Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
LED Mirrors I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
LED Mirrors I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
LED Mirrors I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
LED Mirrors I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
LED Mirrors I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
LED Mirrors I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
LED Mirrors I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
LED Mirrors I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
LED Mirrors I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
LED Mirrors I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

LED Mirrors

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2019-04-09

LED Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: LED Mirrors   LED Mirrors I_icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2019 4:20 am

Put these mirrors on yesterday and wired up as intructions say at the bottom of the page (a bit vague being from China, but not too hard). Orange wire (which is actually "Yellow" to positive from indicators, then Green & Blue to ground on indicators produces NO Lights, but with just the Green to ground, the stem part of the LED's work with indicators, can't seem to work out why that's happening. I have messaged them but not holding my breath for a reply !!....... Puzzled now Exclamation Exclamation
See link
Kev

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8mm-10mm-Motorcycle-Square-Handleabr-Side-Rearview-Mirrors-LED-Light-for-Yamaha/283121313475

LED Mirrors Mirror10
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

LED Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Mirrors   LED Mirrors I_icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2019 7:01 am

All sorted, they had put the colours down wrong in the instructions, just done a trial and error with a little PP9 battery and sorted it. The only thing I corrected was, to have all the lights on mirror blink as a stable light in orange in the UK could be mistaken as an indicator on by some road users. Happy with the mirrors.LED Mirrors Screen10
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

LED Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Mirrors   LED Mirrors I_icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2019 8:11 am

GoonerKev wrote:
 The only thing I corrected was, to have all the lights on mirror blink as a stable light in orange in the UK could be mistaken as an indicator on by some road users.  

Always on orange position lights (sidelights) are now permitted in the UK bud (EU hamonisation directive) & are fitted as standard on the new Honda Forza 300, they are VERY noticeable in rear view mirrors, personally I think they are a great added visibility 'safety feature'
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

LED Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Mirrors   LED Mirrors I_icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2019 9:37 am

Thanks Bern, yeah my mate has the new Forza and I must admit it they stood out. Trouble is, these don't seem to want to do that, although the blurb says they do !!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

LED Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Mirrors   LED Mirrors I_icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2019 2:53 am

Surprising as an owner of a new Forza with LED running lights/indicators in the bodywork mounted mirrors, they don't seem as bright to me as the bulb running lights/ indicators on the US spec CN 250 Helix I had from 1996-2004. They're certainly not as conspicuous as running lights as those big bright eyebrow LED's above the LED headlights, and I'd say that's the way they were designed to be.
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

LED Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Mirrors   LED Mirrors I_icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2019 3:13 am

Meldrew
When he pulled up on it at the Fire Station, that was the first thing that stood out on the bike to me, his were very bright mate.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

LED Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Mirrors   LED Mirrors I_icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2019 4:44 am

Yo Kev,  I haven't noticed much in my mirrors on the occasions I've ridden behind my fellow Forza owner Brubaker, and he's never said anything about mine. Maybe it's because we don't ride as close together as the groups of weekend throttle jockeys round here. The only minus point on the new Forza are the bodywork mirrors themselves, while it's nice to have mirrors that fold in, the mounting stems should have been a couple of inches longer.  Other new Forza owners have remarked on it.

As for the Silver Wing's OE mirrors, they weren't great either. They had a habit of coming loose unless threadlocked and the stems were too short, giving a great view of your shoulders. Like lots of other owners I fitted a set of mirror extenders which improved things but made it easier to brush against getting to push bikes and things in my garage.

A year or so before I sold the Silver Wing, I fitted a set of Magazi universal mirrors which have an adjustable elbow joint on the mirror stem. They were a great improvement as I could get move the stems up or down to get exactly the rear view I wanted.

Of course I didn't sell the Silver Wing with those mirrors, or the mirror extenders on, they came off along with my Airflow, DennisB sat nav mount and some other useful bits.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

LED Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Mirrors   LED Mirrors I_icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2019 6:22 am

Meldrew wrote:
Maybe it's because we don't ride as close together as the groups of weekend throttle jockeys round here.

