Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, Welcome to the Silverwing 600 Forum. We ask that you be polite and also introduce yourself on your 1st post. The members are friendly and helpful so just have fun. There is www.maxi-scoots.com site that is geared for all scooters and motorcycles.

HomeGallerySearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Belt Replacement
Nearly post-covid I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 4:45 am

» Hello from woodstock ontario canada .
Nearly post-covid I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 4:31 am

» It’s got great brakes.
Nearly post-covid I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 9:46 pm

» Clicking Noise from Front Brake
Nearly post-covid I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 8:57 pm

» Corbin Seat and Backrest in Denver
Nearly post-covid I_icon_minitimeby holwagerj Yesterday at 12:52 pm

» Introduction and pgm-fi trouble
Nearly post-covid I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:34 am

» Forza gripes!
Nearly post-covid I_icon_minitimeby JamieB Mon May 10, 2021 3:01 pm

» Pgm fi trouble
Nearly post-covid I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Mon May 10, 2021 7:36 am

» New guy from oslo
Nearly post-covid I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Mon May 10, 2021 7:18 am

» Replacing front indicator bulb. How?
Nearly post-covid I_icon_minitimeby MarkF Mon May 10, 2021 5:38 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Nearly post-covid

Go down 
AuthorMessage
rjdoles
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
rjdoles

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2012-09-24

Nearly post-covid Empty
PostSubject: Nearly post-covid   Nearly post-covid I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2021 10:27 am

Hello All

I sold my Silverwing a couple of years ago and was without a 2 wheeler until last Spring. When covid hit and we were all in covid jail, I mentioned to my wife that I wanted to get a mechanical project of some sort to work on or I was going to go crazy.

I found a 77 Goldwing barn find on Craigslist that was cosmetically in great shape. $500 later I brought it home. For most of the past Summer I was eager to get to the garage to work on it. I cleaned, polished or painted anything that I could remove from the bike. I rebuilt the brake calipers and carbs. Cleaned out the gas tank and replaced timing belts, cables, battery and ignition system. The original still had points and condenser.

I got the bike back on the road and it was a hoot to drive fast. It was a Gen1 Goldwing which was really the first of the Superbikes. It was the lightest and fastest of the Goldwings.  My 650 lb bike had 80 hp.

In 78, Honda switched to smaller carbs and milder cams to make the engine more docile. They also began adding on the tupperware until a 2020 GW weighs about 850 lbs. I was probably going to hurt myself with this bike as I loved to hear the sweet music that it made as you ran it up through the gears. I am 72 and my bad knees were creating a problem supporting it at a standstill and nearly dropped it a couple times so I sold it.

I found a lighter replacement in a 2007 Shadow VLX. It was lighter, narrower and had a much lower seat height. I rode it last Fall but the feet forward position doesn't allow you to react when you see a bump coming. You just have to take it and it jars your spine. I sold it while still looking for a bike that fit me.

This Spring I found a 2012 Honda NC700x which is an adventure bike. It is 450 lbs, fuel injected, six speed, standard. You ride with your feet under you so you can stand or at least lift somewhat when you see a bump. It is my first fuel injected motorcycle and after the 4 carbs on the Goldwing is very welcome. It is a great commuter bike.

This one may just see me through until I hang up my helmet for the last time.
Attachments
Nearly post-covid Attachmentsmall gwright.jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(244 Kb) Downloaded 41 times
Nearly post-covid Attachment07 VLX.JPG
(103 Kb) Downloaded 22 times
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 3746
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Nearly post-covid Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nearly post-covid   Nearly post-covid I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2021 11:14 am

Nice to hear from you again Mr. Doles. Boy that GL 1000 sure looks sweet.
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2018-07-16

Nearly post-covid Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nearly post-covid   Nearly post-covid I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2021 11:31 am

A co-worker has a GL/first gen. Goldwing rotting in her garage. Hasn't moved in years. I think it was repainted because it's green. I may stop by and see if it's still sitting there. rjdoles, that one you had was clean!
Back to top Go down
FrancoisJ
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
FrancoisJ

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2021-02-11

Nearly post-covid Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nearly post-covid   Nearly post-covid I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2021 1:12 am

rjdoles wrote:
Hello All

I sold my Silverwing a couple of years ago and was without a 2 wheeler until last Spring. When covid hit and we were all in covid jail, I mentioned to my wife that I wanted to get a mechanical project of some sort to work on or I was going to go crazy.

