Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, Welcome to the Silverwing 600 Forum. We ask that you be polite and also introduce yourself on your 1st post. The members are friendly and helpful so just have fun. There is www.maxi-scoots.com site that is geared for all scooters and motorcycles.

HomeGallerySearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Looking for Givi AF 318 adjustable windscreen
Needing a trunk I_icon_minitimeby Bearly the biker Today at 12:10 am

» Hanging up scooters after an accident
Needing a trunk I_icon_minitimeby Hiyo Today at 12:01 am

» I found where my electricity went!
Needing a trunk I_icon_minitimeby Cosmic_Jumper Yesterday at 12:45 pm

» Rear Amber Marker Lights Sucessfully Completed
Needing a trunk I_icon_minitimeby VictorLouis Yesterday at 5:57 am

» Greetings from Ireland
Needing a trunk I_icon_minitimeby VictorLouis Yesterday at 5:43 am

» Finally! Hello fellow owners.
Needing a trunk I_icon_minitimeby VictorLouis Yesterday at 3:42 am

» Bestem 929 Install
Needing a trunk I_icon_minitimeby Bearly the biker Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:56 pm

Needing a trunk I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:09 am

» Drive Belt measurement
Needing a trunk I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:13 am

» New Winger
Needing a trunk I_icon_minitimeby Murf Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:33 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Needing a trunk

Go down 
AuthorMessage
josephthediviner
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2020-03-08

Needing a trunk Empty
PostSubject: Needing a trunk   Needing a trunk I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2020 10:52 am

I am hoping to find both the trunk and silverwing specific mount.  I have looked at the Givi line and while it's a nice quality item I would like to keep enough money to put some gas in the tank.  96 for the base and 275 or more for the basic trunk.    I am hoping to find something gently used.  if so let me know and I will pay for the shipping as well.  Thanks   Jim   "jimnatkinson@gmail.com"
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3290
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Needing a trunk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Needing a trunk   Needing a trunk I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2020 11:48 am

Kappa boxes are cheaper.
Back to top Go down
josephthediviner
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Needing a trunk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Needing a trunk   Needing a trunk I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2020 3:13 pm

Thank you Mike. I will keep trying to find something to fit this scooter here in the states it's pretty tough to find a maxi at all My last scoot was a 15 Tmax that I loved the silver wing is clunky in comparison it rides well in the interstate highway but handling is iffy. I may rerun the saddlesore 1000 on this scooter and see how it performs. One question is it normal to have some belt squeal when it's cool the first 20 kms. or so? new belt installed by honda dealer a week before I bought it. it reminds me of just a belt slipping.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 895
Registration date : 2016-01-02

Needing a trunk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Needing a trunk   Needing a trunk I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2020 3:29 pm

Look into SHAD top cases. I've been using a smaller one for 5 years and no problems. It's on the smaller size 33L . Mount will bolt directly to rack and case to that. If you remove rack there are 4 spots to drill already built in once you see bottom it's obvious.
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2018-07-16

Needing a trunk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Needing a trunk   Needing a trunk I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2020 8:38 pm

My wife's Swing has a GIVI trunk and I don't recall any special adapter to mount the trunk to the rack. If you want, PM me a cel number and I'll get some pictures for you.

I love SHAD trunks. Have a SH39 still in the box for a project. You can open the SHADs without a key. Need a key every time you open the GIVI.

I also have a Kappa 37 liter on my scooter. They are "cheaper" GIVI trunks made by GIVI. I like mine even though you need a key to open it. It's a good looking trunk. That trumps the key opening.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2597
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Needing a trunk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Needing a trunk   Needing a trunk I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2020 1:08 am

I have a Givi on my SW. It mounts on a Givi mount which can neatly be bolted to the SW's tail piece. The trunk will come off the scooter with the key and a push of a button. Very good quality. The mount looks very unobtrusive when the trunk is off the bike. I've tested the trumk mounting by going down a runway at approximately 100mph with the empty trunk mounted. I didn't feel much if any difference in bike handling or new noises. The airport I tested the trunk on only had one runway and not much wind so there was no way to check the thing out with any crosswinds.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 3459
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Needing a trunk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Needing a trunk   Needing a trunk I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2020 3:33 am

I have a Givi E52 top box fitted with Givi back rest sitting on my garage shelf which I haven't used since I bought my E55, to Mrs M it's just more of my clutter that I should be getting rid of and she's right

What can I say about the post above, if you're going to ride round with an empty top box why fit one at all, unless you want somewhere to store your helmet.  I've covered thousands of miles with fully loaded Givi top boxes on a variety of maxi scooters from 250 to 650cc on UK and European motorways. They don't make the slightest difference to stability, handling, overtaking, manoeuvrability, or anything else on you do on the move.

