Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Denali DLR Light Pods I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Denali DLR Light Pods I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Denali DLR Light Pods I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Denali DLR Light Pods I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Denali DLR Light Pods I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Denali DLR Light Pods I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Denali DLR Light Pods I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Denali DLR Light Pods I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Denali DLR Light Pods I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Denali DLR Light Pods I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Denali DLR Light Pods

Go down 
+3
dencart2
gcm04444
Osprey
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Osprey
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2018-06-30

Denali DLR Light Pods Empty
PostSubject: Denali DLR Light Pods   Denali DLR Light Pods I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2020 7:14 pm

I posted pics as part of wiring help topic.  Guess that be the wrong spot.  No one saw them, oops Embarassed

I would have liked them further apart but they were a bit long for vertical mounting.  Used corner braces and bent them to get the angle right.  

Denali DLR Light Pods Light_11
Denali DLR Light Pods Front_15
Denali DLR Light Pods Front_14
Back to top Go down
gcm04444
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2015-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Denali DLR Light Pods   Denali DLR Light Pods I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2020 1:37 am

Nice job! This is exactly what I have been looking for. Could you provide some more details/photos? Mounting and wiring? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Osprey
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Denali DLR Light Pods   Denali DLR Light Pods I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2020 7:45 pm

gcm04444, I sent you a pm so as not take up space here on forum.
Back to top Go down
dencart2
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dencart2

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2016-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Denali DLR Light Pods   Denali DLR Light Pods I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2020 2:28 pm

Would it be possible for you to post the purchasing and mounting info and detailed pics, on the forum or PM them to me. I also would like to do this on my Scoot. With winter coming up, project could be scheduled.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
http://denniscarter.net/Trips
Osprey
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Denali DLR Light Pods   Denali DLR Light Pods I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2020 6:51 pm

Happy to help you with that.
I can pm you with info this weekend.
Kind of busy right now with fall farm work.

Happy to help though......
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1384
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Denali DLR Light Pods   Denali DLR Light Pods I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2020 8:59 pm

Very nice lights. How much clearance is there between fender looks close if really compressed?
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1992
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Denali DLR Light Pods   Denali DLR Light Pods I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2020 11:44 pm

Osprey, you can go ahead and post it here for all to see and maybe do.
Back to top Go down
Osprey
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Denali DLR Light Pods   Denali DLR Light Pods I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2020 8:17 am

Ok. You'll have to wait until weekend because of farm workload right now.
Back to top Go down
Osprey
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Denali DLR Light Pods   Denali DLR Light Pods I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2020 9:15 am

So much for the weekend back at ya.

I'll be on tonight or tomorrow morning for the info.

I can say that the clearance is close but it does work. However, there are other mounting options. I'll inform you of those as well.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 930
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Denali DLR Light Pods   Denali DLR Light Pods I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2020 2:00 pm

I'm just finishing researching auxiliary driving lights for my SWing as a winter project. The more I  researched ... the more I realized there is to know before making an informed decision on which type of LED auxiliary light is the right one ... for me.  Below are some of the questions I needed answers to as I narrowed down the almost unending list of lighting options.

1) Are they primarily for conspicuity (to be seen in daylight riding) or to see during night or bad weather riding? ... or both?
2) What kind of beam pattern did I need/want?  i.e. flood, spot or driving lights (hybrid)?
3) What level of brightness did I want?  Lumens vs. Lux ... never thought of this topic and it took a bit to wrap my head around it!
4) What light colour/temperature did I need i.e. more yellow (~3000K) for inclement weather or whiter (~5500+K) which seembrighter at night but produce glare in rain, fog etc. ... and ... are tiring on your eyes!
5) How much did I want to spend? Prices range from <$100 for a pair of no name offshore units to >$500 for topline units like the Clearwater brand.  
6) What kind of functionality i.e. simple on/off switch, dimmable control, ability to wire into OEM switch, waterproof rating (they all differ), ability to mount amber lenses when the weather situation requires etc.
7) Are looks important i.e. having small, discreet pods that are tucked in vs. larger light pods or even bars which stick out more.
Cool Lastly, are there expert product reviews, forum opinions or purchaser reviews available to read for  honest opinions?

I don't mean to confuse anyone.  It's just the further I got into it, the more questions kept coming up.  I stuck with my research and have it narrowed down to three choices ... at three different price points ... all of which I hope will do the job I need them to do ...  for me.  

