Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Final Drive Noise banished
Vintage riding I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Rear shock longevity
Vintage riding I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Yesterday at 10:55 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Vintage riding I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Vintage riding I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Vintage riding I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Vintage riding I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Vintage riding I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Vintage riding I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Vintage riding I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Vintage riding I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Vintage riding

Go down 
+6
oldwingguy
The Bern
sonuvabug
Meldrew
Old Limey
Cosmic_Jumper
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Vintage riding Empty
PostSubject: Vintage riding   Vintage riding I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2020 10:13 am

Here’s a nice video of a couple of old codgers putting thru Meldrew’s neighborhood across the Yorkshire Dales. Nice old bikes too:

Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Vintage riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vintage riding   Vintage riding I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2020 2:11 pm

A bit more in my area than Meldrew's. i have ridden those roads many times, Kettlewell to Hawes, a very popular biking destination. Not, i might add, at the same time as these chaps. But, definately on the same roads or should i say lanes.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 928
Registration date : 2010-09-15

Vintage riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vintage riding   Vintage riding I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2020 3:37 pm

Awesome .... thanks for posting up that video Tim. "Lanes" is right ... barely enough room for two bikes side-by-each let alone two of anything else. Wonderful countryside views.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Vintage riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vintage riding   Vintage riding I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2020 4:42 pm

I think you're exaggerating a bit with the 'barely room for two bikes side by side' mate. For a start any motorcycle riders with a modicum of common sense wouldn’t ride like that as there's a lot of blind bends, hill summits, and corners. The odd stray sheep to look out for on the road, groups of cyclists, etc. The roads are also lined with dry stone walls built by farmers over many generations to keep their livestock from straying, and they're very unforgiving if you hit or clip one.

The minor roads in the Yorkshire Dales are narrow although they're wide enough for our European sized cars to safely pass each other with care and consideration. If you see a large vehicle approaching you pull right into the side of the road, give way, or you or the other vehicle will use a passing place if there's one nearby.

With lockdown I haven't been into the Dales much this year, in the early weeks North Yorkshire Police were stopping vehicles from going into the Dales without a good reason. They were doing the same in other areas of the country to discourage second home owners coming into rural areas from cities.

I enjoyed Timothy's nostalgic video, it reminded me of the smell of damp tweed and years ago watching a load of vintage bikes going past the Tan Hill Inn up in the wilds of the North Yorkshire Dales taking part in the annual Beamish Reliability Run.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 928
Registration date : 2010-09-15

Vintage riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vintage riding   Vintage riding I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2020 9:42 am

Meldrew wrote:
... snipped ... I think you're exaggerating a bit with the 'barely room for two bikes side by side' mate. For a start any motorcycle riders with a modicum of common sense wouldn’t ride like that ...

Not an exaggeration as I was comparing the roads I saw in the video to what we have here in Canada. You've ridden here so I assume you know what I am talking about as our standard for one highway lane is 12 feet wide.

And you're right ... our vehicles tend to be super sized compared to many European sized models. The side-by-side (bikes) example was simply a visualization. we do not ride side by side here either ... unless you are in an outlaw MC.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Vintage riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vintage riding   Vintage riding I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2020 4:38 am

One good reason for riding in the countryside in the UK, we do not have any predatory wildlife. The occasional sheep or rabbit, or pheasant in the road. Nothing compared to Canada and the things you might have to contend with.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

Vintage riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vintage riding   Vintage riding I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2020 6:05 am

Not vintage, but I had a 'blond moment' & thought it would be a good idea to buy a 1957 Zundapp 201s, as something to do if we have lockdown 2 (the boredom returns)

Vintage riding 20200910
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Vintage riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vintage riding   Vintage riding I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2020 7:38 am

Very nice choice bud, I'm assuming it's a 2 stroke, with Earls forks, shrouded rear shocks, gear lever on the left, enclosed chain, nice plush seat and decent sized rear rack, and one of those weird headlamp keys similar to the ones on MZ's. All the good full fat practical stuff.  Smile

6 or 12v electrics?
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

Vintage riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vintage riding   Vintage riding I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2020 7:46 am

Zundapp, my first ever 2 wheel ride, a dirt bike model at that SmileSmile
Back to top Go down
Michel Vachon
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2019-03-26

Vintage riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vintage riding   Vintage riding I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2020 8:27 am

Thank's for sharing the video Tim, it was really nice to look at it....

Michel
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Vintage riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vintage riding   Vintage riding I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2020 5:13 pm

Meldrew wrote:
Very nice choice bud, I'm assuming it's a 2 stroke, with Earls forks, shrouded rear shocks, gear lever on the left, enclosed chain, nice plush seat and decent sized rear rack, and one of those weird headlamp keys similar to the ones on MZ's. All the good full fat practical stuff.  Smile

6 or 12v electrics?

Hi bud Smile  Yep 2 stroke 250 single, geometry of the Earles make it fully 'anti-dive' Cool Single seat & the Craven rack were what attracted me to it more than the already restored dual seat model also on the market.  Key in the headlamp (under a sliding cover) is flat rather than the earier round ones.
Currently it's 6volt but will look into possibilities for conversion to 12 study   Collected it wuth the trailer from Littlehampton, West Sussex then on to Hildenborough, Kent for evening meal with my old school friend then home, left at 09:15 Saturday got back at 02:15 Sunday
64 years old & you can go up to it 'tickle' the carb & half choke starts first/second kick every time (left side kickstart)
Needs a few electrical niggles sorting, then some 'sympathetic' restoration work mostly cleaning rust 'spiders' which will be easy as it was brush enamelled at the factory, steering damper knob & possibly front wheel rim need rechroming.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Vintage riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vintage riding   Vintage riding I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2020 5:21 pm

oldwingguy wrote:
Zundapp, my first ever 2 wheel ride, a dirt bike model at that SmileSmile

I believe you could get a lot of componants from Wassel for the off road models bud
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 997
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Vintage riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vintage riding   Vintage riding I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2020 4:02 pm

Excellent little video.
I know that road well out of Kettlewell. I'm impressed with those old bikes getting up that hill because its a serious climb.
Usually there are a few cyclists going up there too looking utterly miserable 😆
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Vintage riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vintage riding   Vintage riding I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2020 6:33 pm

The cyclists you see may look miserable but keen cyclists challenge their own stamina and fitness by pitting themselves against a 'to do' list of steep hills or gradients. I saw such cyclists slowly pedalling their way up Trapping Hill in Nidderdale on an unseasonably hot day.

There's another steep hill over in the North Yorkshire Moors National Park called Rosedale Chimney Bank. This shares the title of England's steepest road with Hardknott Pass in Cumbria as they're both 33% or 1 in 3. Chimney Bank has long been nicknamed "The Chain Breaker" by cyclists, but there doesn't seem to be a shortage of them wanting to pedal their way up it.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Vintage riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vintage riding   Vintage riding I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2020 1:48 am

The Bern, that's a great looking classic. It's been many years since I've seen a Zundapp! In my younger years I thought they'd named it Zundapp because that's kinda how it sounded to me.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2018-07-07

Vintage riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vintage riding   Vintage riding I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2020 8:51 am

Fascinating video ... bikes approaching 100 years old! Wonder what they'll be like 100 years in the future.

Gorgeous countryside! I need to spend some quality time in northern England. If anyone wants to trade homes + scooters and spend time in southern Florida near the Atlantic Ocean and Palm Beach, holler at your boy ;o).*

* after the virus is under control and some semblance of normalcy returns, of course.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Vintage riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vintage riding   Vintage riding I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vintage riding
Page 1 of 1