That Givi E55 is now fitted to my 300cc Forza, and it's a better addition than the overpriced 45 litre colour matchedoffering from Honda.

The one exception is a large maxi scooter like a Silver Wing or 650 Burgman with a fully loaded top box will take a bit more effort to haul onto it's main stand.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Needing a trunk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Needing a trunk   Needing a trunk I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2020 4:12 am

Why not just buy a cheap generic topbox and fixing base plate? The bike already has a rack to attach the plate to.
Plenty on ebay for a fraction of the cost of a givi.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 1808
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Needing a trunk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Needing a trunk   Needing a trunk I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2020 7:57 am

I have been using an EMGO on my SWing since 2012, before that it was on a KLR that I owned. The price is great and it holds up VERY well. Only caveat is it is not as big as some of the Givi's.

https://www.amazon.com/Emgo-72-32440-Travel-Trunk/dp/B000GVD0VE
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2018-07-16

Needing a trunk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Needing a trunk   Needing a trunk I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2020 10:50 am

Forgot about EMGO. They are very nice for the money. I gave away one not to long ago. I had it on 3 pedal start mopeds over time. It had some rash from a fall but still worked perfect.
Back to top Go down
josephthediviner
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Needing a trunk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Needing a trunk   Needing a trunk I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2020 5:17 pm

Thanks everyone for your reply's and advice.  I found a site that carries the Kappa brand and ordered a trunk and mounting plate.  price was more reasonable than the Givi and free shipping.  here is a link to the page. https://tourandride.com/collections/monokey-cases/products/k56nt-monokey-tech-case-56ltr
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Needing a trunk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Needing a trunk   Needing a trunk I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2020 6:31 pm

That Givi case is the one I put on my scooter. That Kappa case looks like a good copy of my Givi.

Note to Meldrew: I often run errands to the store and use the top box. It would seem foolish to keep putting it on and taking it off. Since I keep my two pair of gloves in the top box I normally stick my Bluetooth equipped helmet in the Givi when parking. Leaves the under seat storage free for groceries and such. Seems better to have one on the scooter than needing it and not having it with you.

But then I don't think so negatively as you do so I guess that's just different strokes...
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Needing a trunk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Needing a trunk   Needing a trunk I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2020 7:14 pm

Note to exavid: so I'm negative. Now that is rich coming from a 77 year old bloke who's bullshitting about hooning down an airfield runway at approximately 100 mph, claiming it was to test the stability of an empty top box. Rolling Eyes

'Tower to all incoming aircraft, hold up a bit. We've currently got this old fella on a scooter loose on the runway. He has this empty plastic box on the rear carrier he's worried about. So we're letting him go flat out down the runway, just to see if anything wobbles'.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Needing a trunk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Needing a trunk   Needing a trunk I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2020 1:10 am

Actually it was a friend's private community airstrip. I've flown a rented aircraft a few times from there. No tower, little traffic it's an uncontrolled airstrip. Nice place to go to. I am still sorry I no longer own an airplane, once in a while I have to go rent one, kind of a trip down memory lane.
Back to top Go down
Hiyo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Hiyo

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2019-10-22

Needing a trunk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Needing a trunk   Needing a trunk I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2020 3:57 pm

I usually keep my wife in the underseat storage area. That keeps the trunk free for the booze. She gets a little noisy around 60mph but the wind noise drowns er out around a hundred ish.
Back to top Go down
josephthediviner
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Needing a trunk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Needing a trunk   Needing a trunk I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2020 1:58 pm

Ok the trunk is installed and it went really well but like most things I was wishing for three hands again. it's huge but I can get used to it. Thanks again for all of the input I hadn't heard of kappa brand before and yep it's a Givi knockoff but seems to be of good quality only time will tell. Shalom Jim
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Needing a trunk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Needing a trunk   Needing a trunk I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2020 3:06 pm

josephthediviner wrote:
I hadn't heard of kappa brand before and yep it's a Givi knockoff but seems to be of good quality only time will tell.   Shalom  Jim

Kappa isn't a knockoff brand at all, yes it does manufacture a lot of products identical to Givi at a slightly lower price, and other accessories Givi doesn't.

The two brands complement each other, as Kappa is owned and managed by a member of the same Italian family that owns Givi.
Back to top Go down

Needing a trunk
Page 1 of 1