 5'10" and 230 lbs. Over the last 6-9 months, I've used "4" and found it a bit stiff; the bike feels like it's...searching for the road.  As of late, been trying out "3".  Now it feels "squishy" and wants to bottom-out all the time.  When the daughter is on, it's always "5".

I do hope to squeeze in one moto-camping trip this year.  For those of you who moto-camp, I'm very interested to know what settings you use as well.

As always, thanks for the replies.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 990
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Rear shocks setting   Rear shocks setting I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2021 3:28 am

As a typically overweight, aging, westerner (183cm, 85kg) with an equally no-longer-size-10 wife we found the standard shocks couldn't cope with the lumps and bumps of the roads round here so upgraded to Hagons. Setting 3 for 2 up, setting 1 for solo does the trick.
The standard shocks aren't bad, but they are soft, good for comfort but they bottom out to easily away from smooth tarmac.
The front end is fine, more-so now I've replaced the 14 year sludge that passed as fork oil. I wonder how many of us are riding around on equally antique gloop?
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2537
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Rear shocks setting   Rear shocks setting I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2021 7:56 am

I use "4" on the stock shocks. Works OK for me but then my wife no longer rides or it would be new shock time. I am 240+ lbs. My Forza recently got bumped up to "5" from "4" for my fat carcass. Much better and doesn't bottom nearly as much.

Aftermarket shocks would be preferable but I don't put near as many miles on as in past years so just not necessary at this time.
Back to top Go down
BroOKS2K9
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2020-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Rear shocks setting   Rear shocks setting I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2021 9:48 am

steve_h80 wrote:
As a typically overweight, aging, westerner (183cm, 85kg) with an equally no-longer-size-10 wife we found the standard shocks couldn't cope with the lumps and bumps of the roads round here so upgraded to Hagons. Setting 3 for 2 up, setting 1 for solo does the trick.
The standard shocks aren't bad, but they are soft, good for comfort but they bottom out to easily away from smooth tarmac.
The front end is fine, more-so now I've replaced the 14 year sludge that passed as fork oil. I wonder how many of us are riding around on equally antique gloop?

Wow!!  14 year old fork oil?!?  Not knowing how long it had been since the previous owner changed oil, I replaced it with 10W —along with the seals— earlier this year.  Can't say as I like it as much as before.  I'll like add 15W on the next go-round.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4169
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Rear shocks setting   Rear shocks setting I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2021 2:31 am

I found riding with the rear shocks set to 3 and tyre pressures set to solo rider worked fine. When Mrs M toured with me and we we had more kit I set the shocks to 4 and upped the tyre pressures for rider and passenger. Nothing special, just the settings recommended in the Silver Wing Owner’s Handbook.

With my Forza I haven't touched the rear shock settings since I rode it home from the dealership back in late 2018. I've no idea what they're on as the settings aren't numbered, and to be honest I'm not interested in finding out or altering them as I'm happy as they are.

The ride is comfortable on all road surfaces and the weight of a fully loaded top box and Ortleib bag on the rear seat makes no difference at all.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1549
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Rear shocks setting   Rear shocks setting I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2022 1:35 pm

I'd like some advice and thoughts on setting my rear shocks. My OEM ones were shot so I replaced them with YSS EcoShocks. They're called Eco because they have no rebound adjustment, only the spring pre-load. This comes in the form of a castellated ring over a threaded strut; i.e. 'infinate' this requires a relaxing of a grub screw and then use a lever bar to turn the castelled ring up or down the thread. You know the drill!

After much 'trying out' different adjustments I've kind of got a range which suits solo/pillion/weights etc. but it requires me to measure the distance from the top of the castellated nut to the top edge of the bottom spring. I find that 26mm for solo and 24mm with pillion work OK but curiosity is haunting me once again.

After some unsuccessful internet searching, my question is this: Using the increments of the OEM shocks, how much (in millimeters) does the turnkey alter the spring pre-load? I chucked out my old OEMs (they were BAD) so I can't try this measurement out for myself.

Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Rear shocks setting   Rear shocks setting I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2022 1:59 pm

Dunno if this answers your question but IIRC adjusting YSS replacement shocks on my friends NSS 300 Forza one full turn of that castellated adjustment nut equalled 1 mm.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1549
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Rear shocks setting   Rear shocks setting I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2022 2:12 pm

An active ingredient to my dilemma for sure. If I can relate that to 'one increment' of the OEM turnkey I might be on to something.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear shocks setting   Rear shocks setting I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear shocks setting
Page 1 of 1