Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Oil screen stuck
Swing Toolkit I_icon_minitimeby Nolabel10935 Yesterday at 11:20 pm

» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Swing Toolkit I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Swing Toolkit I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Swing Toolkit I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Swing Toolkit I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Swing Toolkit I_icon_minitimeby landisr Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Swing Toolkit I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Swing Toolkit I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Swing Toolkit I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Swing Toolkit I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Swing Toolkit

Go down 
+8
Loosemarbles
zrx212
GHM-PM
Cosmic_Jumper
Meldrew
JamieB
steve_h80
FrancoisJ
12 posters
AuthorMessage
FrancoisJ
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
FrancoisJ

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2021-02-11

Swing Toolkit Empty
PostSubject: Swing Toolkit   Swing Toolkit I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2021 3:29 am

I own a used Swing - 2010 according to the VIN number. It came with the owners manual, but not with a toolkit. I suspect many amongst us have this experience? So - is it wothwhile to obtain such a kit? Actually - what does it include? Perhaps one can build it up using aftermarket tools? Smile
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Swing Toolkit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing Toolkit   Swing Toolkit I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2021 3:51 am

Plenty of places do metric bike tool kits, I would just get one of those. Mine has a toolkit but I suspect most of the tools have been accumulated by previous owners as the originals got lost 😏
Back to top Go down
JamieB
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
JamieB

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Swing Toolkit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing Toolkit   Swing Toolkit I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2021 4:25 am

Yes, mine is also a 2010 and came without one.

Think the main one would be a spark plug socket but all readily available.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Swing Toolkit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing Toolkit   Swing Toolkit I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2021 5:19 am

The tool kit that came with my Silver Wing was just like the toolkit that's OE on all maxi scooters, cheap and cheerful rubbish. I had to supplement it with a few hand tools of my own because you need two open ended spanners/wrenches of the same size just to do a dead simple job like tightening the mirror stems. That blue plastic pouch of tat only supplied one.

As for removing and replacing spark plugs on the Silver Wing, they're really deep seated and whether or not the Honda supplied one is any good I've no idea.

When I changed from OE plugs to NGK Iridium ones I used a spark plug socket set I'd bought in a German motorcycle accessories store the day I bought the Iridium plugs. So I must have earlier thought I'm going to struggle using the junk in the Honda toolkit.

Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Swing Toolkit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing Toolkit   Swing Toolkit I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2021 5:54 am

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/scooter/2010/fsc600a-ac-silver-wing-abs/tools

Swing Toolkit 115ac010

FWIW My 2009 came with that piece of genuine Honda sponge (#3) in the plastic pouch (#12). That was it. Thankfully though I saved the original (and complete) kit from my wrecked 2003 when it went to Honda heaven.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2592
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Swing Toolkit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing Toolkit   Swing Toolkit I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2021 7:18 am

My toolkit consists of a plastic tool pouch and a screwdriver!  That's it! This on a US version of a 2012. But to be honest, in 8 years I have seldom needed ANY tools besides a tire pressure gauge. Love Honda.

Just to clarify. My SWing was purchased NEW so this was the kit I got. Oh well, I can and have adjusted the shocks by hand so guess I don't need much.

My 2005 Gold Wing came with a full kit, as crappy as it was. Certainly not Snap-On quality Twisted Evil

Last edited by GHM-PM on Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
FrancoisJ
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
FrancoisJ

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2021-02-11

Swing Toolkit Empty
PostSubject: SWING TOOLKIT   Swing Toolkit I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2021 10:35 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/scooter/2010/fsc600a-ac-silver-wing-abs/tools

Swing Toolkit 115ac010

FWIW My 2009 came with that piece of genuine Honda sponge (#3) in the plastic pouch (#12). That was it. Thankfully though I saved the original (and complete) kit from my wrecked 2003 when it went to Honda heaven.

Thank you for the tool list. I now see that the only one I really need, is the shock adjuster. I mostly ride alone, but the wife sometimes comes along - the shocks thus need to be adjusted accordingly. sunny
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2020-12-26

Swing Toolkit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing Toolkit   Swing Toolkit I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2021 11:24 am

Well Imo carrying anything more than necessary is dead weight, right now my tire plugger resides in tool area, https://www.stopngo.com/pocket-tire-plugger-plus-co2-inflation/ , it has saved my butt several times, you always get a flat in BFE  Mad

IAC my basic DIY toolkit is ...