I found a 77 Goldwing barn find on Craigslist that was cosmetically in great shape. $500 later I brought it home. For most of the past Summer I was eager to get to the garage to work on it. I cleaned, polished or painted anything that I could remove from the bike. I rebuilt the brake calipers and carbs. Cleaned out the gas tank and replaced timing belts, cables, battery and ignition system. The original still had points and condenser.

I got the bike back on the road and it was a hoot to drive fast. It was a Gen1 Goldwing which was really the first of the Superbikes. It was the lightest and fastest of the Goldwings.  My 650 lb bike had 80 hp.

In 78, Honda switched to smaller carbs and milder cams to make the engine more docile. They also began adding on the tupperware until a 2020 GW weighs about 850 lbs. I was probably going to hurt myself with this bike as I loved to hear the sweet music that it made as you ran it up through the gears. I am 72 and my bad knees were creating a problem supporting it at a standstill and nearly dropped it a couple times so I sold it.

I found a lighter replacement in a 2007 Shadow VLX. It was lighter, narrower and had a much lower seat height. I rode it last Fall but the feet forward position doesn't allow you to react when you see a bump coming. You just have to take it and it jars your spine. I sold it while still looking for a bike that fit me.

This Spring I found a 2012 Honda NC700x which is an adventure bike. It is 450 lbs, fuel injected, six speed, standard. You ride with your feet under you so you can stand or at least lift somewhat when you see a bump. It is my first fuel injected motorcycle and after the 4 carbs on the Goldwing is very welcome. It is a great commuter bike.

This one may just see me through until I hang up my helmet for the last time.

This beautifully restored 1000GL brings nostalgic memories to my history with Wings. I started off with the 1100GL (Burgandy) and at the time, the 1000GL was still pretty much to be seen whenever the Wingriders got together.

Thank you for sharing. The final product is stunning!
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 574
Registration date : 2010-09-15

Nearly post-covid Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nearly post-covid   Nearly post-covid I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2021 8:39 am

Welcome back to the board. Very nice restoration on the GL 1000.
Back to top Go down
rjdoles
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
rjdoles

Nearly post-covid Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nearly post-covid   Nearly post-covid I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2021 9:45 am

I was really conflicted about selling the Goldwing after putting so much time and work into it. It was a sweet running bike and I know that they don't bring much money. Still, it was too heavy and wide for these old bones. I posted it on Craigslist for $2500 and got a few crank text messages and then I got a call from a man who wanted to see it.

He arrived with truck and trailer. He walked around the bike, asked if it was OK to start it and I nodded. He knew where all the controls were. He switched on the petcock, pulled out the choke, switched on the ignition and touched the starter and it came to life. He checked for smoke from the exhaust which there was none. He blipped the throttle to see the throttle response and then switched it back off. Without blinking, he pulled out $2500 and handed it to me.

He said that his first big bike many years ago was a 77 Goldwing and when he saw the ad he had already made up his mind to buy it.

We swapped stories about our previous bikes and then we loaded it up. I didn't feel quite so bad selling it to him because he had a reason for wanting that bike.

I have put a few hundred miles on the NC700X now and although it is tall, it is also 200 lbs lighter and narrower than the GW. I think that we will get along just fine.
Attachments
Nearly post-covid Attachmentsmall NC700X right.jpg
Current steed.
(241 Kb) Downloaded 10 times
Back to top Go down
JamieB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
JamieB

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Nearly post-covid Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nearly post-covid   Nearly post-covid I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2021 12:27 pm

Hi,

I had an identical 700X same colour, even had the engine bars.

Really enjoyed the bike great economy, very underrated.
Back to top Go down
rjdoles
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
rjdoles

Nearly post-covid Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nearly post-covid   Nearly post-covid I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 16, 2021 9:10 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Nice to hear from you again Mr. Doles. Boy that GL 1000 sure looks sweet.

Thank you.

It was kind of a work of love renewing that bike. I would say renew rather than restore because in 1977, the Goldwing had a straight seat and not the King and Queen from a newer GW that came with the bike.

The previous owner said that he parked it when it developed an ignition problem. It originally came with points and condenser and I replaced them and the coils with a DynaTek electronic ignition system. There were a few other items that were not stock.

When I started on the bike I bought a Harbor Freight cloth buffing wheel for my bench grinder along with a stick of aluminum polish rouge. The rouge was like a giant chap stick containing a waxy pumice. You push the rouge into the spinning buffing wheel to load the pumice onto the wheel and then buff your parts. I learned how to polish aluminum pieces while getting that bike back on the road. Depending on how much time you want to spend, you can make parts look like chrome.

I was happy that the bike went to someone to whom it had a special meaning.
Back to top Go down

Nearly post-covid
Page 1 of 1