Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, Welcome to the Silverwing 600 Forum. We ask that you be polite and also introduce yourself on your 1st post. The members are friendly and helpful so just have fun. There is www.maxi-scoots.com site that is geared for all scooters and motorcycles.

HomeGallerySearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
Rear shocks setting I_icon_minitimeby sonuvabug Today at 10:27 am

» spotted while in cleaning mode
Rear shocks setting I_icon_minitimeby Freezeagle Today at 10:26 am

» Touch up painting
Rear shocks setting I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 4:31 am

» Mileage on a full tank?
Rear shocks setting I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 7:56 pm

» Classic! A blast from the past.
Rear shocks setting I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Yesterday at 4:18 pm

» Oil leak? Any help?
Rear shocks setting I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 2:18 pm

» Battery and Fuse Questions
Rear shocks setting I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 10:06 am

» Well, it's different !!
Rear shocks setting I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:10 pm

» Silver Wing Miles (a Poll)
Rear shocks setting I_icon_minitimeby Bcook01 Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:37 am

» DIY Variator holding tool
Rear shocks setting I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:20 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Rear shocks setting

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BroOKS2K9
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2020-06-13

Rear shocks setting Empty
PostSubject: Rear shocks setting   Rear shocks setting I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2021 1:42 am

I'm interested in knowing what setting some of you use for the rear shocks...and your reasoning.

I'm 5'10" and 230 lbs. Over the last 6-9 months, I've used "4" and found it a bit stiff; the bike feels like it's...searching for the road.  As of late, been trying out "3".  Now it feels "squishy" and wants to bottom-out all the time.  When the daughter is on, it's always "5".

I do hope to squeeze in one moto-camping trip this year.  For those of you who moto-camp, I'm very interested to know what settings you use as well.

As always, thanks for the replies.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 762
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Rear shocks setting   Rear shocks setting I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2021 3:28 am

As a typically overweight, aging, westerner (183cm, 85kg) with an equally no-longer-size-10 wife we found the standard shocks couldn't cope with the lumps and bumps of the roads round here so upgraded to Hagons. Setting 3 for 2 up, setting 1 for solo does the trick.
The standard shocks aren't bad, but they are soft, good for comfort but they bottom out to easily away from smooth tarmac.
The front end is fine, more-so now I've replaced the 14 year sludge that passed as fork oil. I wonder how many of us are riding around on equally antique gloop?
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2065
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Rear shocks setting   Rear shocks setting I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2021 7:56 am

I use "4" on the stock shocks. Works OK for me but then my wife no longer rides or it would be new shock time. I am 240+ lbs. My Forza recently got bumped up to "5" from "4" for my fat carcass. Much better and doesn't bottom nearly as much.

Aftermarket shocks would be preferable but I don't put near as many miles on as in past years so just not necessary at this time.
Back to top Go down
BroOKS2K9
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2020-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Rear shocks setting   Rear shocks setting I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2021 9:48 am

steve_h80 wrote:
As a typically overweight, aging, westerner (183cm, 85kg) with an equally no-longer-size-10 wife we found the standard shocks couldn't cope with the lumps and bumps of the roads round here so upgraded to Hagons. Setting 3 for 2 up, setting 1 for solo does the trick.
The standard shocks aren't bad, but they are soft, good for comfort but they bottom out to easily away from smooth tarmac.
The front end is fine, more-so now I've replaced the 14 year sludge that passed as fork oil. I wonder how many of us are riding around on equally antique gloop?

Wow!!  14 year old fork oil?!?  Not knowing how long it had been since the previous owner changed oil, I replaced it with 10W —along with the seals— earlier this year.  Can't say as I like it as much as before.  I'll like add 15W on the next go-round.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 3793
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Rear shocks setting   Rear shocks setting I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2021 2:31 am

I found riding with the rear shocks set to 3 and tyre pressures set to solo rider worked fine. When Mrs M toured with me and we we had more kit I set the shocks to 4 and upped the tyre pressures for rider and passenger. Nothing special, just the settings recommended in the Silver Wing Owner’s Handbook.

With my Forza I haven't touched the rear shock settings since I rode it home from the dealership back in late 2018. I've no idea what they're on as the settings aren't numbered, and to be honest I'm not interested in finding out or altering them as I'm happy as they are.

The ride is comfortable on all road surfaces and the weight of a fully loaded top box and Ortleib bag on the rear seat makes no difference at all.
Back to top Go down

Rear shocks setting
Page 1 of 1