8/10/12mm combo open/box wrenches, 1 small 6in. adjustable/crescent wrench, 1/4 drive socket driver screwdriver, 8/10/12/14mm sockets, 1/4in. bit holder with #2,#3 and flat bits, 5/6/8mm allen/hex keys, common slip joint pliers. misc spare 30 amp main fuse, a few feet of coiled wire, zip ties and a rag.

Buy cheapest chinese tools, you can use the pliers for leverage on socket driver and wrenches can be linked together for leverage and a box end wrench works good to leverage allen/hex keys, is not really a lot, all my scooters have similar  DIY kits.

As long as the toolkit is there, you won't need it, some part of Murphy's law covers that  Wink
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1590
Registration date : 2016-10-01

Swing Toolkit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing Toolkit   Swing Toolkit I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2021 3:47 pm

Where do all those missing tools go to? Somewhere in the world, there must be small mountain of motorcycle tool kit 'missing items'.

DIYers mantra....."put it back where it came from", but it ain't easy Mad
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Swing Toolkit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing Toolkit   Swing Toolkit I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2021 7:13 pm

" Thank you for the tool list. I now see that the only one I really need, is the shock adjuster. I mostly ride alone, but the wife sometimes comes along - the shocks thus need to be adjusted accordingly. "

I adjust my shocks by hand, place bike on center stand, just grab lower chrome sleeve and turn to desired setting, not a lot of effort IMO, a rag or rubber glove can be used, but clean bare hands works easily for me, KIM to go up and back down to desired setting, don't continue turning past #5, keep fingers on outside of chrome sleeve, but really no pinch danger.

I think the oem will do more damage to chrome if used regularly, but you can wrap it with electrical tape, etc. Any good bike shop should have a selection of spanner tools.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 930
Registration date : 2010-09-15

Swing Toolkit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing Toolkit   Swing Toolkit I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2021 11:23 am

Well, I'm of the opinion I'd rather be looking at it than looking for it when it comes to tools.  I bought a roll up, polyester tool pouch years ago and I'm constantly refining what I carry in it when riding.  I got inspired when I saw the MC tool kits in the JP Cycles catalogue (and the crazy prices they wanted) and thought ... I can put together as good or better kit myself for cheaper.  

Some may think I carry too many tools but I think better that than being stuck.  My kit might be an extra 5-6 kg. of weight but I don't notice and I have them organized so that they do not take up much room and are stored low in the front of the cargo hold to fill up that semi-circular "helmet" space.  They are easily removed and set aside if I feel I'll need the extra space for something else.

Like zrx212 suggested above, the tools in my DIY riding tool kit are not top of the line.  Some of them have been "demoted" from my top tier tool wall and some were picked up in the clearance grab bin on the way out from the parts store.  Regardless, in a pinch, they do the job.

My kit include screw driver handle and bits, selected wrenches both closed and open (metric and SAE), cutting tools from utility knives to a metal cutting blade on my Leatherman multi-tool, electrical and duct tapes, slip lock pliers, allen keys, adjustable spanner, variator pulley tool (for the long rides), compact set of 1/4' and 1/2" sockets, 2 large sockets to remove the rear and front wheel nuts respectively, 2 short lengths of different size wire, assorted zip ties, worm tire repair kit, flashlight, tire pressure guage etc.

I carry metric and SAE as I sometimes ride with a larger, local group and many of them have bikes with SAE fittings.  I'm also the guy who'll turn around on the road and pull over to help a rider or motorist with vehicular trouble.  Handy to have tools to be able to help with those situations.  

The last item I need to complete my kit is a good, compact, manual hand pump.  I've been looking at a few of the ones bicyclists use but some of them are pretty darn expensive for a seldom used item.  If anybody has a suggestion here (i.e. brand name etc.) I'd welcome the input.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Swing Toolkit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing Toolkit   Swing Toolkit I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2021 3:07 pm

I carried enough tools with my SilverWings to remove wheels, remove spark plugs, make any necessary adjustments, repair and pump up tires---not light but necessary. Never walked including time I ruined modern battery with electric pump!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Swing Toolkit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing Toolkit   Swing Toolkit I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2021 4:05 pm

This topic has encouraged me to now go and sort through the tools and assorted junk under the seat and remove all the clutter I previously carried around for years on the Silver Wing and never had to use.

