Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hi there guys
Help me NOT lose my balance!  I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 12:16 pm

» Rear shock longevity
Help me NOT lose my balance!  I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Help me NOT lose my balance!  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Help me NOT lose my balance!  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Help me NOT lose my balance!  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Help me NOT lose my balance!  I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Help me NOT lose my balance!  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Help me NOT lose my balance!  I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Help me NOT lose my balance!  I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Help me NOT lose my balance!  I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Help me NOT lose my balance!

Go down 
+3
GHM-PM
john grinsel
cubelife99
7 posters
AuthorMessage
cubelife99
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2021-02-26

Help me NOT lose my balance!  Empty
PostSubject: Help me NOT lose my balance!    Help me NOT lose my balance!  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2021 10:13 pm

Hi, I just bought a 2005 Honda SilverWing 600 and I researched Everything before buying! And I’m 5’3 and female and in moderate shape. I wasn’t going to buy it cause I wasn’t sure I could handle it BUT I read everywhere that “small women do it all the time etc” so I bought it before riding it and now...it’s SOO Heavy and I already fell over at very slow speed and hurt my ankle. So I’m scared now as well. So I’ve been trying to sit on it and practice leaning far as I can go before it takes me over instantly. And I can’t really lean either way more then a foot at most without going down hard. And that’s NOT even moving! That makes me Terrified to lose my balance going faster! I can’t back it up or even push it without it falling over. And it literally takes everything I have to pick it up. So I paid every dime I had for a bike I can’t enjoy and I NEED TIPS ON HOW TO BALANCE! PLEASE! What do other small people do when they have trouble holding it up at slow speeds? Or if they lean an inch to far? Just fall over all the time?? I can’t catch myself cause it’s too heavy and I’m crushed in more ways then one Sad If there’s any advice on how to stay balanced or keep from letting my hips move one way or the other...I’d appreciate it! Thanks!!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Help me NOT lose my balance!    Help me NOT lose my balance!  I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2021 7:01 am

First do you have motorcycle license? Ankle hurt---wearing boots? If no lic. take a course! SilverWing is heavy/top heavy. I had 2 new ones/age got to me and I bought something smaller. They are easy to dump. Bikes are designed to be ridden feet up....foot pressure on foot boards works/helps, no death grip on bars.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2553
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Help me NOT lose my balance!    Help me NOT lose my balance!  I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2021 7:21 am

You have to realize that the Silver Wing is over 500 pounds! And like John says it is a top-heavy beast that requires practice. My suggestion is to take a course as suggested above or trade it for a smaller/ lighter steed, Forza or whatever.  Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Help me NOT lose my balance!    Help me NOT lose my balance!  I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2021 7:35 am

At 5’ 3” isn't the Silver Wing's almost 28” seat height going to a problem safely putting your feet down without tipping it over when stopped in traffic, or the times you have to manoeuvre it about using your feet. That 550 lbs weight can also be difficult to haul on and off it's main stand.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Help me NOT lose my balance!    Help me NOT lose my balance!  I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2021 7:40 am

Sorry that you had that experience but it sounds like the lack of it got you. You say how far over can you lean? as you found out not very. That said find and take a motorcycle safety course it's worth your hide and more worth your life. Speed is what keeps you up and these scooters don't have the advantage of a hand clutch along with the brake to feather your low speeds, just the brakes and throttle. When stopping square up ( go straight ) head, shoulders and eyes up. It takes some practice so if you can find a empty parking lot, mall style and practice it will be a big help. Good luck and welcome aboard here.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 928
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Help me NOT lose my balance!    Help me NOT lose my balance!  I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2021 9:28 am

First, welcome aboard the board cubelife99!  

Can you share the riding experience you have until now (i.e. how long have you been riding, the kind of riding you have done i.e. flat roads, hills, off roading, city commuting, long distance touring and on what kind and size of motorcycle/scooter etc.)

What formal or informal motorcycle riding training do you have?  

What kind of riding do you anticipate having in the future i.e. mostly city commuting and errands, secondary country roads & sight seeing rides, major touring including interstate highways etc.?

The answers to the above questions will provide much needed context for your situation and how best to respond to your needs.    

I have my thoughts/first reactions about what is going on but I'd prefer to gather more information first.  After all ... "prescription without diagnosis is malpractice".

Last edited by sonuvabug on Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Help me NOT lose my balance!    Help me NOT lose my balance!  I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2021 10:12 am

Meldrew wrote:
At 5’ 3” isn't the Silver Wing's almost 28” seat height going to a problem safely putting your feet down without tipping it over when stopped in traffic, or the times you have to manoeuvre it about using your feet. That 550 lbs weight can also be difficult to haul on and off it's main stand.

If she likes and keeps the scoot she can have that seat height modified to help the feet down problem.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Help me NOT lose my balance!    Help me NOT lose my balance!  I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2021 10:57 am

You can of course get the seat lowered, but the Silver Wing still a heavy 550 lbs lump. I've read a few recent forum posts from long term owners mentioning it's weight as they get older as a major reason for considering changing to a lighter maxi scooter.

Now if weight and balance of a Silver Wing is a problem from the start, you're going to get hurt physically and financially.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Help me NOT lose my balance!    Help me NOT lose my balance!  I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2021 11:16 am

Meldrew wrote:
You can of course get the seat lowered, but the Silver Wing still a heavy 550 lbs lump. I've read a few recent forum posts from long term owners mentioning it's weight as they get older as a major reason for considering changing to a lighter maxi scooter.

Now if weight and balance of a Silver Wing is a problem from the start, you're going to get hurt physically and financially.

That is true sir but she doesn't say she can't get both feet down, being able to do that would be a benefit over trying to catch a one foot down stop with a heavy bike, I know more than one former G'Wing owner that were happy with a lower seat and being able to plant both feet on a stop.
Back to top Go down
Murf
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Murf

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Help me NOT lose my balance!    Help me NOT lose my balance!  I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2021 11:23 am

Other than remembering to ride upright and don't over lean on the SW. Get a trike kit that will work. I only put my foot down after stopping just to balance at a light.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help me NOT lose my balance!    Help me NOT lose my balance!  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help me NOT lose my balance!
Page 1 of 1