Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me) I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me) I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me) I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me) I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me) I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me) I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me) I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me) I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me) I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me) I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me)

Go down 
+7
Skynight
oldwingguy
GHM-PM
john grinsel
The Bern
sc00ter
ronv386
11 posters
AuthorMessage
ronv386
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2019-06-07

About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me) Empty
PostSubject: About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me)   About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me) I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2019 5:18 pm

Where, or where to start?

With me.

My name is Ron V. Elsewhere on the net, I can go by ronv386, ronv904 or ronv407 ( depending on where I am living when I created the account ). I currently live in Altamonte Springs, Fl., but used the 386 version as I just recently started a new job in Daytona Beach, and am hoping to move there soon.

So, first off, Kudos to: Chasing Photography Films ( This is how he addresses himself on YouTube, not sure how here ), as I come to this site via his vlog.

Next, like him, I originally had an interest in the Honda Gold Wing, but like him, found the newer bikes pricey. As for me, I went to a dealer and actually got on a bike, and found that this thing was bigger than I was! ( I stand at 5'6" and when I straddled the bike off it's stand, I found that I was on tippy toes....), so even though the dealer assured me that they can "fix it with a short link", I walked away a bit disappointed.

So, I decided to look at the Silver Wing, but then I was disappointed to learn that Honda doesn't sell them in the states. So, I come to this forum.

Does anyone know if there is a dealer in Central Florida, that has one that I can " kick the tires " with? I'm not yet ready to buy, but I want to "feel" one to motivate me.

Also, are there any Silver Wing groups in the Central Florida area, some place to see where people are proud of their 'Wings, and can talk face to face with? Videos of the Silver Wing seem scarce on YouTube, and are mostly out of the US.

Thank you,

Ron V

P. S. the closest thing I come to riding was a Vespa clone 50cc, that I had for a year while making payments on it, and was soon after stolen,  I needed a better ride to work anyway, so ended up in a car.

Just thought of something while reading some other post. At this point, I don't know anything about motorcycles or scooters, but I am good with tools ( was a computer tech for about 30 years ). If you don't mind training, and you're working on SilverWing, I don't mind learning by helping you at your place, so long as you are between Altamonte Springs and Daytona Beach, Fl. I am currently working full time in Daytona, working 4 10 hour shifts, and am off Wed, Fri and Sat.

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:46 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : adding information)
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2018-07-16

PostSubject: Re: About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me)   About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me) I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2019 6:04 pm

Welcome to the site! Im pretty sure there is someone in FL that will meet up with you, and Im also pretty sure you can find a nice used Swing in FL for a great price. They are great scooters, VERY durable, virtually no issues and cheap to insure and operate. They are just super-sized scooters, no fancy transmissions or any flashy tech, just good, honest, proven technology. I downsized from a Burgman 200 to a Liberty 150. I also have a bone stock, mint 98 Zuma. My wife has a SilverWing. I like riding her Swing! Did that sound naughty?
Back to top Go down
ronv386
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me)   About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me) I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2019 6:22 pm

I'm biting my tongue Neutral Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
ronv386
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me)   About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me) I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2019 6:23 pm

... but I appreciate your replying, and you've answered some of my unasked questions as well Smile
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me)   About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me) I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2019 7:05 am

Smile Hello & Welcome bud Smile
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me)   About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me) I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2019 8:20 am

First remember SilverWing is no longer a current model----some leftover 2012/2013 new may still be able to be found.