Hi bud :Happy Holiday: Don't think me on the Virago & Lyn (kayz1) on his Forza a 100yds or more behind me quite qualify as throttle jockeys these days Wink Laughing
The Virago mirrors are quite big & well positioned, those yellow lights really do stand out bud
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

LED Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Mirrors   LED Mirrors I_icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2019 6:37 am

I'm posting this sitting on the naughty step reflecting on the error of my ways bud. Smile
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

LED Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Mirrors   LED Mirrors I_icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2019 6:46 am

Laughing Laughing

Forza is a great machine bud, I think the 300-400 cc range is the way forward, with modern technology the performance & economy are light years ahead of what we grew up riding.
Just a word of warning (in case you've not read it elsewhere) if you have the Forza on the centre-stand with the engine running, DON'T blip the throttle, as, with the front wheel stationary the computer will see an ABS fault, which is a ride to the dealer to have cleared from memory.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

LED Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Mirrors   LED Mirrors I_icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2019 3:07 am

Hi bud, the new crop of 300 maxi scooters do seem to have all the bases covered. Honda, Yamaha, and Kawasaki are on the ball, if only our SYM and Kymco importers could get their acts together like them.

I haven't read anything about not blipping the throttle when the Forza is on the centre stand as it triggers an ABS fault, thanks for the info which I'll pass on to old Brubaker in case he ever gets the urge. Smile
Back to top Go down
Lost it
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2019-05-13

LED Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Mirrors   LED Mirrors I_icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2019 4:50 am

That's interesting... When I've done that on the VFR, both of them in fact, a simple recycling of the ignition turned it off. The light will come on until the road speed got to circa 5mph then turn off. I wonder what Honda have done.

Which country is the Forza built in?
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

LED Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Mirrors   LED Mirrors I_icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2019 6:19 am

Ahh, does the VFR have traction control bud ? It was explained to me but my memory isn't as sharp these days, Forza has ABS & traction control & at some point in the computors they 'talk' to each other, it's got something to do with the rear wheel revving while the front is stationary, I THINK the traction control uses the the ABS in some way to stop the wheel spinning, but that's only a guess on my part as it's the only reason I can think it would generate an ABS fault.

I believe the Forza is built in Italy ?
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

LED Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Mirrors   LED Mirrors I_icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2019 7:29 am

Good guess bud,   Smile   but this is not just traction control (as M&S might say), this is Honda Selectable Torque Control (HSTC) and the first time the system has been fitted to a Honda scooter. It works by detecting any difference between the front and rear wheel speeds, calculates the slip ratio and then controls engine torque via the fuel injection to regain rear wheel traction.

I can switch the HSTC on or off via a switch on the left handlebar, it's usually on and a 'T' indicator appears in the digital display at engine start then goes out. The 'T' indicator in the digital display flickers when the system is working to manage grip.

Here endeth the lesson. study
Back to top Go down
Lost it
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

LED Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Mirrors   LED Mirrors I_icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2019 12:25 pm

Pretty much the same on the 8th gen VFR. Pretty crude if I'm honest, it compares front and rear wheel speed much as the ABS does, but it cuts the injector from two pots out of the 4, it being a V the power pulses are quite pleasant except when the TC cuts in. It's almost as if someone snatched the brakes on.

Default position with me is off. Unless it's raining heavily, even then I think on my none TC Vtec I've only ever had it step out once in heavy rain, I just don't ride like that on public roads.

TBH there are bikes with TC these days that you can ride really hard and be barely aware of the that TC operation has occurred, unless you are watching the dash panel. Honda haven't done themselves any favours using the "Pound Shop" version of TC.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

LED Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Mirrors   LED Mirrors I_icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2019 1:33 pm

Why are you wittering on about bikes and your VFR's yet again. You do realise that you're not unique and the vast majority of us had bikes for many years before getting into maxi scooters, You're basically a newbie to the Silver Wing and here you now dissing a new Honda maxi scooter you know basically zilch about.

Whether it's Pound Shop traction control or not, it's part of the new Forza package like the full LED lights, multi mode digital information display, electric screen, Smart Key ignition, and those mirrors with combined running lights and mirrors.

The seat is all day comfortable working well with those bog standard rear shocks, and it's really fun to ride here round the Howardian Hills, Yorkshire Wolds, North York Moors, over to the Dales for some pie and mash, heading West over the A66 Pennines to Cumbria, or just covering motorway miles.

The OE Pirelli Scorpion tyres are miles better than I thought, and as the Forza is 140 lbs lighter than the Silver Wing, it feels as nimble as my first few rides on the Silver Wing after a couple of years riding the lardass 650 Burgman.

If we have another scorcher of a summer I'll be able to lower that electric screen to get some air through to my mesh jacket and cooling vest. Something that was difficult to do riding my Silver Wing with it's Airflow screen.