I've had a look today and apart from a couple of hexagon keys and an open spanner/wrench which I removed, I'm happily clutter free.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

Swing Toolkit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing Toolkit   Swing Toolkit I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2021 7:55 am

No tool kit came with my 05 but the owners manual lists these as being OEM

10X12 mm box end wrench
14x17 mm """""""""""""""""
#2 Phillips screwdriver
#2 screwdriver
screwdriver handle
5mm hex wrench
pin spanner
sparkplug wrench
tool bag
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

Number of posts : 295
Registration date : 2022-04-17

Swing Toolkit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing Toolkit   Swing Toolkit I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2022 2:09 pm

zrx212 wrote:
right now my tire plugger resides in tool area, https://www.stopngo.com/pocket-tire-plugger-plus-co2-inflation/ , it has saved my butt several times, you always get a flat in BFE 
StopnGo has several different versions of this kit. One includes a “spring-loaded device [that] 'drives' the tire plug into the hole.”

Would it be worth buying a kit with this tool?Swing Toolkit A07b7d10
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Swing Toolkit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing Toolkit   Swing Toolkit I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2022 2:54 pm

I had my  https://www.stopngo.com/products/7823  kit well over 20yrs and it got me and several others friends out of a "Pinch"  Rolling Eyes  a bunch of times, real easy to use, have never tried any other they sell, replenished plugs and CO2 several times over the years, money well spent

The tools in your picture is just to ream and install rubber plugs, maybe a little easier to use, no means to fill tire, it looks kinda bulky for emergency use.(Maybe Never Question )
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Swing Toolkit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing Toolkit   Swing Toolkit I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2022 5:39 pm

Best to carry hand pump.....when you have lots of riding experience
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Swing Toolkit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing Toolkit   Swing Toolkit I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2022 6:17 pm

john grinsel wrote:
Best to carry hand pump.....when you have lots of riding experience

1970's BMW's had a compact hand pump stored in the central spine of the frame. MZ's also had a hand pump as part of their tool kit too. In reality both pumps were less than a foot long, so even with continuous pumping the short feeble strokes were ineffective at inflating tyres from flat to anywhere near 30 lbs psi pressure required.

Apart from the placebo effect of carrying one, when neede they were utterly useless.

If hand pumps were of any use, they'd be included in every tubeless tyre repair kit for tyre inflation instead of those CO2 cylinders.

Hand pumps are pretty useles for for g
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Swing Toolkit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing Toolkit   Swing Toolkit I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2022 7:40 pm

My experience----CO2 cartridges run out, simple pump better to get you going, WalMart in US, has in bicycle section pump that lets you hold it with your foot and do better strokes, Battery powered pumps had me ruining battery in Maine. Simple is better, and provided bead is not broken----all of this=I hate walking and like to be self contained on long trips. I do have road service, though. I miss the days scooter had spare tires and easy to remove rear wheels!

I forgot but did my BMW K-75 come with CO2 rather than pump?
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Swing Toolkit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing Toolkit   Swing Toolkit I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2022 3:08 am

john grinsel wrote:
WalMart in US, has in bicycle section pump  that lets you hold it with your foot and do better strokes,

That pump you describe dear boy is a cycle track pump, I've used one at home for many years to inflate maxi scooter, car, and pushbike tyres. It's more efficient than any hand or foot pump and battery or 12v compressor. But as good as it is I certainly wouldn't want to carry it around on a maxi scooter.

Dimensions wise it's just a standard cycle track pump, almost two foot in length and the handles make it nine inches wide, which is an awkward and inconvenient shape for under seat storage on my Forza.  

I didn't carry it around when I owned maxi scooters with larger under seat storage storage like the Silver Wing and Burgman 650 either.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Swing Toolkit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing Toolkit   Swing Toolkit I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2022 7:33 am

This pump I found is about a foot long----fit under seat fine. I am interested in getting going not being stranded with flat-----in remote N America you can wait a long time for help.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Swing Toolkit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swing Toolkit   Swing Toolkit I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2022 10:51 am

I just keep a small electric tyre pump order the seat.
It's only about 150 x 100 x 50mm (6", 4", 2" in old money) including the wires, it plugs into the socket in the left fairing pocket and does the job fine.
Back to top Go down

Swing Toolkit
Page 1 of 1