All that's left is to make my final choice, buy them and install them during our non-riding, winter season.
Back to top Go down
Osprey
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Denali DLR Light Pods   Denali DLR Light Pods I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2020 7:24 pm

Excellent questions sonuvabug.

I'll be on tomorrow for sure. Finally, getting farm stuff caught up......

I'll give you my two cents and then as promised over and over, the info on the Denali lights.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Denali DLR Light Pods   Denali DLR Light Pods I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2020 8:46 pm

Bug Jr: IIRC CathyN had Denalis on her Silverwing. She could probably give you some good feedback on them. 

As a related question, do you have a DennisB mount for aux lights?
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 930
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Denali DLR Light Pods   Denali DLR Light Pods I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2020 9:11 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Bug Jr: IIRC CathyN had Denalis on her Silverwing. She could probably give you some good feedback on them. 

As a related question, do you have a DennisB mount for aux lights?

I talked with Cathy and also tapped into Bob's expertise.  Very helpful.  I did purchase one of DennisB's mounts a few year's back and in fact, I also bought a pair of the Optronics QH87CD (Walmart) he suggested using.  They are decent halogen floods for the price but not what I need/want for me.  

They are shown in the pics below mounted on my latest SWing project ... mostly for positioning and sizing.  They are 3-1/8" (80mm) tall by 2-7/16" (60mm) deep.  Close to the maximum size that can be used with Dennis' mounting bracket unless you want to mount them upside down which I do not.

As you can see, I've had them temporarily mounted but they've never been wired up to my SWing as I could tell from my trial "night test" against the garage door they were not what I need/want.

Denali DLR Light Pods 20201010
Denali DLR Light Pods 20201011
Denali DLR Light Pods 20201012
Back to top Go down
Osprey
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Denali DLR Light Pods   Denali DLR Light Pods I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2020 5:42 pm

Hey All,  I'm finally here.

Pre-note to Dencart2.  I will send a pm with a lot more detail for you if you choose to go this route.  I didn't take pics but can put together some using online and my '08 Swing whose windshield garnish is already off.  That's the only part to remove for this application.  

Here's the link to Twisted throttle for Denali kit  https://twistedthrottle.com/shop/lighting/visibility-lights/visibility-lights-for-motorcycles/denali-drl-daytime-running-lights-with-universal-fender-mounting-kit-amber/

I chose daytime running lights because I try to avoid driving at night.  The Denali has a choice of white or amber. Stuck with white because of mostly daytime driving.  I would choose amber at night to create color contrast and because the Denali's are brighter than the Swing's lights.

I found the Denali's while perusing Twisted Throttle's website.  The offered these really cool lights.  So, I bought the kit that they were selling.  The kit included the offset mounts for the light pods, M6 and M8 mounting bolts, positap connectors, and several choices for wiring.  

The difficult part was attaching the offset mount.  The plan was to attach the mount to a corner braccket.  First, the bracket needed to be bent an angle that would prevent the fender from being scraped.  Found that out the hard way.....  It took a bit but I finally got it.

However, I later learned that there is an fender mount option and Twisted Throttle does have the kit. The job would have went much more smoothly and no scratch the fender worries with those.
Denali DLR Light Pods Denali10

You can see that the Fender Mount can be inserted in place of the Swing reflectors.  So much easier  Rolling Eyes

The Light Pod kits each come with pigtails, wire extensions, along with M6 and M8 bolts and positaps.  I Love positaps!  Splicing made simple!

Denali DLR Light Pods Posita10

I twisted the corresponding wires from each light pod pigtal into a single strand before inserting into positap.  That way there are only three wires to "splice" into the Swing wiring and not 6.  For the rooky wiring people like me, run the wires up between the shocks.  You may need to run a line down to pull the wire through.  My hands are really small and I could just barely reach.

There's not much else to the job other than conneting the color coded wires to Swing code.  Kit comes with the info for the wiring, including pictures.  I choose the dual intensity because it was the easiest.  Basically, you wire high beam, low beam and ground.  It depends on the Swing year as to it's color code.  There's before '08 and after.  

FYI the Denali website offers reticulating Bar clamps, for those who want to mount lighting to. They offer four Sizes runing from 21mm-29mm up to 50mm-60mm.  They're pricey but seems that be much easier to attach to Swing shock than working with a light bar.  Just a thought  study

Denali DLR Light Pods Articu10
Back to top Go down

Denali DLR Light Pods
Page 1 of 1