Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Not a Silverwing but "older brother" I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Yesterday at 10:55 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Not a Silverwing but "older brother" I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Not a Silverwing but "older brother" I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Not a Silverwing but "older brother" I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Not a Silverwing but "older brother" I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Not a Silverwing but "older brother" I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Not a Silverwing but "older brother" I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Not a Silverwing but "older brother" I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Not a Silverwing but "older brother" I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

» Greetings From 'Phoenix'
Not a Silverwing but "older brother" I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:07 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Not a Silverwing but "older brother"

Go down 
+4
john grinsel
Loosemarbles
Cosmic_Jumper
VictorLouis
8 posters
AuthorMessage
FutureSWinger?
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2016-11-01

Not a Silverwing but "older brother" Empty
PostSubject: Not a Silverwing but "older brother"   Not a Silverwing but "older brother" I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2020 1:57 pm

No access to a Helix forum at the moment so thought I'd inquire here.

Currently looking at stock '86 Helix with new tires and battery but original drive belt. Would anyone change belt seeing bike has less than 5K on odometer? Why/why not?

And yes, I'm still looking to get a Silverwing, too. Thanks all.
Back to top Go down
VictorLouis
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2020-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Not a Silverwing but "older brother"   Not a Silverwing but "older brother" I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2020 2:04 pm

35yr-old belt, I might be inclined to. I bought my '09 TMax with 757miles on it. Garaged or not, I put new tires on it to be safe. I bet that drive belt has some rubber or synthetic in it which would be degraded with age. But, I'll leave it to better minds that mine, here.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Not a Silverwing but "older brother"   Not a Silverwing but "older brother" I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2020 4:05 pm

There are a couple of Helix-centric forums on FaceBook. Below is a link one one. There is also the Slonaker forum which the legendary Randy Pozzi frequents.

+ 1 to what VictorLouis says about the belt change.

http://www.slonaker.net/helixforum/index.php

https://m.facebook.com/groups/132181285040/

Tim

PS: Let me know when you find that new Siverwing. We can change your screen name to something more appropriate and to your liking.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1561
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Not a Silverwing but "older brother"   Not a Silverwing but "older brother" I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2020 11:22 am

FutureSWinger ay? It might get you invited to some interesting parties...after the lockdown of course!
Back to top Go down
FutureSWinger?
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Not a Silverwing but "older brother"   Not a Silverwing but "older brother" I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2020 11:36 am

Only from people reading this forum.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1561
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Not a Silverwing but "older brother"   Not a Silverwing but "older brother" I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2020 11:49 am

Mmmmmmm........hadn't thought of that. Well at least we'll already be aquainted Shocked

BTW, always fancied a Helix myself....
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Not a Silverwing but "older brother"   Not a Silverwing but "older brother" I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2020 12:01 pm

Had 4 new Helix, 175,000 miles with them, like them----change belt, tires including valve stems, check rubber intake manifold (they break even on new bikes), probably change front brake fluid, battery?, coolant and check hoses----remembering this is old bike----check wheels as the cast wheel did not come around until 1990.
Back to top Go down
Murf
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Murf

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Not a Silverwing but "older brother"   Not a Silverwing but "older brother" I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2020 2:23 pm

The Helix was always an interesting scooter, you either loved them or hated them. The SW is a great choice to ride, powerful, great handling, good weather protection. The Helix is nice for around town.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Not a Silverwing but "older brother"   Not a Silverwing but "older brother" I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2020 2:39 pm

It seems rather strange to me why you'd buy a Helix from a year way back like 1986. I had a new US spec Helix from 1996 - 2004 and I had some very enjoyable tours on it. Unlike the original metallic maroon, steel wheel models that Honda UK imported from 1989 - 91, my Helix was a very nice gloss black, and had alloy wheels.

I've seen a few Helix's in Mediterranean countries in the last couple of years and almost all are now looking really scruffy and tired. Headlights and screens all cloudy with UV damage, torn seats, and black plastic parts now faded to grey, which isn't surprising given their age.

I'm really glad I owned a Helix where they were the original maxi scooter and an oddity. I actually regretted selling mine for a few years afterwards. Now it's 'been there, done that'

Although if I went all nostalgic and was after buying another one I'd go for a much later year. As far as I'm aware Honda stopped manufacturing the Helix in 2001. But due to demand from enthusiasts they started producing a limited number around 2004 -2005. They're the later year models I be after if I wanted another one, but looking about online there doesn't seem to be the range of accessories around for them that they used to be.
Back to top Go down
FutureSWinger?
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Not a Silverwing but "older brother"   Not a Silverwing but "older brother" I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2020 4:17 pm

All great points. As stated in the past on this site, I've owned two: a black '94 and...another one. I sold them 13 years ago and never forgot how great it was riding.

Due to having the "itch" to ride, the Helix was the closest/quickest "scratch". The S'Wing is obviously the best purchase but current funds would have allowed for the Helix...sooner.

The lesson has been learned. I will wait for the S'Wing. Hopefully my next post will be a true introduction of my new (to me) Silverwing. Thanks all.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Not a Silverwing but "older brother"   Not a Silverwing but "older brother" I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2020 6:01 pm

With the Covid-19 pandemic taking it's daily toll on populations worldwide, I'm quite amazed that buying a 'new to them' Silver Wing, or any maxi scooter generally is a priority for anyone at the moment.  

I think I've been rather frivolous just buying a few new bits of riding kit over the last few months.
Back to top Go down
Hiyo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Hiyo

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2019-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Not a Silverwing but "older brother"   Not a Silverwing but "older brother" I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2020 5:30 pm

I don't think there are any restrictions on maxi scooter buying presently, at least not where I live. We're gonna be ok.
Back to top Go down
Hiyo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Hiyo

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2019-10-22

PostSubject: Old timey maxi   Not a Silverwing but "older brother" I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2020 5:40 pm

Hard to go wrong with a serviceable Honda of any sort. If you have places to ride that Helix keep it, wait and buy a Swing later or sooner if you could. For going long the Swing is excellent. The Helix is good too for going long too but at moderate speeds, it is only 12 hp. I believe. To be sure it gets better mileage and is fast becoming a modern classic.
I don't think there are any restrictions on maxi scooter buying presently, at least not where I live. We're gonna be ok.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not a Silverwing but "older brother"   Not a Silverwing but "older brother" I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Not a Silverwing but "older brother"
Page 1 of 1