Suggest you get lic. first---MSF courses seem to be source in US.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me)   About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me) I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2019 8:06 am

Look on Craigslist and usually you can find a dealer that has a new or used Silver Wing. Search for Silver Wing or Silverwing. People put them up both ways. I think the Wing will do fine at your height, the step-thru frame makes "flat-footing" the scooter easy. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me)   About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me) I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2019 9:18 am

Welcome aboard from o-HI-o. See your new ride in person, don't commit based on a picture like a friend did, wasted trip on his part.
Back to top Go down
Skynight
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Skynight

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2019-06-22

PostSubject: Re: About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me)   About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me) I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 23, 2019 11:03 pm

Welcome! I am a newbie on the silverwing, but been on bikes all my life. A lifetime ago, I was with the Daytona beach police department...I miss the beach! I had a 750 Suzuki back then. Back in the late 70’s early 80’s you could ride from ponce inlet all the way past ormond to Flagler on the beach! There used to be 23 drivable miles, now they have car free zones. But a bike on the beach, 10 mile speed limit, no helmet...I will never forget those rides.
About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me) 151e5d10
Back to top Go down
http://johnbrownlaw.com/
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me)   About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me) I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2019 8:36 am

Hi Ron V and welcome to the best SWing site on the net. If you can find a good used SWing that's in decent shape I don't think you'll be disappointed with it. They are great scooters and will do Interstate speeds without breathing hard. I've had my 08 SWing for 5 years now and haven't had any problems with it. I've learned how to do my own work on it just by being a member here. Normal maintenance isn't all that hard and it's kind of fun doing it yourself. Just use the search box in the upper left to find something or ask a question and you should get pointed in the right direction.
Back to top Go down
ronv386
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me)   About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me) I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2020 12:18 pm

Thanks, guys, still pretty much playing wallflower, but learning a lot!

Ron V.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me)   About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me) I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2020 12:46 am

Skynight, your avatar makes me homesick for Alaska. I used to fly in NW Alaska and then later in SE Alaska. Relocation to Oregon to be near our grandkids... oh yeah their parents too, ended any practicality of keeping an aircraft now. Not to mention old age. Pretty picture, I can feel the throttles in my right hand.. or is that neuropathy?
Back to top Go down
Osprey
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2018-06-30

PostSubject: Re: About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me)   About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me) I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2020 12:05 pm

Welcome, Welcome!

This site is the best place for great people on all things Honda Swing.

I'm 5'3' and find the Swing easy to handle.  Courses and Safety will help you know the bike handles etc.  (I bought the download of Motorman's Ride Like a Pro and it is great, at least, for me.)

A great way to find Swing's for sale is through cycletrader.com Click on url for the Swing.  You can even filter by state and year etc.  Have fun!
https://www.cycletrader.com/Honda-Silver-Wing/motorcycles-for-sale?make=Honda%7C2316874&model=SILVER%20WING%7C764946853[/url]
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me)   About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me) I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2020 3:02 pm

I second the recommendation of Jerry Paladino's video, "Ride Like a Pro". It applies mostly to motorcycles but the basics of sharp turns at low speed applies to scooters as well. When I first got a heavy motorcycle, a '93 Goldwing, I had difficulty making a U turn on a one lane road. Jerry's video was a big help. I went out on the GL and tried his method and was able to make lock to lock figure eights on the same road.
Back to top Go down
Michel Vachon
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2019-03-26

PostSubject: Re: About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me)   About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me) I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2020 8:39 pm

Hello Ron V. and welcome in the family.

I am Michel from Granby Qc.
I just turn 63 and so far owned over 40 motorcycles.

Beleive me you will not regret if you buy a Swing. They are easy handling in town and can cruise on highway for short or long trip... I am planing to go see my niece in B.C. and coming back  to go see her sister in Montana in two years from now... Motor is smooth and from all the information I can read and hear, they are very reliable with a bullet proof engine. Saw some pic of speedometer with over 150,000 kilometer on. I personaly purchase a Swing in summer of 2018 and I liked so mush that I bought 3 others at the end of last automn. I sold one this winter to a friend and another one  will be for sell. It is a 2009 (burgandy) with around 43,000 kilometers. I was riding it  before winter and it is a charm like all the other one. If your interested let me know and we will talk avout it. It surely will be cheap for you because of the value of US money compare to our over here....

Buy mine or another one you will love it I am 200% sure !

Michel thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me)   About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

About me ( I guess just for this post it's all about me)
Page 1 of 1