Want more, the Forza belt is good for 18000 miles not 12000, I no longer have to delve around under the scooter to get at the oil filter, it's easy access on the side. There's not one but two oil drain plugs, and they're proper steel ones so there's no soft alloy cam cover type oil plug like the Silver Wings with easily damaged corners.

I'm getting well over 90mpg, have a 200 plus mile tank range and get instant read outs for average mpg, current mpg, remaining tank range, etc.

So this really this new Forza despite it's Pound Shop traction control really is the dogs bollocks, even though to use your words it's not a 'proper bike', and unlike those VFR's of yours I don't get piss wet through when it rains.

Right I'm all curmudgeoned out now, and I'm done playing tit for tat with you.
Back to top Go down
Lost it
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

LED Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Mirrors   LED Mirrors I_icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2019 2:15 pm

Because it's a free country. And you have no right whatever to tell me what I can post.
Go boil your head.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

LED Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Mirrors   LED Mirrors I_icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2019 3:30 pm

Here we go again.  Rolling Eyes  Of course you can post what you like, just as I can reply to or ignore your posts.

You're taking this Meldrew, Yorkshire grump, and curmudgeon stuff far too seriously. I'm not the one that's 'Lost it' by getting all wound up and telling someone to go boil their head.

Now let's both take a time out.
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

LED Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Mirrors   LED Mirrors I_icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2019 5:12 pm

I thought this post was about my LED Mirrors Exclamation
Time to cool Gentlemen, there's enough animosity in this world as it is

thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Lost it
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

LED Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Mirrors   LED Mirrors I_icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2019 1:59 am

GoonerKev, I picked up on this subject because my 8th Gen VFR came with LED marker lights on the mirrors and LED indicators too, and whilst I'm of a mind that relying on other drivers to see your lights is a trip to nowhere, as far as I'm concerned, for instance, I'm invisible to road users, I expect them to pull out, do U turns, stop, open doors, pull out, change lanes etc. And that style of riding has kept me rubber side down since the late 1970's...
But saying that, anything that might give a bit more visibility has to be positive. So Ill be looking at putting these on mine.
As to the so called "Curmudgeon" he comes across to new visitors such as myself as a thoroughly nasty piece of work, and personally I won't be bullied, intimidated, trolled, talked down to by anyone. I don't have enough life left to care about people such as that.
I'm sure the people in charge of monitoring the site will decide if I'm suitable here. I don't frequent many sites, the Jaguar UK forum being the main one, same persona, same name.
Again thanks for the heads up on these mirrors. My list of "stuff to do" to my Wing is growing well.. Have to have a hobby don't we?
Back to top Go down
Lost it
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

LED Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Mirrors   LED Mirrors I_icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2019 3:08 am

Ordered a set anyway. Nothing to lose but a few hours of my time 😉
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

LED Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Mirrors   LED Mirrors I_icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2019 4:26 am

Lost it
Youv'e hit the nail on the head there.

1. It is a hobby, and that's what I am doing to mine. Adding your own personal taste on your bike as you want it to look and ride, I too was shot down the other day by a member on here for changing or adding too many things to my bike...... My Bike, My Money, My Hobby, My Choice end of.

2. Being visible to other road users is a MUST, and as iv'e said before, in my job I have seen horrible sights of bike accidents of not being seen.

Now back to the original Post, My new mirrors did not like being wired up as instructions said, ie
LED on back of mirror illuminated all the time (Running Lights), and stem lights as indy's. So I have wired them up as both lights on mirror flash, got in touch with seller and they are sending out another pair, lets see if they work better !!!

Kev
Back to top Go down
Lost it
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

LED Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Mirrors   LED Mirrors I_icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2019 6:31 am

I intend using mine to commute 160 miles a day once I've lost the need to drive a cage to work, so it will be a well used bike by the end of my ownership. There are a few niggles, the hand brake doesn't work, it needs a front mudguard, a few scrapes will get some attention too, just to smarten it up. Washed when it rains, but otherwise mechanically looked after as it will be earning me a living.

I did some work a few years back "G28's" if you know what they are, I've also seen my fair share of wasted lives unfortunately. Quite sobering.
Much easier life managing the converting of old "Toys"R"Us" stores into new Aldi supermarkets..
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

LED Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Mirrors   LED Mirrors I_icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2019 12:01 pm

"I did some work a few years back "G28's" if you know what they are, I've also seen my fair share of wasted lives unfortunately. Quite sobering.
Much easier life managing the converting of old "Toys"R"Us" stores into new Aldi supermarkets..
"

Good for you mate Wink
Back to top Go down

LED Mirrors
Page 1 of 1